ADVERTISEMENT

USC game?

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
USC has apparently cancelled this weekend's game with Colorado due to their, USC's, Covid problem. If correct, and the numbers indicate that Coronavirus positives are on the rise at USC, then their game with us next weekend seems now to be doubtful.

Last edited:
I guess I don’t see what the big deal is. If teams have outbreaks, the games get cancelled. If possible, new opponents can be found. If they can’t, so be it. The teams still get in practices when they can, and the players don’t lose a year of eligibility.

To the fans blowing gaskets over this, I ask why?

I guess I don’t see what the big deal is. If teams have outbreaks, the games get cancelled. If possible, new opponents can be found. If they can’t, so be it. The teams still get in practices when they can, and the players don’t lose a year of eligibility.

I'm not blowing a gasket, just shocked this is happening.

I do not see anyone blowing a gasket, CP, but a lot or normally even-tempered folks being frustrated and reasonably so. Things have reached the point where schedules are written on an etch-a-sketch pad. Getting in some sorely needed practice time is fine but I/we would like to see how the team fares against someone else.

Let me simplify your post :

The season is ****ED !

or

The season NEVER should have ****ing happened !

Well, what should have happened is that the Pac-12 and B1G should have gotten over themselves and started the season in late September like everyone else did. Everyone who was objective about the virus knew that there was going to be a significant increase as temperatures decreased in the fall.

Reactions: earldacoug
Well, what should have happened is that the Pac-12 and B1G should have gotten over themselves and 'not' started the season in late September like everyone should have. Everyone who was objective about the virus knew that there was going to be a significant increase as temperatures decreased in the fall.
There: fixed that for you.

This is exactly what I thought would happen. Schedule a season, half or more of it cancelled. Kids sick up and down the roster. For who? For what?

I wasn’t directing my comments at anyone on here in particular. This was always going to happen, and I’m surprised by the fans reaction to it.

Also, and this probably falls into a political bucket, it’s interesting to me how few of the athletes and young people are actually “getting sick.” I mean, we’re talking like statistically none of them. Yea, I know there are some who do, but there is very little objective news coverage given on the 99% of young people who test positive who are either asymptotic or have mild symptoms that clear up in a few days. I understand that we don’t want to send a public message of complacency, but the reason why the hospitals are at capacity is because people are panicking when they get runny noses, headaches, and low grade fever.

I wasn’t directing my comments at anyone on here in particular. This was always going to happen, and I’m surprised by the fans reaction to it.

Also, and this probably falls into a political bucket, it’s interesting to me how few of the athletes and young people are actually “getting sick.” I mean, we’re talking like statistically none of them. Yea, I know there are some who do, but there is very little objective news coverage given on the 99% of young people who test positive who are either asymptotic or have mild symptoms that clear up in a few days. I understand that we don’t want to send a public message of complacency, but the reason why the hospitals are at capacity is because people are panicking when they get runny noses, headaches, and low grade fever.
People don’t get admitted to hospitals for runny noses and low grade fever.
Hospitals are getting busy because when younger people get infected and either don’t know or don’t stay home, they spread it to older people. Eventually it reaches someone (or multiple someones) who actually get sick, or who have underlying conditions, or both.
At this point, the entire disease is being driven by the 20-40 crowd. If 80% of those people would get tested - symptomatic or not - and then isolate appropriately when they test positive, the spread would drop off a cliff. But that’s not going to happen.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Hospitals are getting busy because when younger people get infected and either don’t know or don’t stay home, they spread it to older people. Eventually it reaches someone (or multiple someones) who actually get sick, or who have underlying conditions, or both.
At this point, the entire disease is being driven by the 20-40 crowd. If 80% of those people would get tested - symptomatic or not - and then isolate appropriately when they test positive, the spread would drop off a cliff. But that’s not going to happen.

That's one theory...or we could realize that we as humans cannot control this virus, we have never been able to control the spread of any virus. We are only delaying reality by locking down and "slowing" the spread. Isolate the vulnerable, get them vaccinated and others be prudent and move on with life. But hey, I'm not a health "expert" or politician, so what do I know.

That's one theory...or we could realize that we as humans cannot control this virus, we have never been able to control the spread of any virus. We are only delaying reality by locking down and "slowing" the spread. Isolate the vulnerable, get them vaccinated and others be prudent and move on with life. But hey, I'm not a health "expert" or politician, so what do I know.
Met anybody with polio lately? That’s just one of many viruses we have controlled, and you dont even need to be a health expert to know that:cool:

I’ve worked in the medical field for 20+ years, and my Mother was the program coordinator for UWMC for 18 years. I’m very familiar with how hospitals operate, and more specific to this post, how the “hospital infrastructures are being stressed” messaging is being broadcast.

Reactions: Observer11
Met anybody with polio lately? That’s just one of many viruses we have controlled, and you dont even need to be a health expert to know that:cool:

And smallpox, once a scourge of humanity, has been virtually eliminated from the global scene.

Measles, mumps, etc, etc....greatly reduced by vaccines. Just to name a couple more. Outbreaks definitively traced, interestingly enough, to "anti-vax" idiocy.

I’ve worked in the medical field for 20+ years, and my Mother was the program coordinator for UWMC for 18 years. I’m very familiar with how hospitals operate, and more specific to this post, how the “hospital infrastructures are being stressed” messaging is being broadcast.
You're a medical sales rep, no? And your mother WAS a PC at UWMC, which I'd venture to guess didn't involve dealing with any pandemics. In my book, neither of these is proof that people with sniffles are taking up hospital beds. Got proof, proffer it up!

Reactions: Slowmotionjones

FWIW, people need to quit acting like the age of people getting impacted matters when making decisions about the virus. My daughter-in-law is a pediatric nurse in the largest hospital in Kansas. My wife is a nurse who works at a surgery center but recently worked for the same large hospital but on one of their satellite campuses. My sister-in-law is the manager of a nursing unit at a hospital in a small community north of where I live.

My daughter-in-law says that her pediatric unit is close to capacity because of young COVID patients but none of them are so distressed that they require ventilators. That doesn't mean that they aren't impacted. She said that there are dozens of people in her hospital right now between 25 and 50 years old that are in danger of dying from coronavirus.

My wife has heard through the grapevine that 10% of the people who are admitted into the ICU for coronavirus are dying....regardless of age. My sister-in-law is learning that living in a small, rural, Republican community is no protection from this virus. I have a co-worker whose dad is in the ICU right now.

We shouldn't shut everything down and if there are enough players to play the games, they should......but people need to quit bullshitting themselves and each other about the seriousness of this virus. There will probably be around a half million dead Americans before this virus runs its course and every time that someone starts saying that those people don't matter "statistically", it reflects a lack of empathy and compassion for others. I want the games to be played but if it isn't a good idea for some of them to be cancelled....who freakin' cares?

Reactions: Coug90 and CougEd
You can say that again.

Reactions: Observer11
I just saw where Colorado is playing San Diego state this week. I wonder what the possibility is for us to line up a non conference foe if USC is not available next weekend?

Odds are another conference team needs to cancel due to Covid and we play their opponent

I just saw where Colorado is playing San Diego state this week. I wonder what the possibility is for us to line up a non conference foe if USC is not available next weekend?

If Chun is a good AD, he is calling teams that appear to have open dates that might be appropriate to schedule just in case......

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised. We saw NBA hoopsters get it and they were in a bubble. We saw 40 people at the White House get it. We saw Saban test positive, then negative and now positive. The UW's first game was canceled. Not sure why anyone would be surprised. I honestly would have been shocked if they got in all their games, and I would have been surprised if we completed half our games.

Is that a rhetorical question?

It sure seems like a lot of people who have the sniffles are getting tested first to see if they have covid. Say there 100 ICU beds, how many are being impacted by the sniffles? 5, 15, 25, half?

Say everything is opened up. That people simply try an isolate the elderly. What percentage is our economy running at without a vaccine? 100%? 80%. 60%, 40%? I think many people have taken themselves out of bars, restaurants, and other highly confined areas. Most Seahawk season ticket holders I know opted out but kept their season ticket spots.

I will say this, I have gotta to the point I really don't care anymore. If something like social distancing, wearing a mask and just general smarts about the virus is so intrusive to the lives of people, some if not many who are laid off and out of work, then really why should I worry about it at this point?

I was in Chelan in July. Went into the NAPA auto supply store to pick up window cleaner. The person didn't want a mask. The one person whose financially exposed to a shutdown cant even humor the patrons to wear a mask. I respected his defiance and simply took my biz elsewhere.

If Chun is a good AD, he is calling teams that appear to have open dates that might be appropriate to schedule just in case......
No question he's working a contingency plan. And Shawn Deeds is also on the phone all day working contingency details and arrangements.

The only teams that BYU has beat that are decent is Boise and Army. Everybody else, not so much. Playing us might be their biggest test so far.

I'd say, Mr. Deeds Goes To Town and hooks up BYU.

Last edited:
The only teams that BYU has beat that are decent is Boise and Army. Everybody else, not so much. Playing us might be their biggest test so far.

I'd say, Mr. Deeds Goes To Town and hook up BYU.
BSU had a bunch of kids out in Covid protocol too. That said I’m not sure there’s a team in the PAC12 that should be ranked right now. Would be interesting to see some non-conference matchups

Either one sounds fine with me. Frankly, anybody with an open date would do. I just want to see some Coug football and am not inclined to be picky about the opponent.
Question I have is whether BYU would come to Pullman, or they’d try to pull a UW on us

Question I have is whether BYU would come to Pullman, or they’d try to pull a UW on us
Good question. Not easy to get the larger schools to travel to little ole Pullman. Didn't BYU already turn down a rescheduled game with the uw? If not them then why us? And aren't we scheduled to play each other next year? Somebody from the MWC would appear to be more likely.

BYU would come........the issue that they had with UW was that UW couldn’t guarantee the game would happen til the Thursday before. Since a conference opponent opened up, they had to take that game.

ADVERTISEMENT