ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming - Post Game discussion

Cougatron

Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2012
I thought it was a good win, lots of stuff need to be worked on, but it was still a good win.

Minshew really got much sharper in the second half, and I think his ball placement was spotty in the middle of the game (as well as receivers not helping him out by holding on to the ball) He did great and finished about where I thought he would be 300 yards 3 Tds.

I think Calvin played the best out of the receivers, and Patmon / Winston had some big plays, I think Tay Martin was good when Tay martin played like Tay Martin can play. He can be better, but he was serviceable.

The o-line seemed to block better as the game progressed, and asside from Borghi's fumble I think the backs were great. James Williams had a fantastic game, and Borghi showed all the spark that we had hoped to see.

The special teams screwup with the snap and punt out of bounds really killed the momentum we had earned in the first half, but things seemed to be cleaned up and I didn't see too much that was "bad" on special teams after that horrible lull.

Defensively I think Claey's called an excellent game and really did what I was hoping he would do. Load the box, let our experienced corners make their RS QB suffer/work for it, and that's exactly what he did.

Sean Harper, Strong etc. played great. The only time they got us on the outside was with jet sweeps, and well that's actually good play calling/blocking by them. We need to shed blocks better, but asside from those plays the outside was solid.

Inside Wyoming couldn't do too much, they did have some nice runs up the seams, and I don't know which LB was getting blocked out but when they did break through it was always because the LBs were out positioned and blocked out. The secondary did a nice job of catching things before it got ugly, but you kind of don't want that being your savior, you want the backers to plug those holes.

The DL did a great job. Oguayo, Comfort, Begg, Hobbs all did well, but really Silvels was the guy that really surprised me. He had a hell of game playing Rush and seemed to be everywhere.

A great first game and the Cougs are now 1-0

I thought it was a good win, lots of stuff need to be worked on, but it was still a good win.

Minshew really got much sharper in the second half, and I think his ball placement was spotty in the middle of the game (as well as receivers not helping him out by holding on to the ball) He did great and finished about where I thought he would be 300 yards 3 Tds.

I think Calvin played the best out of the receivers, and Patmon / Winston had some big plays, I think Tay Martin was good when Tay martin played like Tay Martin can play. He can be better, but he was serviceable.

The o-line seemed to block better as the game progressed, and asside from Borghi's fumble I think the backs were great. James Williams had a fantastic game, and Borghi showed all the spark that we had hoped to see.

The special teams screwup with the snap and punt out of bounds really killed the momentum we had earned in the first half, but things seemed to be cleaned up and I didn't see too much that was "bad" on special teams after that horrible lull.

Defensively I think Claey's called an excellent game and really did what I was hoping he would do. Load the box, let our experienced corners make their RS QB suffer/work for it, and that's exactly what he did.

Sean Harper, Strong etc. played great. The only time they got us on the outside was with jet sweeps, and well that's actually good play calling/blocking by them. We need to shed blocks better, but asside from those plays the outside was solid.

Inside Wyoming couldn't do too much, they did have some nice runs up the seams, and I don't know which LB was getting blocked out but when they did break through it was always because the LBs were out positioned and blocked out. The secondary did a nice job of catching things before it got ugly, but you kind of don't want that being your savior, you want the backers to plug those holes.

The DL did a great job. Oguayo, Comfort, Begg, Hobbs all did well, but really Silvels was the guy that really surprised me. He had a hell of game playing Rush and seemed to be everywhere.

A great first game and the Cougs are now 1-0

The DL will continue to be an issue. Hopefully Misi gets cleared and helps.

I was encouraged from what I saw from Minshew. Had some high passes in the first half that may have contributed to that series of drops in the second quarter. But I think Wyoming will prove to be a good test at a time WSU needed one.

Good, tough win. Offense is solid and should only get better.

Lots of issues on the defensive line, and perspective is needed regarding Wyoming’s offense. They have an embarrassingly bad QB and are without skill players to break off big plays.

Season looks more promising now than it did at halftime.

Good road win to start the season. GM and crew really settled down in the second half. It was looking nasty there for a while, but the throws got better, and the WR started making catches. There is a lot to improve upon, but its a W and we are 1-0. I think we did a decent job of mixing in the run and that really opened things up.

Just another thought on QB. Suppose Minshew continues totally solid for the rest of the the year. Next year might be the building year, not this year. I know it wont happen, but I would take full advantage of the new red shirt rule, and get Cooper some snaps going in to next year. He might win the starting job next spring anyway, but if he really is the future lets let him hit the ground running.

I got a little worried the first half, but Minshew looks like a guy who threw 25 tds coming in to this year.

Just another thought on QB. Suppose Minshew continues totally solid for the rest of the the year. Next year might be the building year, not this year. I know it wont happen, but I would take full advantage of the new red shirt rule, and get Cooper some snaps going in to next year. He might win the starting job next spring anyway, but if he really is the future lets let him hit the ground running.

I got a little worried the first half, but Minshew looks like a guy who threw 25 tds coming in to this year.

I don't know about that because we have gordon and Tinsley and Cooper all learning behind Minshew and seeing what he's doing and I think that will rub off on all of them. I think Minshew is a right guy at the right time sort of thing who can really not only make a name for himself but influence future QBs with Energy and leadership.

Remember next year we will have borghi with experience, we'll have Tay Martin, Calvin, Winston, Bell, Patmon, more experience on O-line, I just feel like enough of this team will be here for whoever takes the helm next year with a lot more experience.

I think defensively we will have a lot of great talent emerging too so I just don't see a rebuild coming, if anything this is more of a bridge year to more experience.

Agreed, but we are still looking at going with a QB next year who will have minimal experience. If Cooper is the QB of the future I would still like to see him hit the ground running next year. My guess is he wins the job anyway, but getting 20-30 snaps this year would be great if the opportunity presented itself

I don't know about that because we have gordon and Tinsley and Cooper all learning behind Minshew and seeing what he's doing and I think that will rub off on all of them. I think Minshew is a right guy at the right time sort of thing who can really not only make a name for himself but influence future QBs with Energy and leadership.

Remember next year we will have borghi with experience, we'll have Tay Martin, Calvin, Winston, Bell, Patmon, more experience on O-line, I just feel like enough of this team will be here for whoever takes the helm next year with a lot more experience.

I think defensively we will have a lot of great talent emerging too so I just don't see a rebuild coming, if anything this is more of a bridge year to more experience.[
gordon and tinsley will never see the light of day

Really happy with how the team played. Minshew seemed comfortable getting the ball out quickly. Attacked the middle of the field early and looked good on his shots downfield. O-line looked good.
I feel a lot better about the defensive line. I expect this group to get a lot better as the season rolls along and it's nice to see us starting well. Nnamdi being able to play changes the entire dynamic.
Long snapping didn't go well, but we appear to have non-disastrous punting and fg kicking. Bottom line: feeling a lot better about my 7-5 prediction.

Defense solid. Offense don’t get too cute when the run is working ram it down their gullet. More touches for Borghi. Clean up the drops. Sweet doesn’t need to be returning punts any more plenty of talent better. Use it. Other than that great showing week 1!

As long as Leach is on board, I’m not the least bit concerned about finding talented QBs and OL.

We won’t have to rebuild on offense next season.

Agreed, but we are still looking at going with a QB next year who will have minimal experience. If Cooper is the QB of the future I would still like to see him hit the ground running next year. My guess is he wins the job anyway, but getting 20-30 snaps this year would be great if the opportunity presented itself
Cooper should get some snaps even if it means Tinsley/Gordon are slighted. I really think it's important to take advantage of the new rule. Maybe Cooper isn't #2 or even #3 but he's obviously the future at QB at least at this point.

Cooper should get some snaps even if it means Tinsley/Gordon are slighted. I really think it's important to take advantage of the new rule. Maybe Cooper isn't #2 or even #3 but he's obviously the future at QB at least at this point.
IMO, If Cooper doesn't play next week vs. SJSU, I'm not sure he'll be getting any snaps this season.

Glad Cougar

IMO, If Cooper doesn't play next week vs. SJSU, I'm not sure he'll be getting any snaps this season.

Glad Cougar
If we perform as well as we are able to then I would expect a decent lead after the first quarter ends. That would allow Leach to insert Tinsley, Gordon and Cooper to handle most of the last three quarters. That said, Leach has always been strangely conservative in replacing the QB starter even with a sizable lead. All of this assumes, of course, that San Jose State is as inept as reported.

Defense solid. Offense don’t get too cute when the run is working ram it down their gullet. More touches for Borghi. Clean up the drops. Sweet doesn’t need to be returning punts any more plenty of talent better. Use it. Other than that great showing week 1!
I'm in love with the idea of Williams and Borghi ripping off 25-50 yard gains straight up the gut from their own 20-40 yard line. I think it can happen and be quite the distraction for coaches in upcoming games. It's one thing to assume they'll throw the ball to gain 3-4 yards, but it's another to have to account for RB's capable of pulling off 25-50 yards gains if the Oline proves they can do their job. Open that window of opportunity and it'll be national news.

Reactions: Coug95man2
I'm in love with the idea of Williams and Borghi ripping off 25-50 yard gains straight up the gut from their own 20-40 yard line. I think it can happen and be quite the distraction for coaches in upcoming games. It's one thing to assume they'll throw the ball to gain 3-4 yards, but it's another to have to account for RB's capable of pulling off 25-50 yards gains if the Oline proves they can do their job. Open that window of opportunity and it'll be national news.
Receivers are back to blocking well too. Seemed like that was a problem the last couple of years. That’s how you get gamebreaking runs. They blocked like maniacs yesterday.

Dick Kim

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
The DL will continue to be an issue. Hopefully Misi gets cleared and helps.

I was encouraged from what I saw from Minshew. Had some high passes in the first half that may have contributed to that series of drops in the second quarter. But I think Wyoming will prove to be a good test at a time WSU needed one.

One story suggests the NCAA is looking at his "paperwork" from overseas. Not sure why, because he is a transfer from a JC in California. Either he has his AA or he doesn't. I do know the NCAA in recent years added some new requirements for JC transfers, so maybe that's it. Even Leach says he doesn't understand what the problem is. Of course, had he transferred to USC or UW, he would have played yesterday.

Receivers are back to blocking well too. Seemed like that was a problem the last couple of years. That’s how you get gamebreaking runs. They blocked like maniacs yesterday.

Dick Kim

Or ...
Receivers served pancakes for brunch in Laramie. I like maple syrup. Coug blockers have late dinner in Pullman next game. Where are my keys?

One story suggests the NCAA is looking at his "paperwork" from overseas. Not sure why, because he is a transfer from a JC in California. Either he has his AA or he doesn't. I do know the NCAA in recent years added some new requirements for JC transfers, so maybe that's it. Even Leach says he doesn't understand what the problem is. Of course, had he transferred to USC or UW, he would have played yesterday.

Maybe its a visa issue?

MInshew's pocket awareness was impressive, nice contrast to what we had with Falk. I am no QB coach, but it looked to me like he wasn't finishing those balls that sailed high, like he wasn't steeping all the way through.

I was happy with the punting, besides the botched snap, kid has a leg and looked to have the dead ball kick down pretty good. It was also nice to see the place kicker get some action. Corrected

I can't speak to the d line, I don't know much about how to judge them. Linebackers, I know I saw Peyton overrun more than one offender, which tells me he has some rust to play off.

The secondary wasn't tested, but beyond the one deep pass that was dropped by Ismail , I don't recall anyone getting behind our guys and I even saw at least one time where our db swatted down a ball!

Last edited:
Just a few more things to add to these posts.
Borghi more than Williams is going to be the big hitter guy IMO for those long runs. Just based on what I saw in that game.
D-line - needs to get Misi-Pei back to add depth and the get Derek Moore as well. Moore was a recruit that USC apparently tried to grab at the last minute and we haven't seen enough of him to make a full impact.
QB- solid performance by the senior / grad transfer. Nice problem to have solid back ups who all deserve a look in the San Jose game.
LB and DB - just solid overall.
O-line - again solid.

So far ....so good.

I was happy with the punting, besides the botched snap, kid has a leg and looked to have the dead ball kick down pretty good. It was also nice to see the place kicker get some action, although he missed one, he came back and hit another and maybe two more, I can't recall.
!

Better crunch harder. Our placekicker was perfect on 2 FG attempts and 5 extra points...….

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Better crunch harder. Our placekicker was perfect on 2 FG attempts and 5 extra points...….
Was it the camera angle or were those kicks fairly low coming off his foot. It could have been the camera but sure looked like if Wyoming had timed it right they could have blocked it from up the middle.

Sorry if this was already covered but did Rodrick Fisher play at all?

Yes. His most notable play was covering a punt and getting flagged for a facemask that the refs then called on Dillon Sherman.

Just a few more things to add to these posts.
Borghi more than Williams is going to be the big hitter guy IMO for those long runs. Just based on what I saw in that game.
D-line - needs to get Misi-Pei back to add depth and the get Derek Moore as well. Moore was a recruit that USC apparently tried to grab at the last minute and we haven't seen enough of him to make a full impact.
QB- solid performance by the senior / grad transfer. Nice problem to have solid back ups who all deserve a look in the San Jose game.
LB and DB - just solid overall.
O-line - again solid.

So far ....so good.

Rumor is that Moore's career is done due to concussion(s). But we'll see. The rumor was also that Oguayo was out for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT