ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin or Arizona

Wisconsin or Arizona?

• Wisconsin......you don't want to regret missing the win if it happens

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Arizona......every Coug fan should experience every Pac-12 stadium before they die

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Skip them both......there are better games to go to

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
My wife has gotten bit by the travel bug and is wanting to go to the Wisconsin game. I'm not particularly excited by the thought for several reasons.
  1. Their fans were not enjoyable to be around last time. Not mean or anything.....just unpleasant. I've heard that is not an unusual sentiment.
  2. The seats for visiting fans suck. I sat with my back to the wall of their field house in the endzone. Their student section looked like it was a 1/2 mile away.
  3. Their campus is sprawling and boring with crappy parking. There's nothing near the football stadium worth visiting from what I saw.
  4. It's a road game against a upper level Big 10 opponent and I don't feel like watching the Cougs lose.
  5. We have a friend who lives there that might want to go to the game and if she does, all she'll do is talk about work, the guys she's banging and her divorce that she's finalizing and that isn't really a conversation that I want to have while watching football.
So......the other game that I'm considering is Arizona. The only reason really is to go to Tucson since I've never been there. The secondary reason is that it would be pretty fun to watch JDL get his ass kicked, but honestly, that isn't that much of a motivator for me. So, if you are picking between two games to go to and these are your choices......which do you pick, Wisconsin or Arizona?

Just from a weather standpoint, Arizona in November sounds a lot better then Wisconsin the first week of September.

Reactions: Coug90
Seems like a much higher probability to see a win in Arizona.

November in Arizona > September in Wisconsin

Gotta believe there’s more fun to be had around Tucson.

Also gotta believe travel is easier to Tucson

Now that I live in the Midwest, Madison may be the closest venue the Cougars will play for me to see live. Still about a 7 hour drive for me. A better option is to just return to the Pacific NW for a vacation and find a Cougar home game to attend.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Coug1990 and 79COUG
Now that I live in the Midwest, Madison may be the closest venue the Cougars will play for me to see live. Still about a 7 hour drive for me. A better option is to just return to the Pacific NW for a vacation and find a Cougar home game to attend.

Glad Cougar

We talked about flying to Pullman for a game but airfare to Spokane or Seattle is ridiculous right now. We can fly to Mesa (Phoenix) for around $190 per person. Flying to O'hare and driving to Madison is about $275 per person. Flying to Spokane? $600 per person. I love Pullman but I don't love it enough to spend $2k on a weekend there.

Flat, I get your dilemma. Would you fly into Chicago and drive down? That's a fun journey and small road trip. I would go with Wisconsin for the following reasons:

Since every year we play in Pima or Maricopa County, it really is a routine. That said, we're totally into Saguaro's, (having a natural cactus in your backyard, like a western Hollywood film, but real...filmed on location). There's the Saguaro National Park, right near Tucson, Saguaro National Park. Never been there, but's it's on my list. We love Cave Creek, AZ, and someday would love to transition there. Remember, you can always hit Arizona, but you may not have another opportunity to see a Big Ten opponent on the road, against the COUGS.

Once is a lifetime opportunity IS to go to Madison to watch the COUGS against a good Big 10 Opponent, and we just might win. Plus, it won't be freezing in September.

Why sit in the end zone with lousy seats? I would rather sit between the 30's, (near the 40 or 50), pickup great seats, have an amazing seat location and view, as I truly wouldn't mind sitting next to Badger fans.

End Zone, no way. I certainly don't sit in the end-zone in Seattle, Eugene or in LA. Sure....you don't get to sit with COUGS fans, but hey, I'm there to watch the game, not to sit next to COUGS fans so you can high-five them after every big play! Heck, there might be COUG fans sitting in front or behind you on the 45. Always someone around to high-five when you go to away games, with good seats.

To each their own. That's why they make Subarus. :cool: Not a big Subaru fan, but respect and honor those who are. We're all different. This is a no brainer. Madison is your answer. Madison is your ticket.

Again, you have the rest of your life to hit Tucson.

Last edited:
Unless you've haven't been to Madison, there's no reason to go back.

Truly one of the worst places the Cougs have played. Insufferable fans, m'eh town. Don't say you haven't been warned repeatedly.

Skip the Madison trip and do a bucket list game at LSU or Ol' Miss instead just to see the spectacle of it all.

you answered your own question in the question, and if she not a Coug fan it's a big no way, anywhere but Wiscy. You'd like to have fun on the trip, this sounds like a buzz kill.

5. We have a friend who lives there that might want to go to the game and if she does, all she'll do is talk about work, the guys she's banging and her divorce that she's finalizing and that isn't really a conversation that I want to have while watching football.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Flat, I get your dilemma. Would you fly into Chicago and drive down? That's a fun journey and small road trip. I would go with Wisconsin for the following reasons:

Since every year we play in Pima or Maricopa County, it really is a routine. That said, we're totally into Saguaro's, (having a natural cactus in your backyard, like a western Hollywood film, but real...filmed on location). There's the Saguaro National Park, right near Tucson, Saguaro National Park. Never been there, but's it's on my list. We love Cave Creek, AZ, and someday would love to transition there. Remember, you can always hit Arizona, but you may not have another opportunity to see a Big Ten opponent on the road, against the COUGS.

Once is a lifetime opportunity IS to go to Madison to watch the COUGS against a good Big 10 Opponent, and we just might win. Plus, it won't be freezing in September.

Why sit in the end zone with lousy seats? I would rather sit between the 30's, (near the 40 or 50), pickup great seats, have an amazing seat location and view, as I truly wouldn't mind sitting next to Badger fans.

End Zone, no way. I certainly don't sit in the end-zone at Husky Stadium, Eugene or in LA. Sure....you don't get to sit with COUGS fans, but hey, I'm there to watch the game, not to sit next to COUGS fans so you can high-five them after every big play! Heck, there might be COUG fans sitting in front or behind you on the 45. Always someone around to high-five when you go to away games, with good seats.

To each their own. That's why they make Subarus. :cool: Not a big Subaru fan, but respect and honor those who are. We're all different. This is a no brainer. Madison is your answer. Madison is your ticket.

Again, you have the rest of your life to hit Tucson.

I didn't choose those end zone seats. I made the mistake of letting a friend of mine who was higher in the CAF rankings buy the seats. That's when I learned that I should never buy tickets through WSU if I'm going to use the seats. I still prefer to be close to the WSU section if I can but I have purchased better seats in the past when WSU seats sucked (Colorado being Exhibit A).

Reactions: M-I-Coug
My wife has gotten bit by the travel bug and is wanting to go to the Wisconsin game. I'm not particularly excited by the thought for several reasons.
  1. Their fans were not enjoyable to be around last time. Not mean or anything.....just unpleasant. I've heard that is not an unusual sentiment.
  2. The seats for visiting fans suck. I sat with my back to the wall of their field house in the endzone. Their student section looked like it was a 1/2 mile away.
  3. Their campus is sprawling and boring with crappy parking. There's nothing near the football stadium worth visiting from what I saw.
  4. It's a road game against a upper level Big 10 opponent and I don't feel like watching the Cougs lose.
So......the other game that I'm considering is Arizona. The only reason really is to go to Tucson since I've never been there. The secondary reason is that it would be pretty fun to watch JDL get his ass kicked, but honestly, that isn't that much of a motivator for me. So, if you are picking between two games to go to and these are your choices......which do you pick, Wisconsin or Arizona?
Curious why you want to see JDL get his ass kicked, apart from the fact that you want WSU to win the game, of course. We've had a lot of turd players and coaches over the years, but JDL was just an immature kid thrust into highly unusual circumstances during his WSU tenure.

We talked about flying to Pullman for a game but airfare to Spokane or Seattle is ridiculous right now. We can fly to Mesa (Phoenix) for around $190 per person. Flying to O'hare and driving to Madison is about $275 per person. Flying to Spokane? $600 per person. I love Pullman but I don't love it enough to spend $2k on a weekend there.

Hold off on buying the airfare. I'm thinking that the brewing recession and drop in forward bookings airlines are seeing out a couple months plus will give them a reality check on what they'll be able to charge.

I could be wrong though...

Curious why you want to see JDL get his ass kicked, apart from the fact that you want WSU to win the game, of course. We've had a lot of turd players and coaches over the years, but JDL was just an immature kid thrust into highly unusual circumstances during his WSU tenure.
Why wouldn't you want to see a turd get his ass kicked is the better question.

Are we letting it slide that the consensus is that he jaked the bowl game because he was already fishing NIL offers?

As I said, it's not much of a motivator for me. However, I think he handled it terribly and I think it's total BS that he pretended that he had flight issues prior to the bowl game when the reality was that he was already jumping ship to Arizona and was actually meeting their coaches instead of being with our team. Kid is a Grade A turncoat and deserves nothing but our scorn.

That said, if I go to Arizona, it's just to check the stadium off the list....it won't be about him.

I didn't choose those end zone seats. I made the mistake of letting a friend of mine who was higher in the CAF rankings buy the seats. That's when I learned that I should never buy tickets through WSU if I'm going to use the seats. I still prefer to be close to the WSU section if I can but I have purchased better seats in the past when WSU seats sucked (Colorado being Exhibit A).
I hear ya! And, now your stuck with those...either way, it will be a good time.

As I said, it's not much of a motivator for me. However, I think he handled it terribly and I think it's total BS that he pretended that he had flight issues prior to the bowl game when the reality was that he was already jumping ship to Arizona and was actually meeting their coaches instead of being with our team. Kid is a Grade A turncoat and deserves nothing but our scorn.

That said, if I go to Arizona, it's just to check the stadium off the list....it won't be about him.
I don't begrudge you for your stance on it, nor do I disagree with you entirely, but he's a young kid who was raised in less than ideal circumstances, so I'm more forgiving I guess with regard to his decision making. That fact that he single handedly resurrected our 2021 season and hammered UW in Husky Stadium also plays into my feelings considerably.

I don't begrudge you for your stance on it, nor do I disagree with you entirely, but he's a young kid who was raised in less than ideal circumstances, so I'm more forgiving I guess with regard to his decision making. That fact that he single handedly resurrected our 2021 season and hammered UW in Husky Stadium also plays into my feelings considerably.
We as fans often forget that these are 18-22 year old kids here and they often don't get the best of advice.

Funny I am actually planning on both. Already booked tickets to fly into Chicago and hang out for a few days then drive to Madison for the game. It'll be cool to see a Big 10 stadium and it rocking. Maybe the fans will be terrible but any time a prospect of any away game comes up it seems like the comments are always x fans are terrible or insufferable so I usually take that with a grain of salt.

Arizona exactly because it's a stadium to check off the list. I also just had a friend move there so a good excuse for a visit and a free place to stay!

Funny I am actually planning on both. Already booked tickets to fly into Chicago and hang out for a few days then drive to Madison for the game. It'll be cool to see a Big 10 stadium and it rocking. Maybe the fans will be terrible but any time a prospect of any away game comes up it seems like the comments are always x fans are terrible or insufferable so I usually take that with a grain of salt.

Arizona exactly because it's a stadium to check off the list. I also just had a friend move there so a good excuse for a visit and a free place to stay!

My wife (who has a travel addiction) has now decided that we are probably going to both games.

On Wisconsin fans, they weren't terrible.....just unpleasant and uninviting. It's not fair to compare them to Auburn, but it was astonishing to see how unfriendly Wisconsin fans were in 2007 after experiencing incredibly welcoming fans at Auburn in 2006. And those Auburn fans were still great in 2013.

My wife (who has a travel addiction) has now decided that we are probably going to both games.

On Wisconsin fans, they weren't terrible.....just unpleasant and uninviting. It's not fair to compare them to Auburn, but it was astonishing to see how unfriendly Wisconsin fans were in 2007 after experiencing incredibly welcoming fans at Auburn in 2006. And those Auburn fans were still great in 2013.
A wife who insists on traveling to multiple road games... we all have our crosses to bear I guess. Ranks right up there with a wife who demands love making every night.

So did Borghi and multiple offensive linemen.
Unless you've haven't been to Madison, there's no reason to go back.

Truly one of the worst places the Cougs have played. Insufferable fans, m'eh town. Don't say you haven't been warned repeatedly.

Skip the Madison trip and do a bucket list game at LSU or Ol' Miss instead just to see the spectacle of it all.
This is a pretty interesting take as Madison is consistently voted as the best college town in America, and Madison as one of the best places to live in the U.S. Meanwhile Pullman is… well, Pullman

This is a pretty interesting take as Madison is consistently voted as the best college town in America, and Madison as one of the best places to live in the U.S. Meanwhile Pullman is… well, Pullman
I gotta admit surprise hearing Wisky fans to be asshats from multiple posters. I’ve heard folks provide assessments of a number of other road trips over the years that were l positive experiences (Auburn, Nebraska, etc)
You may have a nice little town. Guaranteed it’s not Pullman, which is one of the last true college towns. Probably have a few fun bars, etc. What’s up w your fans? By all means, treat visiting Michigan or OSU fans like the assholes they probably are, but be hospitable to fans who probably won’t set foot in your stadium and town for another generation.

Sorry. Your fans are assholes to visitors.

Not Ohio State level assholes but clearly in the same conference.

Livability has nothing to do with how visiting fans are treated. Get over yourself.

We welcome the Cougars and their fans to Madison this weekend. Enjoy your visit and best of luck on Saturday!

Did her friend go to WSU? 😀

Last edited:
Zona for sure.

The campus and stadium is poop, but the setting is beautiful and there is a ton of outdoor stuff to do and see. The visitor section is along the 10 yd line facing east, if memory serves, so not horrible. Its a P12 game, so its more interesting in that it (could) matter more. The Wildcat fans... wait, what fans. Yeah, it'll be empty, but the ones we did run into were fine - about as apathetic as any other P12 stadium.

Arizona. Tucson is a rad town. Good food and breweries, like MI said Cave Creek is a cool area if you travel a bit north. Tombstone is a neat visit a couple hours away and the Mission San Xavier del Bac is a trip. Would be fun to see how Cougs play de Laura too. A lot of upside to an Arizona trip. For a cheap and decent stay check out the Hotel McCoy. Apparently there are only two- one in Tucson and one in Pullman?

I have to admit that the reputation for the treatment of opposing fans is poor in Madison. In particular, there are some frats on one side of the stadium that are notorious for their verbal harassment. With the Cougs, however, I wouldn't think there'd be that much of an issue because, well, a) what is there to hate? and b) your (main) colors are unrecognizably different than the Badgers'. That picture of your coach on this site wearing the W hat could easily be mistaken as a Wisconsin fan.

One tip, because most of the close-to-the-stadium parking is in the neighborhoods rather than a field or big lot, tailgating is a somewhat secondary activity to the bar/beer garden scene. There's a ton of them.

And, as another fan said, Madison is a pretty cool town beyond the game. Find the Union Terrace if you're going.
5526662333_4c626af938_b.jpg

I have to admit that the reputation for the treatment of opposing fans is poor in Madison. In particular, there are some frats on one side of the stadium that are notorious for their verbal harassment. With the Cougs, however, I wouldn't think there'd be that much of an issue because, well, a) what is there to hate? and b) your (main) colors are unrecognizably different than the Badgers'. That picture of your coach on this site wearing the W hat could easily be mistaken as a Wisconsin fan.

One tip, because most of the close-to-the-stadium parking is in the neighborhoods rather than a field or big lot, tailgating is a somewhat secondary activity to the bar/beer garden scene. There's a ton of them.

And, as another fan said, Madison is a pretty cool town beyond the game. Find the Union Terrace if you're going.

My wife has a friend there so I think this will be our sixth trip to Madison. The Union Terrace is worth the visit and it's certainly a nice town. That said, it's all about what works for you. We went there in March about six years ago and the lakes still had enough ice on them some dude was windsurfing across the ice. I don't enjoy cold weather enough to put up with that.

On that same trip, we went down what I recall was State Street and there was an incredible amount of college age kids hanging out at the bars. As an old dude, it was hilarious watching all the guys working to get phone numbers from gals as we walked along. Of course, even though the lakes were covered with ice and the temperature was in the 50's, most of the chicks were wearing sun dresses because it was the first "nice" day of the year. Definitely a different environment than Pullman.

Reactions: BadgerInSpartyland

5526662333_4c626af938_b.jpg
Unfortunately I can’t go. This looks a lot more fun than what I’m going to be doing this weekend!
In short, every school/stadium has their pricks and drunkards making it an unpleasant experience for others. And most college towns/campuses are pretty cool if you haven’t visited them.
Hopefully Cougs who are able to attend Saturday will have a positive experience. I know I want other fans to enjoy WSU when they visit, and if an unruly Coug fan was being a dick for no reason, I’d call them out on it.

Arizona. Tucson is a rad town. Good food and breweries, like MI said Cave Creek is a cool area if you travel a bit north. Tombstone is a neat visit a couple hours away and the Mission San Xavier del Bac is a trip. Would be fun to see how Cougs play de Laura too. A lot of upside to an Arizona trip. For a cheap and decent stay check out the Hotel McCoy. Apparently there are only two- one in Tucson and one in Pullman?
Yeah, Cave Creek area to own, (not a fan of the business district, as you go into town) is pretty amazing, if it fits your retirement budget.

Reactions: 702coug
My wife has a friend there so I think this will be our sixth trip to Madison. The Union Terrace is worth the visit and it's certainly a nice town. That said, it's all about what works for you. We went there in March about six years ago and the lakes still had enough ice on them some dude was windsurfing across the ice. I don't enjoy cold weather enough to put up with that.

On that same trip, we went down what I recall was State Street and there was an incredible amount of college age kids hanging out at the bars. As an old dude, it was hilarious watching all the guys working to get phone numbers from gals as we walked along. Of course, even though the lakes were covered with ice and the temperature was in the 50's, most of the chicks were wearing sun dresses because it was the first "nice" day of the year. Definitely a different environment than Pullman.
Yes, State St. is the eight blocks or so between campus and the state capitol that only buses can use. It's full of nightlife, and gets slightly less college-y as you get closer to the capitol.

As for the frozen lakes, I love this photo from when I was a kid - the student government decided Madison needed a national monument...
lake-mendota-liberty-4.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT