ADVERTISEMENT

Who has a better year next year...

I think we just got a glimpse this year of what’s ahead for the O. It’s just sort of what’s happening

Gubard or Eason. Assuming both are starters next year.

I’ll put it this way, whoever the WSU QB will be, you won’t be able to even compare the numbers. In fact, I predict Eason will either get hurt, or replaced for performance reasons. He’s a 6’ 6” statue that is prone to making mistakes. Georgia Coaches didn’t believe he was improving throughout his first year. Blamed it on a lack of competition at the QB spot. Here is a nice article written before Eason left, after his freshman year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfrecruit...rings-much-needed-competition-for-jacob-eason

I’ll put it this way, whoever the WSU QB will be, you won’t be able to even compare the numbers. In fact, I predict Eason will either get hurt, or replaced for performance reasons. He’s a 6’ 6” statue that is prone to making mistakes. Georgia Coaches didn’t believe he was improving throughout his first year. Blamed it on a lack of competition at the QB spot. Here is a nice article written before Eason left, after his freshman year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfrecruit...rings-much-needed-competition-for-jacob-eason
Interesting question I’d say there’s a chance that neither one of them starts. Assuming they both start GG puts up way better numbers than Eason, and wins more games which is what really matters. I don’t happen to think Eason will be an upgrade from Browning, UW fans thinking that wishfully. He got beat out by a guy who’s probably the 4th or 5th best QB in the SEC.

Reactions: random soul
Gubrud. In fact, I predict that Gubrud will break Minshew's record if Borghi can stay up right. Eason has all the tools, but his accuracy will hurt him. Plus if you have Leach as an OC compared to Bush Hamdan.....that makes a huge difference.

Interesting question I’d say there’s a chance that neither one of them starts. Assuming they both start GG puts up way better numbers than Eason, and wins more games which is what really matters. I don’t happen to think Eason will be an upgrade from Browning, UW fans thinking that wishfully. He got beat out by a guy who’s probably the 4th or 5th best QB in the SEC.
To be fair, Eason hurt his knee and then Fromm never gave the coaches the opportunity to give the starting role back to him. Maybe he won’t pan out, but I can say if we had a freshman QB go 8-5 with a bowl win, we’d be pretty high on him.

When Aikman lost his starting job at OU due to an injury and the replacement won the Natty, Aikman was not going to get his job back, regardless of how good a QB Troy was. We don't know how Eason will work out. Fromm will be the best QB in the SEC in his 3rd year and then go pro. The earlier post that suggested that he was 4th or 5th best in the SEC (this year) may have been close. Eason will also continue to improve. Lil' Pete is not a bad offensive/QB coach if history is a judge. My guess is that Eason will have as good a year as his supporting cast can bring him. He is probably as good as Browning was at the same experience level, but he won't have Browning's supporting cast. Ergo, I see UW doing OK but not great next year. Maybe 2nd, maybe 3rd in the north.

As for Gubrud (I guess we need to learn to spell his name), his strengths are known. All that remains to be seen is how he holds up to the PAC on a weekly basis. I suspect that he will do fine. We have a lot of returning starters and an incoming D line that is probably better than last year. If we are treated as well from an injury standpoint as we were last year, we have a legit shot at 10 wins. And 10 wins will be either 1st or 2nd in the north.

Cal, Stanford and Oregon are all wild cards. I expect that at least one of those teams will challenge for the north title. And all three of those teams will have a lot to say about both Eason and Gubrud's season.

To be fair, Eason hurt his knee and then Fromm never gave the coaches the opportunity to give the starting role back to him. Maybe he won’t pan out, but I can say if we had a freshman QB go 8-5 with a bowl win, we’d be pretty high on him.

I don’t want a freshman QB. I ‘expect’ 10+ wins.... it’s not your daddy’s Wazzu.

See the article I posted above. The coaches were concerned with his development, or lack there of, during his freshman year. They had concerns and it was easy for Fromm to be an upgrade. Eason is a stiff and not the messiah UW fans are counting on. It’s going to be fun watching that disaster.

See the article I posted above. The coaches were concerned with his development, or lack there of, during his freshman year. They had concerns and it was easy for Fromm to be an upgrade. Eason is a stiff and not the messiah UW fans are counting on. It’s going to be fun watching that disaster.
Can you honestly say you’d be crapping on him the same if he’d transferred to us instead of poo dub? Also, have you ever seen a QB improve after getting a few years to figure out the game? I guess if Eason is such a flop as a starting true frosh, what does that say about our QBs that can’t get in the game as upperclassmen?

Can you honestly say you’d be crapping on him the same if he’d transferred to us instead of poo dub? Also, have you ever seen a QB improve after getting a few years to figure out the game? I guess if Eason is such a flop as a starting true frosh, what does that say about our QBs that can’t get in the game as upperclassmen?

Nope, he’d do better in our system. He’d also develop much better under Leach. Petersen hasn’t developed a QB ever. Browning declined each year after 2016. Went from a Heisman candidate to someone that propbaby won’t get drafted. I’ve watched the kid in HS live. He’s got a great arm, but he’s a pocket passer, a stiff in the pocket. Those runs that Browning used to hit us with won’t be repeated with Eason.

This thread is based on the possibly incorrect assumption that Gubrud is the starter. Spring ball should be an eye-opener for fans of both teams as I’m not positive that Eason starts, either.

Reactions: random soul
Nope, he’d do better in our system. He’d also develop much better under Leach. Petersen hasn’t developed a QB ever. Browning declined each year after 2016. Went from a Heisman candidate to someone that propbaby won’t get drafted. I’ve watched the kid in HS live. He’s got a great arm, but he’s a pocket passer, a stiff in the pocket. Those runs that Browning used to hit us with won’t be repeated with Eason.
So CP developed Browning into a 1st team P12 and Offensive POY before undeveloping him after 2016? Regardless, CP sure has had a lot of success having never had a developed QB.

Maybe Eason fails, maybe he doesn’t, but I bet you most—if not every—P5 school would have offered him a scholarship when he left UGA had he shown interest, which leads me to think he has a lot more potential than you give him credit for.

Reactions: Cougzz
So CP developed Browning into a 1st team P12 and Offensive POY before undeveloping him after 2016? Regardless, CP sure has had a lot of success having never had a developed QB.

Maybe Eason fails, maybe he doesn’t, but I bet you most—if not every—P5 school would have offered him a scholarship when he left UGA had he shown interest, which leads me to think he has a lot more potential than you give him credit for.

Same guys who hyped Eason, hyped Heaps, Browne, Lindquist, Sirmon, Yankoff. I believe Yankoff has the most upside. It was odd that Haener came off the bench last year..... all these hyped Washington QB’s are coming straight out of the old Scout d-bags in Seattle. In fact, both Brown and Heaps were always thought to go UW, they were crowned as children.... only to fail miserably in D-1 football. Let’s hope that I’m right About Eason.

When Aikman lost his starting job at OU due to an injury and the replacement won the Natty, Aikman was not going to get his job back, regardless of how good a QB Troy was. We don't know how Eason will work out. Fromm will be the best QB in the SEC in his 3rd year and then go pro. The earlier post that suggested that he was 4th or 5th best in the SEC (this year) may have been close. Eason will also continue to improve. Lil' Pete is not a bad offensive/QB coach if history is a judge. My guess is that Eason will have as good a year as his supporting cast can bring him. He is probably as good as Browning was at the same experience level, but he won't have Browning's supporting cast. Ergo, I see UW doing OK but not great next year. Maybe 2nd, maybe 3rd in the north.

As for Gubrud (I guess we need to learn to spell his name), his strengths are known. All that remains to be seen is how he holds up to the PAC on a weekly basis. I suspect that he will do fine. We have a lot of returning starters and an incoming D line that is probably better than last year. If we are treated as well from an injury standpoint as we were last year, we have a legit shot at 10 wins. And 10 wins will be either 1st or 2nd in the north.

Cal, Stanford and Oregon are all wild cards. I expect that at least one of those teams will challenge for the north title. And all three of those teams will have a lot to say about both Eason and Gubrud's season.
I'm starting to think that Harsin is the reason for BSU's good run of QBs, from Zabransky forward, but it'll take another couple QBs out of UW before I can really say that for sure.

Gubrud. In fact, I predict that Gubrud will break Minshew's record if Borghi can stay up right. Eason has all the tools, but his accuracy will hurt him. Plus if you have Leach as an OC compared to Bush Hamdan.....that makes a huge difference.
I don’t think Gubrud breaks Minshew’s passing record. He’ll run more himself, and he’ll be handicapped by not having Williams out of the backfield. Borghi is good, but he’s a sophomore, and he can’t play every down.

Gubrud may or may not be almost as good as Minshew.

But he is way better then the NEGACOUGS saying that Gubrud not very good, that because of that, they would like to see Gubrud on the bench, etc.

I think its reasonable, rational, logical to project about 9, 10, 9.5 wins for Gubrud, if he starts, with 8 wins at minimum, and 11 wins at maximum.

Just not bloody dam likely that Gubrud would only win 7 or less games, or win more then 11+ games, if he starts.

And its bloody dam likely that Gubrud does start.

That said not going to say its impossible he doesnt start.

Maybe Gubrud bringing the increased, better competition, will, would push Tinsley to maybe win, be the starter, win 9 games, instead of 7,8 games, the same kind of way that Minshew pushed Tinsley into pushing Minshew.

Either way, like someone else said, this is a no lose, win, win situation for WSU.

Either Gubrud wins being the starter, wins 9,10, 9.5 games

Or

Tinsley/Gordon SURPRISE, win being the starter, win 8,9, 8.5 wins

AND Cooper is pushed into pushing everyone else, learns more, develops more, then probably starts next year as a Redshirt Sophmore for 2,3 years, probably wins 7, 8, 9 games next year, then 8,9,10 win after that the next year, , then 9,10, 11 wins after that the next year.

That, this is certainly better then Gubrud going to Utah, becoming the starting QB at Utah

AND

Tinsley winning 7,8 games, as the likely starter, if no Gubrud.

Or Gordon only winning 6,7 games as the starter, if no Gubrud

Or Cooper only winning 5,6 games as the starter, if no Gubrud.

Even if Gubrud were to be on bench, not be starter, that's at least still better then having to play against Gubrud as the starting QB at Utah.

WSU already lost once to Gubrud at EWU, WSU does not need to lose again to Gubrud at UTAH.

Either way, Anyway look at it, IT IS A GOOD THING GUBRUD IS COMING TO WSU.

AND ITS TIME FOR THE COUPLE, FEW, SOME NEGACOUGS TO REALIZE THAT AND STOP BEING A NEGACOUG AND STOP THINKING GUBRUD IS SUPPOSEDLY BAD, NOT GOOD, AND STOP HOPING TO SEE GUBRUD ON THE BENCH.

NOT GONNA SAY WHO.

I COULD DO THAT

BUT YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

AND THE REST OF US COUG FANS KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

JUST STOP.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, it depends on how you measure "better year". Any Leach coached QB is going to have bigger numbers than a Peterson coached QB. Statistically, Gubrud (assuming he starts) is going to have the better year. In terms of wins, I'm expecting WSU to have more wins than UW overall, but Peterson's teams generally win 10+ games (it's happened 10 out of 14 years). However, this year does feel like one of those 7-8 win seasons for UW. I don't expect that Leach brought in Gubrud if he didn't think he was better and more prepared to lead the team than the rest of our QB's and I'll be shocked if he doesn't start. I like our chances at 9+ wins, but we lost sixr starters from our defense. There might be some addition by subtraction, and I like the new guys we brought in, but our pass defense was sketchy at times and that could be the determining factor for 2019. I feel pretty good about it overall, but I'm a little nervous.

We may end up needing our offense to run a little track this year.

Gubrud may or may not be almost as good as Minshew.

But he is way better then the NEGACOUGS saying that Gubrud not very good, that because of that, they would like to see Gubrud on the bench, etc.

I think its reasonable, rational, logical to project about 9, 10, 9.5 wins for Gubrud, if he starts, with 8 wins at minimum, and 11 wins at maximum.

Just not bloody dam likely that Gubrud would only win 7 or less games, or win more then 11+ games, if he starts.

And its bloody dam likely that Gubrud does start.

That said not going to say its impossible he doesnt start.

Maybe Gubrud bringing the increased, better competition, will, would push Tinsley to maybe win, be the starter, win 9 games, instead of 7,8 games, the same kind of way that Minshew pushed Tinsley into pushing Minshew.

Either way, like someone else said, this is a no lose, win, win situation for WSU.

Either Gubrud wins being the starter, wins 9,10, 9.5 games

Or

Tinsley/Gordon SURPRISE, win being the starter, win 8,9, 8.5 wins

AND Cooper is pushed into pushing everyone else, learns more, develops more, then probably starts next year as a Redshirt Sophmore for 2,3 years, probably wins 7, 8, 9 games next year, then 8,9,10 win after that the next year, , then 9,10, 11 wins after that the next year.

That, this is certainly better then Gubrud going to Utah, becoming the starting QB at Utah

AND

Tinsley winning 7,8 games, as the likely starter, if no Gubrud.

Or Gordon only winning 6,7 games as the starter, if no Gubrud

Or Cooper only winning 5,6 games as the starter, if no Gubrud.

Even if Gubrud were to be on bench, not be starter, that's at least still better then having to play against Gubrud as the starting QB at Utah.

WSU already lost once to Gubrud at EWU, WSU does not need to lose again to Gubrud at UTAH.

Either way, Anyway look at it, IT IS A GOOD THING GUBRUD IS COMING TO WSU.

AND ITS TIME FOR THE COUPLE, FEW, SOME NEGACOUGS TO REALIZE THAT AND STOP BEING A NEGACOUG AND STOP THINKING GUBRUD IS SUPPOSEDLY BAD, NOT GOOD, AND STOP HOPING TO SEE GUBRUD ON THE BENCH.

NOT GONNA SAY WHO.

I COULD DO THAT

BUT YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

AND THE REST OF US COUG FANS KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

JUST STOP.

You're not going to say who? Jesus Christ....are you in 8th grade?

FWIW, you've been here for about ten seconds and your grammar, logic and ability to be brief are all lacking what we expect from a college graduate. Quit trying to be clever.

And for the record, I've never said anything about Gubrud himself. So don't try perpetuating myths with me involved, you all caps typing moron..

Same guys who hyped Eason, hyped Heaps, Browne, Lindquist, Sirmon, Yankoff. I believe Yankoff has the most upside. It was odd that Haener came off the bench last year..... all these hyped Washington QB’s are coming straight out of the old Scout d-bags in Seattle. In fact, both Brown and Heaps were always thought to go UW, they were crowned as children.... only to fail miserably in D-1 football. Let’s hope that I’m right About Eason.

In defense of Browne, was he coached worth a shit in college??

As mentioned above, it depends on how you measure "better year". Any Leach coached QB is going to have bigger numbers than a Peterson coached QB. Statistically, Gubrud (assuming he starts) is going to have the better year. In terms of wins, I'm expecting WSU to have more wins than UW overall, but Peterson's teams generally win 10+ games (it's happened 10 out of 14 years). However, this year does feel like one of those 7-8 win seasons for UW. I don't expect that Leach brought in Gubrud if he didn't think he was better and more prepared to lead the team than the rest of our QB's and I'll be shocked if he doesn't start. I like our chances at 9+ wins, but we lost sixr starters from our defense. There might be some addition by subtraction, and I like the new guys we brought in, but our pass defense was sketchy at times and that could be the determining factor for 2019. I feel pretty good about it overall, but I'm a little nervous.

We may end up needing our offense to run a little track this year.

As I sit her snowed in, I agree with most of what you write. I do find it interesting that so far, the best team that Petersen has had at the uw was largely recruited by Sarkisian. While he has had a great deal of success the last two years, they have not been as good.

They were fortunate that Eason fell into their laps or they would really be in trouble this season.

Also, I think that the Cougars are losing only five starters on defense because Sean Harper would have been the sixth, but he missed the majority of the season. Strong, Thompson, Thomas, Woods, Silvels, and Rodgers are the six returning starters.

Too many of these Washington Scout hyped QB’s are failing. Is it coaching, or something else? Jake Heaps (#1 QB overall) failed at 3 schools. Max Browne (#1 overall) failed at USC, was horrible. Interesting that both these players came from the same HS consecutively. Harder for that to happen than winning the lottery 5 weeks in a row..... I also can’t see USC not having good position coaches. Do they fail to harness the premadona mental weakness of their players? Absolutely! But they didn’t forget how to coach.

Last edited:
As I sit her snowed in, I agree with most of what you write. I do find it interesting that so far, the best team that Petersen has had at the uw was largely recruited by Sarkisian. While he has had a great deal of success the last two years, they have not been as good.

They were fortunate that Eason fell into their laps or they would really be in trouble this season.

Also, I think that the Cougars are losing only five starters on defense because Sean Harper would have been the sixth, but he missed the majority of the season. Strong, Thompson, Thomas, Woods, Silvels, and Rodgers are the six returning starters.

And we can only assume that McDougal would have been a starter, if eligible. So we have 7 starters coming back coupled with a strong CB class coming in.

Both Cody Kessler and Sam Darnold are in the NFL. Browne has had numerous chances to take the reins and run. Instead, he was replaced as the starter twice at USC and once at Pittsburgh. Sometimes it is the player, not the coaching.

Too many of these Washington Scout hyped QB’s are failing. Is it coaching, or something else? Jake Heaps (#1 QB overall) failed at 3 schools. Max Browne (#1 overall) failed at USC, was horrible. Interesting that both these players came from the same HS consecutively. Harder for that to happen than winning the lottery 5 weeks in a row..... I also can’t see USC not having good position coaches. Do they fail to harness the premadona mental weakness of their players? Absolutely! But they didn’t forget how to coach.

SC has a terrible head coach. I can totally see them having a terrible QB coach.

Heaps prob transferred too many times. That hurts you.

Mat Taylor is an excellent football coach who learned under an even better coach an assistant.

NW kids need to stay in the NW!!!! There is no way Helton benches a QB from Mission Viejo HS for a kid from out of state. Both of those young men wouldve done well at either WSU or uw. Keep our boys at home and in the Apple Cup.

Both Cody Kessler and Sam Darnold are in the NFL. Browne has had numerous chances to take the reins and run. Instead, he was replaced as the starter twice at USC and once at Pittsburgh. Sometimes it is the player, not the coaching.

Im not going to argue with you. It isnt a long list of QBs that can transfer and make it go. It takes a special situation and a special QB.

Im not going to argue with you. It isnt a long list of QBs that can transfer and make it go. It takes a special situation and a special QB.
I do agree with your post above that all these Washington QB's would have had a greater chance of success if they had stayed home and played for either the uw or WSU, especially at WSU under Leach.

Certain hs systems just have a huge advantage over others based on better Offensive lineman, wrs and running backs. Heaps and Browne put up tons of wins and stats partially because the system they ran, but also their talent level was much better than the other schools. Same thing with Tyler Bruggman when he played at Brophy Prep. I'm hoping this isn't the case with Cammon Cooper.

The guys on defense that we have coming in (or coming back after injury) is why I'm still thinking 9+ wins is a realistic hope.
I wonder if Derek Moore ever sees the field again? He has missed the last year and a half with injury, but is still listed on the wsucougars.com website.

I don’t want to put Browne down for having been overhyped, cuz he didn’t do that. Others did.

I saw Max Browne play in high school. He was a good HS quarterback on a loaded team. Very much like Browning was a good college quarterback on a loaded 2016 team. I never could figure out why Browne was the “can’t miss” prospect on that team though.

Scouting is a very inexact science.

Certain hs systems just have a huge advantage over others based on better Offensive lineman, wrs and running backs. Heaps and Browne put up tons of wins and stats partially because the system they ran, but also their talent level was much better than the other schools. Same thing with Tyler Bruggman when he played at Brophy Prep. I'm hoping this isn't the case with Cammon Cooper.

What does “system” mean? A coach was smart enough to see what his QB does well and then do that???? Wouldnt that make the college coach dumb for not doing the same thing???

Imagine showing up for your new job.... you know what youre good at, the boss knows what youre good at.... but youre directed to do what youre not good at and everyone knows it. Then when youre fired... youre fired for being bad at what youre bad at. You walk out of the room wondering why you were asked not to play to your strengths when everyone knew what they were. Prob pretty frustrating.

That’s playing QB for most QBs.

Reactions: Coug1990 and HHusky
I don’t want to put Browne down for having been overhyped, cuz he didn’t do that. Others did.

I saw Max Browne play in high school. He was a good HS quarterback on a loaded team. Very much like Browning was a good college quarterback on a loaded 2016 team. I never could figure out why Browne was the “can’t miss” prospect on that team though.

Scouting is a very inexact science.
. Or maybe there is something more scinister with the People doing the hype/scouting?

The guys on defense that we have coming in (or coming back after injury) is why I'm still thinking 9+ wins is a realistic hope.

And we have a favorable early schedule to break in a new QB and plug holes on D.

What does “system” mean? A coach was smart enough to see what his QB does well and then do that???? Wouldnt that make the college coach dumb for not doing the same thing???

Imagine showing up for your new job.... you know what youre good at, the boss knows what youre good at.... but youre directed to do what youre not good at and everyone knows it. Then when youre fired... youre fired for being bad at what youre bad at. You walk out of the room wondering why you were asked not to play to your strengths when everyone knew what they were. Prob pretty frustrating.

That’s playing QB for most QBs.

We should have Rypien running the veer....

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT