ADVERTISEMENT

What's going on at Georgia?

Partly both. Richt had great recruiting classes as well, but there was zero accountability when these blue-chip 5-star guys were found with weed and knocked around their girlfriends (i.e., Isaiah Crowell).

He judges his assistant by two things: recruiting and players playing hard for them.
Well they're doing something right--I know they have recruited well before, but this seems like Alabama-level quality.

Georgia has always recruited Top 10, but Kirby + NC game has really kicked it into overdrive. Georgia is one of the top 3-4 states for talent too, and there really is no in-state competition for that talent. Go to Tech to hit the books and UGA to hit the pads.

Georgia has always recruited Top 10, but Kirby + NC game has really kicked it into overdrive. Georgia is one of the top 3-4 states for talent too, and there really is no in-state competition for that talent. Go to Tech to hit the books and UGA to hit the pads.

When I went to the WSU/Auburn game, I flew into Atlanta. Auburn is just about a 1 1/2 hour drive...... they get their fair share of local talent.

When I went to the WSU/Auburn game, I flew into Atlanta. Auburn is just about a 1 1/2 hour drive...... they get their fair share of local talent.
The claim was "in-state competition", not "local" competition. It really matters to people to represent their city/state, and UGA is Atlanta's football team (Falcons notwithstanding).

This article says UGA’s class is turning into one of the best classes since rankings have been around:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...6809468/georgia-recruiting-class-ranking-2018
According to 247, UGA's class almost has as many 5 stars (7) as the next 3 teams combined (9). The year before (Kirby's first), they were #3. Unlike Richt, Kirby seems to be able to make hay with elite recruiting, so with better recruiting than Richt, 2018 should be a spicy year for the Dawgs.

According to 247, UGA's class almost has as many 5 stars (7) as the next 3 teams combined (9). The year before (Kirby's first), they were #3. Unlike Richt, Kirby seems to be able to make hay with elite recruiting, so with better recruiting than Richt, 2018 should be a spicy year for the Dawgs.

I remember SMU having a recruiting class like that once. Bum Phillips was quotes as saying something to the effect that he did not know how they did it and they better hope know one finds out. A few years later they got the only death penalty ever give out by NCAA. Just saying.

SMU didn't have ESPN covering it's back. Think it's a coincidence that SEC/Alabama has won virtually every national title since ESPN bought them?

We all know BIG money talks, SMU millionaire boosters were peanuts compared to ESPN.

Just saying...

Personally, as someone with little respect for the SEC (not for their teams on the field, but for the rest of it), I am delighted to see UGA do well. Helps to have multiple SEC teams that can grind on each other. Historically that league has been a couple of elite level teams, several good teams and a bunch of cannon fodder. The current concentration of players at Alabama is being diminished somewhat by UGA's recruiting success, which to me is a plus. A few of the traditionally decent teams (a few of which are even academically credible, as well...Florida is an example) have stumbled in terms of coaching choices. The pendulum will swing and they will get back in the saddle eventually. At this point, though, it is Georgia's turn.

The SMU comments are probably peripherally accurate. There are many ways to game the system. I doubt that there are any sacks or coffee cups with cash. That kind of thing is more of a crude, unsophisticated, UW-type method. No need to do it that way; it is too easy to simply have a kid's dad get a much better job with a booster, or better yet, a business that is dependent upon business that comes from a booster's business. Example: the booster owns a series of car dealerships. The kid's dad suddenly is hired by the company that supplies all the car cleaning supplies to the dealership chain, and the chain suddenly is paying a little more each month for the soap, wax, towels, sponges, etc. I saw that exact thing happen up close and personal 40-ish years ago with a WSU booster, and I can guarantee that if it happened then for WSU, it is (and has been) rampant in the SEC. The biggest risk to SEC teams is when another team, or another team's rabid booster, finds out about the arrangement and drops a dime. I suspect that the ESPN money has probably had the inadvertent effect of making the league take those tips a bit more seriously and although they probably try to keep the investigations quiet, they are probably trying hard behind the scenes to keep this kind of thing from blowing up publicly. Net result is you get more & better league enforcement in a roundabout way, but it is not transparent.

One thing few people in this thread seem to have considered is that Georgia was an exceptionally clean program under Mark Richt - and still netted Top 5 or 10 recruiting classes every single year. But now that they're under the championship microscope, one year at #1 is enough to make everyone suspect foul play?

Is it not possible - even likely - that having won 21 games in 2 years and made it to within a hair of the crystal football under a colorful new regime is enough to get a lot of players in a talent-rich state excited?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the chances of this turning from your-dad-smoked-a-joint-so-you're-out-for-the-first-4-games-Mark-Richt to where-did-teen-dad-Reuben-Foster-get-that-Hummer in 2 years are pretty slim. I always suspected Ole Miss, Auburn and - despite some efforts - Alabama. But I don't think the entire culture - of which boosters are a HUGE part - gets the complete 180 in 18 months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT