ADVERTISEMENT

WSU's 5 most most significant rivalries?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Interested to hear the CougZone crowd chime in on what seems like a fun topic for discussion during the slow days of summer.

IMO, in order of their ranking:

UW: Clear-cut No. 1 hated rival for both fan bases. Separates families, friends and communities.

UO: Seems like lots of Cougs disdain Mr. Knight's flashy Ducks and their money-spending ways.

Gonzaga: Some WSU fans proudly admit to liking Spokane's own Zags. Others, uh, not so much.

Boise State: Not sure of the deal here, but definitely read a lot of BJC truck-driving jokes on message boards.

Idaho? Oregon State? Eastern? Not certain of who to put at No. 5.

What do y'all think?

Who are Nos. 1 through 5 on your most hated list?

UW is really our only clear cut "rival" in my opinion. If I had to pick the 5 teams that I care the most about beating, it would be:

1) UW - gotta hate those entitled pricks from the wet side
2) UO - as you said, the Nike money has made it easy to hate the Ducks
3) Idaho - not a balanced rivalry, but I was pretty damned mad when they beat us. With them dropping to FCS, they probably disappear.
4) Boise State - I hate to even acknowledge the donkos, but they made themselves relevant and tough to beat. They probably deserve the #3 spot
5) Oregon State - even though the Beavers are kindred spirits in some respects, I just don't like losing to them.

Gonzaga doesn't make my list because I just don't respect them and don't care about them and their success. Of course, when I went to WSU, the Zags were pathetic wannabees hanging onto their glory days of John Stockton and it was just laughable to see them want to be a grown up university. They have a nice little basketball team.....but I just don't care. At the end of the day, I wouldn't put Gonzaga on the list because I care about football a lot more than basketball and Adolph Hitler was still a big deal the last time that they played the sport. F#ck Gonzaga.

No offense to the Eagles, but they don't deserve the respect of being called a rival. One win doesn't make a rivalry.

If Idaho drops off the list, I'd probably say Utah. Maybe it's my memories of the Copper Bowl but I've always really enjoyed when we beat the Utes and kind of been annoyed when we lost.

Last edited:
UW #1, only because I hate Seattle, geographical inbreeding, arrogance, cheating and soyboys.

Oregon #2, because they are "new money," pander to kids with gimmicks (new uniform every twelve hours) and have a surprising number of idiot fans in Washington.

Idahoot #3, just because I had to work with some of their cowtipping grads at SEL in 1999 and 2000. That said, the early 80's B'ball stuff between us and them is legendary...so soft spot there for potatoes.

As for the others, I can't really call it a rivalry situation if they only compete in one shared sport. However, to keep the show going...

Gonzaga #4, because again..."new money." The local fans, outfitted in typical Gonzaga style (Zag shirt + Zag hat + Zag vanity plate on the LaCrosse + white Kirkland tennis shoes), are an especially pungent group. To hear them pontificate about the 'Zags and Mark Few, you'd think they would have whipped any of the storied Big East 80's teams. I'm pretty sure John Blanchette believes that too.

Lastly, Eastern at #5. I actually like the school from a community standpoint, as it serves the needs of the area (as a state school should). But they've embarassed us in football a few times lately, their field gives me headaches and well...CPW.

1). UW. They suck. Seattle is cool to visit, but UW is a dump. Also arrogance is high there.
2) Oregon. Tons of Nike cash, and just nasty rude fans! They pretty much suck too! Plenty
Of arrogance in Eugene too.
3) USC. They wreak of arrogance and it's always too dam funny when we beat them!!
4) ASU. They pretty much suck too. Super nasty fans. Stopped going to games there.
5) UCLA. Beating them is more fun than Idaho or Eastern.

I like the Vandals & Eags. They don't really seem like rivals. I always pull for them in all non- WSU games.
BSU . . . Boring, out of our area, conference, like the Vandals, one team to like in Idaho is enough.
Beavs . . . I'm a fan with our Corvallis bretheren. Like in non-WSU games.
'Furd. . . Good to have around to beat UW. Since we have not been getting it done lately.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
1. UW t-shirt fan with no connection to UW, besides living in Pugetopolis;
2. UPS/PLU/SPU/WWU/Whitman,etc. alum who bleeds purple and might have gone to UW if he/she could have gotten in there/got in there but wanted a smaller college experience;
3. Claremont College alum who's mother went to UW and I only hear from him when we lose to the huskies (is that too specific?);
4. Any Duck fan; and
5. A UW fan who actually went to UW.

UW will always be #1 that should be fairly clear.

Okay now the other 4 that is tricky.

Now what exactly constitutes a rivalry? Is it mutual dislike, is it just something we care about? Really sort of depends on your views.

Now the #2 team I do think is Gonzaga because they are in state canceled our home series and act like they are “too good” to play us. Rivalries usually need reciprocal dislike and Gonzaga looks down on us we don’t like their uppity attitude close proximity in state yeah it’s a rivalry but it is just in Basketball.

Now on to #3 - I would have to say Idaho because of Proximity / history but because of Idaho’s poor athletics it just isn’t fun and really doesn’t have any bitterness from the past competition. It’s like a neighborhood friendly that we feel sorry for these days. I really do with they were strong athletically it would be great for the region but alas this is like a zombie rivalry...it’s dead but it could still be alive too.

#4 I would have to say Boise. Because Boise is a team that WSU fans don’t like because of their sucesss, they are nearby and remote and they are obnoxious. They also like to talk trash and beat teams in bigger/more prestigious conferences so they sort of have an chip on their shoulder attitude and that clashes nicely with our jealous for a PNW rural area proximity.

#5 May surprise some people but I am going to say USC. Now from the other perspective of USC this most certainly is not a "rivalry". UCLA is a rival, Notre Dame, Stanford possibly but not WSU, but I will explain why USC is the hidden rival for WSU.

WSU and USC are about as polar opposites as can be.

USC is a wealthy private school in a massively population center on the coast of the country in sunny warm breezy climate.
WSU is a modestly small public school in a rural and remote part of the country in a cold part of the country

Everything USC is WSU is the exact opposite, and so beating USC not only is a feat of accomplishment for WSU that it loves, but also when it does happen USC is incredibly offended. Furious, and so to me in an observational standpoint USC/WSU is the hidden rivalry that people don't realize exists. It's the classic David vs Goliath, Rich vs Poor, Small town vs Big City, Cold Rural Hills vs Warm Ocean Breeze, Fast Life vs Slower Pace juxtaposition as you can get.

And to show that the game does have ramifications because I think rivalry games have to "mean something" to the programs.

When WSU beat Kiffin in the Coliseum he was fired basically after the next week.
When WSU beat USC last year a USC player basically attacked a WSU fan celebrating.

There is a bitterness that USC has when losing to WSU that other teams don't have, and there is a glee and jubilation exhibited from WSU when it beats USC that usually is only seen when we beat UW. It's there, but rarely talked or focused on.

Oregon/Oregon State are well their own rivalry and while close we have more in common with OSU than just about anybody and kind of root for each other. Oregon we just sort of see as Phil Knights marketing program, and while beating them is wonderful, it just doesn't have the emotional magic that I think is necessary for a rivalry game.

Utah/Colorado/Stanford/Arizona/ASU/Cal - are just there.

But UW/Idaho (at least in the past)/Boise/Gonzaga/USC all really mean something. There is bitterness, resentfulness, close proximity (aside from USC but it is king of juxtaposition) They all bring something to the game on an emotional level.

Beating UW - Obviously in state rivalry bragging rights
Beating Idaho - Neighborly bragging rights
Gonzaga - Neighborly bragging rights
Boise State - Chip on their shoulder vs Jealousy Close Proximity rights
USC - The grand juxtopistion of location, culture, resources

Interested to hear the CougZone crowd chime in on what seems like a fun topic for discussion during the slow days of summer.
... Who are Nos. 1 through 5 on your most hated list?

WSU's biggest rival is its fan base, the biggest bunch of tightwads in the conference. Don't get me wrong. Cougs love their WSU license plates. They love shoutin' out "Go Cougs" when they see passers by with Coug attire. They loved showing up to one Coug "home" game a year back when we played once a year in Seattle.
But they don't put up where it counts.

No. Not for both.

It’s a fun rivalry, but most Huskies cannot possibly hate anyone more than they hate Oregon.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with HHusky. A rivalry has to have a degree of competition and football-wise there hasn't been any recently from us. The sniffers look down on us like we do with Idaho. Oregon is #1 for them as Husky says because the U of O kicked their butts routinely over a stretch. One which may have come to an end.

1. UW
2. UO
3. USC

While #1 will always stay #1, they are all very, very close. (HATE USC's band) After this, meh.
-BSU maybe but I hate lowering myself to their level. Kind of like what HHusky has mentioned about us. It all flows downstream and I hate lowering us to BSU's level.
-Same with Idaho.
-Gonzaga, meh. They're basketball. And even if we were talking basketball, when we get our @ss's kicked regularly, it isn't a rivalry, it's just an @$$ kicking.

WSU's biggest rival is its fan base, the biggest bunch of tightwads in the conference.
WSU's average home attendance in 2017 was better than 97 percent capacity.

Don't all those butts in the seats put Cougar Fans in a pretty good light?

WSU's average home attendance in 2017 was better than 97 percent capacity.

Don't all those butts in the seats put Cougar Fans in a pretty good light?
Spending about $1k for a weekend of football in Pullman isn't what I would call a "tight wad" too. That isn't just the people that stay in a hotel either. Just look at the people who RV it over there. They gotta be spending twice that much in gas, food, passes, tickets, alcohol, general RV expenses etc....... I'm going to be raked over the coals for saying this but, we should most definitely do the Seattle games again. Schedule a patsy to come in and get the fan base charged up. Golden opportunity to help boost donor levels and increase fan base/exposure.

Spending about $1k for a weekend of football in Pullman isn't what I would call a "tight wad" too. That isn't just the people that stay in a hotel either. Just look at the people who RV it over there. They gotta be spending twice that much in gas, food, passes, tickets, alcohol, general RV expenses etc....... I'm going to be raked over the coals for saying this but, we should most definitely do the Seattle games again. Schedule a patsy to come in and get the fan base charged up. Golden opportunity to help boost donor levels and increase fan base/exposure.

When the Seattle game idea was first floated.....it was a good idea. Labor Day weekend, beatable opponent, juice up the west side fans. If we stuck to that and we were playing Nevada in Seattle in our opening game last year, you'd have seen around 50,000 people in the stands and it might have made sense. If nothing else, we wouldn't have had five straight home games to deal with where people were getting worn out by the time it was done. (Blame the Pac-12 for front loading home games on us though).

With the way it was at the end, the Seattle game was a failure. Risking wins for cash, playing conference teams in the middle of the season and losing out on students that might go and just generally screw it up. We don't ever want that again.

When the Seattle game idea was first floated.....it was a good idea.

Speaking of ideas, with Albi Stadium apparently on its last legs, it'd been fun to see WSU play either San Jose State or Eastern at "The Joe" this September.

There were a lot of good memories for Wazzu fans at the old stadium on the northwest side of town (hard to believe 35 years have passed since the last Cougar home game in the Lilac City).

It could have been a welcome gift to the Spokane faithful as opposed to bringing lower-level non-conference teams to Pullman on back-to-back Saturdays.

1). UW. They suck. Seattle is cool to visit, but UW is a dump. Also arrogance is high there.
2) Oregon. Tons of Nike cash, and just nasty rude fans! They pretty much suck too! Plenty
Of arrogance in Eugene too.
3) USC. They wreak of arrogance and it's always too dam funny when we beat them!!
4) ASU. They pretty much suck too. Super nasty fans. Stopped going to games there.
5) UCLA. Beating them is more fun than Idaho or Eastern.

I like the Vandals & Eags. They don't really seem like rivals. I always pull for them in all non- WSU games.
BSU . . . Boring, out of our area, conference, like the Vandals, one team to like in Idaho is enough.
Beavs . . . I'm a fan with our Corvallis bretheren. Like in non-WSU games.
'Furd. . . Good to have around to beat UW. Since we have not been getting it done lately.

Bruce and I share our top 5 for the PAC. In hoops, UW and Gonzaga.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT