ADVERTISEMENT

Wish this guy liked Football

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Duane Brelsford is another one. He's not in Schweitzer's league, but he owns a large portion of the complexes WSU students live in, and has made sizable contributions to WSU...just not necessarily directed toward football. Any fundraiser in Pullman who doesn't have both of them on speed dial isn't doing their job.

Duane Brelsford is another one. He's not in Schweitzer's league, but he owns a large portion of the complexes WSU students live in, and has made sizable contributions to WSU...just not necessarily directed toward football. Any fundraiser in Pullman who doesn't have both of them on speed dial isn't doing their job.

Yeah - according to the WSU Foundation site, Duane and wife have given over $5 million. I know he's done very well and his family has been very generous, but I never would have thought that he had that sort of coin to put out there. Wow.

What I would like to see Athletics do is put together their own honor roll of donors which shows athletics-specific gifts. They have the data.

Someday we'll have a new big-time Athletics donor. Sooner or later, it will eventually happen.

As I have said a couple of times, if we can't get that sports-loving, sports-team owning billionaire alum known as PA to do a T. Boone Pickens, then who?

And dang, I wish I knew what it was - I'm sure he has been approached many times (if not then they all should have been fired all these years), so I wonder what it is......

I'm not familiar with all the other mega-millionaires and billionaires who are Cougs, but if others want to start a list just for fun I would be very interested.

As I have said a couple of times, if we can't get that sports-loving, sports-team owning billionaire alum known as PA to do a T. Boone Pickens, then who?

And dang, I wish I knew what it was - I'm sure he has been approached many times (if not then they all should have been fired all these years), so I wonder what it is......

I'm not familiar with all the other mega-millionaires and billionaires who are Cougs, but if others want to start a list just for fun I would be very interested.
Gary Larson. Cartoonist who did The Far Side. No idea what he’s got for money, but that strip was syndicated coast to coast for years, he must have put together a bankroll.

Our two most esteemed graduates in modern times: Gary Larson and Dr. Lawrence Peter.

th

Reactions: TSKCoug and Cougzz
You have to love another "cheap-ass Cougar fans looking for a savior/sugar daddy" thread...

Just this one time I am going to respond to a post of yours without my usual F-you. But that too.

Exactly what is wrong with a discussion of who might be a possible transforming Cougar donor? Oregon has one. Oklahoma State has one. uw - they are all rich, but Alaska Air has done wonders for them. Colorado State had an anonymous donor give $20 million just to make sure that "Sonny Lubick Field" kept its name in their new stadium. Which is better than ours. And bigger.

I have brought up Paul Allen more than a couple of times. The guy spent what - a million? - to redo his old frat. He gave $26 million to create the Paul Allen School of Global Health at WSU. The number seems odd, but it was a million more than Bill Gates gave to WSU. Get it?

The guy is worth over $20 BILLION dollars. Let's say I am worth $1 million. If I gave $1,000 to Athletics, that would be like PA giving $20 MILLION.

Am I the only one who wonders what it is that we could or haven't or can do to get this NFL, NBA franchise-owning Coug to be interested in his the Cougs athletics program?

And that said, we have heard nothing on the alleged DariGold stadium deal. Although this would be peanuts compared to something like the $165 million that T. Boone Pickens gave to Okie State. Who by the way is "only" worth $950 million. So he gave about 15% of his current net worth to his alma mater.

So hey Chun, start earning your no-incentive, more than Bill Moos salary and show us something. Get the $100 million "Campaign for WSU Athletics" going, and motivate saps like me to pony up a few thousand, and rich guys like you Yaki to pony up some hundreds of thousands and get others to pony up whatever they feel like affording. And get PA to throw us $100 million to put his name on his alma mater's stadium forever. Instead of some mutt.

Just this one time I am going to respond to a post of yours without my usual F-you. But that too.

Exactly what is wrong with a discussion of who might be a possible transforming Cougar donor? Oregon has one. Oklahoma State has one. uw - they are all rich, but Alaska Air has done wonders for them. Colorado State had an anonymous donor give $20 million just to make sure that "Sonny Lubick Field" kept its name in their new stadium. Which is better than ours. And bigger.

I have brought up Paul Allen more than a couple of times. The guy spent what - a million? - to redo his old frat. He gave $26 million to create the Paul Allen School of Global Health at WSU. The number seems odd, but it was a million more than Bill Gates gave to WSU. Get it?

The guy is worth over $20 BILLION dollars. Let's say I am worth $1 million. If I gave $1,000 to Athletics, that would be like PA giving $20 MILLION.

Am I the only one who wonders what it is that we could or haven't or can do to get this NFL, NBA franchise-owning Coug to be interested in his the Cougs athletics program?

And that said, we have heard nothing on the alleged DariGold stadium deal. Although this would be peanuts compared to something like the $165 million that T. Boone Pickens gave to Okie State. Who by the way is "only" worth $950 million. So he gave about 15% of his current net worth to his alma mater.

So hey Chun, start earning your no-incentive, more than Bill Moos salary and show us something. Get the $100 million "Campaign for WSU Athletics" going, and motivate saps like me to pony up a few thousand, and rich guys like you Yaki to pony up some hundreds of thousands and get others to pony up whatever they feel like affording. And get PA to throw us $100 million to put his name on his alma mater's stadium forever. Instead of some mutt.

I'm not rich. I'm homeless. I've had my tent pitched in your back yard for a week now. Can you go to the store and get some bread, lunch meat, maybe some pop? And get some good beer for once!

Reactions: Cougzz
It is tough to live in a tent during 90+ F weather. Even harder to find regular places to shower. You have my sympathy, Yaki.

So hey Chun, start earning your no-incentive, more than Bill Moos salary and show us something.

Well said Loyal.

To this day, I just don't understand the diehard CougZone posters who seemed almost giddy to see Mr. Moos — the man who convinced Mike Leach to move from Key West to Pullman — pack up his things and leave home for Lincoln, Neb.

I got a strong feeling Bill would've rallied the troops at this point and the shovels would be in the ground for a first-class IPF.

The only dirt we see right now is that Sgt. Schultz and his minions are throwing on Bill's legacy at his alma mater.

Jackson-Bledsoe Field at Martin Stadium has kind of a nice ring to it.

Well said Loyal.

To this day, I just don't understand the diehard CougZone posters who seemed almost giddy to see Mr. Moos — the man who convinced Mike Leach to move from Key West to Pullman — pack up his things and leave home for Lincoln, Neb.

I got a strong feeling Bill would've rallied the troops at this point and the shovels would be in the ground for a first-class IPF.

The only dirt we see right now is that Sgt. Schultz and his minions are throwing on Bill's legacy at his alma mater.

With what? The Visa card is maxed and there's no more room on the HELOC.

Well said Loyal.

Yeah I'm with Observer on this. Moos did not set the world on fire with his fundraising prowess. And like all the AD's before him, he could not or did not interest PA. In his what - 6 years here?

Our two most esteemed graduates in modern times: Gary Larson and Dr. Lawrence Peter.

I bring up Peter frequently when talking business practices and referring to the Peter Principle. No one I talk to ever realizes that he was a Coug. But of couse it is a Coug thing, people just don't understand. My favorite quote.

How many people have we all interacted with or worked for that were poster children for the Principle? I've worked for a handful, and have seen many others. Don't think I am one of those (yet), but I'm not done working so I guess we shall see. ;)

From my perspective, only going with a hunch here, our next billionaire COUG donor is currently in elemenary, middle or high-school. We're a decade or two from a big-time donor stepping up.

The Schweitzer move seems to be more Schweitzer-focused and less WSU-focused. Sounds like he's building - among other things - a WA/ID talent pipeline for his company. I'm sure it's not as clear to him how bootstrapping a PF for the football team is going to drive the same ROI for SEL.

But there is an impressive roster of WSU wealth sitting on the sidelines between Schweitzer, Allen, Larson ($70MM NW) and others. When I was at WSU the assistant AD gave a lecture to my class about what puts schools on the map. His point: when you get a "Go Cougs" on your Alaska cruise, or in Gulf Shores, or abroad in Europe, it's not because of the journalism college or the math club or the vet school. It's the football team. Look at the usable $$$ that rolled in when CML came on board. Look at U of O applications and $$$ when PK started buying them a program.

I'm in Norman, Oklahoma today incidentally, looking at billions in new construction, academic and athletic. A lot of placards and noise here about athletic tradition and championships; not so much about academic excellence. But pretty interesting what having a perennially successful football team can do for the rest of your school - even in an armpit like Norman.

Maybe it’s the person WSU has sent to ask???

Cougatron has been pretty adamant WSU Athletics will be rolling in cash in short order as long as Sgt. Schulz or Mr. Chung don't screw it up. He has provided a lot of statistics to back up that opinion.

A first-class IPF and the eventual Martin Stadium expansion project (unless we expect capacity to remain at 32K+ for the foreseeable future) are likely the two remaining football-centric items on the current administration's agenda.

Schultz said in December the money would be raised in 12-18 months to begin construction on a state of the art $28M facility (see below):

IPF.jpg

And, per Schultz from Brand X: “We don’t necessarily have to have a marble façade, but on the other hand we do NOT want something that looks cheap, like we threw it up and slapped a big Cougar head on it and everybody says, ‘Well, they clearly didn’t have enough money to do it right.’ I want to make sure it’s something our fans, our faculty, staff, our players and coaches are proud of -- and really keeps in line with excellence in facilities development that Bill Moos started as AD."

So, thank goodness, it doesn't sound like a maintenance crew will power wash "The Bubble" or shoe-horn roll-up turf sized for 8-man football into a relic from the Great Depression and call it a day.

WSU is on the verge of being a consistent Top 25 — or higher — football program.

Why stop moving forward now?

USA Today: How Washington State has spent its way to college football relevancy

Reactions: YakiCoug
Quote last September from Mr Moos regarding the current IPF:

Moos said the turf in the bubble “I don’t think is real safe, and the lighting isn’t good.” A new facility also would help in recruiting, much like the five-story football complex in the stadium’s end zone. “I think Mike (Leach) would rather practice out in the cold – and it was cold last December – than risk losing players in the bubble."

So according to someone who would know, "The Bubble" is living on borrowed time.

Reactions: YakiCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT