ADVERTISEMENT

WSU Enrollment, Zags and Big-12

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022

The Spokesman article is subscriber only (I'm not) so tough to read. The Daily News gives you two freebies a month.

So Gonzaga - this makes absolutely no sense. They don't play football and never will. Their men's and women's BB teams are good. BFD. They are a runt school. Academics? The Big-12 doesn't care about that, unlike the Pac-12.

WSU and enrollment. 3 years in a row of declines? Although once you enroll a small class, it haunts you for 4-5 years. I need to go look at the actual numbers over the last few years. Funny that Idaho seems to be rebounding after years of enrollment struggles. Will be interesting to watch - Pullman continues to throw up apartment complexes right and left. At what point does this bite the town and developers in the butt, much like back in the 70's/80's(?) when enrollment stagnated.

The Spokesman article is subscriber only (I'm not) so tough to read. The Daily News gives you two freebies a month.

So Gonzaga - this makes absolutely no sense. They don't play football and never will. Their men's and women's BB teams are good. BFD. They are a runt school. Academics? The Big-12 doesn't care about that, unlike the Pac-12.

WSU and enrollment. 3 years in a row of declines? Although once you enroll a small class, it haunts you for 4-5 years. I need to go look at the actual numbers over the last few years. Funny that Idaho seems to be rebounding after years of enrollment struggles. Will be interesting to watch - Pullman continues to throw up apartment complexes right and left. At what point does this bite the town and developers in the butt, much like back in the 70's/80's(?) when enrollment stagnated.
Regarding Idaho...goes hand in hand with their population growth.

This admin has focused wayyy too much on branch campuses and the idea of "one WSU" instead of improving the needs in Pullman.

Sixty percent of college grads now are female. Think of the challenge this has on a program like WSU in the future as the dwindling supply of alumni who care about football and that impact on raising funds and bolstering season ticket sales.

Reactions: 79COUG
This admin has focused wayyy too much on branch campuses and the idea of "one WSU" instead of improving the needs in Pullman.
Not sure where you read that one, but WSU has basically zero focus on branch campuses. Its all about Pullman. Spokane has benefited from the focus on the med school...but the system doesn't give a rats ass about the branch campuses. The "One WSU" concept is just their way to make sure that all the money and all the decisions go through Pullman

1. My daughters a Senior. She can go to U of I cheaper then WSU as a Wa State resident. The room and board at WSU is about 15-20% more.

2. Not sure how serious gu is about going into the BIg12 when you consider the impact on all of their sports but that’s a good basketball conference, even without Texas and Oklahoma.
If the PAC added SDSU and gu for hoops that would make more sense to me if the conference cares at all about basketball.

Not sure where you read that one, but WSU has basically zero focus on branch campuses. Its all about Pullman. Spokane has benefited from the focus on the med school...but the system doesn't give a rats ass about the branch campuses. The "One WSU" concept is just their way to make sure that all the money and all the decisions go through Pullman
I'm talking about how ever since they've rolled out this plan, things have generally headed south. Seems to have deemphasized the notion of really pushing students to Pullman, and just "get your degree at any campus." https://strategy.wsu.edu/strategic-plan/one-wsu/

Schulz has been in Pullman since 2016. Outside of the Covid year (which he gets a pass, as does everyone), what has he exactly done to really improve the university? No one was going to replace Floyd, but it certainly doesn't feel like there's been much progress forward.

I'm talking about how ever since they've rolled out this plan, things have generally headed south. Seems to have deemphasized the notion of really pushing students to Pullman, and just "get your degree at any campus." https://strategy.wsu.edu/strategic-plan/one-wsu/

Schulz has been in Pullman since 2016. Outside of the Covid year (which he gets a pass, as does everyone), what has he exactly done to really improve the university? No one was going to replace Floyd, but it certainly doesn't feel like there's been much progress forward.
The language at that link is intentionally misleading. There’s never been a distinction between degrees based on campus. Whether it’s from Spokane, Tri-Cities, or Pullman, they’re all WSU degrees. Including that as a selling point is laughable - something they inserted to sound good beside the other language that says - reading between the lines - that the whole system will move ahead and operate based on decisions made in Pullman, by Pullman, for Pullman.

The part that it doesn’t mention is the financial model - each campus must get its funding primarily through its own tuition dollars and research grants. Except Pullman, who levies fees against every dollar the other campuses receive. It guarantees that the branch campuses can’t reach a point of delivering full services, because they can never be fully funded.

The part that it doesn’t mention is the financial model - each campus must get its funding primarily through its own tuition dollars and research grants. Except Pullman, who levies fees against every dollar the other campuses receive. It guarantees that the branch campuses can’t reach a point of delivering full services, because they can never be fully funded.
Um, there is also the massive state funding that I'm sure gets doled out to the branch campuses as well as kept in Pullman.

WSU and enrollment. 3 years in a row of declines? Although once you enroll a small class, it haunts you for 4-5 years. I need to go look at the actual numbers over the last few years. Funny that Idaho seems to be rebounding after years of enrollment struggles.

Wonder if it's because WSU is much more difficult to get academically accepted to as opposed to Idaho, Idaho State and Boise State?

Schulz has been in Pullman since 2016. Outside of the Covid year (which he gets a pass, as does everyone), what has he exactly done to really improve the university?

1. Getting close to breaking ground on the IPF

2. Five winning football seasons in seven years

3. Hired Kyle Smith and elevated CJD

Hey Chop - there is more to a Tier 1 research university than sports. And Shulz had nothing to do with most of the recent winning FB seasons. Elson Floyd and Bill Moos hired Mike Leach (RIP Elson and Mike).

Is that true vs UofI?
Shit - as long as your knuckles don't scrape the ground you can get into any of Idaho's universities and colleges. Or have less than 3 wives in the case of BYU-Idaho. I am skeptical of the recent post of UI being cheaper than WSU for an out of state (Washington) resident. Would like to see the math on that.

• Haha
Reactions: PeteTheChop

1. "Getting close"? That should already be done. Sorry.
2. Also allowed a hire of a bad coach.
3. Sure.

As Loyal stated, there's more to a T1 university than sports. My specific question was related to the academic side.

Um, there is also the massive state funding that I'm sure gets doled out to the branch campuses as well as kept in Pullman.
The state funding that gets doled out - and “massive” is not an adjective I’d use - gets doled via Pullman. They decide how much goes to the branches, after they take their cut.

Hey Chop - there is more to a Tier 1 research university than sports. And Shulz had nothing to do with most of the recent winning FB seasons. Elson Floyd and Bill Moos hired Mike Leach (RIP Elson and Mike).

As Loyal stated, there's more to a T1 university than sports.

My apologies guys 😕

As far as academics, WSU is one of the best on the West Coast according to the rankings. So the president is at least maintaining the status quo on that part of the equation.

Maybe any drops in enrollment to which Loyal Coug1 referred are due to Schultz telling folks in admissions to be even more selective

My apologies guys 😕

As far as academics, WSU is one of the best on the West Coast according to the rankings. So the president is at least maintaining the status quo on that part of the equation.

Maybe any drops in enrollment to which Loyal Coug1 referred are due to Schultz telling folks in admissions to be even more selective

I don't know that I buy into the selectivity thing. Part of it is related to COVID response. Lots of folks are bitter that WSU was too liberal in their response and people are dumb when it comes to politics. People expected UW to be liberal so the backlash is not as pronounced. I wouldn't be surprised to see that some of Idaho's increased enrollment is people from Eastern Washington.

Part of it was probably Leach leaving WSU and reducing our national profile. Football is the front porch of the university.

Cost is undoubtedly a factor. I enjoyed my time at WSU but when my daughter was looking at WSU (before choosing Colorado School of Mines), I had been recommending that she give the University of Kansas the hardest look. She could have gone to KU without taking out scholarships. Not the case with WSU.

The One WSU concept, eliminate duplicative overhead structures and stream-line operations across the system.

The One WSU concept, eliminate duplicative overhead structures and stream-line operations across the system.
Except that it doesn't eliminate duplication and doesn't streamline. It creates bigger problems because it forces Pullman solutions to be applied to campuses with different conditions and circumstances. It tries to centralize operations, but what it does is centralize decisions. People trying to work on the branch campuses aren't allowed to make decisions that work for that campus, they have to wait for someone in Pullman to announce what should be done...but issues on branch campuses are not - and never have been - a priority to Pullman.

Reactions: HCoug
Shit - as long as your knuckles don't scrape the ground you can get into any of Idaho's universities and colleges. Or have less than 3 wives in the case of BYU-Idaho. I am skeptical of the recent post of UI being cheaper than WSU for an out of state (Washington) resident. Would like to see the math on that.
Be careful now. I was just looking up some stuff on tuition exchanges and one site was comparing a lot of stuff between UI and WSU. They say that SAT scores for entering students at UI was 22 points HIGHER for UI than WSU. I was surprised.

At least WSU grads earned more after graduation.

***Edited to change sat to say, and AT to At. Sorry for failure to proof before hitting "Post" button.

Last edited:
WTH are you smoking? Go look at the Executive listing. More VP's than in history. A Pullman Chancellor. More top heavy than ever. What a joke.

WTH are you smoking? Go look at the Executive listing. More VP's than in history. A Pullman Chancellor. More top heavy than ever. What a joke.
Top heavy also due to DIE staffs making big money. What a joke. We are all being fleeced by DIE and most don't gave a damn enough to complain to representatives.

Reactions: HCoug
Gonzaga knows Few's days before retirement are numbered, and that paying rock bottom pricing for HOF coaching is coming to an end. Good luck replicating that with whoever comes next.

Diversity, Inclusion, Equity.

DIE.

That is the result for the institution following those nutty ideas.
Thus our lagging enrollment and decreasing academic student quality. Although frankly, despite that I liked and respected Floyd, he started us down this path. I was there.....

GU joining the Big 12 will be the beginning of their fall from national prominence. They won’t be able to tolerate all the additional loses they will pile up in Conference play alone. That fan base would be howling with an 18-12 record. Keep the gravy train going by staying in the WCC. It’s not rocket science.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
GU joining the Big 12 will be the beginning of their fall from national prominence. They won’t be able to tolerate all the additional loses they will pile up in Conference play alone. That fan base would be howling with an 18-12 record. Keep the gravy train going by staying in the WCC. It’s not rocket science.

Gonzaga joining the Big 12 would absolutely be a disaster for the Zags.

Wichita State was a juggernaut when they were in the Missouri Valley. 30 win seasons had become common and they got used to NCAA appearances including one Final Four. They switched to the AAC and it's been pretty bumpy since then.

Gonzaga is more well established than the Shockers but the grind of the Big 12 would wreck them pretty quickly.

Gonzaga joining the Big 12 would absolutely be a disaster for the Zags.

Wichita State was a juggernaut when they were in the Missouri Valley. 30 win seasons had become common and they got used to NCAA appearances including one Final Four. They switched to the AAC and it's been pretty bumpy since then.

Gonzaga is more well established than the Shockers but the grind of the Big 12 would wreck them pretty quickly.
Utah had a bumpy transition to the P12 but they've climbed to the top of the conference quietly. They were a juggernaut in the Mountain West. Mark Few retiring would signal the end of Gonzaga if they remain in the WCC. No way they find another coach of his caliber who wants to stay in the WCC forever. Move up to the B12 or any power conference, they'll see a bump in talent and will be better prepared for the tournament. More losses but it'll be easy to replace the HC when he retires.

Utah had a bumpy transition to the P12 but they've climbed to the top of the conference quietly. They were a juggernaut in the Mountain West. Mark Few retiring would signal the end of Gonzaga if they remain in the WCC. No way they find another coach of his caliber who wants to stay in the WCC forever. Move up to the B12 or any power conference, they'll see a bump in talent and will be better prepared for the tournament. More losses but it'll be easy to replace the HC when he retires.

I agree that Gonzaga needs a tougher conference then WCC, but disagree that it needs to be Big 12, etc.

The MWC, would be the next logical step for GU.

If GU were to join the MWC, with BYU or BYU level team also joining the MWC, the MWC, would be pretty damn good, almost as good as a P5, in basketball.

And future coaches would look at the MWC and GU as even more appetizing. And GU would have a TOUGHER CONFERENCE SCHEDULE, without it being TOO TOUGH like a P5. And they still would win about 25 to 30 games, and only have about 3,4,5,6 losses.

The MWC is where GU belongs, they just can't see that, and won't ask the MWC to join the MWC.

I agree that Gonzaga needs a tougher conference then WCC, but disagree that it needs to be Big 12, etc.

The MWC, would be the next logical step for GU.

If GU were to join the MWC, with BYU or BYU level team also joining the MWC, the MWC, would be pretty damn good, almost as good as a P5, in basketball.

And future coaches would look at the MWC and GU as even more appetizing. And GU would have a TOUGHER CONFERENCE SCHEDULE, without it being TOO TOUGH like a P5. And they still would win about 25 to 30 games, and only have about 3,4,5,6 losses.

The MWC is where GU belongs, they just can't see that, and won't ask the MWC to join the MWC.

UNLV vs Gonzaga conference game, every season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT