ADVERTISEMENT

Why would Oregon want to go to the Big 10?

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Initially I thought UW and Oregon were gone , and they still might be. But Oregon with their Nike marketing arm are the kings of the west coast . Why would they go to a conference they would have little chance to win the National title . In the Pac 12 the first six weeks of the season always had a chance . I do wonder if Phil Knight will want to be king of the west and find a way to keep pac 12 competitive .
Still having a tough time seeing ucla making trips to Illinois Purdue etc .

Initially I thought UW and Oregon were gone , and they still might be. But Oregon with their Nike marketing arm are the kings of the west coast . Why would they go to a conference they would have little chance to win the National title . In the Pac 12 the first six weeks of the season always had a chance . I do wonder if Phil Knight will want to be king of the west and find a way to keep pac 12 competitive .
Still having a tough time seeing ucla making trips to Illinois Purdue etc .
I could see them trying to be the Texas of the west. They won’t be interested in an equal share of TV revenue, I think no matter how you slice it if the conference stays together it will do so with the big boys taking a greater piece of the pie.

Oregon is about what is best for Phil's ego. I suspect that W/L is more important to Phil than a specific conference, since W/L is likely to be the biggest factor in getting into the Natty playoff. His odds in the B10 would be worse than at present, so it is hard to see that happening, unless Oregon is delusional. Wait, what...well, I guess that is not off the table after all...

Assuming for a moment that Oregon does not go B10 (either because they are not wanted or because Phil decides his odds of a natty are better in a western conference), Phil will be on the side of maintaining a western conference that will probably keep some form of the PAC name. Whether by merger with the B12, or some sort of alliance/affiliation with the ACC, or simply acquisition of a few more teams to bolster the existing PAC numbers. I don't see the "bolstering" working too well without the SoCal media market; the B12 seems most viable. But in times of crisis, leaders and options emerge. Will it be our leader? The B12 leader? The ACC leader? Or someone else? Who knows...

I saw a figure of $143M dollars a year was needed from both UW and Oregon in terms of value brought to the table in order from the B1G to be interested in asking them to join. Apparently, they would only bring a bit over $60M a year together. I don't know if those figures are correct, but I suspect they are close.

Therefore, why would the B1G ask them to join and pay them more than their value? It's now all about branding and the power that has to bring in viewers. Oregon has that now...but UW doesn't. Unless the B1G agreed to take them in with a reduced payout per year (kind of like Utah and Colorado got in the early years of joining the Pac-12)?

Phil may have something up his sleeve ($), but I'm less convinced that both UW and Oregon will get invited to the B1G than I was a couple of days ago. I think it would be funny to see UW having to join the Big12 in desperation. And it would be a desperation move. Watching them swallow their academic snobbery and arrogance and join a conference with a "religious" (OMG!) school would be hilarious.

Colorado, Utah, and Arizona State will be Big12 teams. Arizona brings nothing to the table as far as football is concerned, but neither does Kansas. I don't see why any conference besides the MWC would want Arizona. Cal and Furd are screwed. Neither has a strong football brand and the Bay Area doesn't care about their football teams much.

Unfortunately, WSU and Oregon State have no chance in coming out well in this new "NFL lite" world. I hope college football begins a downward spiral when millions of viewers turn off their TVs and reject the continued corporatization of college football.

Sad...but interesting times. I think most of us knew this was coming for us...

I have only really watched Pac-12 football. I don’t want to watch Purdue play Indiana or Tennessee play South Carolina. I have however watched all of the PAC-12 teams whenever they are on. I am quite confident that there are many, many west coast fans like me who feel the same way and I’m now not gonna watch those new teams from CA going to the big ten in a few years. Screw them too now.

I have only really watched Pac-12 football. I don’t want to watch Purdue play Indiana or Tennessee play South Carolina. I have however watched all of the PAC-12 teams whenever they are on. I am quite confident that there are many, many west coast fans like me who feel the same way and I’m now not gonna watch those new teams from CA going to the big ten in a few years. Screw them too now.
I feel the same way. The only way I will be watching a Big 10 or SEC team is if they are playing the Cougs.

Oregon is about what is best for Phil's ego. I suspect that W/L is more important to Phil than a specific conference, since W/L is likely to be the biggest factor in getting into the Natty playoff. His odds in the B10 would be worse than at present, so it is hard to see that happening, unless Oregon is delusional. Wait, what...well, I guess that is not off the table after all...

Assuming for a moment that Oregon does not go B10 (either because they are not wanted or because Phil decides his odds of a natty are better in a western conference), Phil will be on the side of maintaining a western conference that will probably keep some form of the PAC name. Whether by merger with the B12, or some sort of alliance/affiliation with the ACC, or simply acquisition of a few more teams to bolster the existing PAC numbers. I don't see the "bolstering" working too well without the SoCal media market; the B12 seems most viable. But in times of crisis, leaders and options emerge. Will it be our leader? The B12 leader? The ACC leader? Or someone else? Who knows...
This doesn't have anything to do with Phil's ego. Phis is an 84 year old billionaire, and Oregon athletics are his passion. He wants them to remain a National brand and compete with the upper echelon programs. That's his only motivation where this is concerned.

This doesn't have anything to do with Phil's ego. Phis is an 84 year old billionaire, and Oregon athletics are his passion. He wants them to remain a National brand and compete with the upper echelon programs. That's his only motivation where this is concerned.
Yes. That is what I said. Phil's ego is satisfied by UO's performance. Phil's check book is all about what is best for Phil's ego. And Phil's check book dictates the UO athletic department.

Reactions: Coug90
Yes. That is what I said. Phil's ego is satisfied by UO's performance. Phil's check book is all about what is best for Phil's ego. And Phil's check book dictates the UO athletic department.
All of this. Oregon would still be just a track school with WSU running for 357 yards on them if Phil hadn’t done Phil. That said, the dominoes he put down has given the ducks a national brand as much as I hate to admit it. UW has a much bigger market and more successful history in FB but the ducks are way more relevant on the national stage right now.

Why would Oregon want to go to the Big 10​

Because they have a grossly over inflated value of who they are, and an inflated value of their football program

Why would Oregon want to go to the Big 10​

Because they have a grossly over inflated value of who they are, and an inflated value of their football program
agree, they are in denial and disbelief tht they were not the first school wanted by the big 10, how dare they not want the ducks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT