ADVERTISEMENT

Ward vs De Laura

wsudefense

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2006
Who would you rather have leading this team. Do you all think we would be 4-1 with Delaura leading?

I think JDL is a sellout that was bought and paid for by UA before the bowl game. It is f’ing amazing to me the concessions made to that kid and his family by WSU. Still no word on why he never came out after halftime….

F him. And yes, this is me being 50% nicer because he led the team to an AC victory.

I will take Ward.

Who would you rather have leading this team. Do you all think we would be 4-1 with Delaura leading?

Who?

I think JDL is a sellout that was bought and paid for by UA before the bowl game. It is f’ing amazing to me the concessions made to that kid and his family by WSU. Still no word on why he never came out after halftime….

F him. And yes, this is me being 50% nicer because he led the team to an AC victory.

I will take Ward.
Yeah. I'd like to know the details of that deal. Zona has been corrupt for years. Miller was so corrupt as a basketball coach.

Ward without question. Both talented, but I think Ward has more upside. Leadership & other intangibles is Ward in a landslide.

I met de Laura after one of the games last season. I loved the kid. He was very kind and interactive with me and my son. Spoke with us for a while even though he had to get going.

I hate the fact that he left. I still think what he did to the fuskies brings a smile to my face every damn day.

I have think of him like Chef off of South Park. I loved him until he changed. I won't ever stop being thankful for what he did.

No reason to party with him now, but I'd still say "Go Cougs" to him if I saw him again and thank him for striking the Cougar Flag into the evil grassy soul of the fog duckers

In the long run, I believe that Ward is the better choice. "Bad Jayden" was worse than "Bad Cam". That said, I think we'd be 4-1 or maybe even 5-0 with JDL under center but I'd always be worried that he'd melt down. Cam makes egregiously dumb mistakes but he has a short memory. JDL seemed to go into longer funks when things went bad. He did recover sometimes...Oregon State being a great example.

Ward is harder to judge because he's more like a high school freshman than a sophomore. Most of his issues seem to lie with the fact that he's so talented that he hasn't had a QB coach correct his mistakes and that his arm talent used to be enough to get away with some really bad choices.

I can't root for JDL because he turned into a traitor who quit on his team but it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a good QB for Arizona. I almost feel bad for him. Oregon next week, then UW, then USC, then Utah, then UCLA, then WSU. It will not be that surprising if Arizona is 3-8 going into their finale against ASU.

In the long run, I believe that Ward is the better choice. "Bad Jayden" was worse than "Bad Cam". That said, I think we'd be 4-1 or maybe even 5-0 with JDL under center but I'd always be worried that he'd melt down. Cam makes egregiously dumb mistakes but he has a short memory. JDL seemed to go into longer funks when things went bad. He did recover sometimes...Oregon State being a great example.

Ward is harder to judge because he's more like a high school freshman than a sophomore. Most of his issues seem to lie with the fact that he's so talented that he hasn't had a QB coach correct his mistakes and that his arm talent used to be enough to get away with some really bad choices.

I can't root for JDL because he turned into a traitor who quit on his team but it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a good QB for Arizona. I almost feel bad for him. Oregon next week, then UW, then USC, then Utah, then UCLA, then WSU. It will not be that surprising if Arizona is 3-8 going into their finale against ASU.
Jayden De Laura played football at an elite football high school, and a well known D1 QB factory -- Arceneaux, Gesser, Chang, Mariota, Tagovailoa. Cam Ward played football at a Columbia High, and threw the ball less than 10 times a game. DeLaura has had 21 P-5 starts, Ward has - 5. Despite the advantages, De Laura against Cal went 27/45 401 yards 2 TD, 2 Ints, Ward went 27/40 343 yards, 3 TDs, 2 ints. De Laura's PER is 148.7 (after playing Colorado) and Wards is 147.3, virtually identical.

Everyone tends to think the grass is always greener on the other side of the street. In reality, they are pretty much the same -- and with scheduling, as you point out, the other side of the street isn't going to get any greener.

Jayden De Laura played football at an elite football high school, and a well known D1 QB factory -- Arceneaux, Gesser, Chang, Mariota, Tagovailoa. Cam Ward played football at a Columbia High, and threw the ball less than 10 times a game. DeLaura has had 21 P-5 starts, Ward has - 5. Despite the advantages, De Laura against Cal went 27/45 401 yards 2 TD, 2 Ints, Ward went 27/40 343 yards, 3 TDs, 2 ints. De Laura's PER is 148.7 (after playing Colorado) and Wards is 147.3, virtually identical.

Everyone tends to think the grass is always greener on the other side of the street. In reality, they are pretty much the same -- and with scheduling, as you point out, the other side of the street isn't going to get any greener.
Statistically similar but DeLauea is a bit more of a loose cannon/immature, not sure when he might end up in the paper for the wrong reasons. Cam is definitely not, and his game to game progression and comfortability with the offense has been easy to see. If you needed to win one important game right now could go either way but big picture I’m glad Cam is the guy.

Ward has more upside and likely is better now. Unsure we would be 4-1 now with him but quite sure we would not have won as many games as we did last year without him. I am grateful for what he did but fine that he moved on.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Well...DeLaura just threw for 6 TD's.

Granted, it was against Colorado....but that is still impressive.

FWIW, it is not really a compliment to JDL that I think he's slightly better than Ward at the moment. As you pointed out...he better be. I think JDL can be a very good college QB if he gets his crap together and avoids the meltdowns like he had against Mississippi State a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, his long windup and smaller size means that he has a lower ceiling than Ward. You can't coach height and when a player is being drafted, the measurables matter. Heck, Minshew is taller than JDL and it's a big reason why he's not a starter.

I wouldn't take JDL back if he wanted to. Too erratic and he let his team down in the bowl game. I'm hoping that Ward continues to progress and grow as a QB because we all know that the dude is oozing with potential.

I will take Ward.
I looked at every second of that tape of the first half three times . I looked for the hit, I looked for a rolled ankle , I looked for hyper extension of his knee, I looked for a time he limped .

Just looking at that , three options . One, he got in heated discussion with coaches at hall. Or

Two, not having his regular oline he checked out and was at Arizona and already cashed his check… or

Three … like others this was his way of protesting Rolo getting fired .

Heck Tony from Blue Chips hid his “stuff” better than DeLaura ….

I would rather be 2-3 and not have deLaura on our team even if Cam wasn’t here . When the going tough he got going …

Reactions: mikalalas
I looked at every second of that tape of the first half three times . I looked for the hit, I looked for a rolled ankle , I looked for hyper extension of his knee, I looked for a time he limped .

Just looking at that , three options . One, he got in heated discussion with coaches at hall. Or

Two, not having his regular oline he checked out and was at Arizona and already cashed his check… or

Three … like others this was his way of protesting Rolo getting fired .

Heck Tony from Blue Chips hid his “stuff” better than DeLaura ….

I would rather be 2-3 and not have deLaura on our team even if Cam wasn’t here . When the going tough he got going …

If you throw a game in protest of a coach being fired the NCAA should remove your eligibility.

FWIW, it is not really a compliment to JDL that I think he's slightly better than Ward at the moment. As you pointed out...he better be. I think JDL can be a very good college QB if he gets his crap together and avoids the meltdowns like he had against Mississippi State a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, his long windup and smaller size means that he has a lower ceiling than Ward. You can't coach height and when a player is being drafted, the measurables matter. Heck, Minshew is taller than JDL and it's a big reason why he's not a starter.

I wouldn't take JDL back if he wanted to. Too erratic and he let his team down in the bowl game. I'm hoping that Ward continues to progress and grow as a QB because we all know that the dude is oozing with potential.
I was just adding support to your argument

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
On the surface - and statistically - they look sort of similar right now. And that's with JDL in his 3rd season as a P-5 starter, and Ward going into his 6th game.

JDL was very boom or bust. Had a couple of pretty good games, but tended to disappear frequently. Seemed to have a Halliday-esque tendency to pout...although he never came out and threw 4 INTs in a row. Ward hasn't had a huge game yet - although I'd probably argue that going into Camp Randall and coming out with a win in his 2nd game at least equals anything JDL ever did - but my sense is that the floor and ceiling are both higher with Ward.

Right now, if I had to pick a QB with the game on the line, I wouldn't feel that great about either of them. And I'd take any of Leaf, Gesser, and Minshew above both.

Reactions: spongeandshoot

Simply, I would take Ward going forward. I think there is higher upside. However, I think we woulda been 5-0 with JDL. That's all I have to say about that.

Ward wants to be here, JDL didn't. So comparisons are not something I will get into. JDL got us an Apple Cup win, supported the team until then, seemed to bail prior to the Sun Bowl. May he find the happiness he's looking for. Handled the Rolo departure fairly well publicly, but I think internally he was pissed off about it. So I thank him for the time he was here, nothing more nothing less.

I am happy with Ward, and with a little more time and experience he maybe one the best QB's we have seen on the Palouse in a long time.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
Well...DeLaura just threw for 6 TD's.

Granted, it was against Colorado....but that is still impressive.
Arizona is about to go on a 5 game losing streak before they face the Cougs, and the Cougs should make it 6. They play Oregon, Washington, USC, Utah and UCLA before facing the Cougs, if they win one of those games I will have concerns when the Cougs play them.

Reactions: wsudefense
Arizona is about to go on a 5 game losing streak before they face the Cougs, and the Cougs should make it 6. They play Oregon, Washington, USC, Utah and UCLA before facing the Cougs, if they win one of those games I will have concerns when the Cougs play them.

I have concerns as our secondary seems to be our weak link this year. That one might be a shoot out

On the surface - and statistically - they look sort of similar right now. And that's with JDL in his 3rd season as a P-5 starter, and Ward going into his 6th game.

JDL was very boom or bust. Had a couple of pretty good games, but tended to disappear frequently. Seemed to have a Halliday-esque tendency to pout...although he never came out and threw 4 INTs in a row. Ward hasn't had a huge game yet - although I'd probably argue that going into Camp Randall and coming out with a win in his 2nd game at least equals anything JDL ever did - but my sense is that the floor and ceiling are both higher with Ward.

Right now, if I had to pick a QB with the game on the line, I wouldn't feel that great about either of them. And I'd take any of Leaf, Gesser, and Minshew above both.

I'd take Halliday every day of the week over JDL.

Dude played with a lacerated liver for god's sake.

From what I've seen, both Cam and JdL are awesome on a peak day. My knock on JdL is not his peaks, but his valleys. The difference between a JdL peak and valley is much greater than the difference between a Cam peak & valley.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
I'd take Halliday every day of the week over JDL.

Dude played with a lacerated liver for god's sake.
Could you have imagined Halliday in the Stanford offense. Great oline, probably needs to make 8 quality throws a game. He probably could have been 21-29 two TDs, and 10-2 . Been nice to see what he could have been with a legit running game.

From what I've seen, both Cam and JdL are awesome on a peak day. My knock on JdL is not his peaks, but his valleys. The difference between a JdL peak and valley is much greater than the difference between a Cam peak & valley.

The biggest knock on JDL for me is that in his third season and his 18th game (start?), he melted down against a middle of the pack SEC team and threw three interceptions. If Cam Ward is doing that kind of thing in the middle of next season, we won't be as forgiving as we are now. As mentioned by others above, the gap between Ward and JDL is very small, if anything at all, despite the fact that JDL should be in the phase where he's practically a junior and should be at his peak without having those types of meltdowns.

Could you have imagined Halliday in the Stanford offense. Great oline, probably needs to make 8 quality throws a game. He probably could have been 21-29 two TDs, and 10-2 . Been nice to see what he could have been with a legit running game.
Stanford's offense required a somewhat mobile QB. Tuel would have been a perfect fit, not so much Connor.

Stanford's offense required a somewhat mobile QB. Tuel would have been a perfect fit, not so much Connor.
Which Stanford QB needed to be somewhat mobile? Or was somewhat mobile. Halliday could rely on two TE, grind it out on the ground, stand in the pocket untouched and throw for 21-29 and two TD's. The QB's didn't have to be mobile at that time because the offensive line was so good.

Which Stanford QB needed to be somewhat mobile? Or was somewhat mobile. Halliday could rely on two TE, grind it out on the ground, stand in the pocket untouched and throw for 21-29 and two TD's. The QB's didn't have to be mobile at that time because the offensive line was so good.

The best years at Stanford when Andrew Luck was there. He was more mobile than you think. He ran a 4.67 at the NFL combine and I remember reading that he was measured running over 20 mph in pads during one of his NFL games.

ADVERTISEMENT