ADVERTISEMENT

Ward vs JDL

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
I watched a little of the replay of yeh spring game . Ward is a shortstop playing qb . He has 6 different arm angles, the ball comes out of his hand with ease and comes out quickly .

Who knows if that translates into wins , and who knows if he will have the success JDL had .The one thing I will say just in terms of mechanics ward is ahead of JDL . Maybe it is a win win situation … ward wins the north with the Cougs and JDL helps Arizona double their win total .

I watched a little of the replay of yeh spring game . Ward is a shortstop playing qb . He has 6 different arm angles, the ball comes out of his hand with ease and comes out quickly .

Who knows if that translates into wins , and who knows if he will have the success JDL had .The one thing I will say just in terms of mechanics ward is ahead of JDL . Maybe it is a win win situation … ward wins the north with the Cougs and JDL helps Arizona double their win total .
Yeah I noticed that too. It's more like a flick.

Would be interesting if Gunnar Cruz best out JDL.

I saw too many wr screens for my liking. Probably my least favorite play in football. Hopefully our OC has a little more imagination than that

I saw too many wr screens for my liking. Probably my least favorite play in football. Hopefully our OC has a little more imagination than that
Is Jayden even enrolled yet? Didn't see him on the spring game stats.

It's a win-win in that we get a more talented and mature football player as our team leader/QB and we don't have to put up with Jayden's nonsense.

Priority #1 has to be keeping Cam healthy. The position looks thin as neither X-Ward or Brown looked close to being able to fill in on game day. But QB1 does everything you want, accurate with excellent arm strength and the ability to throw a receiver wide open. He also brings good mobility which he wasn't able to show case.

I'm expecting him to put up numbers similar to Anthony Gordon or Connor Halliday 2014.

All offenses need some kind of quick hitter to the sideline to stretch the D and open up the seams once the safety's creep up. With the speed of some of our receivers I like getting the ball in their hand with some room for YAC. Far better than the 5 yard passes we threw last year that took our receiver immediately out of bounds.

All offenses need some kind of quick hitter to the sideline to stretch the D and open up the seams once the safety's creep up. With the speed of some of our receivers I like getting the ball in their hand with some room for YAC. Far better than the 5 yard passes we threw last year that took our receiver immediately out of bounds.

Well, the WR does give opportunity for YAC...but it doesn't always work out that way. We ran a ton of them under Leach and they were a waste of a down more often than not imo and never really caught the D by surprise.

At least that 5-6 yd out was a sure 5-6 yds.

If we do it to keep a D honest, that is one thing. But I probably saw 6 of them in that clip that was on Youtube.

Is Jayden even enrolled yet? Didn't see him on the spring game stats.
Not sure...I was going to look that up here in a few.

If he misses spring ball, I have to question what is going through his head. Maybe he saw Cameron Ward's highlights and figured his days were numbered...but if he missed spring ball, he really has a lot of catching up to do

I'd be shocked if Cruz beat out JDL. If it happened I doubt he'd stay at Zona.

If I were JDL I'd be more concerned about the 4 star freshman they brought.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
At least from that video, I was more impressed with the Fijita kid than anyone else (I'm sure I'm butchering the kids name)

Gunnar Cruz threw a td pass as well

It's a win-win in that we get a more talented and mature football player as our team leader/QB and we don't have to put up with Jayden's nonsense.

Priority #1 has to be keeping Cam healthy. The position looks thin as neither X-Ward or Brown looked close to being able to fill in on game day. But QB1 does everything you want, accurate with excellent arm strength and the ability to throw a receiver wide open. He also brings good mobility which he wasn't able to show case.

I'm expecting him to put up numbers similar to Anthony Gordon or Connor Halliday 2014.

Will be interesting to see how Mateer performs when he gets on campus

1. 250 yards, 4 touchdowns, NO INT's, nearly perfect performance in the Spring Game, and how well he has done in spring practices, scrimmages, probably says all that needs to be said about how good Cam will do as QB1.

2. QB Holcombe(or whatever his name is or how you spell it, also had a fantastic, awesome game, enough to make him a clear front runner for now for QB2.

3. With Xavier Ward a 3rd year QB in being a Redshirt Sophmore, and Holcombe, and Victor Gabalis, and Brown, and Mateer, one of those 5, FIVE QB's is PROBABLY semi good enough, semi ok enough to be a semi decent, semi good, semi ok enough QB2, to last until a temporarily injured Cam is ready to play.

4. With Cam's Mobility, elusiveness, quick release, quick reads, familiarity with the WR's, coach, offense, etc, he probably either won't get injured, an or won't be injured for too long to go ong with point 3 above.

5. WR screens: If not done too often, and if done often enough, and if WR's an or TE, an or a pulled OL an or RB, block well enough, an or the WR's are RB like, fast, speedy, shifty, can make a defender miss in the open field, etc, and if the QB, etc, sells the WR screen well, lures the defense in, away from WR screen, and if QB hits throws the ball to the WR that's in the WR screen in stride, etc, THEN the WR screen IS, CAN be EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE YAC WISE.

6. Leach's offense rarely did all of the above in point 5 above to make WR screens effective in Leach's offense.

7. Morris the O Coordinator is NOT Leach, not as stubborn, etc, as Leach, and WR screens worked well for Morris at IC(Incarnate Word), ETC.

8. The WR screen was very effective in the Spring Game.

One thing I noticed was that often on those plays there was good blocking out in space that allowed extra yardage instead of having the play get blown up at the line of scrimmage. Was it #1 WR's vs deep reserve DB's, I dunno. Will it translate into good gains vs PAC teams, I dunno. At least it was good to see on Saturday, and gives me some hope.

At least from that video, I was more impressed with the Fijita kid than anyone else (I'm sure I'm butchering the kids name)

Gunnar Cruz threw a td pass as well
Fifita 5'-9" and not the second coming of Pat Haden, but made something happen. . Didn't see JDL make any impressive throws.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Fifita 5'-9" and not the second coming of Pat Haden, but made something happen. . Didn't see JDL make any impressive throws.

JDL was surrounded by some talented WR's in an offense that was designed for his strengths. The game gets harder when you don't have Borghi, Harris, C Jackson, and Abe Lucas helping. His bad habits also remain. Heaving the ball down field hoping his receiver makes a play, running deeper in the backfield when pressured increasing the yardage loss on sacks, and struggling to read defenses from the pocket.

What's interesting to me is JDL carved up the Arizona D in the fog last fall. He looked mediocre against them this spring without his supporting cast.

Yeah I’m not a fan of that many short throws either but when you’ve got a guy that can get it out that quick and on the money it’s gonna suck the defense up to go over the top. Unless the defense is all over those they are easy 5 yard gains minimum. A side effect is it wears rush ends out having to start upfield and chase them down too. Didn’t get to see many deep shots to see what that looks like. He threw a couple nice ones down the seams.

Yeah I’m not a fan of that many short throws either but when you’ve got a guy that can get it out that quick and on the money it’s gonna suck the defense up to go over the top. Unless the defense is all over those they are easy 5 yard gains minimum. A side effect is it wears rush ends out having to start upfield and chase them down too. Didn’t get to see many deep shots to see what that looks like. He threw a couple nice ones down the seams.

I guess what I was trying to convey is that I don't want to treat it as a long handoff like we did under Leach.

If we use it because it is there or to open up things down field, then I am fine with it

Reactions: Coug90
ADVERTISEMENT