ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today

Yes it is a surprise to me to learn that there is no traffic in Seattle or LA. Guess things have changed since I was there last (Seattle, 2 weeks ago). But unlike (apparently) Patrol, I don't attend many uw games (none ever) so I can't comment on that experience. I don't think that UBER drivers have any magical talent to avoid traffic, but maybe they have their own express lane.

Also, this discussion was meant to compare a big market fan's commute to a game to an Eastern Washington fans commute (Spokane, WW, Tri-Cities). From those locations, yes you can wake up and say "let's go to the WSU game" and get there in a semi-reasonable time.

And transit? read back to my questions about charter buses from E. Washington cities...….do they still exist?

There should be buses from Spokane, Tri Cities, Yakima and Wenatchee at minimum going to Pullman on game day. Same for the Puget Sound and the PDX Metro area.

There should be billboards all over those areas promoting the Cougs. Shoot, there is a billboard on the east side of Portland promoting George Fox football.

Again, low hanging fruit at WSU is not picked. Either they don't know how or they don't want to. It's been 100 years, how has this not been figured out by now???

There should be buses from Spokane, Tri Cities, Yakima and Wenatchee at minimum going to Pullman on game day. Same for the Puget Sound and the PDX Metro area. There should be billboards all over those areas promoting the Cougs. Shoot, there is a billboard on the east side of Portland promoting George Fox football.

Well said.

Metro Portland is a very underrated area for WSU support from what I've been told.

Certainly more Cougar Football fans than George Fox Bruins supporters in that region.

Not sure how expensive billboards are, but the WSU Football Radio Network actually has two affiliates in the Portland area.

That says something in itself.

There should be buses from Spokane, Tri Cities, Yakima and Wenatchee at minimum going to Pullman on game day. Same for the Puget Sound and the PDX Metro area.

There should be billboards all over those areas promoting the Cougs. Shoot, there is a billboard on the east side of Portland promoting George Fox football.

Again, low hanging fruit at WSU is not picked. Either they don't know how or they don't want to. It's been 100 years, how has this not been figured out by now???

If you go anywhere near Stadium Way outside Martin after the game, you'll see buses and people getting on them.

Yes it is a surprise to me to learn that there is no traffic in Seattle or LA. Guess things have changed since I was there last (Seattle, 2 weeks ago). But unlike (apparently) Patrol, I don't attend many uw games (none ever) so I can't comment on that experience. I don't think that UBER drivers have any magical talent to avoid traffic, but maybe they have their own express lane.
?

Before I respond, let me quickly say that there’s no need to be petty during an otherwise civil discussion on the betterment of WSU athletics. There are plenty of hate threads in here if that’s your jam.

My point, and you know it, is that fans of programs in bigger geographies don’t have to deal with traffic; as in, they don’t have to drive. You’re right, I do have a lot of experience with UW games. My Mom worked there for 20 years, and my Dad was a season ticket holder there for almost that long. We lived on East side of the lake in Woodinville, and not once did they ever drive to a UW game. The bus was free and fast. Hop on it at 11:00AM anywhere between Federal Way and Everett and you’re there on time for the 12:30 kickoff.

It’s nearly impossible to be a spontaneous WSU fan. Guys at work don’t say on Thursday, hey let’s roll to Pullman for the game on Saturday. It doesn’t happen. It’s a tremendous benefit that UW and bigger market fan bases have.

Population matters, and WSU needs to be more creative than our competitors.

Before I respond, let me quickly say that there’s no need to be petty during an otherwise civil discussion on the betterment of WSU athletics. There are plenty of hate threads in here if that’s your jam.

My point, and you know it, is that fans of programs in bigger geographies don’t have to deal with traffic; as in, they don’t have to drive. You’re right, I do have a lot of experience with UW games. My Mom worked there for 20 years, and my Dad was a season ticket holder there for almost that long. We lived on East side of the lake in Woodinville, and not once did they ever drive to a UW game. The bus was free and fast. Hop on it at 11:00AM anywhere between Federal Way and Everett and you’re there on time for the 12:30 kickoff.

It’s nearly impossible to be a spontaneous WSU fan. Guys at work don’t say on Thursday, hey let’s roll to Pullman for the game on Saturday. It doesn’t happen. It’s a tremendous benefit that UW and bigger market fan bases have.

Population matters, and WSU needs to be more creative than our competitors.

Sorry, didn't mean to be petty. (OK, maybe a little snide, mea culpa :oops:). Completely agree with your last sentence. I think we all do.

That said, I'm still not quite getting your "no traffic" point. Everett and Federal way are 26 and 23-ish miles from the uw. You must have to drive or walk to the bus stop. Then it takes 90 minutes to get to the game? What's the difference between that and spontaneously coming from Spokane?

Regardless, people within reasonable travelling distance by whatever means to games in Seattle, LA or Phoenix number in the millions. WSU and Pullman, a very small fraction of that. So agree again with your last point.

The amount of $ your school spends on football is body language. It is non verbal communication to recruits and fans about how serious you are about being successful. If spending less money and having a smaller stadium worked, why is Alabama winning? How did Oregon go from nowhere to somewhere? A few years back I looked at what school every 4 and 5 star recruit on the West Coast went to and how big their stadium capacity was. Guess how many of them went to a school with a stadium that sat less than 50,000? 1 kid.

It is this type of thinking that has ruined WSU. Less = less. Build it to 75,000. Bring your binoculars.
It is always easier to spend other peoples money. Are you advocating the "Field of Dreams" model, build it and they will come"? In years past that would have worked, or at least the concept that it will work.

But the NCAA, WSU, the Pac 12 and most of the college landscape is in for a rude awakening. College football while a religion in the SEC, the younger fans are now entertained differently and do not have the same level of level of commitment or do I dare say school spirit, right or wrong. With the handheld device they now have more instantaneous options, and they can now be part of the story and instantly post it.

Crowds in football will continue to dwindle. That is not changing anytime soon, no matter what marketing you believe may or may not be getting done.

People will drive to the event if it is what they want to see. There is a concert series in George, WA that is close to nothing. People still go.

WSU has had 100 years to figure this out. They haven’t. Either by choice or they don’t know how. Either way, fire them and get some new people in there.

WSU has had 100 years to figure this out. They haven’t. Either by choice or they don’t know how. Either way, fire them and get some new people in there.

Some of these people are probably lifelong employees of the University.

What about the loyalty and dedication they've devoted to Pullman and WSU?

People will drive to the event if it is what they want to see. There is a concert series in George, WA that is close to nothing. People still go.

There has never been that kind of interest in our football team . Hell from 1930s to 1982 games weeny played in pullman, one third of the season was over before kids get on campus . How do you develop that fandom that it is a religion ?

You can market the crap out of the new fans, the students and the trend is down . It is reality .

Some of these people are probably lifelong employees of the University.

What about the loyalty and dedication they've devoted to Pullman and WSU?

Loyalty goes both ways. The school has provided you a job. You provide the school the work that needs to be done. If the work isn’t getting done, time to go.

If those in the positions can’t get it done it’s time to move on.

Loyalty goes both ways. The school has provided you a job. You provide the school the work that needs to be done. If the work isn’t getting done, time to go.

If those in the positions can’t get it done it’s time to move on.

First of all guys, the people in Athletics that actually make marketing, etc decisions are not lifetime employees. That kind of job turns over frequently. JD Wicker is now AD at San Diego State. The other guy (name escapes me) is now AD at Texas? Dickson - gone and now retired. Sterk - at Mizzou. Moos - at Nebraska. The other Oregon guys - gone.

The one thing that I have harped on forever is the need to sell those tickets one ticket at a time. Or 5. Or 10. And it adds up. That's why I talk about stupid S#1+ like more buses and the return of Cougaire and looking at other charter options. And besides - we are 97% full. So what's the problem anyway?

We just need more money. A big sugar daddy like Oregon or Okie State. A few Microsoft millionaires. That Seahawk/Blazer guy.

First of all guys, the people in Athletics that actually make marketing, etc decisions are not lifetime employees. That kind of job turns over frequently. JD Wicker is now AD at San Diego State. The other guy (name escapes me) is now AD at Texas? Dickson - gone and now retired. Sterk - at Mizzou. Moos - at Nebraska. The other Oregon guys - gone.

The one thing that I have harped on forever is the need to sell those tickets one ticket at a time. Or 5. Or 10. And it adds up. That's why I talk about stupid S#1+ like more buses and the return of Cougaire and looking at other charter options. And besides - we are 97% full. So what's the problem anyway?

We just need more money. A big sugar daddy like Oregon or Okie State. A few Microsoft millionaires. That Seahawk/Blazer guy.

How many billionaires do you know of that give their $$$ to people or organizations that either they dont like or dont respect or feel they wont do a good job with it or have shown they dont know what they are doing???

Once WSU shows that it knows what its doing, once it shows that it knows how to run a tip top football program and that it is committed, I think youll see people dig in. Until then, why would people give their $$$ to someone or thing that has proven they didnt give a shit for 100 years???

If WSU wants big donors for its athletics department, maybe they need to do things that big donors are impressed with???

How many billionaires do you know of that give their $$$ to people or organizations that either they dont like or dont respect or feel they wont do a good job with it or have shown they dont know what they are doing???

Once WSU shows that it knows what its doing, once it shows that it knows how to run a tip top football program and that it is committed, I think youll see people dig in. Until then, why would people give their $$$ to someone or thing that has proven they didnt give a shit for 100 years???

If WSU wants big donors for its athletics department, maybe they need to do things that big donors are impressed with???

I agree. Something big - like going to the Rose Bowl twice in 5 years, winning 10 games 3 years in a row, going bowling 3 years in a row twice. Uh, wait a minute........ :rolleyes:

On that note - go read about T. Boone Pickens, who made his first $20 million donation to OSU in 2002 after 1 bowl game in 13 years and a 4 year streak of losing seasons. Why? He was tired of leaving the stadium after losing. The next year he gave $70 million, and 3 years later gave $165 million. So not all big donors wait for you to win first. And we are winning. So either way........

I agree. Something big - like going to the Rose Bowl twice in 5 years, winning 10 games 3 years in a row, going bowling 3 years in a row twice. Uh, wait a minute........ :rolleyes:

On that note - go read about T. Boone Pickens, who made his first $20 million donation to OSU in 2002 after 1 bowl game in 13 years and a 4 year streak of losing seasons. Why? He was tired of leaving the stadium after losing. The next year he gave $70 million, and 3 years later gave $165 million. So not all big donors wait for you to win first. And we are winning. So either way........

We had it. Right there with the 3 10 win seasons. Actually... We had it after 2. Had we manned up to make Mike Price feel like a King... Had we decided to make the best facilities in Pac...

We would have been the King of the North to this day.

Catching up sucks.

Doing it first and best and staying ahead is a lot easier.

I'm not so sure about the backyard thing. We have the largest student section, %-wise, of anyone. And we tend to fill it, at least for the first half of games. And there are a lot of local ticket holders and donors. But you aren't going to interest everyone in a town full of professors and farmers and not much else.

We are currently pretty much selling out our shrinking stadium. Getting butts into the reserved seats is an ongoing problem. It does mystify me that we could often fill the place when it held 7,000 more people so something is missing. Pricing isn't helping - it is a common phenomenom to see the endzone full and the reserved side half full.

No more Coug-aire, I think fewer busses, expensive rooms. None of this helps.

Population of Whitman County (non Wis dropping.
I'm not so sure about the backyard thing. We have the largest student section, %-wise, of anyone. And we tend to fill it, at least for the first half of games. And there are a lot of local ticket holders and donors. But you aren't going to interest everyone in a town full of professors and farmers and not much else.

We are currently pretty much selling out our shrinking stadium. Getting butts into the reserved seats is an ongoing problem. It does mystify me that we could often fill the place when it held 7,000 more people so something is missing. Pricing isn't helping - it is a common phenomenom to see the endzone full and the reserved side half full.

No more Coug-aire, I think fewer busses, expensive rooms. None of this helps.

Other than Pullman, the small towns of Whitman County are drying up but the fact that every game is on HDTV and the number of night games are probably bigger factors in keeping attendance down.

Had we manned up to make Mike Price feel like a King... Had we decided to make the best facilities in Pac...

Agreed and fun to contemplate during the slow days of summer.

Ummmmmm......they don't have to deal with traffic? LA is always known for its traffic. If you want to go watch a game at the Rose Bowl and live 40 miles away....."across town".....you may need to budget 2 hours to make that drive. If you live outside Seattle, you still have to drive to the pubic transit spots to use them. then you get to wait in line while they try to cram people onto that public transit at the end of the game. I took the train when we went to the ASU game and it was good......if you live along the narrow strip that it runs. Now, I agree that it's less inconvenient than driving over the pass for games, but it's not like you look at the clock and say, "Hey, the game is on in a couple hours....let's run over" when you are going to a game at any of the schools you listed.

The Gorge is an interesting analogy. When I’ve gone to shows there and talk to random people (which I tend to do when I’m drunk) the majority of them are from the west side and a lot of them drive home after the show. How many of them would drive all the way to Pullman for the same show? If WSU was in Wenatchee or Ellensburg I could see a 60k stadium filling up for just about every game.

The Gorge is an interesting analogy. When I’ve gone to shows there and talk to random people (which I tend to do when I’m drunk) the majority of them are from the west side and a lot of them drive home after the show. How many of them would drive all the way to Pullman for the same show? If WSU was in Wenatchee or Ellensburg I could see a 60k stadium filling up for just about every game.

If you have something that people really wanna see and be a part of they will go. If you dont, they wont.

Reactions: PatBaum

We had it. Right there with the 3 10 win seasons. Actually... We had it after 2. Had we manned up to make Mike Price feel like a King... Had we decided to make the best facilities in Pac...

Catching up sucks.

Doing it first and best and staying ahead is a lot easier.

Recall that the discussion was about big donors (and all donors) stepping up to the plate if we got good. We did, and they did not. We had the stadium improvements on the radar, but the money didn't come to achieve it.

T. Boone Pickens is a good comparison - he gave when OSU was down so that they could be competitive. Then gave $165 million and the stadium forever will bear his name. Ours bears the name of a mutt who gave us $250,000 what - 60 years ago? Grateful for that then, but now.....

Right now we have both. We are successful, but we also are saddled with debt and deficits. Our resident billionaire alum, Paul A., has given generously to WSU and to his frat, and has no obligation to give to Athletics. But if a sports-minded guy who owns 2 pro teams can't be talked into putting his name on our stadium and changing our financial trajectory so that we can sustain success, then crap. :(

Recall that the discussion was about big donors (and all donors) stepping up to the plate if we got good. We did, and they did not. We had the stadium improvements on the radar, but the money didn't come to achieve it.

T. Boone Pickens is a good comparison - he gave when OSU was down so that they could be competitive. Then gave $165 million and the stadium forever will bear his name. Ours bears the name of a mutt who gave us $250,000 what - 60 years ago? Grateful for that then, but now.....

Right now we have both. We are successful, but we also are saddled with debt and deficits. Our resident billionaire alum, Paul A., has given generously to WSU and to his frat, and has no obligation to give to Athletics. But if a sports-minded guy who owns 2 pro teams can't be talked into putting his name on our stadium and changing our financial trajectory so that we can sustain success, then crap. :(
I think that's a bad comparison. Pullman can't be compared to another school, honestly. And if there is one, strictly out of geography, I'd say Notre Dame is a good comparison because there is NOTHING in that town but that college. But that very small community is 100% behind that team, too. They have the money and it's expected to get season tickets in that town. But the Oklahoma State is a bad analogy because they're in the midwest, where life's priorities are God, Family and Football. Football wouldn't even stretch to this area's 10th priority list. It's the area. We'd rather sip coffee on the street corner, chatting about... whatever, than have football be a priority. Football is waaaaaay too lowbrow for us elites in the Northwest. For OSU, Pickens knew if he put money into it, it would draw people. It's in their blood. Their percentage of population that goes to games is much higher than here on the West coast. USC can be surrounded by L.A. and they barely fill their stadium.

It would be interesting to know the amount of money that came in from 2000 to 2004. And the percentage increase and what increase would have been necessary to help us keep up with the Jones.

I think that's a bad comparison. Pullman can't be compared to another school, honestly. And if there is one, strictly out of geography, I'd say Notre Dame is a good comparison because there is NOTHING in that town but that college. But that very small community is 100% behind that team, too. They have the money and it's expected to get season tickets in that town. But the Oklahoma State is a bad analogy because they're in the midwest, where life's priorities are God, Family and Football. Football wouldn't even stretch to this area's 10th priority list. It's the area. We'd rather sip coffee on the street corner, chatting about... whatever, than have football be a priority. Football is waaaaaay too lowbrow for us elites in the Northwest. For OSU, Pickens knew if he put money into it, it would draw people. It's in their blood. Their percentage of population that goes to games is much higher than here on the West coast. USC can be surrounded by L.A. and they barely fill their stadium.

Ok, then let's compare us to Colorado State, who had an anonymous donor give $20 million just to keep Sonny Lubick's name on the field (not the stadium).

Kinda surprised it took days for anyone to comment on my Pickens vs Paul Allen comparison. Just think if PA gave WSU $165 million. The guy owns two pro sports franchises fer goodness sakes!

Pullman can't be compared to another school, honestly. And if there is one, strictly out of geography, I'd say Notre Dame is a good comparison because there is NOTHING in that town but that college. But that very small community is 100% behind that team, too.

Pullman has a population just under 32K, making it the 37th largest city in Washington.

By comparison, South Bend's population of 101K+ makes it the 4th-largest city in Indiana.

ND also is located some 90 miles east of Chicago, a city where one-third of the 2.7M residents are Catholic and thus could conceivably be Fightin' Irish fans.

So WSU's "natural" fan base is probably at least a little smaller than Notre Dame's.

Pullman has a population just under 32K, making it the 37th largest city in Washington.

By comparison, South Bend's population of 101K+ makes it the 4th-largest city in Indiana.

ND also is located some 90 miles east of Chicago, a city where one-third of the 2.7M residents are Catholic and thus could conceivably be Fightin' Irish fans.

So WSU's "natural" fan base is probably at least a little smaller than Notre Dame's.
Agreed. But there just aren't any schools that are isolated like WSU is. Notre Dame is small in student population (much smaller than WSU even) Yeah, South Bend is bigger. Another point saying there really isn't a good analogy. But my point being, supporters need to be cultivated. And the Catholics support their own.

But there just aren't any schools that are isolated like WSU is.

Well said, Coug95man2.

I think the WSU's only two peers in the world of big-time College Football from smaller cities could be Mississippi State in Starkville (25,352) and Ol' Miss in Oxford (20,865).

Not sure how their fan bases measure up to WSU, but, like the Cougs, I'm sure they attract spectators on a regional as opposed to local basis.

Oh stop with your geographical and religious facts..........:D

Many moons ago (like five laptops ago), I did an analysis of all the D-1 schools relative to attendance and population. I had some mapping software that included populations within defined radius.

The only schools in the same neighborhood as WSU are Idaho and Wyoming - and it wasn’t even close. Make that only Wyoming now.

It has absolutely nothing to do with passion or other interests or whatever. It’s strictly about distance and population. If there are a bunch of people within a reasonable driving distance, the attendance is high. If not, good luck.

Many moons ago (like five laptops ago), I did an analysis of all the D-1 schools relative to attendance and population. I had some mapping software that included populations within defined radius.

The only schools in the same neighborhood as WSU are Idaho and Wyoming - and it wasn’t even close. Make that only Wyoming now.

It has absolutely nothing to do with passion or other interests or whatever. It’s strictly about distance and population. If there are a bunch of people within a reasonable driving distance, the attendance is high. If not, good luck.
Maybe. I'll take your word on that. But are you saying to ignore that football is a secondary religion in that area? Because I'll tell you, if they built a football stadium in the middle of no where, and they were successful... people would show up. They'd have to expand the stadium within 20 years. A town would grow around the stadium.

I guess that was my overarching point. You get success in the midwest (or even marginal success) and you'll get people. On the West coast, you can have some solid success and have marginal interest compared to the midwest.

Maybe. I'll take your word on that. But are you saying to ignore that football is a secondary religion in that area? Because I'll tell you, if they built a football stadium in the middle of no where, and they were successful... people would show up. They'd have to expand the stadium within 20 years. A town would grow around the stadium.

I guess that was my overarching point. You get success in the midwest (or even marginal success) and you'll get people. On the West coast, you can have some solid success and have marginal interest compared to the midwest.

Again, stretching my memory from 15 years ago - at the time, WSU was drawing on-par with big boy football schools relative to the population available. Michigan gets 100K+ per game...but they also have millions and millions of people within a two hour drive.

I think you are both right. WSU's lack of nearby population base combined with the relative "meh" attitude of West Coast FB fans in general leads to problems filling a stadium. If WSU, with Spokane County and it's now-500,000 person population base nearby, were in the Midwest or Southeast, we likely could fill a 50,000 seat stadium on a routine basis.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
If WSU, with Spokane County and it's now-500,000 person population base nearby, were in the Midwest or Southeast, we likely could fill a 50,000 seat stadium on a routine basis.

Could even happen in our beloved PNW if Coach Leach keeps the Cougs rolling like most pundits expect.

But then, Sgt. Schulz and his team would be forced to expand Martin Stadium, and, well, we've seen how that discussion tends to go at CougZone.

Reactions: Cougatron
I think you are both right. WSU's lack of nearby population base combined with the relative "meh" attitude of West Coast FB fans in general leads to problems filling a stadium. If WSU, with Spokane County and it's now-500,000 person population base nearby, were in the Midwest or Southeast, we likely could fill a 50,000 seat stadium on a routine basis.

You are right that if Left Coast fans cared about sports the way that other regions do, we'd fill a bigger stadium.

One thing that was missed by Observer11 is the isolation enjoyed by Boise State. They are in Boise which is a decent sized city with a fanbase enamored with their team, but they only have 658,000 within 100 miles of campus. There are over a million people within a 100 mile radius of the WSU campus. That's why Boise State knows better than to expand their stadium past the 36,387 seats they currently have. It's also why Boise State will NEVER get invited into the Pac-XX conference.

You are right that if Left Coast fans cared about sports the way that other regions do, we'd fill a bigger stadium.

One thing that was missed by Observer11 is the isolation enjoyed by Boise State. They are in Boise which is a decent sized city with a fanbase enamored with their team, but they only have 658,000 within 100 miles of campus. There are over a million people within a 100 mile radius of the WSU campus. That's why Boise State knows better than to expand their stadium past the 36,387 seats they currently have. It's also why Boise State will NEVER get invited into the Pac-XX conference.

Now you know that BSU will never get invited because they are a third tier academic institution and will never meet Pac-12 standards. They did farm out their truck driving program to Western Idaho CC though so good for them.

But good point/comparison actually. I don't think they even sell that place out completely most games. And they are the only game in town for what - 250 miles? However far Utah or BYU are?

That said, we still need to complete the bowl and get our capacity (back up) to 40,000.

Now you know that BSU will never get invited because they are a third tier academic institution and will never meet Pac-12 standards. They did farm out their truck driving program to Western Idaho CC though so good for them.

But good point/comparison actually. I don't think they even sell that place out completely most games. And they are the only game in town for what - 250 miles? However far Utah or BYU are?

That said, we still need to complete the bowl and get our capacity (back up) to 40,000.

And because Boise is not even a top 100 TV market. BSU doesn't bring enough to the table to make the pie bigger for everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT