ADVERTISEMENT

WSU vs usc. 2017

uw's defensive talent in general, and defensive line talent in particular has been remarkable. I think that's coming to an end this season. But we'll see.

There will no doubt be a drop off, however the biggest change for the Huskies going forward is that will be playing a more difficult schedule.

Not sure enough can be made of how ridiculously easy their schedule was last year. Washington had zero wins against teams that finished in the the Top 25. ZERO. (WSU had 3)

They actually have some hurdles for the first time this season > Auburn in Atlanta , Oregon & UCLA in back to back road games. Having some stress during the season can change the mental/physical state of that team before they get to the last game against WSU.

This is what 425 is referring too for anyone that is confused.
What was the term lollipops and unicorns ? If wsu was any other school their coach would get scorched for our past three or four performances .

So you don’t get confused , we have probably played two really good quarters of football in the Apple cup since 2007. That observation includes wullf. I don’t think the observation of having no emotion and no sense of urgency isn’t an unfair observation .

Does this detract or put leach in some sort of hot seat ? Nope . But I get anyone’s frustration with the Apple cup performances over the last 9 years

What was the term lollipops and unicorns ? If wsu was any other school their coach would get scorched for our past three or four performances .

So you don’t get confused , we have probably played two really good quarters of football in the Apple cup since 2007. That observation includes wullf. I don’t think the observation of having no emotion and no sense of urgency isn’t an unfair observation .

Does this detract or put leach in some sort of hot seat ? Nope . But I get anyone’s frustration with the Apple cup performances over the last 9 years

This is what 425 was referring to also.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I've given close to 100k to WSU as I give 5k every year since I've been out of school + the CAF donations. And that doesn't include my tuition that I paid. If you add that I am over 100k to WSU.

I don't believe you. But since WSU's donor list includes lifetime gifts over $50,000, go ahead and post your real name and I'll look you up.

If you are telling the truth, I am impressed that you could afford to give $5,000/year starting the year you got out of college. Kinda surprised that an apparently rich guy like you has nothing better to do than hang out with us lowlifes and do all that research and analysis and copy/pastes on sports events from over 30 years ago. If I had your apparent money, I'd certainly be out doing something more interesting, and with more interesting people than we have here.

Oh and when I want to reminisce about 1986 WSU Football, I conjure up the USC game. USC - kind of where this thread started, and a good place to resume ignoring you.

All right, I must vent on that just a little more ... I've been getting the expected responses when I tweeted out something similar, citing the blowout losses, the Apple Cup problems, and so on. We're complaining about a WSU team firmly in the mix for conference championships until the last game (or two, in the case of a couple years ago). Let me say that again ... a WSU team, not too long after we all would have given just about anything for a bowl game of any kind, seeing its fans bitch and moan about 9-win years. How do people think WSU has won almost 3/4 of its conference games the past few years, and do they appreciate how freaking meaningful that is, especially when Leach started without much talent in the program? The only schools not to have a "bad" year in the past three are UW, Stanford, USC, and ... WSU. (This assumes we call Utah's 3-6 year in conference last year "bad.") One of those isn't like the others ... WSU has the worst situation in the conference and some of the best overall results. Most coaches go into places with better situations and still fail in the competitive world of Power 5 football.

So what do people really expect? Do they think a WSU coach realistically should be out there beating out UCLA, USC, UW, and Oregon (or even ASU, Cal, Stanford, etc.) for recruits with any regularity? That's not going to happen. If not, how are you supposed to beat those schools when you don't have the same athletes or talent? Better assistants? It's not easy to get them in the first place, and even if you do, what happens when those coaches keep getting poached, as we've seen (even if you hired the right ones in the first place), since other schools have more money and better recruiting situations? Better training? Let me guess, because we have a FOB that was expensive, our kids are getting better training, right? Oh, that's right -- everyone else has the same thing. It's required to stay in the game, it's not a differentiator. Better in-game coaching or scheming? Yeah, that's valuable, but that's only worth so much. Training table? Alkaline water? Pixie dust? How do you take players who aren't as good, in the aggregate, and beat those who are, and who have the same or better level of coaching, facilities, training staffs, and so on? Magic? Every conference win we get should be appreciated, let alone winning almost 3 out of 4 of them in the past few years. I'd love to hear what the realistic expectations are in terms of, at a nuts and bolts level, building a consistent top-25 kind of team at WSU. Good luck.

It's amazing what Price was able to do in the peaks, but other than that, WSU pretty much has been the kind of school that goes 3-8 or 4-7 (or 3-9 or 4-8 in the current era) most years and shows up in a rivalry game once in a while. Yet many people scoff at what Leach has done like it means nothing. To be absolutely clear, we shouldn't be content with Leach's results, and he's not beyond reproach for some of his decisions/behavior, but it's worth quite a bit to have the level of success he's had in the context of the situation at WSU, even if it hasn't been perfect.

Problem with price is his qb’s were so talented he lost then a year early . What would have wsu’s Record been if drew stuck around in 1993 and lead in 98? Play Idaho state instead of cu in 96. They would have one down year from 92 forward to 99. Then the wheels fell off for two years .

I don't believe you. But since WSU's donor list includes lifetime gifts over $50,000, go ahead and post your real name and I'll look you up.

If you are telling the truth, I am impressed that you could afford to give $5,000/year starting the year you got out of college. Kinda surprised that an apparently rich guy like you has nothing better to do than hang out with us lowlifes and do all that research and analysis and copy/pastes on sports events from over 30 years ago. If I had your apparent money, I'd certainly be out doing something more interesting, and with more interesting people than we have here.

Oh and when I want to reminisce about 1986 WSU Football, I conjure up the USC game. USC - kind of where this thread started, and a good place to resume ignoring you.

Well I got my first salary job before I actually attended WSU. I was just 19 years old. Not much, but it was salary, upon graduation I got a nice pay raise as a college graduate at the same place.

If you don't believe me that's that really is of no concern to me. I

I do well for myself but am by no means "rich". Paul Allen is rich. The guys I work for are rich. I have a long way before I become rich, but I am doing just fine. I do plenty of interesting things besides the board. This is what I have open on my second monitor that I flip through while watching the market.

Since you consider yourself a "low life" if you'd like some tips on the market today we are discussing when the market will crash (as we think it will in the next 6 years). How do we know this? Well the banks after creating the housing bubble have done something similar but in another sector. Autos. They basically created a subprime Auto loan market with tons upon tons of defaults coming in. Combine that with tariffs and other things and we may be looking at a significant collapse in the auto industry.

You see all those loans on cars people can't afford are creating defaults which is beginning to flood the market with used cars (which should only go up). More used cars available will lower auto sales. More tariffs increase auto prices...which can affect sales.

So we will be seeing a double whammy on auto manufacturers losing money not only to a glut of default autos, but also a higher manufacturing cost.

So if you want a tip don't buy a car now, wait a few years and they will be a lot of used options that are incredibly cheap. If you have auto stocks I would pull them now and wait for the downturn and buy up some extra cheap.

It was an incredible game and I loved every second of it.

WSU has had some absolutely amazing games under Leach and not a single person bought a ticket to Martin and watched them lose last year. Not a single person..

And yet here we are with people complaining about Moos and then of course idiotic fans like CougEd still hanging around.

WSU’s biggest setback are the morons that don’t know how to appreciate good things.

It’s like some weird version of Pullman (Stockholm) Syndrome where they want the program to be bad and can’t enjoy it when it is good.

I honestly don’t know exactly where it came from but it usually comes from Walden/Wulff lovers.

Beat #5 USC. Just 1 game away from winning the conference against a resurgent UW who is the best they have been in decades...

B*tch...b*tch....b*tch...b*tch..b*tch

Leach takes over a 4 win program wins 9 games twice and 8 wins another. Beats USC twice, Oregon three times, Stanford twice, UCLA at UCLA,

Waaaah waaah waaaah....blah blah blah

Have a beautiful stadium with a stunning football ops building

waaaah waaaah Moos

Nah F*ck you. Something is wrong with you if you think that way. You must be mentally ill or something.

That’s why I am so harsh on here. My patience is run out with people that stupid and obnoxious. You can’t enjoy success? Well if you enjoy misery i’ll dish it to your dumb*ss
Too funny coming from a guy who had firing leach in 2015 on his radar. What have I bitched about leach ? Saying I would like to see a competitive Apple cup? This isn’t Mayberry Opey. You do get how hilarious your comments are, don’t you ? You are a results sort of guy. You want to rid those who don’t share your same attitude and say we weigh down the program , yet when someone says we suck in the Apple cup you are all up in arms .

But I did appreciate the 100k in donations you have given. If you give 5k per year and have been doing so since you graduated , if my math is correct that puts you in the rose bowl era...

What is stunning however you can’t afford 9.95 to keep this board and site alive and you don’t have season tickets .Interesting ...

Too funny coming from a guy who had firing leach in 2015 on his radar. What have I bitched about leach ? Saying I would like to see a competitive Apple cup? This isn’t Mayberry Opey. You do get how hilarious your comments are, don’t you ? You are a results sort of guy. You want to rid those who don’t share your same attitude and say we weigh down the program , yet when someone says we suck in the Apple cup you are all up in arms .

But I did appreciate the 100k in donations you have given. If you give 5k per year and have been doing so since you graduated , if my math is correct that puts you in the rose bowl era...

What is stunning however you can’t afford 9.95 to keep this board and site alive and you don’t have season tickets .Interesting ...

I can afford it. It’s just something I don’t want. I actually do have season tickets although I only use them for myself on typically 2 games per year. The other times I donate them.

I am a results guy and as I explained to you many times before my metric is not the Apple Cup, but sustained success building the program through winning seasons. I am pragmatic about the Apple Cup. Great to win, but not necessary for building the program.

My goal is a decade of winning seasons. Why? Because every year that we win increases the psychology of prospective players wanting to come and play for WSU.

See when Leach was hired a junior prospect never actually saw WSU win more than 4 games all through high school.

Does a great RB kid from LA care about the Apple cup? No.

He cares about playing for a good team. Why travel all the way to Pullman for an at best 4 win team...

Now the scenario is different. Now for the last 3 years a high school player has seen WSU best Stanford twice, USC, Oregon 3 times and have 3 winning seasons in a row...

Would that be good enough for the best RB in Colorado to come to WSU? Yes. Yes it is.

And with that easier ability in recruiting comes an easier time to win games, and an easier time to win the Apple Cup.

CougEd you have nothing but a history of promoting Wulff on here and habitually putting down Leach in the mist bitter of passive aggressive ways continually. That’s your track record and everyone knows it.

I can afford it. It’s just something I don’t want. I actually do have season tickets although I only use them for myself on typically 2 games per year. The other times I donate them.

I am a results guy and as I explained to you many times before my metric is not the Apple Cup, but sustained success building the program through winning seasons. I am pragmatic about the Apple Cup. Great to win, but not necessary for building the program.

My goal is a decade of winning seasons. Why? Because every year that we win increases the psychology of prospective players wanting to come and play for WSU.

See when Leach was hired a junior prospect never actually saw WSU win more than 4 games all through high school.

Does a great RB kid from LA care about the Apple cup? No.

He cares about playing for a good team. Why travel all the way to Pullman for an at best 4 win team...

Now the scenario is different. Now for the last 3 years a high school player has seen WSU best Stanford twice, USC, Oregon 3 times and have 3 winning seasons in a row...

Would that be good enough for the best RB in Colorado to come to WSU? Yes. Yes it is.

And with that easier ability in recruiting comes an easier time to win games, and an easier time to win the Apple Cup.

CougEd you have nothing but a history of promoting Wulff on here and habitually putting down Leach in the mist bitter of passive aggressive ways continually. That’s your track record and everyone knows it.

Couple thoughts ... who put you in charge of the “Metric” people should worry about? There are plenty of programs that get after coaches for not winning their rival games . 96 makes a valid point .. we are not 30 points worse than the Huskies ) For a guy who is results oriented you sure pick and choose what results matter. Results are results .

And your scenario is perfect About “building” if leach has 10 straight winning seasons, but he is the program . So the rb from LA is picking him and his culture, not the school. The next hire could be a option coach for all we know. Could be some lame assistant cause we are financially strapped.

And as evidence by his talking to the likes of Tennessee he is open to have someone lay a bunch of cash at his feet.

Btw glad you finally bought your season tickets . If I remember correctly there was a time when you either didn’t have them or turned them back in.

And getting back to you donations for a moment . Didn’t you say all donations were cut off during the Wulff years? Your donation story almost sounds like wilt chamberlains story of how many women he had sex with .

And please don’t tell me you are in the non emotional side (south) if the stadium .

Not sure why a guy such as yourself is only getting to two games a year. When I was your age (chronicle not emotional ) I believe I attended almost all of them .

Couple thoughts ... who put you in charge of the “Metric” people should worry about? There are plenty of programs that get after coaches for not winning their rival games . 96 makes a valid point .. we are not 30 points worse than the Huskies ) For a guy who is results oriented you sure pick and choose what results matter. Results are results .

And your scenario is perfect About “building” if leach has 10 straight winning seasons, but he is the program . So the rb from LA is picking him and his culture, not the school. The next hire could be a option coach for all we know. Could be some lame assistant cause we are financially strapped.

And as evidence by his talking to the likes of Tennessee he is open to have someone lay a bunch of cash at his feet.

Btw glad you finally bought your season tickets . If I remember correctly there was a time when you either didn’t have them or turned them back in.

And getting back to you donations for a moment . Didn’t you say all donations were cut off during the Wulff years? Your donation story almost sounds like wilt chamberlains story of how many women he had sex with .

And please don’t tell me you are in the non emotional side (south) if the stadium .

Not sure why a guy such as yourself is only getting to two games a year. When I was your age (chronicle not emotional ) I believe I attended almost all of them .

My donations to the athletic department were cut. I would never stop donating to WSU the University.

The only reason I don't go to all the games is because my wife is not the biggest fan of getting the whole family ready to go. throughout the fall. She loves going, but still it is quite a task to take the whole family. I would like the airport upgraded to make it much easier, but it is what it is. So we go only 2 games of the year which we plan in advance.

Last year it was USC and Stanford.
Year before it was Oregon Apple Cup
Before that was Oregon State and Colorado
Before that was I think Apple Cup and USC
before that was Arizona State and somebody I don't remember. it was early like Utah State maybe? Whoever it was we killed them but it was some nobody.
Then it was Eastern and Apple Cup. We also were at the BYU game that year.

in 2011 never went to a game.
in 2010 never went to a game
in 2009 never went to a game.
in 2008 was the last year where we tried to go every year, I went to the opener against Oklahoma State in seattle we were shut out
then I went to the next game against Cal and we were Shut out like 60 to nothing.
then I went to like Eastern or Idaho State (whoever our cupcake was) and we won that.
Then I went to Oregon and we were beat bad.
Then I went to USC and they beat us 69-0 and I told my wife we are never coming back until this shit was fixed.

I don't remember what exactly it was but someone at the game told me we had been outscored something like 350-100 in the first half of the season. I was wasting my money I was furious, my wife was not enjoying herself.

So we didn't come back to Pullman, but the real icer was going to San Francisco on business the very next week and catching the cougs in Palo Alto and watching ANOTHER embarrassing beatdown of like 60 something to 0.

I just remember texting my friend and saying we broke the 400-100 barrier and still have 3 games left.

And that was the last game I actually saw the Cougs play until 2012. We used to go all the time from about 2004 on, but after that 08 season I had no interest in throwing my money away.

My donations to the athletic department were cut. I would never stop donating to WSU the University.

The only reason I don't go to all the games is because my wife is not the biggest fan of getting the whole family ready to go. throughout the fall. She loves going, but still it is quite a task to take the whole family. I would like the airport upgraded to make it much easier, but it is what it is. So we go only 2 games of the year which we plan in advance.

Last year it was USC and Stanford.
Year before it was Oregon Apple Cup
Before that was Oregon State and Colorado
Before that was I think Apple Cup and USC
before that was Arizona State and somebody I don't remember. it was early like Utah State maybe? Whoever it was we killed them but it was some nobody.
Then it was Eastern and Apple Cup. We also were at the BYU game that year.

in 2011 never went to a game.
in 2010 never went to a game
in 2009 never went to a game.
in 2008 was the last year where we tried to go every year, I went to the opener against Oklahoma State in seattle we were shut out
then I went to the next game against Cal and we were Shut out like 60 to nothing.
then I went to like Eastern or Idaho State (whoever our cupcake was) and we won that.
Then I went to Oregon and we were beat bad.
Then I went to USC and they beat us 69-0 and I told my wife we are never coming back until this shit was fixed.

I don't remember what exactly it was but someone at the game told me we had been outscored something like 350-100 in the first half of the season. I was wasting my money I was furious, my wife was not enjoying herself.

So we didn't come back to Pullman, but the real icer was going to San Francisco on business the very next week and catching the cougs in Palo Alto and watching ANOTHER embarrassing beatdown of like 60 something to 0.

I just remember texting my friend and saying we broke the 400-100 barrier and still have 3 games left.

And that was the last game I actually saw the Cougs play until 2012. We used to go all the time from about 2004 on, but after that 08 season I had no interest in throwing my money away.

Yeah I had season tickets for 20 years, and dropped them mid-Wulff tenure. Have gone to at most 1 game a season since.

There is a weird irony in the fact that, of posts that express any sentiment about the direction of the program, 20% are ragging on the program and 80% are ragging on the 20%.

At a certain point we CAN have enough discussion of your feelings on how other people feel.

This.

There is a weird irony in the fact that, of posts that express any sentiment about the direction of the program, 20% are ragging on the program and 80% are ragging on the 20%.

At a certain point we CAN have enough discussion of your feelings on how other people feel.

Well I follow the fight song

Fight, fight, fight for Washington State! Win the victory!

Win the day for Crimson and Gray! Best in the West, we know you'll all do your best, so
On, on, on, on! Fight to the end! Honor and Glory you must win! So
Fight, fight, fight for Washington State and victory!

The fight song is not.

B*tch B*tch B*tch against Washington State! Love the loser waaay!

It will be okay if we just show up and play! Joke of the West, cause you half assed your best, so
On on on on! 9-40 to the end! Listen to Walden's stupid spin! So

B*tch B*tch B*tch against Washington State and be the loser way!

Morrow's will to win and the defensive line giving Darnold hell the 4th quarter. So great.

It took 21 posts, but, man, thanks so much for bringing up Jamal Morrow.

No. 3 in school history for all-purpose yardage and, IMO, could've been a consensus All-American in a different offensive system.

Never will forget those big runs on the game-winning field goal drive against SC.

Or his game-winning TD reception against Boise State.

And all those 3rd- and 4th-down short runs to keep drives alive.

The heart of a champion!

Jamal Morrow: A F***ing GREAT Coug

It took 21 posts, but, man, thanks so much for bringing up Jamal Morrow.

No. 3 in school history for all-purpose yardage and, IMO, could've been a consensus All-American in a different offensive system.

Never will forget those big runs on the game-winning field goal drive against SC.

Or his game-winning TD reception against Boise State.

And all those 3rd- and 4th-down short runs to keep drives alive.

The heart of a champion!

Jamal Morrow: A F***ing GREAT Coug
Probably my favorite Coug in the Leach Era, and on the short list of favorites of all time. If all players had his heart and determiniation, WSU would be unstoppable.

Glad Cougar

Ed,

What are you saying here? This triple negative is confusing. o_O

Ed,

What are you saying here? This triple negative is confusing. o_O
Hmmmm... not playing well in the Apple Cup with a business as usual attitude hasn’t served us well. And I don’t think anyone who expressed concern or disappointment with our performance is being unfair or overly critical.

Hmmmm... not playing well in the Apple Cup with a business as usual attitude hasn’t served us well. And I don’t think anyone who expressed concern or disappointment with our performance is being unfair or overly critical.

Gotcha, thanks.

I'm with CML on this one, though.

All games are big and any "emotional boost" doesn't last much beyond the first quarter.

Now if you're suggesting a strategy tweak for the AC, then that's another matter.

Gotcha, thanks.

I'm with CML on this one, though.

All games are big and any "emotional boost" doesn't last much beyond the first quarter.

Now if you're suggesting a strategy tweak for the AC, then that's another matter.

Well then the counter to the story is horrifying if you ask me. Either we are grossly undermanned and Peterson found a way to exploit that, Peterson is a much better coach than leach , or leach has to change something ie tweak what we do on offense and the last is a non starter. I would much rather put my head in the sand and say it is lack of emotion because that is the easiest to fix .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT