ADVERTISEMENT

Where to go from here?

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Ill admit I wanted Rolo gone for non Covid coaching reasons stemming from the total collapses seen in the games with Utah-Utah State-SC. He and Stutz really seemed to turn the corner however over the past few games and had things jelling or at least moving in the right direction. I don’t think this was a good move football wise. Where do we go from here? Any coaches worth bringing on for continuity, or is this just a total flip at the end of the year. I hope this doesn’t set us back another couple years but that seems inevitable. There are guys like Sonny Dykes, June Jones, Graham Harrel, Seth Litrell etc. that could probably use our personnel effectively, but none seem remotely desirable.

Half our coaching staff is gone how do you possibly fill in the gaps
I guess I mean do they attempt to find a like minded coach to use our personnel orientation or just say F it. I believe Rolo was hired in part because his offense fit the guys left by Leach and set the program up for success sooner.

Ill admit I wanted Rolo gone for non Covid coaching reasons stemming from the total collapses seen in the games with Utah-Utah State-SC. He and Stutz really seemed to turn the corner however over the past few games and had things jelling or at least moving in the right direction. I don’t think this was a good move football wise. Where do we go from here? Any coaches worth bringing on for continuity, or is this just a total flip at the end of the year. I hope this doesn’t set us back another couple years but that seems inevitable. There are guys like Sonny Dykes, June Jones, Graham Harrel, Seth Litrell etc. that could probably use our personnel effectively, but none seem remotely desirable.

Are all of those guys vaccinated? Priority 1 for the hiring of young, healthy football coaches in some places. 🥴

A lot of you are putting this on Chun unfairly IMO. Rolo simply had to get the vaccine, it is something over 95% of the student population has done, I assume Rolo told Chun back in June or sooner he wasn't getting it, and that's where the trouble started, then he makes is announcement just before the pac 12 meetings and Chun ends up with egg on his face and now knows the clowns will come out, because whenever things don't go as planned at the circus, the clowns are sent out. If any of you have ever had a position of leadership in a major company or corporation, which WSU is, there are simply times you have to go with the company plan if you like it or not. If you don't go with the plan you are gone, its that simple. If you start making accommodations for one you have to make it for everyone and there goes the plan. I can assure you Chun and Shultz were under heat from State officials, and when you need them for funding your deficit, you don't have a choice, and it doesn't make it easier. Then all the negative articles about the program and WSU in the press, I can assure you someone in power was behind all the Media blitz on this. There are a lot of moving parts here, so to simply blame Chun shows a total lack of understanding of how it all works, Chun is simply doing the job he signed up for and is paid for. And as a Head coach you have many things you do as PR for the university, you don't have to embrace the roll, but you have to accept it if you want to be making 3 million a year. Following the company line and getting vaxed is part of the job, or your gone. Rolo didn't do all he signed up to do and is paid for, coaching is a major part of that job, but not all of it. Yes it has messed up this season and the program, but you can't have a coach dictating university policy. This is really the over reach by our idiot Governor and not by the WSU administration. So blame Inslee, but you can't fault the WSU administration, their job is to provide a safe environment for all the students and to fund the University. So Chun and the President simply had to cut the losses now rather than continue with the circus. The heat from the press and from Olympia was only going to get a lot hotter and financially a lot more devastating to the university.

I've always thought Chris Petersen would be a good fit in Pullman. Leaf agrees.

But I would love to keep building in the run and shoot. It's been fun watching us run the ball, delayed handoffs, and a down field passing attack.

Receivers are consistently getting open down field. Would love to see this offense thru to it's full potential.

Not to mention a D that will actually step up and make plays.

No air raid coaches please.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

But I would love to keep building in the run and shoot. It's been fun watching us run the ball, delayed handoffs, and a down field passing attack.

Receivers are consistently getting open down field. Would love to see this offense thru to it's full potential.

I mean, Chris Petersen is probably a top 5 or 10 coach in the country. He'd be a good fit anywhere. I highly, highly doubt he's coming to Pullman.

Chris Petersen would be a grand slam. But he's the kind of guy who probably will be turning down LSU this week, and who has demonstrated throughout his career that he's choosy. He turned down USC famously, too. I also recall--without knowing the particulars--that there are some health care issues one of his children has that I believe requires him to be in a decently-sized metro area with good medical care. I even believe, as disgusting as this sounds, that being a rival to UW and Jimmy Lake (one of his former assistants at two different programs) isn't something he'd want to do. Maybe he hates Jimmy and wants to put him in his place and would relish the opportunity to show the world that he can win in Pullman in a relatively low-pressure environment. But the possibility is infinitesimal.

Chris Petersen would be a grand slam. But he's the kind of guy who probably will be turning down LSU this week, and who has demonstrated throughout his career that he's choosy. He turned down USC famously, too. I also recall--without knowing the particulars--that there are some health care issues one of his children has that I believe requires him to be in a decently-sized metro area with good medical care. I even believe, as disgusting as this sounds, that being a rival to UW and Jimmy Lake (one of his former assistants at two different programs) isn't something he'd want to do. Maybe he hates Jimmy and wants to put him in his place and would relish the opportunity to show the world that he can win in Pullman in a relatively low-pressure environment. But the possibility is infinitesimal.
Dip !

I mean, Chris Petersen is probably a top 5 or 10 coach in the country. He'd be a good fit anywhere. I highly, highly doubt he's coming to Pullman.
I think he likes the smaller school feel.

I think Pullman would be the perfect place for him to finish out his career

3 million plus reasons ? ?

Pull your head out ... a debt of 100 + million and the worthless AD is gonna just pile on more debt ?

The program is ****ed and you can thank Inslee and his two Mini Me's at WSU for this !
How is he “piling on” more debt? He isn’t paying Rolo … or at least yet.

I don’t like the air raid at the college level. High school or NFL? Fine. But not for college.

I see the ball being distributed too much. RBs dont get enough carries to be featured, WRs dont get enough touches to be featured… I think that shows up in recruiting. Kids see the volume of touches and pass… no chance for ego to run the ball 25 times or catch the ball a dozen times.

I appreciate the offense. I think it would work great with a run game. I just think it works better when a coach has access to talent that has to play there because his parents live there or was drafted without a choice.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
I don’t like the air raid at the college level. High school or NFL? Fine. But not for college.

I see the ball being distributed too much. RBs dont get enough carries to be featured, WRs dont get enough touches to be featured… I think that shows up in recruiting. Kids see the volume of touches and pass… no chance for ego to run the ball 25 times or catch the ball a dozen times.

I appreciate the offense. I think it would work great with a run game. I just think it works better when a coach has access to talent that has to play there because his parents live there or was drafted without a choice.

I agree.

Then there is the fact the pretty much every Air Raid coach is like "Defense? Whats that sh!t?"

Reactions: Coug90
I agree.

Then there is the fact the pretty much every Air Raid coach is like "Defense? Whats that sh!t?"

I like the 33 that Leach is running at MSU. I think that’s a good fit.

The air raid is qb centric. If your qb is having a good night, it’ll be a great game. If he is off, it’s prob not gonna work out. The scheme, or Leach, won’t lean on the RB if the qb is struggling. The WRs won’t ever get going cause 10 diff guys caught 3 passes each… I like the offense, I just don’t like how you can’t/won’t/don’t feature any kid other than the qb. I think it shows in recruiting too. Big time RBs with 4 and 5 stars after their name want their carries.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
I think the air raid is perfect for rebuilding challenging programs back to relevance, and Leach is exceptional at that. Leverage your QB expertise, find and train a bunch of pass blocking offensive linemen, and recruit 3-star depth at WR and RB. That’s something Leach can replicate at most programs.

I still prefer balanced attacks and good defense, myself. I like QBs like JDL who keep defenses honest. I think they help the running game by being a mobile threat themselves. I’ll trade completion percentage for a run/pass threat and home run potential. On defense, i like pressure. I’d rather give up an occasional big play than die on the vine by getting picked apart or pounded between the tackles.

I think the air raid is perfect for rebuilding challenging programs back to relevance, and Leach is exceptional at that. Leverage your QB expertise, find and train a bunch of pass blocking offensive linemen, and recruit 3-star depth at WR and RB. That’s something Leach can replicate at most programs.

I still prefer balanced attacks and good defense, myself. I like QBs like JDL who keep defenses honest. I think they help the running game by being a mobile threat themselves. I’ll trade completion percentage for a run/pass threat and home run potential. On defense, i like pressure. I’d rather give up an occasional big play than die on the vine by getting picked apart or pounded between the tackles.
I miss the Mike Price type of teams we saw thrive in 97 and 01-02. I'd like to return to more of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT