ADVERTISEMENT

WSU 0, ASU 0

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
The first half was a rather dull affair despite the Cougs having the statistical edge. Cannot remember exactly but seem to recall we had ten shots versus the Sun Devils' two. To no avail. No goals for either team.

Don't know what Shulenberger told them during the halftime intermission but we came out in the second half with more energy. Cougs dominated the game from that point. The girls played well but again to no result.

With five minutes to go in the second OT one of our defenders took a brutal foul and Minniss took exception and came to her teammates defense. The ASU player responsible for the foul was yellow carded but Minniss got a red and was booted. Despite being a player down we still had the edge, if a smaller one, during the last five minutes. Shulenberger and the ASU coach were jawing at each other during this time.

Maybe it is just me but I have the feeling that Ella Dederick is not the only fine goalkeeper in the league. We have run into some good ones lately, including the one up at Gonzaga. And many of them are young. The Pac12 just seems to get tougher and tougher as time goes.

Volleyball: WSU 3, OSU 1. Another win by Jen Greeny and crew. Good on you, ladies.

p.s. Do any of you know what happened to Kowalchuk? She is on the roster but not playing. She was supposed to be one of the gems of the current freshman class. I am hoping a temporary illness/injury that turned this season into a red-shirt one.

WSU had a 27-4 (10-1) shot advantage. In the the first OT Bennett headed on goal and another WSU player (couldn't pick up who it was) headed it just over goal.

Agree on the goalies in the conference. We have run into a bunch of good ones.

The first half was a rather dull affair despite the Cougs having the statistical edge. Cannot remember exactly but seem to recall we had ten shots versus the Sun Devils' two. To no avail. No goals for either team.

Don't know what Shulenberger told them during the halftime intermission but we came out in the second half with more energy. Cougs dominated the game from that point. The girls played well but again to no result.

With five minutes to go in the second OT one of our defenders took a brutal foul and Minniss took exception and came to her teammates defense. The ASU player responsible for the foul was yellow carded but Minniss got a red and was booted. Despite being a player down we still had the edge, if a smaller one, during the last five minutes. Shulenberger and the ASU coach were jawing at each other during this time.

Maybe it is just me but I have the feeling that Ella Dederick is not the only fine goalkeeper in the league. We have run into some good ones lately, including the one up at Gonzaga. And many of them are young. The Pac12 just seems to get tougher and tougher as time goes.

Volleyball: WSU 3, OSU 1. Another win by Jen Greeny and crew. Good on you, ladies.

p.s. Do any of you know what happened to Kowalchuk? She is on the roster but not playing. She was supposed to be one of the gems of the current freshman class. I am hoping a temporary illness/injury that turned this season into a red-shirt one.
Better than an L, but disappointing when you look @ SOG. Especially tough when ASU is Ofer in conference. Too many good teams not to mop up on the cellar dwellers.

Better than an L, but disappointing when you look @ SOG. Especially tough when ASU is Ofer in conference. Too many good teams not to mop up on the cellar dwellers.

Nice recap from Kayak and good points in the replies.

I was able to watch the second half and the two o.t. periods.

My comments would be that it’s really hard to break a determined bunker, or semi-bunker, defense. It takes the ability to quickly pass and move in tight spaces and/or some powerful “outside” shooting.

Not much of either evident, in my humble opinion. Though the Cougs did have some excellent chances. Most of those seemed to come off of hopeful balls sent in the air into the box instead of clinical passing and off the ball movement.

I have watched many of the games, mostly on TV or streaming. I was at the game against Seattle U.

If I had one major criticism of the team it’s that (to me) there’s a certain lack of chemistry and support in the passing in the final third. They do a pretty darn good job of getting the ball wide and then getting it into the box. But there’s not a lot of other “incisive” tight passing happening.

Especially between Weaver and Bennett. Maybe I’m totally wrong? After all there were some pretty darn good chances. It just seems to me that some better combination and passing between those two would result in more goals scored. Forwards NEED to be “greedy” in the box. But sometimes it’s better to use your movement to draw defenders, creating space, and use your passes to set up the other forward.

If you watch the Sounders, Ruidiaz is a master of making runs that open space by drawing attention of the defense.

Anyway, a mostly dominant effort by the Cougs in which they were probably unlucky not to win. But the game’s like that sometimes. And I agree about facing some pretty decent keeping from the other sides.....

Not trying to be over critical. Just giving a view on what I think I have seen. FWIW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT