ADVERTISEMENT

Why take high school players?

BiggsCoug

Hall Of Fame
Feb 5, 2003
I’m looking at this now… Kids can take 1 free transfer without losing eligibility. If you sign high school kids and they don’t play, they can leave. If they play well, you better have some NIL $$$ for them or they leave.

If you take all portal kids and they want to transfer again, it costs them eligibility.

I believe WSU is a development school. They get solid high school players, coach them up, develop them, get them on the field. What helps WSU is having vets that have opened up the playbook and can do more things on the field.

What do you do when that goes away? What do you do when you watch your best kids leave? Especially when they are early starters… those are the cornerstone pieces of your program. Gone in a flash.

I wouldn’t blame Coach Jake if he took all transfers to protect the program from poaching. Make the kids take a hit to their eligibility if they leave. Same for other P5 schools and especially for G5, FCS, etc.

I read yesterday there were 3,000 kids in the portal. Holy smokes.

That’s why we have a director of transfer recruiting. It will be a mix from here on out.

I’m looking at this now… Kids can take 1 free transfer without losing eligibility. If you sign high school kids and they don’t play, they can leave. If they play well, you better have some NIL $$$ for them or they leave.

If you take all portal kids and they want to transfer again, it costs them eligibility.

I believe WSU is a development school. They get solid high school players, coach them up, develop them, get them on the field. What helps WSU is having vets that have opened up the playbook and can do more things on the field.

What do you do when that goes away? What do you do when you watch your best kids leave? Especially when they are early starters… those are the cornerstone pieces of your program. Gone in a flash.

I wouldn’t blame Coach Jake if he took all transfers to protect the program from poaching. Make the kids take a hit to their eligibility if they leave. Same for other P5 schools and especially for G5, FCS, etc.

I thought I read from you or someone else that there was a cap on how many portal players you could take in a year. Maybe I’m remembering that wrong?

With no cap, you might be correct. Certainly has to be a big part of your strategy.

I thought I read from you or someone else that there was a cap on how many portal players you could take in a year. Maybe I’m remembering that wrong?

With no cap, you might be correct. Certainly has to be a big part of your strategy.

The NCAA says you can take 7 transfer players in addition to the usual limit of 25 players in a class.

Reactions: Coug1990 and SDCoug
That’s why we have a director of transfer recruiting. It will be a mix from here on out.

Why have a mix? Why fly all over the nation to high schools? Why spend years on the phone? Why spend all this time and money for years on end trying to land high school kids? Why spend time away from your family? Why would you be a grown man calling and texting and tweeting kids and their families?

Kids enter the portal, they have to get their scholarship before someone else does, sense of urgency, low investment of time and resources…

Is the total number of scholarships still 85, or did that get raised with the transfer portal? Can you add transfers for those lost in the portal? Does any limit mean much when you can just give NIL money to carry more players?

Hard to say what the best approach is. If you can only take 7 transfers, you have to add more bodies with NIL money for free agents, or gamble on high school players.

I think this will absolutely be the case, particularly at key positions. WSU won’t ever have blue blood money, but we’ll get in the game and be able to strategically offer $$ to highly regarded transfer QBs, RB, and DL.

Is the total number of scholarships still 85, or did that get raised with the transfer portal? Can you add transfers for those lost in the portal? Does any limit mean much when you can just give NIL money to carry more players?

Hard to say what the best approach is. If you can only take 7 transfers, you have to add more bodies with NIL money for free agents, or gamble on high school players.

You can have more then 7 transfers.

Its just that you can have a limit of 7 additional transfers to your class of 25.

So you could have a class of 25 transfers, then a limit of 7 more transfers for 32 total transfers.

The class of 25 can be any mix whether 25 HS, or 25 transfers, or 12/13 transfers and HS.

So could take 32 transfers.

As a discussion topic where we might net out with WSU focusing on transfers more than some other schools, this is interesting.

Its just that you can have a limit of 7 additional transfers to your class of 25.

So you could have a class of 25 transfers, then a limit of 7 more transfers for 32 total transfers.

The class of 25 can be any mix whether 25 HS, or 25 transfers, or 12/13 transfers and HS.

That was my question. So you can sign up to 32, just no more than 25 high school kids? So if we signed 24 high school kids, we could sign 8 transfers?

It also makes sense to focus a little more on NW kids if you are going to recruit HS kids. If they pan out, they are probably less likely to transfer if Mom and Dad can easily watch them play. The Texas kid who was under recruited but blossoms at WSU is more likely to bolt after some success.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
It also makes sense to focus a little more on NW kids if you are going to recruit HS kids. If they pan out, they are probably less likely to transfer if Mom and Dad can easily watch them play. The Texas kid who was under recruited but blossoms at WSU is more likely to bolt after some success.

Agree. Kids in Texas could use the opportunity to go back to Texas. It could get competitive though. There only so many spots. Unless the NIL deals are big. Why would you pay a kid $1,000,000 and then give him a scholarship on top of that? He can pay his own way now.

I don’t have issues with kids transferring. I have issues with tampering and enticing kids. I think that needs to be above board. I wouldn’t be surprised to see schools offer longer term scholarships. Instead of 1 year that is renewable, it could be varying years with their only out being opting early for the NFL. Schools will need to get creative.

This is a free market now. The NFL has free agency but teams don’t get to make offers while a player is under contract. The players can have multiple year deals so teams aren’t watching their players leave after a season.

If your program is full of 1 year deals and other programs can make offers behind the scenes, we will see teams built for 1 year at a time. Who knows what that will bring.

Then it gets a little trickier when they can count transfers against the 2021' season? Anyone do the math from this last year?

Agree. Kids in Texas could use the opportunity to go back to Texas. It could get competitive though. There only so many spots. Unless the NIL deals are big. Why would you pay a kid $1,000,000 and then give him a scholarship on top of that? He can pay his own way now.

I don’t have issues with kids transferring. I have issues with tampering and enticing kids. I think that needs to be above board. I wouldn’t be surprised to see schools offer longer term scholarships. Instead of 1 year that is renewable, it could be varying years with their only out being opting early for the NFL. Schools will need to get creative.

This is a free market now. The NFL has free agency but teams don’t get to make offers while a player is under contract. The players can have multiple year deals so teams aren’t watching their players leave after a season.

If your program is full of 1 year deals and other programs can make offers behind the scenes, we will see teams built for 1 year at a time. Who knows what that will bring.
I just posted some kind of lengthy thoughts on the current landscape of college football and how it impacts programs like WSU. I like some of your creative ideas and WSU will definitely have to get Mike Price creative when it comes to recruiting and getting kids to campus.

I just posted some kind of lengthy thoughts on the current landscape of college football and how it impacts programs like WSU. I like some of your creative ideas and WSU will definitely have to get Mike Price creative when it comes to recruiting and getting kids to campus.
I think we need to tap the brakes and shed the PTSD mindset We can make the the portal work out for us...we already have. The sky isn't falling, C. Ward will sign with us on Monday and provide some much needed momentum/stability. Dickert has built a strong staff; the elf is a stud and will be here for the next 3-4 years. Step away from the ledge, knock back some bourbon, drink a white claw, sniff some glue do whatever you need to do to come to grips that being a Coug is not for the faint of heart and TBT....we wouldn't have it any other way.

I think we need to tap the brakes and shed the PTSD mindset We can make the the portal work out for us...we already have. The sky isn't falling, C. Ward will sign with us on Monday and provide some much needed momentum/stability. Dickert has built a strong staff; the elf is a stud and will be here for the next 3-4 years. Step away from the ledge, knock back some bourbon, drink a white claw, sniff some glue do whatever you need to do to come to grips that being a Coug is not for the faint of heart and TBT....we wouldn't have it any other way.
In my other thread I acknowledged we may have really lucked out timing wise to just happened to have hired the former coach of the #1 FCS QB in the country. That said, you can't trade FBS starters for FCS ones consistently and expect it to turn out. Also, can't really expect a coach like Morris to stick around for 4 years if he's as successful as we hope he is. There's just too much coaching turnover now. The OC gig at Texas Tech, or Texas or Oklahoma will come open at some point and he'll probably be on the list for those schools.

In light of the JdL news, I may have picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue. That's all I have to say about that.

In light of the JdL news, I may have picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue. That's all I have to say about that.

I mean, give it a few more good huffs before you switch to something else. Really stick your face in their good and breathe fuc$ing deep.

No. You can sign all transfers if you want. Kansas State has done that many many years.
You misunderstood me, and who I was responding to

I said you could sign up to 32 transfers. That you could sign Class of 25, which can be any mix of transfers, and HS, plus 7 additional transfers.

Fab then responded that what I said means that can take 24 HS, 8 transfers, and that could take 32 transfers, that limited to 25 high school, and that because of that, if wanted to take 24 HS, you could take 8 transfers, because you took 1 transfer in class of 25, and can take 7 additional transfers.

I then rightly responded with yes to that.

You can take any mix of transfers, or all transfers, as long as you don't take more then 32 transfers, or more then 25 High schoolers.

You misunderstood me, and who I was responding to

I said you could sign up to 32 transfers. That you could sign Class of 25, which can be any mix of transfers, and HS, plus 7 additional transfers.

Fab then responded that what I said means that can take 24 HS, 8 transfers, and that could take 32 transfers, that limited to 25 high school, and that because of that, if wanted to take 24 HS, you could take 8 transfers, because you took 1 transfer in class of 25, and can take 7 additional transfers.

I then rightly responded with yes to that.

You can take any mix of transfers, or all transfers, as long as you don't take more then 32 transfers, or more then 25 High schoolers.

No.

So the most transfers you can take is 7? Regardless of how many high schoolers you take?

No. You can take all transfers if you want. This year the NCAA is allowing 7 transfers over the normal limit of 25 players. Those 25 players could be anyone you want.

So the most transfers you can take is 7? Regardless of how many high schoolers you take?

No that is false. It's Class of 25 whether that's 25 HS or 25 Transfers, or 13 of one 12 of other or any mix equaling 25 plus 7 more transfers.

Sounds like this year you can take an extra seven from portal, but after that you are still capped at 25. ThAts my read on the distinction at least.

Yep that's right, this year. So far that's this year, coming recruiting cycle. They might or might not do that again. I don't know if they will do it again. But this year is a test year, and so maybe they will do it again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT