ADVERTISEMENT

Which Gage Gubrud are we looking at ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
the one who was 14 of 36 for 231 yards, 3 TDs and three picks (20 yards on 9 carries) v. the WSU defense last season, or the guy with Cooper Kupp v. a depleted and young WSU secondary in 2016 (34 of 40 for 474 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT, 77 yards on 14 carries)?

Reactions: Cougzz
That simply solves the Claeys v. Grinch argument.

How would Claeys have done without Luani and Robert Taylor, and with Jalen Thompson as a frosh against a future NFL WR? Don't get me wrong. I prefer Claeys to Grinch, but WSU's defense improved with Luani's and Taylor's return.

How would Claeys have done without Luani and Robert Taylor, and with Jalen Thompson as a frosh against a future NFL WR? Don't get me wrong. I prefer Claeys to Grinch, but WSU's defense improved with Luani's and Taylor's return.

I don't think Claeys would have his defense in complete disarray. Players were given the wrong wristbands. Substitutions were in chaos. Grinch had a lot to learn about being the guy on Game day, things Claeys had figured out over a long career.

etown is right. Experience has value. Those who can learn from their mistakes learn judgement. Grinch was pretty green (still is, for that matter; he will make mistakes and probably learn from them next season). Claeys has been there, done that, and has the tee shirt.

etown is right. Experience has value. Those who can learn from their mistakes learn judgement. Grinch was pretty green (still is, for that matter; he will make mistakes and probably learn from them next season). Claeys has been there, done that, and has the tee shirt.

"he will make mistakes and probably learn from them next season"

He will not have that luxury next season. The first time he has a clunker game like EWU or Arizona and his seat will be red hot at OU. Their fans tolerated Mike Stoops because of his name , they will not be as tolerant of Grinch missteps

Grinch will be on Chris Ball's staff in 3 years.
"he will make mistakes and probably learn from them next season"

He will not have that luxury next season. The first time he has a clunker game like EWU or Arizona and his seat will be red hot at OU. Their fans tolerated Mike Stoops because of his name , they will not be as tolerant of Grinch missteps

I'm not sure. Okie fans were kind of used to not having a defense this past season.

To hell with that, Grinch proved he didn't have a clue who Kupp was that entire game. There is literally zero reason EWU should have even have been close that day.

Kendrick bourne (who has been solid with San Fran), kupp and Shaq Hill were a pretty stellar wr core. Last time we had a pro WR actually stick at WR in the NFL and not just be a special teams contributor was when?? Eagles had 2 in that year. Gubrud would be solid in the air raid. He would have to speed up his delivery a bit on screens, but his running ability would be a huge plus. We Could actually run zone read with him cause of his size and speed.

He did throw for over 5,000 yards which is impressive. Last year w/o kupp and bourne he did great too.

Also, don't forget, they had a change in head coaches.Best runs the ball WAY more than Baldwin ever did. The offense was quite a bit different in 2018 than it was in 2016.

Also, don't forget, they had a change in head coaches.Best runs the ball WAY more than Baldwin ever did. The offense was quite a bit different in 2018 than it was in 2016.

And speaking of Baldwin, I’m surprised Cal’s not in the hunt for Gubrud with the Baldwin connection and their lack of an adequate QB.

And speaking of Baldwin, I’m surprised Cal’s not in the hunt for Gubrud with the Baldwin connection and their lack of an adequate QB.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to speculate Minshew likely had/is having a pretty good time with the girls in Pullman. Mustache rides (consensual) and such.

You've seen the tree-hugging, hairy armpit girls in Berkeley, right?

ADVERTISEMENT