ADVERTISEMENT

Wilner says late July/early August

dgibbons

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2002
Is when the conference commissioners will make a decision.

If conferences cancel left and right, we can run a 11 game conference schedule or work an agreement with the mountain west to play 3 non conference games against them.

Canceling OOC games only doesn't really make any sense, unless the conference is going to implement its own rules for traveling, isolating and/or whatever. I don't see any greater risk of spreading the virus by Michigan going to uw than Michigan traveling to Minnesota.

Canceling OOC games only doesn't really make any sense, unless the conference is going to implement its own rules for traveling, isolating and/or whatever. I don't see any greater risk of spreading the virus by Michigan going to uw than Michigan traveling to Minnesota.
Neither does anyone else who uses logic. Its about optics. Infinitely frustrating.

Neither does anyone else who uses logic. Its about optics. Infinitely frustrating.
1. They can claim they are doing something.
2. Can turn off spigot to the FCS bodybag payouts which were just scrimmages with full stadiums. Don't have to bother with renegotiating the deals with the FCS schools for lower payouts to reflect a likely empty stadium.

Saves a ton of cash though, especially in the non revenue sports.

Reactions: taf88
Saves a ton of cash though, especially in the non revenue sports.

I’ve also seen a hypothetical where 8-9 games are scheduled out over 13-14 weeks. With lots of open dates it will allow options to reschedule games if a team is not able to field a team when a game is scheduled or makes for some inpropto nonconference games. Say the Cougs are scheduled to play at Stanford Oct 15 and Stanford can’t field a team. Same weekend Minnesota is hosting Indiana but Indiana backs out. Turn the plane headed from Palo Alto to MSP and stay in the hotel reserved for Indiana.

I’ve also seen a hypothetical where 8-9 games are scheduled out over 13-14 weeks. With lots of open dates it will allow options to reschedule games if a team is not able to field a team when a game is scheduled or makes for some inpropto nonconference games. Say the Cougs are scheduled to play at Stanford Oct 15 and Stanford can’t field a team. Same weekend Minnesota is hosting Indiana but Indiana backs out. Turn the plane headed from Palo Alto to MSP and stay in the hotel reserved for Indiana.
Read this in an article about the 1918 Spanish flu season. Sounds like history may repeat.

“Programs were forced to deal with illnesses to their players and to opponents’ rosters. Games were canceled from the outset, including a key contest between the University of Chicago and the University of Pittsburgh in early October.

By the end of the season, nearly 20 percent of all major football teams had shuttered their programs for the season. The Missouri Valley Conference, the forerunner to the Big 8 and Big 12, closed down completely as all seven of its member schools decided not to play football in the midst of the pandemic. In total, 16 of the 88 major programs of the period were sidelined by the Spanish flu.

The season also resulted in truncated schedules. In 1917, the median college football season lasted eight games. A year later, teams cut their schedules nearly in half as teams played on average five games that season. Where Georgia Tech went 9-0-0 to win the 1917 national championship, Michigan went just 5-0-0 and Pitt 4-1-0 as the Wolverines and Panthers split the spoils.“

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT