ADVERTISEMENT

What should WSU do to get off to a fast start?

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Arguments about Boise State's and EWU's talent levels last year aside, WSU's slow starts have been frustrating for most Cougar fans. It's not a matter of what might be done but what should be done. So, allow me to suggest the offense needs to be less predictable. There is absolutely no guessing for early season opponents in prepping for WSU. At least for the first half of the first game, WSU should take a page from its cross-state rivals. We can argue that Chris Peterson resorts to gimmicks, but they do keep defenses guessing, and are effective against most defenses (USC and Alabama being the exceptions). Perhaps the mutts' scheme lends itself more to so-called gimmick or trick plays; the argument that UW's use of misdirection is conducive to trick plays has been made here before. Some have argued the UW has more explosive athletes at the WR positions, thus forcing double teams on guys named John Ross, which creates more pressure on other defenders. The Air Raid can do the same thing if defenses are honest, but we continue seeing opponents dropping eight back to clog the passing lanes; those with swift and savvy LBs quickly and effectively reacted to our run plays. In the first four wins during our 8-game winning streak last season, the offense was much more diverse, with the run-pass ratio being 35-45 against Idaho, Oregon, Stanford, and UCLA. In the beginning, that ratio was 22-61 v. EWU and Boise State. Stanford's and UCLA's defense were at least equal to EWU's and Boise State's so it's reasonable to suggest we should have been more diverse in those first two games.
We mostly saw a return to an imbalance in the last three games (23-51), all three of which we lost. Of course, one can argue that more talented defenses can force this kind of imbalance in the Air Raid, but Falk clearly gave up on the running game. To avoid yet another slow start, WSU must embrace more diversity.

I'd love to see us just man f'ing up, and push Montana St around. We have the physical advantage, so just line up behind O'Connell & Dillard, push MSU's line back 5 yards and let their LBs deal with Wicks & Williams 30-some times.

This is a bit of a glib response (no research or looking back at anything), but it seems like a big part of the problem has been poor preparation on defense. From Caldwell starting at safety against Rutgers a few years ago, to having no answers for Portland State's offense a couple years ago, to the whole defense looking like it was on roller skates for most of the game against Eastern, it seems like our defense, in particular, comes out looking like it has no idea what the hell it's doing in openers. It seems like they don't do a great job of using fall practice to identify who can play and preparing them to do so.

At the same time, I don't know that it's necessarily something with Leach or his preparation, since they went down and played that good game against Auburn (albeit a good game in which a more accurate Nick Marshall would have made it less of a game). While I hate to lend credence to the kind of things our rivals would say, maybe all that time the D spends practicing against the Air Raid, with a relatively little amount of time game week getting ready for the opposing team's offense, isn't enough?

To me it is all on Falk s shoulders,he is the leader of the team and should show the way. I know all of his accolades yet they have gotten off to slow starts to start the season and in big games. It is time for him to shine early and brightly in big games.

This is a bit of a glib response (no research or looking back at anything), but it seems like a big part of the problem has been poor preparation on defense. From Caldwell starting at safety against Rutgers a few years ago, to having no answers for Portland State's offense a couple years ago, to the whole defense looking like it was on roller skates for most of the game against Eastern, it seems like our defense, in particular, comes out looking like it has no idea what the hell it's doing in openers. It seems like they don't do a great job of using fall practice to identify who can play and preparing them to do so.

At the same time, I don't know that it's necessarily something with Leach or his preparation, since they went down and played that good game against Auburn (albeit a good game in which a more accurate Nick Marshall would have made it less of a game). While I hate to lend credence to the kind of things our rivals would say, maybe all that time the D spends practicing against the Air Raid, with a relatively little amount of time game week getting ready for the opposing team's offense, isn't enough?

It has more to do with the overall talent of the defensive players. If the Cougars recruit well and get better players than they have had, the defense will not have the let downs they have had.

Yup the offense does 4 , 3 in and outs,a couple of turnovers, and the defense gives up early TD s and the game is over

Last edited:
It would help if the defense could get some stops. The Eastern game last season was particularly frisrtrating, as we allowed them to convert what felt like 100% of their big 3rd down plays. We played better defense in the 2nd half vs. Boise, but we let them go off in the 1st half and set the tone.

Playing at home against MSU, Boise, Oregon St., and Nevada, I'd like to see the defense make an early statement. The offense may take a few games to find their timing.

Part of it is Falk's ultra calm demeanor.

It's good for when things are bad, but you need people fired up. With a killer instinct. Less Cool hand Luke, more killer instinct Luke.

Part of it is a lack of experience in key positions as people still sort through playing versus just practicing

Part of it is taking it serious and focusing no matter the opponent instead of just expecting to cruise through. Every opponent practices just like we do. They lift weights like we do. Don't expect anything easy. Expect only the opportunity to prove who is the toughest and most determined.

I'd love to see us just man f'ing up, and push Montana St around. We have the physical advantage, so just line up behind O'Connell & Dillard, push MSU's line back 5 yards and let their LBs deal with Wicks & Williams 30-some times.

Line me up for this solution. It's how we beat Idaho and stopped the whole season from dying in the crib. When we have the horses to push a team around, then do that. Once they creep up to stop it, THEN beat them over the top. Stop holding onto the ball looking for the bomb on every play. The offense moves the ball when we run and when Falk just takes what he can get quickly.

It is about attitude, far less to do with imbalance on offense. Imbalance doesn't explain what EWU and MSU were able to do to our defense. The coaching staff has to repeatedly remind our kids that they aren't P-12 talent, they are kids that most to all other P-12 schools did not want. That means that there isn't much of a talent gap between our starting 22 and a Big Sky starting 22, to start the season, when both teams our healthy. If we don't play with a Gabe Marks size chip on our shoulder, we only have the pure talent to go 2-10. Leach can coach a prefect game balance-wise, it won't overcome a "all we need do is show up" attitude. We haven't had that talent level since 2003.

It would help if the defense could get some stops. The Eastern game last season was particularly frisrtrating, as we allowed them to convert what felt like 100% of their big 3rd down plays. We played better defense in the 2nd half vs. Boise, but we let them go off in the 1st half and set the tone.

Playing at home against MSU, Boise, Oregon St., and Nevada, I'd like to see the defense make an early statement. The offense may take a few games to find their timing.

Luani's absence from the EWU game was critical. He and Cooper Kupp would have had a few Come to Jesus moments had Luani been there. Instead, we had a skinny freshman getting schooled time and time again (the other DBs and the pass rush weren't anything to write home about). A lot of progress can be made through winter conditioning and spring ball, but has a clear successor to Luani emerged? It's tough to say at this juncture.
As for the offense's timing, Johnson-Mack brings more size to Marks' position, and he's had a year on the field to go with his high school resume (offer from Florida, others). But I'm not sure he's as fast as Marks, a 4.5 guy at best. Dimry is the darkhorse. I know he can run, and at 6-5, he should be getting everything Dom Williams got a couple years ago when we get inside the 15. As I said in a previous post, we can't afford to go pass heavy in these first few games as we did a year ago. More diversity is key.

Simply put, we need to come ready to play. Especially on the line (O and D). They looked like they expected to be dominant just by being on the field, and then played like bullfighters.

Especially against EWU, the back 7 needs to be more aggressive. Last year they consistently gave Cooper Kupp room underneath, and to their credit, EWU took what we gave them. Against PSU, we showed that we were weak against QB runs - something that did not improve through the 2015 season (seriously, we gave up 100 rushing yards to Kevin Hogan. That's just embarrassing.) and it was only moderately improved in 2016. If Grinch hasn't taught them how to keep the QB in the pocket in his 3rd year, we'll top out at 7-5.

Both years, the defense looked like they were surprised that an FCS team didn't just roll over for us. The O was the same way against PSU, but was a little better against Eastern. This year, they need to approach it just like they do a Pac-12 game - know their job and their playbook, and come ready for a fight. Falk needs to spread the ball around and take what the defense gives them. If they're dropping 8, kill them with runs and dumps to RBs. When they come up to stop it, hit the receivers over the top. Don't look for the big play on every down - take the 5-7 yard gain and let the receivers break them longer.

Yup the offense does 4 , 3 in and outs,a couple of turnovers, and the defense gives up early TD s and the game is over

In the EWU game, WSU's offense had the ball for more than 32 minutes, 19 of that in the first half, at which point WSU was leading 28-17 until a turnover led to a late EWU score. Eastern just kept going with the quick passing game, and its QB, Gage Gabrud, was a very effective runner, moving the chains for many conversions. WSU's defense, without Luani, and unable to get pressure, was essentially helpless.
Boise State simply continued the same strategy - quick passes and a mix of runs to race down the field. WSU had the ball nearly 38 minutes in that game, so what does that tell you? With a quick passing game and McNichols on the run, Boise State was much more efficient on offense, although WSU's late push in the 4th quarter left both with more than 500 yards in offense (Boise State went up 31-14 just as the 4th quarter began). WSU had zero sacks in that game, which emphasizes Boise State's success in getting the ball out early.
Look for our early opponents to try the same thing. Grinch will be without Luani and will be relying on a somewhat smaller d-line. Only Ekuale and Tapa are typical d-tackles, although we'll have to see how McBroom and Mattox look after summer conditioning. They were 280 and 286 respectively in the spring. Perhaps Nick Begg will have more size and can move inside.

Not play vanilla defense. The last two years at the beginning of the year it just seemed like they didn't show any blitz packages and tried to rush 3. I also think Barber not being on the d-line is a good thing. If you look at last year at the games Barber played, he made the line slow, they didn't get pressure on the offense. I thought it was a bad idea for them to put him back as a starter when he got reinstated.

The offense just needs to do their thing and they'll be alright, start with the run and keep with it if it's working then work in the passes.

In the EWU game, WSU's offense had the ball for more than 32 minutes, 19 of that in the first half, at which point WSU was leading 28-17 until a turnover led to a late EWU score. Eastern just kept going with the quick passing game, and its QB, Gage Gabrud, was a very effective runner, moving the chains for many conversions. WSU's defense, without Luani, and unable to get pressure, was essentially helpless.
Boise State simply continued the same strategy - quick passes and a mix of runs to race down the field. WSU had the ball nearly 38 minutes in that game, so what does that tell you? With a quick passing game and McNichols on the run, Boise State was much more efficient on offense, although WSU's late push in the 4th quarter left both with more than 500 yards in offense (Boise State went up 31-14 just as the 4th quarter began). WSU had zero sacks in that game, which emphasizes Boise State's success in getting the ball out early.
Look for our early opponents to try the same thing. Grinch will be without Luani and will be relying on a somewhat smaller d-line. Only Ekuale and Tapa are typical d-tackles, although we'll have to see how McBroom and Mattox look after summer conditioning. They were 280 and 286 respectively in the spring. Perhaps Nick Begg will have more size and can move inside.

Our defense has been terrible at dealing with mobile QB's. If we could have kept CU's QBs from moving the chains with their legs, we would have won that game despite the 425 drops we had. Agree that playing without Luani was a big deal and building depth over time is critical. As far as what we need to do to start the season, it's hard to say. Having watched a couple of Leach's halftime rants over the years, the one thing that he seems to struggle with as a coach is getting his players amped up to play opponent's that they aren't excited to play.

Personally, I think we need to head into the Montana State game with a desire to score 100 points.....not merely beat them handily. In 1997, Boise State's kicker was talking smack before the game because he was pissed off that WSU failed to recruit him. Our team took it personally and gave them a 58-0 beatdown where the only time that the kid stepped on the field of play was for the opening kickoff. I believe that it's the largest loss in their school's history still. Even without Luani, we should be able to punish them and we need to be relentless.

Not play vanilla defense. The last two years at the beginning of the year it just seemed like they didn't show any blitz packages and tried to rush 3. I also think Barber not being on the d-line is a good thing. If you look at last year at the games Barber played, he made the line slow, they didn't get pressure on the offense. I thought it was a bad idea for them to put him back as a starter when he got reinstated.

The offense just needs to do their thing and they'll be alright, start with the run and keep with it if it's working then work in the passes.

I'd revise to say- be ready to blitz, mix coverage, etc. Neither the offense nor the defense were anywhere close to midseason form for the last two openers.

With the amount of $ the coaches make, there is never a excuse to not be prepared for any team we play. Ever.

With the amount of $ the coaches make, there is never a excuse to not be prepared for any team we play. Ever.

Well, in 2015, it was Grinch's first season. in 2016, Luani was suspended the week before the opener, so Taylor and Thompson were in. Bad match up against EWU. I think those reasonable things to point to. However, for both the PSU and EWU games WSU should of dominated the LOS, which did not occur.

Random and Fab5 have mentioned the importance of establishing a strong running game early and I agree. Socal has referred to attitude as an important element of the game and I can also see that. But I look at that from a different perspective than he has addressed, the opponent's attitude.

What are the opposing coaching staffs undoubtedly telling their kids before the game? (1) You will be going up against the Air Raid so expect lots of passing. (2) You may be a lower rated group but you can beat those guys. My suggestion coincides with that of Random and socal, run the f'ing ball like they vote in Chicago- early and often. Use our large and superior O-line to shove it down their throats. Only throw the ball when success is practically guaranteed and of a considerable advantage. Otherwise, keep pounding the ball. This would put some questions in the minds of the opposing players as to their staff's advice regarding the Air Raid. Likewise they should start to question the second point. (1) I thought these guys invariably threw the ball and (2) uh, no we can't. If we cannot establish dominance with our O-line against lower regarded teams then I am out of answers.

Regarding our own attitude, I am reminded that one of Leach's three points towards success is "be the most excited". (I can't remember the other two at the time of this post.) Someone needs to give CML a gentle nudge or a swift kick in the ass about this. None of us have noticed any remarkable degree of excitement permeating the entire team during these early season outings. The staff puts the best players on the field and that is fine but maybe if there is a small difference in ability between the prospective starter and his backup, then go with the one with the greater fervor even if he would normally be the backup.

That is my advice concerning offense and it is worth what you have paid for it.

As far as defense, frankly I don't know. The ongoing problems with defensive back cohesion in the early segment of the season and our lack of ability to stop running quarterbacks have been obvious and that is on Grinch and his guys to deal with.

Last edited:
Random and Fab5 have mentioned the importance of establishing strong running game early and I agree. Socal has referred to attitude as an important element of the game and I can also see that. But I look at that from a different perspective than he has addressed, the opponent's attitude.

What are the opposing coaching staff's undoubtedly telling their kids before the game? (1) You will be going up against the Air Raid so expect lots of passing. (2) You may be a lower rated group but you can beat those guys. My suggestion coincides with that of Random and socal, run the f'ing ball like they vote in Chicago- early and often. Use our large and superior O-line to shove in down their throats. Only throw the ball when success is practically guaranteed and of a considerable advantage. Otherwise, keep pounding the ball. This would put some questions in the minds of the opposing players as to their staff's advice regarding the Air Raid. Likewise they should start to question the second point. (1) I thought these guys invariably threw the ball and (2) uh, no we can't. If we cannot establish dominance with our O-line against lower regarded teams then I am out of answers.

Regarding our own attitude, I am reminded that one of Leach's three points towards success is "be the most excited". (I can't remember the other two at the time of this post.) Someone needs to give CML a gentle nudge or a swift kick in the ass about this. None of us have noticed any remarkable degree of excitement permeating the entire team during these early season outings. The staff puts the best players on the field and that is fine but maybe if there is a small difference in ability between the prospective starter and his backup, then go with the one with the greater fervor even if he would normally be the backup.

That is my advice concerning offense and it is worth what you have paid for it.

As far as defense, frankly I don't know. The ongoing problems with defensive back cohesion in the early segment of the season and our lack of ability to stop running quarterbacks have been obvious and that is on Grinch and his guys to deal with.

More than a week practicing in Lewiston does that to a team (countdown now for Cougpatrol's obligatory crack at Yakima... 10...9...8...7 ...)

This year, I feel like the Nevada game is our biggest potential let down of the early season.

You should just stop exposing your 5-year-old boys to bad football. It's child abuse. :/

Funny you should say that. Try as I do to brainwash them, they're not on board yet. I think hearing me bitch, moan, and complain throughout the 2008 - 2012 era damaged them in ways I can't undo. They even get to miss school on Friday's before home games, and I still can't win them over.

Funny you should say that. Try as I do to brainwash them, they're not on board yet. I think hearing me bitch, moan, and complain throughout the 2008 - 2012 era damaged them in ways I can't undo. They even get to miss school on Friday's before home games, and I still can't win them over.
Have you considered putting them up for adoption?

Reactions: CougEd
I'll offer a thought on this topic.

Leach's offense relies first and foremost on execution. Almost to the exclusion of anything else. Which is fine if we execute. Unfortunately, early in the season we tend not to execute well. The QB's typical response to a failure to execute in the Leach system has been to become more conservative, trying to dial back to the point where the team executes. That pretty much describes what we've done for the first few games every year. Once the execution gets better, the QB loosens up.

If we are going to do something different this year in the early games, we only have two choices: either execute better right out of the box (might be possible with a senior QB); or DELIBERATELY choose to act in a more daring manner despite poor execution. "More daring" means deviating from the tried and true crossing, mesh, bubble screen and RB out of the backfield passes, and instead running more and throwing sideline passes (some of which have to be deep) more.

I'll offer a thought on this topic.

Leach's offense relies first and foremost on execution. Almost to the exclusion of anything else. Which is fine if we execute. Unfortunately, early in the season we tend not to execute well. The QB's typical response to a failure to execute in the Leach system has been to become more conservative, trying to dial back to the point where the team executes. That pretty much describes what we've done for the first few games every year. Once the execution gets better, the QB loosens up.

If we are going to do something different this year in the early games, we only have two choices: either execute better right out of the box (might be possible with a senior QB); or DELIBERATELY choose to act in a more daring manner despite poor execution. "More daring" means deviating from the tried and true crossing, mesh, bubble screen and RB out of the backfield passes, and instead running more and throwing sideline passes (some of which have to be deep) more.
Deep sideline passes are more effective with bigger receivers, which we now have. So that helps.

This year, I feel like the Nevada game is our biggest potential let down of the early season.
Nevada was dead last in rushing defense last year. This would be a good game to run a whole lot and rest the QB's arm.

Arguments about Boise State's and EWU's talent levels last year aside, WSU's slow starts have been frustrating for most Cougar fans. It's not a matter of what might be done but what should be done. So, allow me to suggest the offense needs to be less predictable. There is absolutely no guessing for early season opponents in prepping for WSU. At least for the first half of the first game, WSU should take a page from its cross-state rivals. We can argue that Chris Peterson resorts to gimmicks, but they do keep defenses guessing, and are effective against most defenses (USC and Alabama being the exceptions). Perhaps the mutts' scheme lends itself more to so-called gimmick or trick plays; the argument that UW's use of misdirection is conducive to trick plays has been made here before. Some have argued the UW has more explosive athletes at the WR positions, thus forcing double teams on guys named John Ross, which creates more pressure on other defenders. The Air Raid can do the same thing if defenses are honest, but we continue seeing opponents dropping eight back to clog the passing lanes; those with swift and savvy LBs quickly and effectively reacted to our run plays. In the first four wins during our 8-game winning streak last season, the offense was much more diverse, with the run-pass ratio being 35-45 against Idaho, Oregon, Stanford, and UCLA. In the beginning, that ratio was 22-61 v. EWU and Boise State. Stanford's and UCLA's defense were at least equal to EWU's and Boise State's so it's reasonable to suggest we should have been more diverse in those first two games.
We mostly saw a return to an imbalance in the last three games (23-51), all three of which we lost. Of course, one can argue that more talented defenses can force this kind of imbalance in the Air Raid, but Falk clearly gave up on the running game. To avoid yet another slow start, WSU must embrace more diversity.

1) Stop sucking on first down. 5.8 yds per play (83rd) while allowing 6.3 yds. -0.5 margin ranks them 93rd (per Athlon)

2) to your point, the Cougs run 35% of the time on standard downs and 19% of the time on passing downs. The national average is 60 and 34. Falk could check down a hell of a lot more and we'd still be a pass first offense. I feel like he did this A LOT during the CU game, to our detriment (because the defense couldn't stop a wet fart that day).

We have an ever improving offensive line that includes the best player in the nation at his position (arguably?). I know that Falk is taught to take what the defense gives him pre-snap, but if they're up against a bottom 50 run defense, shove it down their throat until they put 8 or 9 guys in the box and then go over the top. I feel like common sense gets put aside for the all-important pre-snap read, and then we end up playing the game the opposing D coordinator wants us to instead of dictating it ourselves.

I'd revise to say- be ready to blitz, mix coverage, etc. Neither the offense nor the defense were anywhere close to midseason form for the last two openers.

Hoping Grinch and crew have coached/ recruited some LB's who can get to the qb.

We might be the worst 34 I've ever seen when it comes to getting pressure on the qb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT