ADVERTISEMENT

Wilcox fired his offensive staff at Cal, who is now 3-7

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001

Rumor I heard was Baldwin jumped ship as Wilcox was a control freak and had his hand in what they were doing on offense. Didn't have freedom.

Now, this season, Cal's offense is sputtering under Bill Musgrave how has been in the NFL for years as a coach and a coordinator.

This same Cal program fired Sonny Dykes (TCU coach).

Classic "buy myself time" move. Fire part of the staff to make it look like you're doing something, and get yourself another season to make a change.

This is his 6th season at Cal. He's been over .500 twice. His best was 8-5 in 2019. Almost anywhere else, he's a dead man walking. At Cal, I think he gets one more season...especially if he can win 1 of their last 2.

He signed an extension in January to stay at Cal, he's on contract through 2027. It's a complicated contract though, with an actual salary that's only $275K. He gets talent fees and various incentives (not paid by taxpayers) that get him near $3.5M. I'm not sure how all of that works if he's terminated.

If he's terminated without cause, his buyout is apparently $3.6M. Someone in the Cal AD has to be thinking about that.

Reactions: mikalalas
Consider that the win or else signal from Cal's AD. Wilcox is essentially on a one-year contract now.

Cal will beat Stanford this weekend. Then they might shock UCLA. If he wins both games he probably has bought himself 2 years. If he loses both he is gone. As 95 suggests, most likely is 1 win and 1 more year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT