ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Commitment

Coug1990

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
Kyra Gardner from Raymond. As a sophomore, she averaged 24.1 points, 9.2 rebounds, eight steals and 4.1 assists per game. As a junior, it was 23ppg, 7.5rpg, 7.1spg, and 4.8apg.

E67pCYxUYAAVDtg

Last edited:
When we offered I found some video of her although there wasn't much. She seems like a solid player with upside. I don't know whether she had other P5 offers but glad we got her.

Last edited:
When we offered I found some video of her although there wasn't much. She seems like a solid player with upside. I don't know whether she had other P5 offers but glad we got her.
She also comes from a very small school (high school enrollment is 80). With covid last year, and all the restrictions that came with it, she just may not have been scouted by anyone outside the area. Hopefully, she is another nugget from a small school.

Nice stats but from a 2B school. Competition can't be that great. Doesn't mean she's not damn good. Have to trust the coaches.

It's a big jump but hoping she has some AAU experience against better competition. I remember an offer from Idaho (and maybe EWU?). Women get 15 so they can probably afford to let her develop over a few years.

Do the coaches still put on a camp on the campus during the summer?

It's a big jump but hoping she has some AAU experience against better competition. I remember an offer from Idaho (and maybe EWU?). Women get 15 so they can probably afford to let her develop over a few years.
My daughter plays HS bball in Wa. Couldn’t play a game for over 400 days in state but managed to play 50-60 games out of state in tournies. I’m sure they have seen her play against good competition.

Edit - Just looked her up and she’s playing in the same tournament as my daughters team in OC this weekend with a bunch of small school girls but in a different bracket. I

Last edited:
My daughter plays HS bball in Wa. Couldn’t play a game for over 400 days in state but managed to play 50-60 games out of state in tournies. I’m sure they have seen her play against good competition.

Edit - Just looked her up and she’s playing in the same tournament as my daughters team in OC this weekend with a bunch of small school girls but in a different bracket. I
Looking forward to a scouting report

I watched a half of one her games. Solid player but she didn’t blow me away.
How so? Obviously, she has dominated the league she play's in winning the MVP award as both a sophomore and junior.. However, it is a very small school and the competition level cannot be that good. What did you see or not see?

First off I’ll say I’m far from an expert. My take in limited viewing was fundamentally sound with a nice looking shot and a very good passer. She’s 5’11’ and a bit on the long side so that’s good too. What I didn’t see was much explosiveness or real quickness where she could take it to the hoop on anyone at any time which I kind of expected to see. Maybe that was by design and she’s focusing on playing under control and knows at the next level she won’t be able to do that?

First off I’ll say I’m far from an expert. My take in limited viewing was fundamentally sound with a nice looking shot and a very good passer. She’s 5’11’ and a bit on the long side so that’s good too. What I didn’t see was much explosiveness or real quickness where she could take it to the hoop on anyone at any time which I kind of expected to see. Maybe that was by design and she’s focusing on playing under control and knows at the next level she won’t be able to do that?
If you watched the short clips of her I think your assessment is accurate. Her shot seems like it will translate. On brandx someone posted she has a 5’8” mark in the high jump which is solid so some athleticism. Seems like she needs to improve handles and strength.

It’s a big jump to the PAC 12 so will need time to development. Recruiting beyond New Zealand has been a challenge but we seem to be resourceful over the last couple cycles looking all over the world.

Last edited:

Did your daughter play in the tourney at Ladera ?

I certainly trust the coaches, but you can take stats from 2B High School girls basketball with a grain of salt. There are definitely girls at that level who can barely dribble a basketball and are turning out for the team simply so they won't have to take PE. I know nothing about Raymond, but if they have at least one other baller who is even considering playing at the next level, then they will cut through most teams like butter and a guard's stats can look very, very good. More and more, I think the only way to simulate what a player will face in the PAC12 is through playing internationally on U19 teams. Obviously, the USA has a U19 team too, but we are probably a ways away from getting any of those.

Reactions: FnuLnu
One of the most difficult things to do can be to drive, slash, attack the basket, with enough explosiveness, lateral quickness and ball handling, etc, AND STILL BE ABLE TO STAY UNDER CONTROL ENOUGH, AND HAVE ENOUGH TOUCH TO BE ABLE TO DO A STANDARD BANK LAY UP AND IN AND NOT HAVE IT EITHER BE TOO SOFT, OR TOO HARD AND MISS.

When I started playing 4 on 4 pick up games with new LDS Missionaries in BYU Gym on their Preparation days. Some to a lot of these new missionaries were some of the best highschool, college bball players in the country.

When I would try to drive against these guys, I either at first couldn't, like I easily did vs playground HS bball players, and community college bball players, and when I finally did beat them off the dribble, and thought I was gonna have a easy lay up, they either easily stole the ball, poked, slapped it away, or came from behind like super man and blocked shot from behind, and when I did get to do the lay up, I was flying thru the air so fast, explosively, so out of control, etc, that the lay up shot would go up to hard and bank of too hard and go in and out, rim out and miss.

That's something that happened to Ike Iroegbu too in the Pac 12.

It took me 2 months of constantly playing 4 on 4 bball with these guys where I got to the point of scoring about 10 to 13 points and 10 to 13 to 17 assist.

It took that long, and was that incredibly hard to learn how to beat them off the dribble by being explosive, quick enough, but not going too out of control while flying thru the air, kamikaze like, while being able to do a standard lay up that doesn't miss while flying kamikaze explosively like thru the air with your hair on fire, because that's what it took to beat them off the dribble.

Only reason I mention that, is that even Ike Iroegbu struggled with this against Pac 12 competition.

The same is going to happen with the this recruit. She is probably going to struggle to even have the explosiveness, quickness to beat opponents off the dribble and even get a lay up, shot, etc. And even if she does beat them off the dribble, she is going to be explosively kamikaze flying thru the air with her hair on fire semi out of control, and will miss the lay ups, shots she does get.

It will take her time to not only beat opponents off of dribble, which is hard enough, but then to actually make, not miss lay ups, shots, etc, against Pac 12 competition.

And then it doesn't stop there. She will have to learn how to do, make tear droppers, double pump windmill lay ups, floaters, runners, etc, to deal with shot blockers, like Ike Iroegbu did vs Pac 12, and like I did vs not only community college level bball, but against some of the better, best highschool, community college, all levels of college bball players, that were serving LDS missions, being trained at the Missionary Training Center in Provo Utah, in those 4 on 4 bball games, in the BYU Gym.

Not trying to toot a horn, so to speak. Just saying I had the experience, understand, and know that this recruit will probably struggle to beat Pac 12 players off of dribble and make and not miss lay ups, and that it will take time to learn how to do that, if she is even able to learn how to do that at all.

Just such a huge freaking big difference between the level she is playing at now, and the Pac 12 level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT