ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the WSU-ASU game

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
and wondering why they haven't pulled a Garrett McBroom from one of the SWJCFC schools. Also...why not MACJC players after getting Minshew? It looks like the MACJC is a farm team for Mississippi St and Mississippi.

and wondering why they haven't pulled a Garrett McBroom from one of the SWJCFC schools. Also...why not MACJC players after getting Minshew? It looks like the MACJC is a farm team for Mississippi St and Mississippi.

I dont see a lot of kids from that far South making the trip north. They definitely have a success story to tell. May not have shook out their way yet.

I dont see a lot of kids from that far South making the trip north. They definitely have a success story to tell. May not have shook out their way yet.

I live just North of Durham NC, people in these parts aren't even aware football is played West of the Mississippi.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I live just North of Durham NC, people in these parts aren't even aware football is played West of the Mississippi.
Just imagine explaining Wulff to an SEC fan or any football fan in the South.

"Who was the WSU coach before Mike Leach?"
"It was Paul Wulff, a guy the current Missouri AD hired with the help of a broadcaster."
"Oh, Paul Fineman?"
"No a former coach who had finished winless at Iowa State and won just 40% of his games in his career"
"Oh, so nobody wanted the job?"
"No, a two time Rose Bowl coach was initially interested, a future Michigan coach was interested, a former Michigan State coach was interested, the future Texas A&M coach was a finalist"
"Oh, I bet the fans were angry"
"No, some of them said the former coach left a drug riddled mess and pointed to a goal stand vs Pete Carroll at the end of the first half in 2008 and promised that Wulff would never leave."
"That was all the fans?"
"No, some of them were worried Wulff would never leave"
"But they are happy now?"
"Mostly. Some think Leach recruits too many lineman"
"What is Wulff up to these days"
"He was replaced at Sacramento State by a local high school coach"
"His players had some success?"
"Yeah, his best player just started a weed growing business"

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Just imagine explaining Wulff to an SEC fan or any football fan in the South.

"Who was the WSU coach before Mike Leach?"
"It was Paul Wulff, a guy the current Missouri AD hired with the help of a broadcaster."
"Oh, Paul Fineman?"
"No a former coach who had finished winless at Iowa State and won just 40% of his games in his career"
"Oh, so nobody wanted the job?"
"No, a two time Rose Bowl coach was initially interested, a future Michigan coach was interested, a former Michigan State coach was interested, the future Texas A&M coach was a finalist"
"Oh, I bet the fans were angry"
"No, some of them said the former coach left a drug riddled mess and pointed to a goal stand vs Pete Carroll at the end of the first half in 2008 and promised that Wulff would never leave."
"That was all the fans?"
"No, some of them were worried Wulff would never leave"
"But they are happy now?"
"Mostly. Some think Leach recruits too many lineman"
"What is Wulff up to these days"
"He was replaced at Sacramento State by a local high school coach"
"His players had some success?"
"Yeah, his best player just started a weed growing business"

FWIW, Sumlin got fired at Texas A&M and at least according to Massey, is projected to finish 5-7 again this year and will be on the hot seat at Arizona if that comes true. He got lucky to have Johnny Manziel when he arrived at A&M. He would have been fired sooner if not for the initial bump that he got from that. I'm assuming that you are referring to Brady Hoke as the future Michigan coach....who again....got fired. MIke Price flamed out at UTEP and was obviously used up. So....your list of coaches that we considered is littered with a bunch of guys who failed at their jobs that they were at or ended up at. Your point was?

If you are referring to me about linemen.....you've got to quit living in the past. What's funny about you even mentioning that is that Leach apparently agrees with me these days. I said that 5-6 OL every year was not sustainable and there were people arguing with me that we had to despite the fact that no other school in the league was recruiting that many every year. In the past couple years, we took 4 in 2018 and 3 in 2019. 4 is the number I'd prefer in any given year. So, feel free to quit living in the past. We may have occasional seasons where we take a bunch of linemen, but we shouldn't be doing that every year.

As far as Wulff goes, even SEC schools get it wrong when it comes to coaching hires. Tennessee has been a debacle for years with a turnstile installed in the head coach's office these days. Arkansas has been a hot mess for a while and as mentioned above, Kevin Sumlin was fired at A&M once they figured out that he was going to be a 5 loss coach every year....despite all the advantages that A&M has. Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri and every SEC school in our range of the pecking order have struggled to find sustained success and continue to churn through coaches. We are all glad that Wulff is gone and we hope that someday.....our fans quit living in the past and pretending like he's worth talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT