ADVERTISEMENT

Wish some more would admit that we haven't recruited nor retained

the proper horses on defense. Bill Arnsparger could of coached this defense and they would of still given up as many yards.
Grinch was going to leave at some point.
Besides that, the Student Conduct Board crap may have accelarated coach churn on defense, thereby recruiting.

University as a whole has problems in middle management positions.

Having a person atop that Board who didn't even live in the state came back to bite them.

Reactions: walzuu
Besides that, the Student Conduct Board crap may have accelarated coach churn on defense, thereby recruiting.

Having a person atop that Board who didn't even live in the state came back to bite them.
That's interesting. I've heard certain "Islander this...Islander that" kinda crap in regards to those parties.

Losing Mastro and Manning has hurt a lot. Coaches hoped Shaver would be able to recruit LA Valley and it hasn't gone well.

what would more admitting it do? Are you looking for validation or something? People admitting it isn't gonna turn our bad players into better ones

The best thing for WSU recruiting is prob Leach. Have the boss put boots on pavement. Have him show up at schools and tell kids “we need you to play right now.”

Nothing sends a better message to kids about how much they are wanted than the boss showing up.

Reactions: jarvis1981
To recruit better we need to replace some of our assistant coaches who have zero personality. Hard to sale a 19 year old kid when you have very little charisma and can hardly carry a conversation with others adults. We need to get some young hungry coaches who have played nfl football and are from LA, Seattle, Oakland, Fresno or some of the other major areas where talent comes from. When you have 4 coaches who are 5'6" tall or a DC who is 400 lbs recruiting.....it is prob not gonna go well. Sorry to be a dick, but to be a strong recruiter these days you need a personality, need to look the part, and must be able to utilize technology and relate to players. Selling parents and writing tons of hand written letters might reel in some players but not that many these days. Kids these days are on their phone non-stop, you better be able to use twitter, instagram and all that stuff.....and you have to be able to convince them that you can help them get to the next level and they will play early(even if they have no chance at being a pro). Spurrier is by far our best recruiter, not just cause his name, he has coached for the redskins, he has great personality and he uses twitter better than any other coach. If we could find 2 or 3 Spurrier coaches on defense then we will be in great shape.

Contrary to this thread's heading, I wish someone would convince me things aren't writ in stone and easily reversible. The alternative is too depressing--even Wulff-like.

I'm so sick of hearing people whine about the student conduct board. If we didn't have football players acting like a bunch of drunk, entitled a$$holes......the student conduct board would have never been a point of conversation. The problem a few years ago wasn't that board, it was a bunch of guys on our team that felt like that having their name on the roster gave them immunity. Coaches have left because of money.....not because of that board.

Reactions: Cougzz
The best thing for WSU recruiting is prob Leach. Have the boss put boots on pavement. Have him show up at schools and tell kids “we need you to play right now.”

Nothing sends a better message to kids about how much they are wanted than the boss showing up.

He can’t travel during the May evaluation period. That’s been the rule for about 13 or 14 years.

I'm so sick of hearing people whine about the student conduct board. If we didn't have football players acting like a bunch of drunk, entitled a$$holes......the student conduct board would have never been a point of conversation. The problem a few years ago wasn't that board, it was a bunch of guys on our team that felt like that having their name on the roster gave them immunity. Coaches have left because of money.....not because of that board.

He was referring to Salave’a. His wife spoke at the Trustee meeting.

But please continue with your righteousness.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
To recruit better we need to replace some of our assistant coaches who have zero personality. Hard to sale a 19 year old kid when you have very little charisma and can hardly carry a conversation with others adults. We need to get some young hungry coaches who have played nfl football and are from LA, Seattle, Oakland, Fresno or some of the other major areas where talent comes from. When you have 4 coaches who are 5'6" tall or a DC who is 400 lbs recruiting.....it is prob not gonna go well. Sorry to be a dick, but to be a strong recruiter these days you need a personality, need to look the part, and must be able to utilize technology and relate to players. Selling parents and writing tons of hand written letters might reel in some players but not that many these days. Kids these days are on their phone non-stop, you better be able to use twitter, instagram and all that stuff.....and you have to be able to convince them that you can help them get to the next level and they will play early(even if they have no chance at being a pro). Spurrier is by far our best recruiter, not just cause his name, he has coached for the redskins, he has great personality and he uses twitter better than any other coach. If we could find 2 or 3 Spurrier coaches on defense then we will be in great shape.

I agree. The SoCal recruiting appears to be ticking upward a bit, but Shaver and McBath are a big step down from Manning and Mastro.

Mastro is kinda short though.

Reactions: taf88

The Student Conduct Board was, quite possibly, the worst concocted, ill-conceived group of witch hunters ever allowed to operate at Washington State University.

And that has nothing to do with the conduct of football players. Truly a hideous vehicle derived of due process and allowed to operate with relative impunity for years.

Thank god, the football team shined a light on the evil that it was. And thank god the university took steps to clean that mess up.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
I agree. The SoCal recruiting appears to be ticking upward a bit, but Shaver and McBath are a big step down from Manning and Mastro.

Mastro is kinda short though.
The problem with recruiting mercenaries is that we don’t have the $ to keep up and you are always going to have an Oregon, UW, SC that will throw money at them that WSU can’t compete with. You’re always looking for the next guy. Recruiting is a sales job and there’s not much loyalty in sales...unless we have a Coug like Hunter Dale that becomes a great recruiter and will stick around for the long haul.

The problem with recruiting mercenaries is that we don’t have the $ to keep up and you are always going to have an Oregon, UW, SC that will throw money at them that WSU can’t compete with. You’re always looking for the next guy. Recruiting is a sales job and there’s not much loyalty in sales...unless we have a Coug like Hunter Dale that becomes a great recruiter and will stick around for the long haul.

A small, slow defense is a problem too.

Reactions: Cougzz and Coug90
The Student Conduct Board was, quite possibly, the worst concocted, ill-conceived group of witch hunters ever allowed to operate at Washington State University.

And that has nothing to do with the conduct of football players. Truly a hideous vehicle derived of due process and allowed to operate with relative impunity for years.

Thank god, the football team shined a light on the evil that it was. And thank god the university took steps to clean that mess up.

I'm not saying that I'm a fan of that board. It sucked. The problem with our program doesn't have anything to do with that board. If we didn't have a bunch of players running rogue that summer.....we wouldn't be talking about that board. I actually appreciate the fact that our players were forced to learn that the world is unfair and takes a dump on them when they act like entitled fools. There wasn't a single player involved that didn't bring the problems onto themselves. If Joe didn't like it.....maybe he should have had a little more control over his players.

Mastro was short, but he was relatable and had charisma. His players would he recruited loved the guy. Plus he like Spurrier, utilized social media really well.

This problem started in 14. Then 15. Why pretend like it was the student counsel ? Joe income was doubled . But Joe recruited better his first two years that carried him over.

This problem started in 14. Then 15. Why pretend like it was the student counsel ? Joe income was doubled . But Joe recruited better his first two years that carried him over.

We’re clearly missing all those 6th seniors from the 2014 class....

What pisses me off the most is that our biggest area of weakness is the back 7, the secondary in particular.

There is no justifiable reason why we can’t find and develop quality secondary players. It’s not a position like interior defensive linemen. There are bunches of quality secondary players out West.

Programs like Cal, Air Force, Wyoming, etc. can field competent defenses and we can’t? This was a coaching / recruiting swing and miss.

And yes, we are missing Grinch. The good news is that we’ll be able to reset the defensive coaching staff next season, and Leach typically makes good hires.

What pisses me off the most is that our biggest area of weakness is the back 7, the secondary in particular.

There is no justifiable reason why we can’t find and develop quality secondary players. It’s not a position like interior defensive linemen. There are bunches of quality secondary players out West.

Programs like Cal, Air Force, Wyoming, etc. can field competent defenses and we can’t? This was a coaching / recruiting swing and miss.

And yes, we are missing Grinch. The good news is that we’ll be able to reset the defensive coaching staff next season, and Leach typically makes good hires.

Leach typically makes good hires.[

Unfortunately Leach's ability to identify good assistants has turned him into a great head hunter for the bigger programs because of the bigger salaries that they can pay.

Alex Grinch now makes $1.4 million at OU and he made $600 K just 2 years ago at WSU.

Before these assistant salaries starting going crazy Leach was able to identify and build good staffs at Tech that would hang around for awhile. He is currently being ravaged by the ability of the programs to lure these guys for crazy differences in salary. That was what so bad about Clareys not working out, because you hoped he had found a quality guy that would stick around for awhile. Turned out he was not that quality .

Leach really is between a rock and hard place. He makes a good hire and the best you can hope for is about 3 seasons, he makes a bad hire and you have the results that you now see.

Reactions: Coug90 and Cougzz
Leach typically makes good hires.[

Unfortunately Leach's ability to identify good assistants has turned him into a great head hunter for the bigger programs because of the bigger salaries that they can pay.

Alex Grinch now makes $1.4 million at OU and he made $600 K just 2 years ago at WSU.

Before these assistant salaries starting going crazy Leach was able to identify and build good staffs at Tech that would hang around for awhile. He is currently being ravaged by the ability of the programs to lure these guys for crazy differences in salary. That was what so bad about Clareys not working out, because you hoped he had found a quality guy that would stick around for awhile. Turned out he was not that quality .

Leach really is between a rock and hard place. He makes a good hire and the best you can hope for is about 3 seasons, he makes a bad hire and you have the results that you now see.

Well, then it should be easy to attract the best up and comers then. They take ours, we take theirs.

Well, then it should be easy to attract the best up and comers then. They take ours, we take theirs.

Agree. It sucks to lose guys. Part of being a good head coach is identifying and hiring good assistants. For the $3-4m he makes, seems reasonable to expect he is capable of doing that.

There are tons of good coaches out there. You have to find them. Gundy has gone to d2 schools to hire guys. Maybe its time Leach starts looking for guys across all divisions and getting them into the conference room on the board.

Might be. But I thought the topic is what led to defensive problems this year.

Staff retention on the defensive side is what is showing up this year. Everything in College football usually has a lag effect and that is happening again.

Leach can handle staff turnover on offense because he is the coordinator and QB coach. Not as easy on defense.

Might be. But I thought the topic is what led to defensive problems this year.

Staff retention on the defensive side is what is showing up this year. Everything in College football usually has a lag effect and that is happening again.

Leach can handle staff turnover on offense because he is the coordinator and QB coach. Not as easy on defense.

He prob needs an older, established DC that is looking to settle into one place and stack chips. A guy not necessarily looking for short checks. A coach looking for 6-8 years of good money and then retire with water front property.

I have no issue with young guys coming thru with short stays. They are building their careers and resumes. That’s fair. But WSU has to have coordinators that develop really strong position coaches so the head man has coaches to call back on later down the road.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I liked that fact that Grinch was a defensive back, as his style matched what I think a defense needs to be successful in the P12. Have to be able to run sideline to sideline. Have to be able to cover. We don’t face Big12 offenses.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Leach needs to hire a good young dc that's out west and let him make his own d hires. Problem with Claeys or Grinch is they had little recruiting ties and coach connections out west. Whether it is Sirmon or someone else out west....let him hire his buddies and guys he knows and works well with.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Look at what Grinch did when he went to Oklahoma. He brought Manning in as cb coach and Odom (was our D qc coach) as lb coach. A good DC will want to bring in his own guys.

Leach probably needs an older, established DC that is looking to settle into one place and stack chips. A guy not necessarily looking for short checks. A coach looking for 6-8 years of good money and then retire with water front property.

Isn't that exactly what CML and the Cougs had with Tracy Claeys until last week?

When looking at the depth chart, there is a lot of youth on the defensive side of the ball. The younger players seem to have some more of the physical intangibles, they just haven't had the time to develop in our system.

I like the looks of: Kwete, Brown, Stone, Silvels (we miss him), Hobbs, Ross, Nunn.
In two years are we going to be singing the praises of these young men and how good defensive recruiting was?

Hopefully we can get another good class or two in a row to add to these defensive cornerstones and our defense will be on par with the offense in two years. We need to build off the 11-2 season of last year. It took a few years, but now it seems the offense is able to reload because of the added depth. Hopefully our defense will be able to do that soon.

When looking at the depth chart, there is a lot of youth on the defensive side of the ball. The younger players seem to have some more of the physical intangibles, they just haven't had the time to develop in our system.

I like the looks of: Kwete, Brown, Stone, Silvels (we miss him), Hobbs, Ross, Nunn.
In two years are we going to be singing the praises of these young men and how good defensive recruiting was?

Hopefully we can get another good class or two in a row to add to these defensive cornerstones and our defense will be on par with the offense in two years. We need to build off the 11-2 season of last year. It took a few years, but now it seems the offense is able to reload because of the added depth. Hopefully our defense will be able to do that soon.
Good post.....and I'd like to think the young guys could develop into defensive cornerstones. But a lot depends on coaching. I thought Woods was going to be a future all-conference player after his freshman year, but it appears he has regressed or at least hasn't improved much. I thought Oguayo might end up having an Isaac Brown-type impact. I expected Marcus Strong to be better than he is currently. There was a lot of optimism, it seems, about these guys when they were freshmen but they haven't developed as much as expected, IMO. The loss of defensive coaches probably hasn't helped or perhaps those players have greater shortcomings than I first realized. In any event, the staff really needs to do what you said– get another couple of good classes of defensive players. They also need to develop them better.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT