ADVERTISEMENT

WSU milking students...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
Daughter was informed by math prof today "Oh, btw, the access code for your online module expires today. You'll need to pay $115.00 to continue the course online."
Question Mr. Professor, if we were doing in-person classes, would we have to pay for this module? Answer...no.

79, is this a product of lost revenue that colleges are facing because many kids are no longer staying in dormitories, eating in the cafeteria, etc.

Really seems like a tough situation for parents having to foot the bill for the 2020 "virtual university" experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: metprof
79, is this a product of lost revenue that colleges are facing because many kids are no longer staying in dormitories, eating in the cafeteria, etc.

Really seems like a tough situation for parents having to foot the bill for the 2020 "virtual university" experience?
It very well could be, pete. As my extremely pragmatic daughter says, "Tell me again what tuition is paying for?"

Daughter was informed by math prof today "Oh, btw, the access code for your online module expires today. You'll need to pay $115.00 to continue the course online."
Question Mr. Professor, if we were doing in-person classes, would we have to pay for this module? Answer...no.
Things like this were supposed to be avoided. What course is it?

Yeah, I got that in your first message. I can make a general inquiry, but would be easier if I knew which course. Which instructor would be even better, but I don't know my kid's teacher's names, so don't really expect anyone to know a college-aged child's math prof.

Yeah, I got that in your first message. I can make a general inquiry, but would be easier if I knew which course. Which instructor would be even better, but I don't know my kid's teacher's names, so don't really expect anyone to know a college-aged child's math prof.
I'll find out.

Math 103 Jesus Lopez

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://news.wsu.edu/2020/09/14/hands-learning-distance/

This link is to an article referenced in the latest WSU College of Engineering newsletter. The article describes how that department is using grant money distributed by the Provost to protect students from some of the costs of “distance learning.”

It seems like the math class online access cost should likewise be covered by Provost grant funds, if not covered by the recent tuition increase.

Math 103 Jesus Lopez
So, it looks like this is on the instructor. He picked a textbook that came with its own online modules, and that's what the payment is for. It's probably going to the publisher, not the university.
His answer that it wouldn't be required if classes were face to face, while accurate, doesn't tell the full story. It wouldn't be required if he'd picked a different book, or maybe even if your daughter took it from a different instructor.

There are 22 sections of Math 103. I’d be very tempted to see if I could switch to a different one. Failing that, I’d complain to the math department and/or the provost’s office about the instructor selecting a book with additional fees, and then not informing anyone of the fees until the 4th week of classes.
But do it quickly. Tuesday the 22nd is the last day to drop without record.

So, it looks like this is on the instructor. He picked a textbook that came with its own online modules, and that's what the payment is for. It's probably going to the publisher, not the university.
His answer that it wouldn't be required if classes were face to face, while accurate, doesn't tell the full story. It wouldn't be required if he'd picked a different book, or maybe even if your daughter took it from a different instructor.

There are 22 sections of Math 103. I’d be very tempted to see if I could switch to a different one. Failing that, I’d complain to the math department and/or the provost’s office about the instructor selecting a book with additional fees, and then not informing anyone of the fees until the 4th week of classes.
Yeah, I think most of us have been there - when it comes to fees, you're more than likely S.O.L. The only remedy (according to the school) is the drop or switch, which is a pain of course.

Sorry, man. Sucks.

Yeah, I think most of us have been there - when it comes to fees, you're more than likely S.O.L. The only remedy (according to the school) is the drop or switch, which is a pain of course.

Sorry, man. Sucks.
Under normal circumstances, I’d probably agree. But there is a great deal of sensitivity right now about avoiding increasing costs to students.

Wow, great info. Thank you! I'll talk with her tonight.

Spoke with her last night. Unfortunately she already had to make the payment so she's kinda stuck. Thanks again 95, appreciate the information.

Spoke with her last night. Unfortunately she already had to make the payment so she's kinda stuck. Thanks again 95, appreciate the information.
I’d suggest that she express her concern to the provost’s office anyway, and get this on their radar. That way they can take a closer look at the issue for any classes that are still online in the spring, and force faculty to find resources that don’t cost extra.

Might be pretty easy, the provost’s office just put out a student survey a couple days ago. It should be in her e-mail, or accessible in her my.WSU account.

I’d suggest that she express her concern to the provost’s office anyway, and get this on their radar. That way they can take a closer look at the issue for any classes that are still online in the spring, and force faculty to find resources that don’t cost extra.

Might be pretty easy, the provost’s office just put out a student survey a couple days ago. It should be in her e-mail, or accessible in her my.WSU account.
Cool, thanks 95. I'll forward this info on to her.

The first think that came to mind for me when I read the title of this thread is this.

Reactions: SDCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT