ADVERTISEMENT

Will Jimmy Lake becoming coach be what it takes

Leach isn’t changing anything, I am sure his attitude is we just have to what we do, but do it better

Jen can't fire him; he is her choice. They will get canned together. They will never be terrible, because Jimmy can recruit. But they will never be great, because it is unlikely that Jimmy has the full leader skill set. I give it 4 years before the UW group gets tired of 7-8 win seasons. Similar results as Helton, though you have to admit that Helton has some class.

Reactions: mikalalas
What if I told you Mike Leach will never coach against Jimmy Lake? What if I told you Mike Leach will be coaching Arkansas next year? What if I told you Arkansas and Washington don't play each other next year? What if?

Don't know about Lake's success during months not starting with "Nov", but I have no doubts Lake will be able to beat Leach if it's the only thing they do all year

I think Lake will be a good coach, how good depends on his OC, and DC, he could be great with the right guys. Lot more pressure on a head coach than a Coordinator, how he handles that pressure is also critical. He seems to have the energy, and background, in theory I think he is a great hire. Promoting from within works at some programs not others, time will tell.

horrible hire, clueless AD, lake and Jen are in way over their heads, program death blow.

Willie Taggart 2.0, and not Oregon, see FSU

Yeah, your only rationale for Lake not succeeding is because he talks shit to Leach and you don’t like it.

Actually, no. The main reason people are predicting he won't succeed is because sudden retirements by elite coaches where assistants are elevated as replacements almost never work out. There is a lot of data available to back that up, and I'm sure you're aware of it.

Those of us who respect UW as a program are thrilled they went this route with CPs replacement.

146-38 Chris Peterson, excellent coach...………..to a guy who has been a DC for 3 years , ranked 24th defense in the country, no head coaching experience, hired by a lady named Jennifer...…….sounds legit.

146-38 Chris Peterson, excellent coach...………..to a guy who has been a DC for 3 years , ranked 24th defense in the country, no head coaching experience, hired by a lady named Jennifer...…….sounds legit.
I was at least following until you got to the "lady" part. Personally I preferred the last guy they had in that position. Cohen seems pretty good. Football is a different beast but she hired Mike Hopkins for basketball when a bunch of other programs had tried and failed.

Reactions: HHusky
what is jennifers background in football and how did she come to this decision with no search committee, no one interviewed ?

My guess is about the same kind of football background as most ADs. Little to none. I don't know her hoops background but she seemed to get that hire right. I remember reading when she was hired that she literally has a lifelong connection to Husky athletics and specifically Don James and football. I assume Chris Petersen was involved similar to Bob Stoops at Oklahoma with the Lincoln Riley hire.

Like I said above I was following until the final part. I have no idea whether it works out good or bad but to suggest because she's a woman without a football background that it won't work seems at minimum naive.

Reactions: HHusky
all that is irrelevant, shes clueless and their program is screwed for at least the next 4 years

Actually, no. The main reason people are predicting he won't succeed is because sudden retirements by elite coaches where assistants are elevated as replacements almost never work out. There is a lot of data available to back that up, and I'm sure you're aware of it.

Those of us who respect UW as a program are thrilled they went this route with CPs replacement.

Wasn’t responding to “people”... was responding to the village idiot of your forum whose now second point for Lake not being successful is because he was retained by a female AD. Yeah, I’m sure she didn’t consult with Petersen at all + this is so moronically sexist.

Don’t you guys think it’s time to stop making predictions about UW? Aren’t you tired of being wrong yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: HHusky and 7ICoug
Don’t you guys think it’s time to stop making predictions about UW? There’s not enough fingers in the world that can count the times everyone is consistently wrong on WazzuWatch

Well sure, but dissing your rival is a natural right of passage in sports fandom. I'm originally from Boston, and the hate spewed between New York teams and the Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics is never ending. I've been hearing from Jets fans that the Patriots suck for 20 years. I understand it.

If WSU fans are logging onto the UW sites and flaming, that's completely different than piling on in this forum.

UW has just nuked their own program. It will become a circus, and I doubt Jen will fire him, no matter how bad it gets.
Totally disagree.
How well do you know Jimmy Lake? Have you seen the 44 minute press conference with Pete, Jen and Jimmy? If you did, you'd be scared in your boots. Jimmy is an extraordinary coach and he'll pick up where Pete left off. In fact, I truly believe he'll take the Husky program to the next level. They guy is phenomenal. Wish he could be on our staff.

Most guys on our side would never take 44 minutes to watch a Husky press conference, but if you did, you might think otherwise.
You don't know what you don't know.

okay we have the next few years to enjoy seeing what occurs. If it goes south I think they are going to have a really ugly disengagement.

Well sure, but dissing your rival is a natural right of passage in sports fandom. I'm originally from Boston, and the hate spewed between New York teams and the Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics is never ending. I've been hearing from Jets fans that the Patriots suck for 20 years. I understand it.

If WSU fans are logging onto the UW sites and flaming, that's completely different than piling on in this forum.

Yeah I don’t know. I don’t like to engage in that kind of behavior.

If WSU was the superior program I’d say it.

Oregon was the far better program over UW for more than a decade. Didn’t occur to me to say they sucked, I acknowledged they were better and the hope was we’d beat them with an inferior team.

I see the line of thinking you’re presenting with a lot of 49er fans these days. The Seahawks have winning seasons in 14 of the last 20 years, SF only 5 in the last 20. Yet everywhere you read it’s, “Seattle sucks, that midget QB is lucky.” I‘ll fully admit SF has a great team this year, I don’t know why it’s so hard for their fan base to admit Seattle has been the superior team for 2 decades. It didn’t bother me to say Oregon was elite for a lot of years...

Don't forget. He's beat us 7 times. Yes. Jimmy Lake. He's responsible for shutting our offense down each year in the AC. The guy is worth a ton of money.

Our league is comprised of 12 teams, having a magic potion against one of them won't win you a league title. That being said, his defenses have been mostly great that past few years, let's see what happens when he is the man and starts recruiting his "OKGs".

Reactions: GrayOnGray
He got rolled by Colorado, I don't look at the AC, I look at their whole season, and they weren't a very good team. Hes a mediocre 24th ranked DC with no HC experience. Evaluating the "hire" , the AC is irrelevant.

To go from CP to a mediocre DC with no HC experience is insane. No search, no interviews, major blunder.

Totally disagree.
How well do you know Jimmy Lake? Have you seen the 44 minute press conference with Pete, Jen and Jimmy? If you did, you'd be scared in your boots. Jimmy is an extraordinary coach and he'll pick up where Pete left off. In fact, I truly believe he'll take the Husky program to the next level. They guy is phenomenal. Wish he could be on our staff.

Most guys on our side would never take 44 minutes to watch a Husky press conference, but if you did, you might think otherwise.

Meh.

A whole lot of hoopla for a team that just went 7-5 and outside of WSU has not beaten a team that finished in the Top 20 the last 5 years . And in that stretch went 1-4 in bowl games. I predict that they do everything they can to give Petersen an easy bowl match-up this year. Not sure that it will be enough but the conference will try. Haven't checked if Southern Miss. is bowl eligible , maybe they are available.

Reactions: royhobbs2
He got rolled by Colorado, I don't look at the AC, I look at their whole season, and they weren't a very good team. Hes a mediocre 24th ranked DC with no HC experience. Evaluating the "hire" , the AC is irrelevant.

To go from CP to a mediocre DC with no HC experience is insane. No search, no interviews, major blunder.
So they're not going to trust Coach Pete and Jen, the ultimate insiders that knows this guy? Watch the entire video, then make a comment. Remember, you're on the outside. You're not on the inside.
Sometimes you just know, and they knew....that Jimmy is a perfect fit. I won't be surprised in 5 years if Lake is the best coach in the conference.. Like I said, they guy is a phenom of a coach.

Meh.

A whole lot of hoopla for a team that just went 7-5 and outside of WSU has not beaten a team that finished in the Top 20 the last 5 years . And in that stretch went 1-4 in bowl games. I predict that they do everything they can to give Petersen an easy bowl match-up this year. Not sure that it will be enough but the conference will try. Haven't checked if Southern Miss. is bowl eligible , maybe they are available.

Ah yes, Roy Hobbs’ running mate for clown of the year has arrived.

I mean you write this nonsense as if an Alamo Bowl win over Iowa St. is more impressive than a Playoff and 2x NY6 bowl births. They played Alabama, a Saquan led PSU, and Haskins/Chase Young led Ohio St. where they were noted underdogs in all of them.

Seriously man, are the Huskies really this far up your ass that you have to reach this hard?

okay hes a phenom

based on a press conference ?

smh

Nobody is saying he’s a phenom. It’s just that you moronically boast about a game where they allowed some yards to Colorado when Lake led defenses/secondaries have allowed an average of like 14 pts a game against CU since he began coaching at UW.

Totally disagree.

He’s a press conference winner alright!

Alright I’m over it, this guy is too big of a moron to respond to any further.

You guys really have some winners here in WSU land.
And I'm sure I could go to a Husky message board and likewise find some "winners" over there. I'm sure we both have stories about moronic behavior by our respective fan bases (i.e. I remember attending an AC in Seattle years ago when a 20-something male Husky fan challenged a middle aged female Cougar fan to a fight in the parking lot because she politely asked him to sit down as he continued to block her view of the game.)

So what's the point of your above post? You come over to a rival's board and get indignant because a Cougar fan is not saying nice things about the Huskies' new coach or AD? Is it really all that surprising that WSU fans might be a little sore about losing so many Apple Cups? If you are expecting posters to be complimentary to a coach who clearly has been a smart ass regarding WSU & Leach, even though he's been successful against them, maybe stay on your own message board.

Glad Cougar

So they're not going to trust Coach Pete and Jen, the ultimate insiders that knows this guy? Watch the entire video, then make a comment. Remember, you're on the outside. You're not on the inside.
Sometimes you just know, and they knew....that Jimmy is a perfect fit. I won't be surprised in 5 years if Lake is the best coach in the conference.. Like I said, they guy is a phenom of a coach.
talking a good game at a press conference means less than nothing

The truth of the matter is that Lake (and Leach) will be judged by their entire body of work, not just apple cups. Lake can beat WSU the next 3 seasons, but if UW finishes 7-5 every year, he'll likely get the boot. Conversely, Leach can lose the next 3 Apple Cups, but if WSU wins between 6-8 games, his job is safe.

And I'm sure I could go to a Husky message board and likewise find some "winners" over there. I'm sure we both have stories about moronic behavior by our respective fan bases (i.e. I remember attending an AC in Seattle years ago when a 20-something male Husky fan challenged a middle aged female Cougar fan to a fight in the parking lot because she politely asked him to sit down as he continued to block her view of the game.)

So what's the point of your above post? You come over to a rival's board and get indignant because a Cougar fan is not saying nice things about the Huskies' new coach or AD? Is it really all that surprising that WSU fans might be a little sore about losing so many Apple Cups? If you are expecting posters to be complimentary to a coach who clearly has been a smart ass regarding WSU & Leach, even though he's been successful against them, maybe stay on your own message board.

Glad Cougar

Well said GC.

CCCDDD - why don’t you head to South Korea and see if you can convince people there that Kim Jong Un is a swell guy. You’re really clueless.

Glad Cougar

The general tone of this message board is nothing but blind hate when it comes to UW. It doesn't matter the topic, the Huskies defy the message of posters on this board all the time, yet it remains. It intrigues me and it's occasionally interesting to read the unrelenting bias of a rival team's view on this rivalry.

The difference is on Husky boards, if you say something stupid about WSU, or any other opponent, fans on these forums call you out and will strike your message until it is no longer visible.

You can dislike Jimmy Lake, you can be upset about the fact that the Huskies have won the last 7 Apple Cups, but at least respect the fact that UW has just been better. There's always some excuse pointing to the contrary.

If the Cougars had won 7 straight Apple Cups, and Leach had talked shit about how we do the same crap over and over, I'd say you don't like it Huskies? Beat them. Not... "Jimmy Lake is a big, bad bully and the Huskies are a bunch of cheaters who use snow to beat us!"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT