ADVERTISEMENT

UConn gets jobbed

Wazzubrooz

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2020
Man, what a lame, unfair call at the end with 9 seconds left and UConn trailing by 1. The ref calls a phantom foul on a screen that was an acting job. I’m practically convinced that big time sports are rigged and the darling that is no. 1 seed and “supposed “ to wins is helped out with a ridiculous call. F that.

Reactions: LeachPack
Man, what a lame, unfair call at the end with 9 seconds left and UConn trailing by 1. The ref calls a phantom foul on a screen that was an acting job. I’m practically convinced that big time sports are rigged and the darling that is no. 1 seed and “supposed “ to wins is helped out with a ridiculous call. F that.

Yeah. It was a tough call. Refs don’t have all the camera angles

Reactions: Coug90
Yeah. It was a tough call. Refs don’t have all the camera angles
It’s tough. Where do you draw the line. If something is obvious enough it should be called at any point in the game.

Also they allow a ton of contact in the women’s game. Probably should swallow the whistle there I guess.

Reactions: kougkurt
Ok buddy, you and whoever the F "josh Reynolds" is, are both full of shit. The refs are paid off to rig a last second call? Big time sports are rigged? What the F ever. I bet you are a Trumper too.

I don't claim to be an expert on blocking/screening rules. Basically you have to be set and stand there, arms and elbows in, while your teammate curls around you and the defender smacks into your screen? I watched this clip about 20 times. Was she moving? yeah, well maybe, maybe not. Did she sort of flex her elbows/arms up? Yeah, well kinda maybe. A foul that if called any other time in the game would get ZERO controversy.

Lame, unfair and ridiculous? NONE of the above. Debatable, damn close? YES.

Looks like 24 got punched in the face

See her head snap back at the 3 second mark of the Reynolds video?

The play was pretty well defended too. Iowa switched their big - so no guarantee Boekkers hit the shot. They were probably looking to dump it inside to the weak side forward flashing into the post. Again, no guarantee the entry pass is made cleanly.

It was still a foul.
Looking at the slow Mo, not sure there was a ton of acting on her part either. She got blasted by a much larger human.

Speaking of fouls, can’t believe we’ve gotten this far down the thread without a comment from Loyal about 24’s…”talent”.

If you slow mo every screen set they are illegal. She didnt duck her shoulder which is an automatic call.

This shouldn't have been called and they should have let it play out.
Don't disagree that screens are one of the worst officiated things in basketball. I also said watching live it seemed odd to call that in the moment. I don't like refereeing interjecting themselves late in a game, let the players play. But, it is still an illegal screen.

That’s gonna be a foul 10 out of 10 times.

I've watched enough basketball in the past couple months where I can say that it probably gets called 4 out of 10 times at best. The only reason it got called was because the screener was a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier and the little runt guard bounced off of her.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I've watched enough basketball in the past couple months where I can say that it probably gets called 4 out of 10 times at best. The only reason it got called was because the screener was a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier and the little runt guard bounced off of her.
Gabbie Marshall played that screen very well.

Reactions: Coug90
Looking at the slow Mo, not sure there was a ton of acting on her part either. She got blasted by a much larger human.

Speaking of fouls, can’t believe we’ve gotten this far down the thread without a comment from Loyal about 24’s…”talent”.
meh - there were several ladies out the I thought were cuter then 24. UConn #10 for example.

It's fair to say you think it shouldn't have been called.

It's stupid and you should quit being any part of basketball if you think it wasn't a foul.

The way I read it... it was a foul you probably let go, but it wasn't a government conspiracy that it was called.

And it hasn't been here, but it makes me want to puke with how many people have claimed "cause she's White"

Dumb asses

It's fair to say you think it shouldn't have been called.

It's stupid and you should quit being any part of basketball if you think it wasn't a foul.

The way I read it... it was a foul you probably let go, but it wasn't a government conspiracy that it was called.

And it hasn't been here, but it makes me want to puke with how many people have claimed "cause she's White"

Dumb asses

After watching it in super slow motion....it was technically a foul. As I said above (and clarified by CougSinceBirth), the great acting job by Marshall sold the foul as more egregious than it was....and we've all seen moving screens and action around screens where fouls weren't called. Hell, early in the first quarter today, Clark full on pushed a screener out of the way to get to the player she was defending with no foul called.

There are two reasons why I think the ref should have swallowed their whistle. 1) you never want a close call by an official deciding the outcome of the game. In the last 10 seconds, a foul should be a clearcut foul. There are at least 20 more screens per game that should be fouls if that one was. 2) UConn didn't gain any advantage with that screen. The play was well defended by Iowa and there was help defense on the other side of the screen.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
After watching it in super slow motion....it was technically a foul. As I said above (and clarified by CougSinceBirth), the great acting job by Marshall sold the foul as more egregious than it was....and we've all seen moving screens and action around screens where fouls weren't called. Hell, early in the first quarter today, Clark full on pushed a screener out of the way to get to the player she was defending with no foul called.

There are two reasons why I think the ref should have swallowed their whistle. 1) you never want a close call by an official deciding the outcome of the game. In the last 10 seconds, a foul should be a clearcut foul. There are at least 20 more screens per game that should be fouls if that one was. 2) UConn didn't gain any advantage with that screen. The play was well defended by Iowa and there was help defense on the other side of the screen.
This is where the decision has to be made. If it creates an undue advantage, call it. If not, let them play. That should be the standard for just about every play away from the ball. This play - by the letter - was a foul. But it didn’t impact the play.

The protest by the fouled player could have had a greater impact. Instead of running a smooth switch off of the screen, her protest took herself out of the play and left the UConn player wide open. If the ref had swallowed his whistle, she had an open 15-footer that could have been the difference.

The other thing we don’t know is whether the refs had said anything to the teams/players about moving screens before this. It would be odd at this point in the game, since they’d been allowing it for an hour.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth

The obvious counter here is that by not calling the blatant moving screen (it was illegal in all senses) and UConn gets a bucket, the refs have decided the outcome of the game. Yes it was a foul. Yes sometimes it’s not called. If you’re taking that type of a stance against fouls in the last 10 seconds just remove the refs from the court then.

It was the right call. Unfortunate for UConn and the player should have set a better screen.

The obvious counter here is that by not calling the blatant moving screen (it was illegal in all senses) and UConn gets a bucket, the refs have decided the outcome of the game. Yes it was a foul. Yes sometimes it’s not called. If you’re taking that type of a stance against fouls in the last 10 seconds just remove the refs from the court then.

It was the right call. Unfortunate for UConn and the player should have set a better screen.

For me....the bigger issue is perception. Throughout the tournament, it felt like Iowa was getting the benefit of home cooking in every game. Here is a list of the fouls called in the tournament.

Holy Cross 19, Iowa 16
West Virginia 27, Iowa 11
Colorado 15, Iowa 12
LSU 21, Iowa 15
UConn 18, Iowa 9
South Carolina, 17, Iowa 14

In total, there were 40 more fouls called on Iowa's opponents than on the Hawkeyes. Maybe Iowa is the cleanest, purest, least fouling team in the country....or maybe the officials are biased and letting them get away with stuff every game. The West Virginia game in particular was a bunch of home-cooked bullsh!t in favor of Iowa. The UConn game felt the same way...so yeah, it might have been the right call in that moment, but when you watch a team spend a whole game getting screwed over by the refs...maybe it hits harder when the game is decided by a close call with 4.6 seconds left.

For me....the bigger issue is perception. Throughout the tournament, it felt like Iowa was getting the benefit of home cooking in every game. Here is a list of the fouls called in the tournament.

Holy Cross 19, Iowa 16
Colorado 15, Iowa 12
LSU 21, Iowa 15
UConn 18, Iowa 9

In total, there were 40 more fouls called on Iowa's opponents than on the Hawkeyes. Maybe Iowa is the cleanest, purest, least fouling team in the country....or maybe the officials are biased and letting them get away with stuff every game. The West Virginia game in particular was a bunch of home-cooked bullsh!t in favor of Iowa. The UConn game felt the same way...so yeah, it might have been the right call in that moment, but when you watch a team spend a whole game getting screwed over by the refs...maybe it hits harder when the game is decided by a close call with 4.6 seconds left.
A couple of things. There’s always been something to super star treatment. Also though, when someone is so head and shoulders above everyone else skill wise it’s basically impossible to guard them without fouling. That’s Caitlin Clark. As big as the foul disparity may have been, there’s dozens of additional hand check fouls that should be called probably. That certainly explains some of it. And you can’t put her at a disadvantage for being that good, if she’s getting fouled you’ve got to call it.

Holy Cross 19, Iowa 16
Colorado 15, Iowa 12
LSU 21, Iowa 15
UConn 18, Iowa 9

I only watched the last couple of games, but from what I saw the opposing teams were really up in the faces of Clark and others, whereas Iowa tending to give them more space, especially on the perimeter. More aggressive guarding, more fouls.

Holy Cross 19, Iowa 16
Colorado 15, Iowa 12
LSU 21, Iowa 15
UConn 18, Iowa 9

Egad! You’ve uncovered a conspiracy!

Or maybe those refs are subconsciously guilty of micro aggressions against the rest of the field because they aren’t as wholesome and pure as fresh fallen snow like them Iowa girls!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

That is a classic case of a moving screen, might have gotten away with it, if she hadn't thrown the shoulder and the elbow. I realize it's a tough call, at a critical time during the game but you have to plant your feet. She took a HUGE step to her left, so a screen now becomes a moving screen. Her teammate should have taken a closer route to her, so she didn't have to move.

Reactions: LeachPack
A couple of things. There’s always been something to super star treatment. Also though, when someone is so head and shoulders above everyone else skill wise it’s basically impossible to guard them without fouling. That’s Caitlin Clark. As big as the foul disparity may have been, there’s dozens of additional hand check fouls that should be called probably. That certainly explains some of it. And you can’t put her at a disadvantage for being that good, if she’s getting fouled you’ve got to call it.
And, that's nothing new. The best players have always gotten special treatment.

Look at the last minute of the '98 Finals against the Jazz - Michael Jordan knocks the ball from Karl Malone's hands with a hard chop. 10 seconds later he gives Bryan Russell a little off-hand push to clear room for the game-winning shot. Both plays used as evidence that he was the best. But if Malone had knocked it from Jordan in the same way, or if Russell had given Jordan the push, they would have been fouls.

Both the men's and women's tournaments were called far more favorably to the offense than the defense as opposed to the regular season. Most of the league tournaments seemed to lean pretty far toward how the NCAA was going to be called, as prep for the NCAA. What was particularly bad about this call is the ref's decision to call something that had been called only to a limited extent for the entire tournament, including this game...and make that call a game decider. As another poster noted, the ref should have swallowed his whistle in this case, regardless of whether the slo mo could show that it was really a foul. If it was really a foul, then call the darned thing consistently through the tournament and especially in this game. That ref should not officiate another tournament for a while, if ever.

Both the men's and women's tournaments were called far more favorably to the offense than the defense as opposed to the regular season. Most of the league tournaments seemed to lean pretty far toward how the NCAA was going to be called, as prep for the NCAA. What was particularly bad about this call is the ref's decision to call something that had been called only to a limited extent for the entire tournament, including this game...and make that call a game decider. As another poster noted, the ref should have swallowed his whistle in this case, regardless of whether the slo mo could show that it was really a foul. If it was really a foul, then call the darned thing consistently through the tournament and especially in this game. That ref should not officiate another tournament for a while, if ever.
Would have been awesome if they’d stop using basketballs straight out of the box and pumped up to a pressure that would make Tom Brady have an aneurysm.

Slick bouncy balls not good.

Ask Loyal’s exes about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT