ADVERTISEMENT

What's with Husky fans?

Sep 2, 2005
Auburn guy here. When we played you guys, the relationship between the two fan bases was cordial and the banter respectful. Down on the Plains, we partied together, tailgated together, ate together and generally got along swimmingly.

Now flash forward to today. Over on the Huskies' Hardcore site, they are b----ing about AU fans being too nice, because we won't get into a p---ing match with them on the streets in downtown Atlanta! They are calling our folks names because we don't want to fight. They are as bad as West "Burning Couch" Virginia fans, generally recognized as the worst place in America for visiting fans -- only THEY'RE in reality, the visitors.

Now I see what you Coug fans were talking about when you complained about them in Auburn. I thought y'all were exaggerating, due to the rivalry thing. I was wrong, They really are buttheads!

Most people who attended UW are not representative of the small hardcore group of p**cks that you clearly encountered. But that group makes pretty much anyone who runs into them hate UW. It is what it is.

Reactions: Cougzz
Auburn guy here. When we played you guys, the relationship between the two fan bases was cordial and the banter respectful. Down on the Plains, we partied together, tailgated together, ate together and generally got along swimmingly.

Now flash forward to today. Over on the Huskies' Hardcore site, they are b----ing about AU fans being too nice, because we won't get into a p---ing match with them on the streets in downtown Atlanta! They are calling our folks names because we don't want to fight. They are as bad as West "Burning Couch" Virginia fans, generally recognized as the worst place in America for visiting fans -- only THEY'RE in reality, the visitors.

Now I see what you Coug fans were talking about when you complained about them in Auburn. I thought y'all were exaggerating, due to the rivalry thing. I was wrong, They really are buttheads!

My bride is from Atlanta and didn't believe me when I told her about Huskie fans (and the university in general). After a year of living in western Washington, she's amazed at how correct I am.

I think it is the high percentage of Husky fans who think "their sh*t doesn't stink". Plus the inherent chip on their shoulder when they play the established Eastern Time zone football programs. My son and I went to both WSU/Auburn games (2006 and 2013), other than being sad at seeing Cougar losses, we had a great time and really did not run into even one A-hole Auburn fan. I suspect that would have been a different story had the Cougs opponent been Alabama. From our time living here in Florida, I see that other than in National Championships, attitude wise Alabama fans and Husky fans have much in common. Though in the case of former you have more room to boast if you have done it on the field.

The large majority of Husky fans I see have a couple of very recognizable traits. First, there’s a sense of entitlement based on what was achieved 25-30 years ago when DJ was taking them to Rose Bowls regularly and won a 1/2 national title ( albeit with some nefarious and unsavory things going on within the program that DJ was well aware of if not in command of). Because of that false sense of entitlement you see coach after coach either a. Fail in the eyes of alumni because UW is not and never has been a CFB super power (willingham, lambright, gilby) or B. Cheat and/or protect players who are criminals and/or don’t go to class (Sark, Weasel). Petey will have the same dilemma as he wins 8, 9, 10 games a year but it’s never good enough.

The second doesn’t exist without the first. A deep sense of insecurity because they can never get back to their “glory days”...and Oregon kicking their ass 13 years in a row...etc.

That’s why you get douche bags that puff their chest out in Atlanta before playing Auburn, a true CFB superpower.

Obligatory (though disproven) shot at DJ.

Must be a sign of your deep sense of security.

Obligatory (though disproven) shot at DJ.

Must be a sign of your deep sense of security.

Now let's be realistic here: Donnie did act pretty petulant inregards to the NCAA's investigation...kind of painted himself into a corner, had to take his football and go home. What followed your deity's exit was a sustained period of malaise, especially with a delusional fan base that overestimates their stature in the college football world.

Had Donnie ran a clean program, we might not have had twenty years of Zima abuse.

Now let's be realistic here: Donnie did act pretty petulant inregards to the NCAA's investigation...kind of painted himself into a corner, had to take his football and go home. What followed your deity's exit was a sustained period of malaise, especially with a delusional fan base that overestimates their stature in the college football world.

Had Donnie ran a clean program, we might not have had twenty years of Zima abuse.

The NCAA simply rubber stamped what the CONFERENCE did. The grownups all acknowledge now what a mistake it was.

When you say mistake.....do you mean "mistake to let UW cheat to win games for as long as they did"?

Even what the UW was accused of was small potatoes. But letting the conference sit in judgment led to a ridiculous result. The NCAA would never have been that harsh, as you well know from your more recent run ins with “the law”.

Even what the UW was accused of was small potatoes. But letting the conference sit in judgment led to a ridiculous result. The NCAA would never have been that harsh, as you well know from your more recent run ins with “the law”.

Do you really expect us to be objective about this? Everyone knows that UW was crooked back then....just like almost all the other "big boys". How crooked? Who knows for sure, but don't pretend that there wasn't hinky stuff going on there. Hell, I know that athletes cheated on drug testing when I was in college in the early 90's because I had a couple friends that did it. I had a friend who played for another college who somehow could afford a brand new Toyota.

Do you really expect us to be objective about this? Everyone knows that UW was crooked back then....just like almost all the other "big boys". How crooked? Who knows for sure, but don't pretend that there wasn't hinky stuff going on there. Hell, I know that athletes cheated on drug testing when I was in college in the early 90's because I had a couple friends that did it. I had a friend who played for another college who somehow could afford a brand new Toyota.

You obviously don’t know what the UW was sanctioned for. I appreciate your concession that the shots taken are simply a matter of Cougar obligation. That was my point.

My son and I went to both WSU/Auburn games (2006 and 2013), other than being sad at seeing Cougar losses, we had a great time and really did not run into even one A-hole Auburn fan.
Our experience was great as well.

Though we did run into one A-hole fan. As we were walking out, a kid with his T-shirt wrapped around his head yelled "You came 3,000 miles to get your a$$ kicked! Hah!" He was immediately booed down by other Auburn fans and our small group of Coug fans were told "Ignore the idiot. We are sorry about jerks like that. Come by our spot for a couple of beers and some food and hang out." And at the SkyBar we had some kid yell at us "Losers get in free! Get used to it this season!" and the bartender give us a free beer to apologize. (Yes, their policy is no cover for the fans of the losing team. But they aren't jerks about it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougzz
Small potatoes is relative considering all the other transgressions and shady coaches UW has employed over the years.

Small potatoes is relative considering all the other transgressions and shady coaches UW has employed over the years.

And yet, WSU has been found lacking in institutional control by the NCAA twice in the years since 1993. I guess it really is all relative.

I liked you a lot more when you were witty and not so defensive.

I’ll be back to my charming self when you’re all on suicide watch after the AC.

And if it goes other than you imply?

Well it won't go the other way, so we don't have to worry about that.

And yes HH, you are a bit defensive lately. You do know that this is a WSU fan site, right? o_O

Reactions: YakiCoug
I’ll be back to my charming self when you’re all on suicide watch after the AC.
You are a little late for that...that was like five apple cups ago. Our expectations for that match have tempered.

But we would like the old wise cracking, witty, good humored HHusky back. The fact that a couple barbs towards past Husky delinquency has turned you into this version of yourself makes me think the likable HHusky is a fraud.

Well it won't go the other way, so we don't have to worry about that.

And yes HH, you are a bit defensive lately. You do know that this is a WSU fan site, right? o_O

I not only know it, I made it a point to share some WSU history.

I not only know it, I made it a point to share some WSU history.

Leave him alone. It must be rough knowing your season long goal has been shattered after one week of college football. Who can blame him for coming over here and spewing nonsense. Go back to opening up against Montana and being the blunt of every ESPN joke.

Reactions: Cougatron
Sounds like your disagreement isn’t about the uw cheating but rather how they were punished .

Let me ask you this ... what is the difference in a booster handing a recruit a bag of cash vs paying him for a job he never went to ?

Sounds like your disagreement isn’t about the uw cheating but rather how they were punished .

Let me ask you this ... what is the difference in a booster handing a recruit a bag of cash vs paying him for a job he never went to ?

There was no such claim made, so what is the relevance of your question? The so called “no work” jobs didn’t involve recruits.

Given the widespread scourge of suicide in America, I’m gonna plead not guilty to cultural appropriation here.
I don't have a freakin' clue what you mean by "cultural appropriation". For a Husky, I don't mind you. You're pretty dry, as is your humor. Just a slip, I'm guessing. Just a touchy phrase, man. Especially right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT