ADVERTISEMENT

WSU-OSU Top 25 showdown nears sell-out

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Good news per Brand X

Even with the national broadcast on FOX, "WSU had less than 1,000 tickets remaining as of Monday for Saturday's game, WSU SID Bill Stevens said.

The game is “trending towards a sellout,” Mr. Stevens said.

Martin Stadium environment should be insane Saturday afternoon!

Let's hope it's as rock'n and loud as Wisconsin. Truly made a difference with how load the stadium was, especially to the opposing visiting team. Question? Will the students boo the Beavers?

Also, the bumper to bumper traffic from Pullman to Colfax after the game is way over an hour, just to get to Colfax. It might even be longer, due to the amount of Beaver fans making the trip.....and trying to feed out to Highway 26 or 195.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteTheChop
Question? Will the students boo the Beavers?

With WSU and OSU now partnering with their tandem GameDay flags, the two land grant giants may have built the West Coast's friendliest rivalry.

@Flatlandcoug would know, but haven't Kansas State and Iowa State developed the same kind of symbiotic relationship in the Big 12?

Dr. Schultz may be looking to build something similar with the Cougs and Beavs

Let's hope it's as rock'n and loud as Wisconsin. Truly made a difference with how load the stadium was, especially to the opposing visiting team. Question? Will the students boo the Beavers?

Also, the bumper to bumper traffic from Pullman to Colfax after the game is way over an hour, just to get to Colfax. It might even be longer, due to the amount of Beaver fans making the trip.....and trying to feed out to Highway 26 or 195.
Take the turnoff to Klemgard park, if you don't mind a little gravel. You come out a good 5 miles past Colfax.

Oh and did you mean bone the Beavs?

Reactions: ATACFD
Take the turnoff to Klemgard park, if you don't mind a little gravel. You come out a good 5 miles past Colfax.
Don't turn onto the gravel to Klemgard, keep going until you come to the grain elevators. Turn right and keep following pas the turn off to the dam until you come to a paved left hand turn after coming down a steep hill. Comes out the same place on 26.

But it does require a left turn onto 26, and with that much traffic ..... But then again, if its mostly Spokane traffic, it might not be that bad.

Don't turn onto the gravel to Klemgard, keep going until you come to the grain elevators. Turn right and keep following pas the turn off to the dam until you come to a paved left hand turn after coming down a steep hill. Comes out the same place on 26.

But it does require a left turn onto 26, and with that much traffic ..... But then again, if its mostly Spokane traffic, it might not be that bad.
Come to the grain elevators does not exactly narrow it down in Whitman County. And you mean take a left not a right. Right will take you to Palouse. Is that by the Llama farm?

Been a while since I've been that way. Or you could head out past the Hinrichs Garb plant and hit the road to the dam, etc. A little out of the way but smooth sailing. As you say, ends up in the same place on Hiway 26.

With WSU and OSU now partnering with their tandem GameDay flags, the two land grant giants may have built the West Coast's friendliest rivalry.

@Flatlandcoug would know, but haven't Kansas State and Iowa State developed the same kind of symbiotic relationship in the Big 12?

It’s “Farmageddon” and it’s pretty similar

Reactions: PeteTheChop

Come to the grain elevators does not exactly narrow it down in Whitman County. And you mean take a left not a right. Right will take you to Palouse. Is that by the Llama farm?

Been a while since I've been that way. Or you could head out past the Hinrichs Garb plant and hit the road to the dam, etc. A little out of the way but smooth sailing. As you say, ends up in the same place on Hiway 26.
Really wish you guys would stop inviting people to my short cut. Now go back and tell them how many deer are on that road, especially in the evening, so they don’t mess with my quick getaway.

I wish we had thousands of people from on this board take your shortcut. Unfortunately, there are not thousands of die hard WazzuWatchers' here, and two......most live in other directions and routes. Even the popular cut through the Colfax Airport, isn't really ever congested, or backed up, but now....the Colfax hospital locks their public doors sometimes, or closes early....so you can't use their nice and shiny facilities...

I wish we had thousands of people from on this board take your shortcut. Unfortunately, there are not thousands of die hard WazzuWatchers' here, and two......most live in other directions and routes. Even the popular cut through the Colfax Airport, isn't really ever congested, or backed up, but now....the Colfax hospital locks their public doors sometimes, or closes early....so you can't use their nice and shiny facilities...
Never even occurred to me to use the hospital facilities. But I usually get dinner after a game and use the restaurant’s.

Never even occurred to me to use the hospital facilities. But I usually get dinner after a game and use the restaurant’s.
The hospital is a gem, especially if you have your wife, or family with you. Their facilities will get you brownie points over Sani-Can options!

The hospital is a gem, especially if you have your wife, or family with you. Their facilities will get you brownie points over Sani-Can options!
Well, stopping at all should earn me points. When I drive it alone, the trip is 2:20 nonstop. When the family comes, add a half hour and 2 stops.

Not sure why none of them can go more than 45 minutes without springing a leak.

The Dusty rest stop is a right of passage! Part of the experience!

I can promise you that us students will be booing the Beavs. Sure, we’re friends right now due to circumstances out of our control, but they’re the enemy and we’re going to war in a massive game Saturday. I like the Beavs, but I’m tired of only hearing about them as being the potential spoiler in the conference this year all off-season without a peep about us. Time to earn our respect. 31-17 Cougs.

Last edited:

They should take the about Midway between Steptoe and Colfax shortcut that goes to Pullman if don't go to Tekoa, Palouse, etc.

I don't remember exactly where the turn off is, but as your going south past Steptoe, and past the Steptoe butte turn off, on the Steptoe to Colfax HWY, take a left turn.

You know your on the shortcut, if you see a OLD but AWESOME looking architecture BARN.

It's a can't miss landmark, because it doesn't look like any of the other barns out there.

Also at some point on the short cut, after going down hill and either into or nearby a small semi copse forest of Pine Trees, you'll have the option of going to either Tekoa, Pullman, Palouse, etc, fork, just take the appropriate sign, direction.

So can use the shortcut to get to the game, and then use the same Shortcut when leaving the game, to avoid going the main way to the Colfax HWY.

They should take the about Midway between Steptoe and Colfax shortcut that goes to Pullman if don't go to Tekoa, Palouse, etc.

I don't remember exactly where the turn off is, but as your going south past Steptoe, and past the Steptoe butte turn off, on the Steptoe to Colfax HWY, take a left turn.

You know your on the shortcut, if you see a OLD but AWESOME looking architecture BARN.

It's a can't miss landmark, because it doesn't look like any of the other barns out there.

Also at some point on the short cut, after going down hill and either into or nearby a small semi copse forest of Pine Trees, you'll have the option of going to either Tekoa, Pullman, Palouse, etc, fork, just take the appropriate sign, direction.

So can use the shortcut to get to the game, and then use the same Shortcut when leaving the game, to avoid going the main way to the Colfax HWY.

My family has used this short cut for YEARS to visit my both my grandfather in Palouse(passed away), and my Grandfather's(passed away) that lived nearby the Palouse to Moscow road near Viola, about 3000 acre wheat farm(farm sadly not run by anybody in family now, and run by a corporate farming conglomerate that gives family a share of the profits that gets put into a family trust.(MISS THAT FARM, My Grandfather, the combines, wheat trucks, wheat showers, etc, we as kids took(Good Memories)

I can promise you that us students will be booing the Beavs. Sure, we’re friends right now due to circumstances out of our country, but they’re the enemy and we’re going to war in a massive game Saturday. I like the Beavs, but I’m tired of only hearing about them as being the potential spoiler in the conference this year all off-season without a peep about us. Time to earn our respect. 31-17 Cougs.
I don’t blame anyone for feeling that way. Like I said I want to run them out of the stadium and you’ll have a hard time finding someone louder than me when OSU has the ball. that makes a far bigger impact than booing them before the game anyways.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I don’t blame anyone for feeling that way. Like I said I want to run them out of the stadium and you’ll have a hard time finding someone louder than me when OSU has the ball. that makes a far bigger impact than booing them before the game anyways.
I've often mentioned a thought experiment to some of my football buddies. When I played football, and the former college players I know, booing just pumps you up. What if there was absolutely no response when the opponent came onto the field? What if the fans in the stadium took no more notice of the opponent than the trainers and equipment managers setting up?

I heard a good quote--can't remember where--but the opposite of love is not hate, but apathy. Complete apathy of OSU coming onto the field would hurt more than any booing.

/endsophistry

I predict muddled / mixed responses in all respects. Some booing the Beavs, some not, some overt signs of support (even a smattering of applause from some of our fans for them in intros), some not. You know, how this stuff usually works when opinions vary, leading to a muddled approach overall. Will be a good and lively crowd, though. Just a greater number of Beavs than Badgers and a little less of ambiguous hatred for the visitors.

KSU and ISU used to have a good relationship. Iowa State fans take their support of the Cyclones really seriously and although they aren't elitist fans, they have a "we are better fans than you!" attitude that they throw at everyone. They carry signs that say, "Hilton South" when they play in the Big 12 tournament in Kansas City and they make sure that everyone knows how much they support their mediocre programs. I'm jealous that their fans are so engaged....but the two schools do not see themselves as brethren right now.

I predict muddled / mixed responses in all respects. Some booing the Beavs, some not, some overt signs of support (even a smattering of applause from some of our fans for them in intros), some not. You know, how this stuff usually works when opinions vary, leading to a muddled approach overall. Will be a good and lively crowd, though. Just a greater number of Beavs than Badgers and a little less of ambiguous hatred for the visitors.
I’d expect the same. Again I have no issue if the guy beside me wants to boo. I get it. I just don’t personally feel right doing it, these kids and coaches are F’d with not knowing their futures like ours are. Once the ball kicks off though, it’s game on

Reactions: 425cougfan
I've often mentioned a thought experiment to some of my football buddies. When I played football, and the former college players I know, booing just pumps you up. What if there was absolutely no response when the opponent came onto the field? What if the fans in the stadium took no more notice of the opponent than the trainers and equipment managers setting up?

I heard a good quote--can't remember where--but the opposite of love is not hate, but apathy. Complete apathy of OSU coming onto the field would hurt more than any booing.

/endsophistry
We did some thing similar to the fuskkes in bball. We were all “reading“ an Evergreen when they came out.

We did some thing similar to the fuskkes in bball. We were all “reading“ an Evergreen when they came out.
Did it work?

But I think it only works if it really comes across as genuine disinterest. Feigned boredom is obvious and they know it why you are doing it.

I remember those days. Staff would put an Evergreen on every student seat in the lower deck, and they would sit there and "read it" during the other team's intro. Hilarious. Good times back then. Like us beating the mutts 7 games in a row and beating Gonzaga 2 years in a row. Bennett years.

/endsophistry

I remember a line from a crappy movie (don't remember the movie, just the line) where the female lead told the guy who'd dumped her something like "I don't hate you. I don't care enough about you to hate you. I nothing you." I immediately thought...damn, that really is worse than hate.

So in that vein, if it was practical, what we should do is have the opponent run into an empty stadium. We don't even care enough to show up when they take the field (and of course, we'd have to lock out their fans too).

Reactions: Suudy

/endsophistry
Also...on the thought experiment:

I've wondered for years specifically about "icing the kicker." Every coach does it - they always call the timeout, sometimes two - before a kick at the end of the game. It's so common, I think the kicker probably expects it, and maybe counts on it. So...what if you don't call timeout? Cut short the time he has to get warmed up. Cut short the time he has to calm himself down. He thinks you're going to give him another minute or two. So don't. Make him come out and just do it.

I really think that kicker is not going to get himself mentally ready. He's going to go through his paces, he's going to step off his stride and get himself set, and the whole time he's going to think you're going to call timeout as soon as he's ready. His head will be full of "when's he going to call timeout?" Same with the long snapper and the holder. And then they'll be surprised when you don't, and the snap comes, and he has to kick.

I don't really think icing works anyway, but it's such a part of the game that I think not calling the timeout will lead to more mistakes than calling it does.

Reactions: Coug90

I've wondered for years specifically about "icing the kicker." Every coach does it - they always call the timeout, sometimes two - before a kick at the end of the game. It's so common, I think the kicker probably expects it, and maybe counts on it. So...what if you don't call timeout? Cut short the time he has to get warmed up. Cut short the time he has to calm himself down. He thinks you're going to give him another minute or two. So don't. Make him come out and just do it.

I really think that kicker is not going to get himself mentally ready. He's going to go through his paces, he's going to step off his stride and get himself set, and the whole time he's going to think you're going to call timeout as soon as he's ready. His head will be full of "when's he going to call timeout?" Same with the long snapper and the holder. And then they'll be surprised when you don't, and the snap comes, and he has to kick.

I don't really think icing works anyway, but it's such a part of the game that I think not calling the timeout will lead to more mistakes than calling it does.
100% with you on this re icing the kicker. Have thought about that a lot myself. I would be tempted to just never do it, personally, and I certainly would at least not do it when it was expected sometimes. If I was the kicker, I'd love to have time out there to visualize the kick, get a practice kick in, etc. Has always seemed to me a lot harder to have to rush in there and to just let it fly with time pressure, even when not excessive.

Reactions: Coug90
100% with you on this re icing the kicker. Have thought about that a lot myself. I would be tempted to just never do it, personally, and I certainly would at least not do it when it was expected sometimes. If I was the kicker, I'd love to have time out there to visualize the kick, get a practice kick in, etc. Has always seemed to me a lot harder to have to rush in there and to just let it fly with time pressure, even when not excessive.
I'd even stand over on the sideline next to the line judge, so the kicker can see me and be absolutely convinced that I'm calling the timeout...and then not do it. If he's surprised when the ball is snapped, he's not making the kick.

I'd even stand over on the sideline next to the line judge, so the kicker can see me and be absolutely convinced that I'm calling the timeout...and then not do it. If he's surprised when the ball is snapped, he's not making the kick.
Have all 11 guys on defense stand up and put their hands in the air like they are about to call timeout. Shank city.

Reactions: 425cougfan

Some deep analysis on this topic. Turns out it does work, but there is a lot of detail behind the practice.

Well, with the rule changes this year, no more taking 3 timeouts in a row to ice the kicker.

I can promise you that us students will be booing the Beavs. Sure, we’re friends right now due to circumstances out of our control, but they’re the enemy and we’re going to war in a massive game Saturday. I like the Beavs, but I’m tired of only hearing about them as being the potential spoiler in the conference this year all off-season without a peep about us. Time to earn our respect. 31-17 Cougs.
Count on having some solidarity kumbaya moments with the Beavs BEFORE the opening kickoff. Nothing after that until after the final whistle when we will politely applaud them leaving after their loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT