ADVERTISEMENT

Where is the WSU collective?

Done. Why isn’t this link being marketed heavier?
Because they need to get a better team of volunteers together, and Jed Collins and "the board" simply cannot do it by themselves. I question if the board is hardly doing anything at all, in terms of real action.

We'll need a bunch more people and a lot of guys who write code, build websites, and work in marketing and PR for a living.

Essentially, we need a full force effort. All hands on deck.

Instead, we have something you'd find from a Big Sky member. Not a Power 5 member.

This is the group that funded Cam Ward's NIL Deal, of $100k+ and the truck.

The problem is that they are not well coordinated, organized, managed, marketed.

They do have the money, resources, because of Rypien, Bledsoe, etc, like money, and because of all the former players, Alumni, BUSINESS, etc.

But because it's not well organized, coordinated, managed, marketed, then it's run like WSU's athletic budget.

What I mean by that is that altho WSU has a athletic budget of a couple, few, some, a semi lot of millions, it still struggle to Market WSU effectively.

Part of that is that WSU cuts corners, has volunteers, etc, and part of that is that the people they do have are not effective to put it kindly.

The same type of situation exist for the WSU's NIL group.

I suspect that it's going to take 1,2,3 years, seasons to get up to speed.

The problem is that they are not well coordinated, organized, managed, marketed.

They do have the money, resources, because of Rypien, Bledsoe, etc, like money, and because of all the former players, Alumni, BUSINESS, etc.

But because it's not well organized, coordinated, managed, marketed, then it's run like WSU's athletic budget.

What I mean by that is that altho WSU has a athletic budget of a couple, few, some, a semi lot of millions, it still struggle to Market WSU effectively.

Part of that is that WSU cuts corners, has volunteers, etc, and part of that is that the people they do have are not effective to put it kindly.

The same type of situation exist for the WSU's NIL group.

I suspect that it's going to take 1,2,3 years, seasons to get up to speed.
What's sad is that we need to find money for Mateer. Big money.

It is true. This is becoming like the NFL. Brian Bosworth = Cam Ward.

Reactions: mikalalas
Because they need to get a better team of volunteers together, and Jed Collins and "the board" simply cannot do it by themselves. I question if the board is hardly doing anything at all, in terms of real action.

We'll need a bunch more people and a lot of guys who write code, build websites, and work in marketing and PR for a living.

Instead, we have something you'd find from a Big Sky member. Not a Power 5 member.
WSU has eschewed volunteers in favor of doing everything themselves because... reasons. 10 years ago there were probably close to 100 volunteers across 3 or 4 "Cougar Clubs" that helped run the fundraisers and did a lot of the footwork. But Moos in all of his wisdom didn't want the unwashed masses mingling with the Cougar elite and decided that a couple of interns and entry level marketing majors could do it all themselves.

If Jed is a product of his era, he too is more concerned about cronyism and making sure that the Cougar illuminati have their boys club as opposed to enlisting the help (and $$) of the masses. You know, step over a pile pennies to pick up a dime?

Reactions: 425cougfan
WSU has eschewed volunteers in favor of doing everything themselves because... reasons. 10 years ago there were probably close to 100 volunteers across 3 or 4 "Cougar Clubs" that helped run the fundraisers and did a lot of the footwork. But Moos in all of his wisdom didn't want the unwashed masses mingling with the Cougar elite and decided that a couple of interns and entry level marketing majors could do it all themselves.

If Jed is a product of his era, he too is more concerned about cronyism and making sure that the Cougar illuminati have their boys club as opposed to enlisting the help (and $$) of the masses. You know, step over a pile pennies to pick up a dime?
I think it goes back even farther than that. I got in with Pierce County Cougar Club back in late 90's and we did the Recruiting dinner and the golf tournament. I think there was 11 clubs holding golf tourneys and all made money. As time went on, there were less and less tourneys, and Pullman took over "Night With Cougar Football" in conjunction with King County folks.

They used to have a Cougar Club President's Summit every fall before a Cougar game. In spite of saying that there would be time for feedback and brainstorming, it was more and more obvious that the Pullman folks didn't care to hear anything from the Presidents. Pretty much everything was dumping out info and instructions on how to do things coming from them. Brady Crook seemed to be a leader on this back then.

Now I was just a guy working at Boeing and did not have any connections throughout the local business community. But most of the other CC Presidents WERE heavily involved in their local communities, with other businesses, were successful owner operators, and they had a lot of good ideas that could have been and should have been accepted and used. It was sad to see the disregard that the Athletic Department felt for all the volunteers out there that simply wanted to help the Cougs. Sad.......

I think it goes back even farther than that. I got in with Pierce County Cougar Club back in late 90's and we did the Recruiting dinner and the golf tournament. I think there was 11 clubs holding golf tourneys and all made money. As time went on, there were less and less tourneys, and Pullman took over "Night With Cougar Football" in conjunction with King County folks.

They used to have a Cougar Club President's Summit every fall before a Cougar game. In spite of saying that there would be time for feedback and brainstorming, it was more and more obvious that the Pullman folks didn't care to hear anything from the Presidents. Pretty much everything was dumping out info and instructions on how to do things coming from them. Brady Crook seemed to be a leader on this back then.

Now I was just a guy working at Boeing and did not have any connections throughout the local business community. But most of the other CC Presidents WERE heavily involved in their local communities, with other businesses, were successful owner operators, and they had a lot of good ideas that could have been and should have been accepted and used. It was sad to see the disregard that the Athletic Department felt for all the volunteers out there that simply wanted to help the Cougs. Sad.......
I was a little bit later to the Cougar Club game in the mid 2000s, but everything you've recounted is spot on. I recall the first visit from the Pullman folks and I suggested "hey, why don't we send out a little chatchkie or something to donors? Something that they can display that shows they donated?" Which was met with a resound "why would we do that? that would cut into the monies that we're raising!!"

About a year later, "Raise the Flag" was initiated and donors started receiving pins, window clings, license plate frames, etc for their donations. Hmmmm....

Anyway, they've completely eliminated the metro Portland dinner because they ran it into the ground and then couldn't figure out why it wasn't profitable. Btw, donations increased every single year, but it was decided that it HAD to be held at Nike campus (so prestigious!) despite Nike not giving us any concessions on price for the venue or catering. It'll be a cold day in hell before I travel to Seattle or Tri-Cities just so I can be privileged enough to give WSU my money.

That fits with Pullman’s general approach to everything. They take things over and either run it into the ground so they can focus more on Pullman…or they bungle it so nobody’s interested anymore, so they can focus more on Pullman.

Hey Stretch! I remember meeting you at the monthly Pierce County Cougar Club at The Poodle Dog in fife. In the 80’s or 90’s, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray

They need to bring people on board that know what to do. This is no time to learn as you go. This needed to hit the ground running as soon as it was allowed.

This is a failure to plan by WSU.

I'm guessing that's a big-time deal by almost any definition.

Is that for the duration of CW's career or will "The Collective" have to re-up at the start of fall practice each year?

Is that for the duration of CW's career or will "The Collective" have to re-up at the start of fall practice each year?

Its for his career, for as long as he is at WSU.

All he has to do is do truck commercials, write a occasional story for either Brand X or a Brand X type, and play football, be on WSU team.

If he leaves WSU, he loses the NIL deal.

Reactions: PeteTheChop

It's until he gets a better offer. Then they'll have to go back to the well again.

The new system is free agency without contracts. You sign with a team, you play a season. Someone else makes a higher bid, you sign with them instead. It's totally mercenary.

Even 5 years ago, any kind of transfer exemptions were rare. Medical redshirts were hard to get. Transferring for anything other than overt abuse cost you a year of eligibility. We've flipped 180 degrees...now it's rare to not get an exemption. You don't even have to apply for the exemptions anymore - look at UVA. The NCAA just gave the entire team (minus the kids who declared for the draft) an extra year.

There needs to be some big changes if CFB is going to be salvaged.

Step 1 is rosters need to shrink. No more having 100 kids on the team - that just allows the big programs to hold more recruits...and lets them use scholarships and NIL strategically. Hard cap of 70 players per team. That forces the talent to spread wider. (I've thought about another model, where teams who finish higher get fewer roster spots, teams who finish lower get more. I like the idea, but it'd be hard to manage.)

Step 2 is changing the current eligibility & participation model. Redshirts aren't what they used to be, so get rid of them. Every player gets to participate in a maximum of 200 quarters over 5 seasons (OT and bowls don't count). You can get a 6th season if you have at least 40 quarters remaining and had 2 seasons ended by injury before the halfway mark.

Step 3 is roster protection. If USC plucks a player from WSU who started at least 50% of WSU's games the previous season, USC pays WSU for his scholarship and this counts as 1 of USC's scholarships. So..USC only gets to carry 69 players that season, while WSU carries 70 and only pays for 69. This does not apply to graduate transfers.

The current system is completely off the rails, some limits need to be established. I don't think they'll do it though. As it is, CFB just isn't as much fun as it used to be. I've finally reached the point where I'm searching for reasons to renew my tickets, and leaning toward not. Not long ago, I just did it without hesitation.

It's until he gets a better offer. Then they'll have to go back to the well again.

The new system is free agency without contracts. You sign with a team, you play a season. Someone else makes a higher bid, you sign with them instead. It's totally mercenary.

Even 5 years ago, any kind of transfer exemptions were rare. Medical redshirts were hard to get. Transferring for anything other than overt abuse cost you a year of eligibility. We've flipped 180 degrees...now it's rare to not get an exemption. You don't even have to apply for the exemptions anymore - look at UVA. The NCAA just gave the entire team (minus the kids who declared for the draft) an extra year.

Step 1 is rosters need to shrink. No more having 100 kids on the team - that just allows the big programs to hold more recruits...and lets them use scholarships and NIL strategically. Hard cap of 70 players per team. That forces the talent to spread wider. (I've thought about another model, where teams who finish higher get fewer roster spots, teams who finish lower get more. I like the idea, but it'd be hard to manage.)

Step 2 is changing the current eligibility & participation model. Redshirts aren't what they used to be, so get rid of them. Every player gets to participate in a maximum of 200 quarters over 5 seasons (OT and bowls don't count). You can get a 6th season if you have at least 40 quarters remaining and had 2 seasons ended by injury before the halfway mark.

Step 3 is roster protection. If USC plucks a player from WSU who started at least 50% of WSU's games the previous season, USC pays WSU for his scholarship and this counts as 1 of USC's scholarships. So..USC only gets to carry 69 players that season, while WSU carries 70 and only pays for 69. This does not apply to graduate transfers.

The current system is completely off the rails, some limits need to be established. I don't think they'll do it though. As it is, CFB just isn't as much fun as it used to be. I've finally reached the point where I'm searching for reasons to renew my tickets, and leaning toward not. Not long ago, I just did it without hesitation.

70 kids all in. Been saying it for a while now.

Until the have nots decide to union and leverage the haves, they will continue to eat crumbs.

The haves now have a way to get the best talent from high schools, have the best talent in football matriculate up the ladder and have a dumping ground for the kids they sign that dont pan out. It is win win win win playoff games for them.

If the rosters were 70 kids all in you would see 4-5 star kids going to schools they and we never dreamed of. The NIL $ collapses as the value is now simply having a roster spot. The portal slows to a trickle cause no one wants to give up their seat. Facility arms race? That’s done.

You will see more “magical season” teams. You will see more blue blood upsets. The interest may actually grow and tv sets turn on more.

The NFL has found a way to create a tv show that gets a lot of eyes nationwide. Why is college football trying to the opposite?

Reactions: Wazzubrooz

To take your Step one in a similar direction, I have thought for a long time that off season practices needed to be leveled out. If the team making the championship game gets 20 extra practices after their regular season, then every team gets that many extra practices, either in spring or fall camps. If you are in an early bowl game and only have 15 practices, then you can add 5 to spring or fall camp. If you didn't make a bowl game, you get all 20 extra practices.

Everybody talks about how valuable those extra practices are for developing younger players, so why should the better teams get even more of an advantage over the lower finishing teams?

Reactions: HCoug and BiggsCoug
Hey Stretch! I remember meeting you at the monthly Pierce County Cougar Club at The Poodle Dog in fife. In the 80’s or 90’s, right?
I don't think I ever went to the Poodle Dog. I started with PCCC about 1997 or 1998, and all our meetings were at Mitzel's.

I did do the introductory MC work for several years at the Pierce golf event and the recruiting dinner. I am about 6'3" and 200#, with a lot of glare coming from the top of my head. If that sounds familiar then it must have been a later time, or possibly someone else. Tim Hamilton (RIP) was a great guy and headed up the club before me. He was about 6' tall with very blond hair. ??

Reactions: HCoug

Until the have nots decide to union and leverage the haves, they will continue to eat crumbs.

The haves now have a way to get the best talent from high schools, have the best talent in football matriculate up the ladder and have a dumping ground for the kids they sign that dont pan out. It is win win win win playoff games for them.

If the rosters were 70 kids all in you would see 4-5 star kids going to schools they and we never dreamed of. The NIL $ collapses as the value is now simply having a roster spot. The portal slows to a trickle cause no one wants to give up their seat. Facility arms race? That’s done.

You will see more “magical season” teams. You will see more blue blood upsets. The interest may actually grow and tv sets turn on more.

The NFL has found a way to create a tv show that gets a lot of eyes nationwide. Why is college football trying to the opposite?
And they do it with only 53 players per team

What would it take for the "95 Plan" to get implemented by powers that be?

And they do it with only 53 players per team

They do. An argument could be made that they are professional football players and not developmental kids.

70 players gives you a 3 deep roster at the 22 positions and 2 deep at kicker/punter.

Prob not gonna be many redshirts.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
I don't think I ever went to the Poodle Dog. I started with PCCC about 1997 or 1998, and all our meetings were at Mitzel's.

I did do the introductory MC work for several years at the Pierce golf event and the recruiting dinner. I am about 6'3" and 200#, with a lot of glare coming from the top of my head. If that sounds familiar then it must have been a later time, or possibly someone else. Tim Hamilton (RIP) was a great guy and headed up the club before me. He was about 6' tall with very blond hair. ??
Yes, it was Mitzel's at Fife! After I said "Poodle Dog", I remember it wasn't held there. It was a special side meeting room at Mitzel's. And 1997 or 1998 seems about right. Just after our Rose Bowl year. I just popped in one time. I believe it was a weeknight, like a Tuesday, 7pm, type of deal.

Cool.

Just donated. Super easy. Links right to PayPal. Those complaining about the website are idiots. These are volunteers trying to create momentum. Do you expect them to spend their own cash on site infrastructure? Get off your ass and donate

Every business needs to know what they are selling. The NFL is selling a league with a bunch of storylines. They can push 3-4 storylines a week to generate interest in whatever match ups are happening. By the time the playoffs roll around the casual fan has formed an opinion on who they want to win and lose. They've turned the Super Bowl into an event. It's appealing to be able to pick up the narrative via osmosis, half watch the game on Sunday and talk about it around the office on Monday.

College Football is a completely different product. There are 131 and I follow one of them. I'll also tune in if there if it looks like an upset might happen. I loved watching Oklahoma taking it in the shorts earlier this year. Or any power program getting mulched by lesser does. However, this doesn't work if teams aren't able to reach some level of dominance which means there needs to be a competitive imbalance for it to work. A four team playoff was never going to generate much interest because it doesn't give America an underdog to root for. Maybe TCU this year or Cincinnati last. Twelve team playoff doesn't work either for the same reason. Not enough chaos. Expand that sucker to 64 teams where you need to go 6-0 against different opponents on a short week, that's going to be must see TV.

Every business needs to know what they are selling. The NFL is selling a league with a bunch of storylines. They can push 3-4 storylines a week to generate interest in whatever match ups are happening. By the time the playoffs roll around the casual fan has formed an opinion on who they want to win and lose. They've turned the Super Bowl into an event. It's appealing to be able to pick up the narrative via osmosis, half watch the game on Sunday and talk about it around the office on Monday.

College Football is a completely different product. There are 131 and I follow one of them. I'll also tune in if there if it looks like an upset might happen. I loved watching Oklahoma taking it in the shorts earlier this year. Or any power program getting mulched by lesser does. However, this doesn't work if teams aren't able to reach some level of dominance which means there needs to be a competitive imbalance for it to work. A four team playoff was never going to generate much interest because it doesn't give America an underdog to root for. Maybe TCU this year or Cincinnati last. Twelve team playoff doesn't work either for the same reason. Not enough chaos. Expand that sucker to 64 teams where you need to go 6-0 against different opponents on a short week, that's going to be must see TV.

I would wager that if the NCAA wanted to use their March Madness blueprint for football it would be equally as big…. maybe bigger than basketball.

32 team playoff. High seeds get home games. Say good bye to the crap bowls.

I would wager that if the NCAA wanted to use their March Madness blueprint for football it would be equally as big…. maybe bigger than basketball.

I completely agree, and it baffles me why it hasn't happened already. Hell, why not a 48 team playoff? Start the season in late August. Add an extra bye week for each team.

The NCAA, as usual, has no clue.

Reactions: Cougini5591
I completely agree, and it baffles me why it hasn't happened already. Hell, why not a 48 team playoff? Start the season in late August. Add an extra bye week for each team.

The NCAA, as usual, has no clue.
Wouldn't it be a logistic travel nightmare for fans who want to travel and see their team? Scrambling or not knowing how many nights to book? Paying premium for a refundable airfare, so you can immediately fly home, if your team loses?

I like the idea, but how do you get over the logistic travel nightmare of hotel, airfare, plains, trains and automobiles? Flexibility from work and/or vacation?

To me, it would seem like a hardship to many fans?

Wouldn't it be a logistic travel nightmare for fans who want to travel and see their team? Scrambling or not knowing how many nights to book? Paying premium for a refundable airfare, so you can immediately fly home, if your team loses?
The NCAA has proven repeatedly that they don't care about fans showing up to watch the games. They want fans to stay home and watch on TV - that maximizes the ad revenue.

The NCAA has proven repeatedly that they don't care about fans showing up to watch the games. They want fans to stay home and watch on TV - that maximizes the ad revenue.
It would be weird playing in mostly empty stadiums without fans, band, and cheer squad.

And Butch? He would stay at home. :(

I like the idea, but how do you get over the logistic travel nightmare of hotel, airfare, plains, trains and automobiles? Flexibility from work and/or vacation?

To me, it would seem like a hardship to many fans?
I think it could be offset by having the early round games be regional, and let's be honest, attendance isn't what drives the bus anymore.

Let's say the top-4 teams in the P12 and top-2 teams in the MWC qualified this year. Your matchups would look like this out West:

Utah vs. Boise State
USC vs. Fresno State
UW vs. Oregon

All of these games would sell out, as travel wouldn't be challenging at all.

32 teams means 31 games, with matchups over 5 weeks. That fits pretty well.

You play your first round the 2nd week of December. 16 games, no byes, at the home field of the higher seed.

3rd week of December you have 8 games. I lean toward these being regional sites, not home fields, but...whatever. At the end of this week you're down to 8 teams.

The playoff takes the week of Christmas off. During the next 2 weeks (this year, December 19-30) the next 32 teams play in 16 traditional bowl games. They don't mean anything in the hunt for the NC, but it gives the top half another game and fills that period with more games you can sell ads for.

New Years weekend, your playoff is back. The quarterfinal and semifinal matchups are split between the NY 6 games. Obviously, the semifinals move a week later and aren't on Jan 1. Game assignments are done semi-regionally, based on the higher seed (#1 seed WSU is matched up with #6 seed Mississippi State, they play in the Rose because it's the closest site to the higher seed. If it's #1 MSU v. #6 WSU, it's in the Sugar).

The NC game is in mid-January (this year, Jan 14-15). Site TBD every year - let sites bid on it a year or two ahead like they do for the Super Bowl.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
It would be weird playing in mostly empty stadiums without fans, band, and cheer squad.

And Butch? He would stay at home. :(
It wouldn't be weird if you weren't there. If you're watching on TV, you'd have no idea if they were just showing stock footage of cheerleaders and Butch

I lean toward these being regional sites, not home fields, but...whatever. At the end of this week you're down to 8 teams.
I agree, and it can be situational. NW games could all be played in Seahawk Stadium. Nor-Cal, Utah, etc. can be in Vegas or the 49'ers new stadium. Southern CA, Arizona can be in LA.

ADVERTISEMENT