ADVERTISEMENT

Will USC Learn this Time Around?

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
Is the era of Pac-12 facilities preoccupation over? With the exception of Leach and Kelly, the conference has a recent history of hiring coaches on the cheap, preferring to spend its money on facility upgrades. With the "if we build it they will come" principle driving the Pac-12 into the Power-5 basement and irrelevancy, will USC go "big" this time? They still have among the worst facilities in the conference. They could use a FOB? A new football stadium wouldn't hurt. They have an obvious, Kif, Sark, Helton successor in their ranks already. Where USC goes, so goes the conference. I just hope for WSU's sake that they don't go "big," and hire on the cheap, again. Thanks to Moos, WSU is in no position to get involved on a lavish contract hiring arms race when Rolo is shown the door in the not to distant future.

I have to believe that USC has learned its lesson, but I thought they had after the Kif/Sark debacle, as well!

SC's office, weights and rehab facilities are actually not bad. Not Oregon level, but not bad, and I'd say the weights/rehab side is probably as good or better than UCLA and much of the conference.

The stadium is a far different story. The tradition at Memorial Stadium is such that I can't see them leaving there, but they could do one heck of a rebuild on the same site if they had 1-2 years for design and another 2-3 years for construction. Minor facelift stuff has been done and I'm not sure there is a lot more to do. If they care about the fans, they should start in the restrooms...

I don't think it was ever SC's intent to hire a HC on the cheap. I think they simply made an almost unforgivable series of poor choices, and most of that was because of their history of having a dud for an AD, along with presidents who (as a group) were ignorant of major college football. All in all, a complete management failure. The depth of their management futility was masked by the accidental success of the Pete Carroll hire. If they had instead managed to hire their first choice...or their second choice...what was Pete, the 4th choice? I don't recall...then all of this would have come tumbling down much sooner.

As for whether they have learned from their mistakes, I think that depends mostly on how Bohn views this and how good Bohn is (or is not). Yes, he pulled the trigger finally. But that was a trigger than should have been pulled last year. I think the rumors that come out of the coaching search will be revealing. I don't see a lot of college coaches who fit the "sure thing", "big name" category who have not already left a job due to burnout.

My guess is that SC will hire a coach from the NFL, but who knows what Bohn will do? Others have posted that the right move would be to hire an "up and comer", and that is all well and good if you can identify that guy. A lot of folks who look like an up and comer don't prove out. And SC has historically been incredibly risk averse in their football HC hires. So...it is up to Bohn. We'll see if he fumbles or takes it to the end zone.

Nothing is ever guaranteed but I can see them making Fickell from Cincinnati as one of their primary targets. He has had great success there and he and the USC AD have a history together.

Now that they got rid of ex USC football players as ADs, and hired Mike Bohn, I think you will see much better hires at USC. With Oregon making a splash by beating OSU, and UCLA looking much better, USC has to make a great hire this time, or they may not return to their glory years for a while. That may seem far fetched, but look at Michigan, a perennial power 20 years ago, Michigan hasn't been to a Rose Bowl since 1998, the year they beat the Cougs. USC can't afford another mistake, or they'll be the next Michigan, Miami or Nebraska.

Sc also needs a coach that will return them to their true identity and get rid of their version of the Air Raid and return to smash mouth football with great RB’s and a powerful ground game and pro styled offense. I’ve often wondered what Stanford’s coach could achieve at sc with his style of game And sc level of talent.

Sc also needs a coach that will return them to their true identity and get rid of their version of the Air Raid and return to smash mouth football with great RB’s and a powerful ground game and pro styled offense. I’ve often wondered what Stanford’s coach could achieve at sc with his style of game And sc level of talent.
Don't ever suggest this again...maybe they won't think of it. And by "they", I mean both SC and Stanford.

SC's office, weights and rehab facilities are actually not bad. Not Oregon level, but not bad, and I'd say the weights/rehab side is probably as good or better than UCLA and much of the conference.

The stadium is a far different story. The tradition at Memorial Stadium is such that I can't see them leaving there, but they could do one heck of a rebuild on the same site if they had 1-2 years for design and another 2-3 years for construction. Minor facelift stuff has been done and I'm not sure there is a lot more to do. If they care about the fans, they should start in the restrooms...

I don't think it was ever SC's intent to hire a HC on the cheap. I think they simply made an almost unforgivable series of poor choices, and most of that was because of their history of having a dud for an AD, along with presidents who (as a group) were ignorant of major college football. All in all, a complete management failure. The depth of their management futility was masked by the accidental success of the Pete Carroll hire. If they had instead managed to hire their first choice...or their second choice...what was Pete, the 4th choice? I don't recall...then all of this would have come tumbling down much sooner.

As for whether they have learned from their mistakes, I think that depends mostly on how Bohn views this and how good Bohn is (or is not). Yes, he pulled the trigger finally. But that was a trigger than should have been pulled last year. I think the rumors that come out of the coaching search will be revealing. I don't see a lot of college coaches who fit the "sure thing", "big name" category who have not already left a job due to burnout.

My guess is that SC will hire a coach from the NFL, but who knows what Bohn will do? Others have posted that the right move would be to hire an "up and comer", and that is all well and good if you can identify that guy. A lot of folks who look like an up and comer don't prove out. And SC has historically been incredibly risk averse in their football HC hires. So...it is up to Bohn. We'll see if he fumbles or takes it to the end zone.
Their weight room and training (med) facilities, McKay Center, are shared with 19 other sports, if I'm not mistaken. It cost the same as our FOB, with LA construction costs. They don't have a FOB and the Coliseum is nearly 100 years old now, designed for a different sport. What other major football program has less? I'm not saying that they will build the "Bohn" Center, now. They'd be stupid to, but every other Pac-12 school, but WSU, put facilities above coaching over the last decade, and suffered. Why not USC this time? When your splashiest coaching hire in 70 years is Kif, you are hiring on the cheap.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Possible. But there is no way that Harbaugh has the energy today that he did when he arrived at Stanford. And energy will be needed.

What energy? You don’t have to go further than 3 hours in any direction to get the talent you need to run ANY scheme. Maybe SC needs to beef up their staff to compete with Alabama? Even then, the work is being delegated. I dunno that coaches are watching film for hours on end any more. They have someone else do it and send them cut ups.

With the enormous staffs and $$ these days if you’re spending 15 hours a day in the office and losing you suck.

What energy? You don’t have to go further than 3 hours in any direction to get the talent you need to run ANY scheme. Maybe SC needs to beef up their staff to compete with Alabama? Even then, the work is being delegated. I dunno that coaches are watching film for hours on end any more. They have someone else do it and send them cut ups.

With the enormous staffs and $$ these days if you’re spending 15 hours a day in the office and losing you suck.
Biggs, wait until you get to Harbaugh's age. You will have more understanding of my post! ;)

They have a stadium in town now that they could potentially lease out for Saturday’s for a couple of years if they wanted to renovate the coliseum. It’s been a common occurance for colleges and pro teams to share a stadium while one is under construction.

They have a stadium in town now that they could potentially lease out for Saturday’s for a couple of years if they wanted to renovate the coliseum. It’s been a common occurance for colleges and pro teams to share a stadium while one is under construction.
They just spent $315 million renovating the coliseum.
It was built for the ‘32’ Olympics, but $315 is a lot of money for upgrading.
They downsized it to 77K and prettied it up significantly.
I’m certain history, tradition, and upgrade will help sell recruits.

Agree. Viable option...if a significant rehab of Memorial Stadium was undertaken. Even after the facelifts, it is still one of those "lipstick on a pig" situations. However, as many have suggested, the first move is to get the right coach...though a potential stadium rehab is a nice carrot to offer a potential HC candidate. You've noticed how many coaches have rushed to publicly take themselves out of consideration over the past 24 hours....

Much nicer now, no doubt. At least you don't need a chiropractor any more after sitting there for a game; the seats are decent. But the restrooms are not much different in size, so don't bring your wife or she will be in line there forever. The sun still beats down on the east side of the stadium and bakes the heck out of that structure, so forget day games before mid-October unless you are sitting on the west side. Without a subterranean garage there will never be significant parking. Yes, it is nice lipstick...and includes some quality rouge and a bit of mascara...but it is still lipstick on a pig. A very traditionally significant pig, sure, but a pig none the less. The Rose Bowl is older and still a much better experience.

Unless the Pac 12 as a whole finds a way to get significantly better, kids aren't staying here. There is enormous social status and prestige to play in the SEC. Wait until the SEC signs a new TV deal and each school takes down $75,000,000 or some crazy number.

SC, having gone out of its way to take the lions share of the TV money for decades making sure that other league teams got as little as possible, is finally getting what they had coming.

F$ck them and the bullshit horse they rode in on. I hope they hire another shit coach. They are a conference killer with their greed and cheating. These assholes thought getting off the bus was gonna beat Stanford. Do they actually wanna play ball? Or just ride around campus wearing the gear and acting like movie stars? Are they pissed they lost or pissed they aren’t as popular?

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Bowls suck. Over half the fans have shitty seats.

They have enough money to demolish the existing seating and build a double decker. UW did it in what... 3 years? 2?

Bowls suck. Over half the fans have shitty seats.

They have enough money to demolish the existing seating and build a double decker. UW did it in what... 3 years? 2?
Like it or hate it, merely pointed out a sizable investment was made in upgrading a facility that has some historical value unlike the former city dump that is now husky stadium.

Nothing is ever guaranteed but I can see them making Fickell from Cincinnati as one of their primary targets. He has had great success there and he and the USC AD have a history together.
Fickell seems like a good candidate, but I really wonder if he’d be interested, especially with Cincinnati headed to the Big 12. He’ll be P-5 then, and have his shot at the playoffs without being in the USC fishbowl.

SC is a big paycheck and a flashy spot, but it’s high visibility and likely unrealistic expectations. Gotta think that coach who’s got pretty comfortable gig only goes to SC for two reasons:
Either Bohn is part Don Vito Corleone (makes him an offer he can’t refuse) or Fickell has his eyes on the NFL.

Like it or hate it, merely pointed out a sizable investment was made in upgrading a facility that has some historical value unlike the former city dump that is now husky stadium.
Husky Stadium is not a former city dump.

Husky Stadium is next door to the former city dump which was there until 1966 helping create the "best setting in college football".

"Bring your raked leaves and old mattresses and get 50 cents off tickets to see the Huskies play Queen Anne High School"

Last edited:
Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Well, we'll see just how deep USC's football pockets are now. If they did a Moos to get it built, they will likely hire an up and coming OC/DC again. I hope their pockets are really deep, for the conference's sake. We need to stop the decline. We have gone from the dominant Power 5 conference to its worst during the last 25 years. And the conference fortunes begin with USC. If they are relevant, West Coast kids won't be heading east in numbers. If West coast kids stay home, WSU will have the chance again to sign 2001-2003 calibre kids, with the right coach.

Last edited:
Fickell seems like a good candidate, but I really wonder if he’d be interested, especially with Cincinnati headed to the Big 12. He’ll be P-5 then, and have his shot at the playoffs without being in the USC fishbowl.

SC is a big paycheck and a flashy spot, but it’s high visibility and likely unrealistic expectations. Gotta think that coach who’s got pretty comfortable gig only goes to SC for two reasons:
Either Bohn is part Don Vito Corleone (makes him an offer he can’t refuse) or Fickell has his eyes on the NFL.

Fickell may have his eyes on Ohio State…

Harbaugh at USC would be nasty. He would do what he did at Stanford but x2.
Why? Definitely not a sure thing anymore, looking at Michigan. I really don’t understand how he goes from turning Furd into a national power, to doing less with more at UM. They’ve lost pretty much every game that matters with top classes; I don’t know what the holdup is there

ADVERTISEMENT