ADVERTISEMENT

What position group is everyone most excited about from the signees?

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
I know people are excited about Cooper and Borghi, but offensively we got 4 new outside receivers from this class. I suspect at least two of them will play. It might be the Texas kids (with Fisher and Gray redshirting) but it could be any or all of them. Offensively I think we got some size and speed that we really needed at this position. Nobody has been able to take the top off a defense from the outside since Dom Williams left, and these are players that look capable of doing that. (Tay Martin is somebody that might be able to do it with more experience) So this is the position group I'm most pumped about on offense.

On defense I really like what we got at linebacker, especially with the return of Pelluer and Catis enrolling early. That gives us some size inside that I wasn't sure we'd have. Djibril and Nunn could both end up here or at safety (I suspect Nunn's height may put him at DB unless he shows enough with his hands to switch sides) but both are great athletes. Dubots is coming off his redshirt, and even if he's not starting he seems like an ideal kick coverage player in the meantime. If the 'nickel' position continues to exist in its current form it seems like Djibril and Ross would be naturals there.

I'd LOVE to have another JC DT in addition to the grad transfer QB from Penn St, but really this is a pretty good class. My primary worries now remain DT depth, finding 3 new starters on the offensive line, and the kicking game. I really hope something positives emerges from spring ball regarding the latter two. The QB situation is what it is, but there's no shortage of talented players to choose from.

Reactions: Tx64
I know people are excited about Cooper and Borghi, but offensively we got 4 new outside receivers from this class. I suspect at least two of them will play. It might be the Texas kids (with Fisher and Gray redshirting) but it could be any or all of them. Offensively I think we got some size and speed that we really needed at this position. Nobody has been able to take the top off a defense from the outside since Dom Williams left, and these are players that look capable of doing that. (Tay Martin is somebody that might be able to do it with more experience) So this is the position group I'm most pumped about on offense.

On defense I really like what we got at linebacker, especially with the return of Pelluer and Catis enrolling early. That gives us some size inside that I wasn't sure we'd have. Djibril and Nunn could both end up here or at safety (I suspect Nunn's height may put him at DB unless he shows enough with his hands to switch sides) but both are great athletes. Dubots is coming off his redshirt, and even if he's not starting he seems like an ideal kick coverage player in the meantime. If the 'nickel' position continues to exist in its current form it seems like Djibril and Ross would be naturals there.

I'd LOVE to have another JC DT in addition to the grad transfer QB from Penn St, but really this is a pretty good class. My primary worries now remain DT depth, finding 3 new starters on the offensive line, and the kicking game. I really hope something positives emerges from spring ball regarding the latter two. The QB situation is what it is, but there's no shortage of talented players to choose from.

I agree with most of what you said. Gray is a little thin and may have to put on some muscle weight to prevent injuries. The two Texas should be able to play early assuming they can block. Coming from Texas I would assume they can. Most Texas High Schools run a variation of Leach's offense. Fisher has the body and early enrollment could really help him. His high school classification to PAC12 is a big jump however.

Based on need and previous recruiting classes the defensive line recruits have to be the best news for WSU. I too would like to see at least one more DL recruit that is close to ready to play. The unrated DL recruit is a stud. His techniques are so raw, but what an upside. I am glad we have Phelps to coach him up. All positions were helped.

After the marathon discussion about one of the graduating DBs, the new recruits look faster. I think all position groups improved in talent. A lot more mid-level recruits. Although we lost a CB at the last minute to Oregon, based on offers and I had to chose, I am glad we got Ross.

As far as a scholarship for a quarterback, it would have to be a graduate transfer. The PSU QB would be great as he has 2 years left. If Leach cannot find the right QB and he is not required to take a QB with that extra pick, I would find even another DL.

I agree with most of what you said. Gray is a little thin and may have to put on some muscle weight to prevent injuries. The two Texas should be able to play early assuming they can block. Coming from Texas I would assume they can. Most Texas High Schools run a variation of Leach's offense. Fisher has the body and early enrollment could really help him. His high school classification to PAC12 is a big jump however.

Based on need and previous recruiting classes the defensive line recruits have to be the best news for WSU. I too would like to see at least one more DL recruit that is close to ready to play. The unrated DL recruit is a stud. His techniques are so raw, but what an upside. I am glad we have Phelps to coach him up. All positions were helped.

After the marathon discussion about one of the graduating DBs, the new recruits look faster. I think all position groups improved in talent. A lot more mid-level recruits. Although we lost a CB at the last minute to Oregon, based on offers and I had to chose, I am glad we got Ross.

As far as a scholarship for a quarterback, it would have to be a graduate transfer. The PSU QB would be great as he has 2 years left. If Leach cannot find the right QB and he is not required to take a QB with that extra pick, I would find even another DL.
I expect the two Texas kids and Fisher to play. "Gray is a little thin"? LOL 6'5" and 175 is not a little thin, it's downright skinny. He would need to add muscle to play basketball, never mind football. The young man from NZ is also in need of size. Pei and Gray will go to the front of the list for the S&C and nutrition crew. Agree with you regarding Pei's teaching from Phelps. It should be interesting to see what those two look like and can do in a couple of years.

I and just about every one else agrees with you about the last two scholarships. The Penn State QB and a wide body DL would please all of us. If the Penn State QB stays in Pennsylvania or goes elsewhere then a DT and the best available athlete would do the trick.

I expect the two Texas kids and Fisher to play. "Gray is a little thin"? LOL 6'5" and 175 is not a little thin, it's downright skinny. He would need to add muscle to play basketball, never mind football. The young man from NZ is also in need of size. Pei and Gray will go to the front of the list for the S&C and nutrition crew. Agree with you regarding Pei's teaching from Phelps. It should be interesting to see what those two look like and can do in a couple of years.

I and just about every one else agrees with you about the last two scholarships. The Penn State QB and a wide body DL would please all of us. If the Penn State QB stays in Pennsylvania or goes elsewhere then a DT and the best available athlete would do the trick.
I'm assuming everyone is talking about Tommy Stevens, regarding the "Penn QB"... Is there any substance to this? I've been looking and looking for any indication that he's even looking our way... let alone leaving Penn State. This seems like a pretty thin assumption. Am I missing something? Are any sites saying that Stevens has an offer from us? I see media asking him, him saying he hasn't thought about it. Anyone? Just media's unsubstantiated conjecture?
Anyways... Here's his highlights he posted on Twitter for those that aren't familiar with his work... A runner but wants to be a QB, not just a position the coach made for him (aka 'The Lion'). He could do a lot at WSU. 6'5" 228lb. Big Boy, too.

I'm assuming everyone is talking about Tommy Stevens, regarding the "Penn QB"... Is there any substance to this? I've been looking and looking for any indication that he's even looking our way... let alone leaving Penn State. This seems like a pretty thin assumption. Am I missing something? Are any sites saying that Stevens has an offer from us? I see media asking him, him saying he hasn't thought about it. Anyone? Just media's unsubstantiated conjecture?
Anyways... Here's his highlights he posted on Twitter for those that aren't familiar with his work... A runner but wants to be a QB, not just a position the coach made for him (aka 'The Lion'). He could do a lot at WSU. 6'5" 228lb. Big Boy, too.

Here is what little I know about the matter. Rumblings out of Penn State were that he was looking into a graduate transfer. Somebody here posted that he was following somebody connected with WSU football on twitter. Don't ask me how that works. I'm too old to do this twitter stuff and don't know anything about it. That is it. A rumor from the East and some purported connection with twitter. As far as WSU offering him, not that I know of. We cannot contact a player on another team about joining the Cougs as this would constitute tampering, a big NCAA no-no. If he were to contact CML about a transfer then we can talk. If he were to transfer, we, the unwashed masses, won't know about it until the t's are crossed and the i's dotted. If he decides to stay in Pa., we may well not hear about that either unless he or the folks there decide to announce it. It's all more than a little foggy and opaque. Maybe nothing to it, just rumors and wishful thinking.

Here is what little I know about the matter. Rumblings out of Penn State were that he was looking into a graduate transfer. Somebody here posted that he was following somebody connected with WSU football on twitter. Don't ask me how that works. I'm too old to do this twitter stuff and don't know anything about it. That is it. A rumor from the East and some purported connection with twitter. As far as WSU offering him, not that I know of. We cannot contact a player on another team about joining the Cougs as this would constitute tampering, a big NCAA no-no. If he were to contact CML about a transfer then we can talk. If he were to transfer, we, the unwashed masses, won't know about it until the t's are crossed and the i's dotted. If he decides to stay in Pa., we may well not hear about that either unless he or the folks there decide to announce it. It's all more than a little foggy and opaque. Maybe nothing to it, just rumors and wishful thinking.

Well said.

That's what I thought... complete rumor

Maybe it's been brought up but there is also all the graduate transfer nuances. Don't you have to find a program at the new school that isn't offered at the old school? Maybe easier for a Drick Bernstine going from NDSU to WSU but I would assume more difficult going from Penn State.

Then there is also the timing. He graduates in June and the application process for grad programs probably ends well before June. Bernstine was the first for WSU so it's possible but it's not like the standard transfer.

Spring ball at Penn State should provide some clues.

Maybe it's been brought up but there is also all the graduate transfer nuances. Don't you have to find a program at the new school that isn't offered at the old school? Maybe easier for a Drick Bernstine going from NDSU to WSU but I would assume more difficult going from Penn State.

Then there is also the timing. He graduates in June and the application process for grad programs probably ends well before June. Bernstine was the first for WSU so it's possible but it's not like the standard transfer.

Timing is bad, but he has two years. This is unusual for graduate transfer.

Yes, but don't we have an assistant coach that can just tweet to the fans to give this guy some love and recruit him to wazzu?

my view on the topic question - I'm most interested in how the older transfer players will fit in and contribute sooner rather than later - I'm excited about the youngsters as far as the future but I tend to be impatient so most curious about how next season will unfold

I have to agree with your Penn State QB/big d-lineman assessment.

Yep. Grad transfers can only occur when the current school does not provide the area of study that the transfer wants to pursue. Sounds reasonable but is in reality a gaping loophole. A potential transfer could announce that he desires to study agriculture, viniculture or some other area that the current school does not provide. Actual interest is optional. Remember the kid from Eastern who went to Oregon? The one who needed three attempts to pass freshman math? Do you think he was really interested in grad school at all? Don't know how the faculty would feel about it (no, actually I do) but we could, in theory, stash a transfer in the enology department even if he couldn't tell Chateau Lafite from Natty Light. Not a problem as long as one holds their nose and closes their eyes.

Yep. Grad transfers can only occur when the current school does not provide the area of study that the transfer wants to pursue. Sounds reasonable but is in reality a gaping loophole. A potential transfer could announce that he desires to study agriculture, viniculture or some other area that the current school does not provide. Actual interest is optional. Remember the kid from Eastern who went to Oregon? The one who needed three attempts to pass freshman math? Do you think he was really interested in grad school at all? Don't know how the faculty would feel about it (no, actually I do) but we could, in theory, stash a transfer in the enology department even if he couldn't tell Chateau Lafite from Natty Light. Not a problem as long as one holds their nose and closes their eyes.
Those are good points. Bernstine was the first but I hope we don't abuse in that way. Slippery slope stuff.

Those are good points. Bernstine was the first but I hope we don't abuse in that way. Slippery slope stuff.
I wonder what Jordan Mathews, the grad transfer from Cal studied at GU last year? Can’t imagine gu having anything Cal wouldn’t have other than religious courses. It should be a big hit on apr if a kid doesn’t get a degree in his grad program.

Reactions: earldacoug
Certainly something to think about. I cannot fathom the alumni allowing WSU to turn into a remote outpost of the SEC but, yes, something to keep an eye on.

Isn't it great that we did well enough across the board that there is even something to debate here???

FWIW, here is my list:

1.) D line
2.) WR
3.) LB
4.) OL
5.) DB

And it hasn't been that long ago that this group of DB's would have put the group at or near the top of my list, because it is a good group. Like I said at the start...good class across the board.

No mention of single individual groups, such as QB, RB or even K/P. I took the original question as referring to groups.

Isn't it great that we did well enough across the board that there is even something to debate here???

FWIW, here is my list:

1.) D line
2.) WR
3.) LB
4.) OL
5.) DB

And it hasn't been that long ago that this group of DB's would have put the group at or near the top of my list, because it is a good group. Like I said at the start...good class across the board.

No mention of single individual groups, such as QB, RB or even K/P. I took the original question as referring to groups.

I looked over all the PAC12 recruiting classes. Some schools got solid linemen, but most did not take a many as WSU. It shows how serious Leach is in trying to win in the trenches. It will be interesting how the classes look three or four years from now.

I looked over all the PAC12 recruiting classes. Some schools got solid linemen, but most did not take a many as WSU. It shows how serious Leach is in trying to win in the trenches. It will be interesting how the classes look three or four years from now.
Not taking tight ends or fullbacks frees up more space for linemen. I like having the extra versatility that at least one of those two positions provides, but I understand why he does it.

ADVERTISEMENT