ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the future, ladies and germs

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
This is what CPW 2.0 looks like.

If you can't see that the entire roster is bereft of talent, you're looking through rose colored glasses.

Earlier in the month someone posted "hey, just offer 44 kids 'starting' positions and you'll keep them all!!!". I scoffed, but just to follow my hunch I checked and sure enough: that would mean starting about 30 two star players across the board. We only ever recruit between 5 and 10 three star players anyway, so yeah... great idea.

The last OL I've seen this bad was 2008 - these kids just either can't or won't, and neither is good. Watching the RT whiff on any block against a kid running at half pace or faster was a real eye opener. Same for Paine - he never see's the field again until he learns to block imho. If CW wasn't somewhat mobile, he'd have followed the same career path as Gary Rogers.

The WR's are chock full of undersize guys, and the ones that are 6' or taller can't/ won't catch the ball.

Good luck recruiting to a system that doesn't feature a QB, a RB, or WR's. "Hey, come to our school and throw 5 yard outs and tunnel screens all game!!! That'll for sure get you drafted!!"

Morris jumped ship because he saw the writing on the wall about him being canned; Ward jumped ship because he saw the writing on the wall about the downfall of the program.

This is nothing personal about CJD - I don't know the man, and I'm sure he's a great guy. But I'm not sure he, or anyone else for that matter, is capable fighting NIL and the portal in any way significant enough to make a difference vis a vis product on the field.

Honestly, it might be time to go FCS. At this time it seems to fit the direction that WSU is headed and is where they might be able to build something sustainable against similar opponents.

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
The irony of the use of germs in the thread title and the downfall of the program through the Covid/vaxx/coaching carousel debacle is noted.

• Haha
Reactions: justinbgocougs
A bunch of little things added up from 2017-present that compounded. Need Dickert to step up and fire the guys who need to go. And hire guys now. He needs to find a creative way to put together a well known staff and not a bunch of no ones. Go all in on Ken Niumatalolo for DC and give up your scheme if you really are just a “CEO”. Better find some recruiters. I’ve seen enough fluff, lovey lovey, thank you fans rah rah, happy to be here speeches. How about representing the program like a boss and directing it in a way that shows you’re not messing around. Go hire and fire some people. If they don’t spend money now they seriously risk ever being able to again. MWC are out recruiting and coaching us, maybe steal some of their best coaches and recruits? Or sit on your hands and not have a job in 2 years….

Just so I’m pacing the logic here:

“Morris jumped ship” to become a head coach of a Group of 5 team that’s in a bowl game tonight.

“Ward jumped ship” to be ASU’s D-Coordinator

I don't miss Moos. Yes, he gets credit for hiring Leach...but his overall hires were poor. I mean....Ernie Kent?!
Ernie was a bust, but he did have some years at Oregon where they rocked. He seemed to get NBA talent.

Ernie had very little control and/or instruction.

I think it was an okay gamble by Moos, but in no way does it take away from his GRAND SLAM on Leach

Disagree. How is talent his issue when he’s been here 1 full season? Disappointed with the situation with this bowl but the energy and discipline Dickert brought to the team towards the end of last year in a shitty situation was pretty obvious. Biggest margin of victory at UW ever.

Morris was a bad hire. Ward isn’t the leader you need at QB and Mateer should get a shot to compete.

I still believe in Dickert but he’s got his work cut out for him this offseason. To put him and Wulff in the same category is silly.

Disagree. How is talent his issue when he’s been here 1 full season? Disappointed with the situation with this bowl but the energy and discipline Dickert brought to the team towards the end of last year in a shitty situation was pretty obvious. Biggest margin of victory at UW ever.

Morris was a bad hire. Ward isn’t the leader you need at QB and Mateer should get a shot to compete.

I still believe in Dickert but he’s got his work cut out for him this offseason. To put him and Wulff in the same category is silly.
They rallied around Dickert because he was there, not because he was some great inspirational leader. Prop up a half dead hooker in the locker room and the rallying cry would have been "let's win one for Cinnamon!"

That's not to take away who he is or what he's done, but those kids were responsible for their success, not CJD.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
They rallied around Dickert because he was there, not because he was some great inspirational leader. Prop up a half dead hooker in the locker room and the rallying cry would have been "let's win one for Cinnamon!"

That's not to take away who he is or what he's done, but those kids were responsible for their success, not CJD.
Agree.
Like him or not, JDL did as much as anyone to rally the team around interim coach Dickert from October through the big Apple Cup win, which cemented the HC job for Dickert.

Agree.
Like him or not, JDL did as much as anyone to rally the team around interim coach Dickert from October through the big Apple Cup win, which cemented the HC job for Dickert.
Listen, I’m never gonna take the AC away from JDL, he played a hell of a game…but he’s gonna get the credit for “rallying” the team when he also quit on the team? Hmmm

He only started “Rallying” the team whe Dickert took over? Because there wasn’t a lot of rallying going on pre-Dickert in fact most of the time we were getting rallied on hard in the 2nd half.

Reactions: longtimecoug
Our team went 7-5 this season, only losing to teams in the Top 25 during the regular season. Today sucked....but it doesn't help that our defense was hampered by all the missing players. Even though Stribling and Ollie were ball dropping fools, it didn't help that they were gone on the offensive side.

The future is definitely murky for WSU, but many of the same people pissing down their legs when we were 4-4 are pissing down their legs again. No offense to Cam Ward, but I think our best step in the off-season is going to be having an actual competition for the QB spot because that dude does not have what it takes to lead us to wins against quality competition. He isn't the only problem by far....but he's Exhibit A. I think back to the Sun Bowl last year and how bad we looked in the first half when JDL was just going through the motions and our offense looked pathetic and, to quote Mike Leach....constipated. That's been this team for most of the season.

Before we go off firing Dickert, maybe we should give him a chance to put together his own team? A lot of Leach's guys, particularly on the OL, bailed on us and we have pathetic depth as a result. Not to mention that Leach had a lot of misses in his last two classes to boot. It took Leach four seasons before he had his first good team. Dickert wasn't left as big of a mess as Leach was...but the holes are bigger than they should have been.

If we still lose games like this next year, it's going to be tougher to support Dickert, but the whining on this board just shows how out of touch y'all can be. To call Dickert "CPW 2.0" just makes a person look like a moron. Don't be a moron.

Reactions: mikalalas
I keep reading that "Dickert messed up his coordinator hires." One got hired as the North Texas head coach and the other was snagged by Arizona State to be their DC.

Doesn't that suggest that Dickert got those hires right?

I keep reading that "Dickert messed up his coordinator hires." One got hired as the North Texas head coach and the other was snagged by Arizona State to be their DC.

Doesn't that suggest that Dickert got those hires right?
Morris was going to be terminated at the end of this season. North Texas took the bait, was deceived, so he bailed. They interviewed him up in the box during the Boise St. game tonight.

Who did we beat this year? Nobody, except a half way decent Wisconsin team. That's it. Morris was responsible for Cam Ward, and the Apple Cup and the Bowl game was a disaster. All because of Morris.

Hec, CW is almost as bad as Birmbaum.

Last edited:
Morris was going to be terminated at the end of this season. North Texas took the bait, was deceived, so he bailed. They interviewed him up in the box during the Boise St. game tonight.

Birnbaum threw a better ball.

Reactions: M-I-Coug

You know for a fact that Morris was going to be fired?

Who did we beat this year? Nobody, except a half way decent Wisconsin team. That's it. Morris was responsible for Cam Ward, and the Apple Cup and the Bowl game was a disaster. All because of Morris.

You are a TOTAL moron!!

I am watching UNT-Boise St. UNT OL and receivers are already way better. I’ve enjoyed following Wazzu since Leach, but you guys are totally delusional!! You have to recruit and develop some kids!! Give Dickert some time. Worst OL in Power 5 and best receiver was 3rd best on FCS team. The last 3 recruiting classes have not helped the future.

Reactions: Coug90
I am watching UNT-Boise St. UNT OL and receivers are already way better. I’ve enjoyed following Wazzu since Leach, but you guys are totally delusional!! You have to recruit and develop some kids!! Give Dickert some time. Worst OL in Power 5 and best receiver was 3rd best on FCS team. The last 3 recruiting classes have not helped the future.
If you weren’t paying attention 2 of our top receivers went into the portal and we had guys out all over the defense too. That said I agree we had a lull in recruiting which is to be expected when you have a coach who’s on cruise control as soon as he takes the job then gets canned halfway through a season. From Covid to the Rolo shit show, hopefully will now have some stability, because I think Dickert can coach and I don’t think he’s in a hurry to move his family again for another job.

He’s gonna sink or swim though because this is a big offseason with lots of question marks.

Reactions: Scarlet Matador

THIS ^^^^^

Wulf was 1-11, and getting beat by 69-0

Dickert FINISHED, had great energy, discipline, blow out of UW in the 2nd half of a 7 win season, last season, despite the SHET SITUATION he inherited MID SEASON from Rolo, and won 7 more games this season.

And his first recruiting cycle DICKERT only had days, weeks, maybe a month or 2 to COBBLE together a recruiting class, THANKS TO ROLO.

And there was more 3 stars then 2.5 stars, and more 2.5 stars then NR, 2 stars, Whitworth players on, in Dickert's recruiting class, vs Wulf's almost all 2 stars, NR's, Whitworth's

And the WSU, etc, PUT UP 52 POINTS VS STANFORD, and 40+ points against OREGON, DESPITE ALL THE INJURIES LIKE KINGSTON, etc.

And even tho it's technically Dickert's fault for hiring them, it's technically not Dickert's fault that the perfect SHETSTORM of losing both OC/DC in same season, + PORTAL + NIL + WSU TYPE, ETC, ETC, came together all at same time to cause a SHET STORM

JUST STUPID KNEE JERK, WRONG COMPARISON TO WULF.

WSU already has Mateer as a insurance policy.

What Dickert should, must, etc, do is

1. Make good OC/DC/OL coach hires

2. FIRE CLAY

3. Get at least 1 GOOD TRANSFER OR JC QB. AND AT LEAST 1 GOOD JC/Transfer a LB, 1,2,3 GOOD JC/TRANSFER PORTAL OL, AND 1 GOOD WR.

It won't be easy, but it can be done, is doable

4. DICKERT, IS DOBA PART 2. Price had 2, 10 wins seasons. Then Doba went 10-3. Then Doba went 5-7, after that, got fired for that.

And have a honest, fair, open, competitive, transparent etc, QB competition

Last edited:
If you weren’t paying attention 2 of our top receivers went into the portal and we had guys out all over the defense too. That said I agree we had a lull in recruiting which is to be expected when you have a coach who’s on cruise control as soon as he takes the job then gets canned halfway through a season. From Covid to the Rolo shit show, hopefully will now have some stability, because I think Dickert can coach and I don’t think he’s in a hurry to move his family again for another job.

He’s gonna sink or swim though because this is a big offseason with lots of question marks.
Agree, but the “top two” were not good or consistent!! You deserve and can get better!!

not even close, Birnbaum was a statue, at least Ward is athletic

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Agree, but the “top two” were not good or consistent!! You deserve and can get better!!
Agreed. It was a weak WR group. But one of them is already at Ok state, a top 25 program. It’s not like there’s zero talent. There were three WRs on the field that under normal circumstances should see meaningful PT…Smithson, Ferrell, and Bell. Smithson is a Frosh and Bell was playing hurt.

Regardless of it all, what pissed me off the most was the effort and body language from
Ward. Looked like he felt sorry for himself that the deck was stacked against the offense rather than as an opportunity to prove why you are a pro caliber QB. A pro caliber QB gets the best out of the guys on the field with them…gives them confidence that they belong on the field.

I would suspect Dickert will make the QB competition wide open going into the spring, especially with Morris gone.

This is what CPW 2.0 looks like.

If you can't see that the entire roster is bereft of talent, you're looking through rose colored glasses.

Earlier in the month someone posted "hey, just offer 44 kids 'starting' positions and you'll keep them all!!!". I scoffed, but just to follow my hunch I checked and sure enough: that would mean starting about 30 two star players across the board. We only ever recruit between 5 and 10 three star players anyway, so yeah... great idea.

The last OL I've seen this bad was 2008 - these kids just either can't or won't, and neither is good. Watching the RT whiff on any block against a kid running at half pace or faster was a real eye opener. Same for Paine - he never see's the field again until he learns to block imho. If CW wasn't somewhat mobile, he'd have followed the same career path as Gary Rogers.

The WR's are chock full of undersize guys, and the ones that are 6' or taller can't/ won't catch the ball.

Good luck recruiting to a system that doesn't feature a QB, a RB, or WR's. "Hey, come to our school and throw 5 yard outs and tunnel screens all game!!! That'll for sure get you drafted!!"

Morris jumped ship because he saw the writing on the wall about him being canned; Ward jumped ship because he saw the writing on the wall about the downfall of the program.

This is nothing personal about CJD - I don't know the man, and I'm sure he's a great guy. But I'm not sure he, or anyone else for that matter, is capable fighting NIL and the portal in any way significant enough to make a difference vis a vis product on the field.

Honestly, it might be time to go FCS. At this time it seems to fit the direction that WSU is headed and is where they might be able to build something sustainable against similar opponents.
Good post, one strategy i see teams use that are P5 developmental programs, is to grab standout G5 players in the portal.

the blue bloods raid the developmental teams rosters because they have unlimited nil funds. The developmental P5 teams then scout and pick off the best G5 players.

that works, Leach was doing it and added a middle Tennessee state lineman who started all year in the sec , Steven lasoya and was very good. His targets in the portal,at wide receiver, a lot of them were g5 standout receivers who were very polished fourth and fifth year players. Those guys are very good and hold a lot of offers and some will be in the nfl.

there’s no reason WSU can’t employ the same strategy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT