ADVERTISEMENT

Yelling out snap counts....growing problem??

SCglory

Hall Of Fame
Dec 19, 2003
Listed to Leach's presser, he was clearly annoyed.....and that makes 3 weeks in a row that I have heard a coach complain about this. Seems to be a growing problem, at least one that is not being addressed by the most flag happy group of officials in CF. If Pac12 refs aren't calling it, I would assume it's RARELY called by ANYONE!!

Listed to Leach's presser, he was clearly annoyed.....and that makes 3 weeks in a row that I have heard a coach complain about this. Seems to be a growing problem, at least one that is not being addressed by the most flag happy group of officials in CF. If Pac12 refs aren't calling it, I would assume it's RARELY called by ANYONE!!

And they missed obvious holds.

And they missed obvious holds.

Several of UCLA's big plays had major holds. I remember thinking the refs called a holding call on Andre Dillard where he grabbed the UCLA player but quickly let him go. But, on many plays UCLA had major grabbing from behind and we get crickets from the ref.

That the refs were letting UCLA call out the snap count makes more sense all the dead ball penalties yesterday.

Several of UCLA's big plays had major holds. I remember thinking the refs called a holding call on Andre Dillard where he grabbed the UCLA player but quickly let him go. But, on many plays UCLA had major grabbing from behind and we get crickets from the ref.

That the refs were letting UCLA call out the snap count makes more sense all the dead ball penalties yesterday.

I must have missed something due to all the beer I was consuming, what were they doing? Provoking false starts?

They are saying that the Defense has to call out their coverage… The deal is, there is no real way to verify that. And it oddly sounds a lot like whatever the Offense is calling. So it places the refs in a weird situation that requires them to decipher "intent".

So the D can't call out coverages? Of course they can. They are just communicating. It's about whether they are really doing that… communicating… or if they are just yelling out crap under the guise of "calling coverage". And how do ref's understand the difference?

This is going to have to be something that Offenses are going to have to get used to. They are going to have to change… something…

There are times I seriously see this happening and ask myself, "How can they not see this?!" But the ref's have to have actual justification, not just the fact that the Oline (Even the Center, for Criminy Sakes!) moved prior to snap.

Defenses are muddying the water badly.

Yelling out snap counts is bush league, and if a team is coached to do it they should be ashamed, plain and simple.

I have less issue with the D jumping and trying to get a false start than with this crap. The O line is only supposed to move on the right sound or on ball movement, so if they get faked out by a DL then its on them. When they are simulating the only thing the O has to communicate, I'm sorry thats just wrong.

do teams even use snap counts anymore? seems to me that the "snap count" is always the qb doing something w/ his leg or his arm that the center sees through his legs. or maybe clapping. i've seen that sometimes. does anyone go "down, set, hut" anymore?

Yelling out snap counts is bush league, and if a team is coached to do it they should be ashamed, plain and simple.

I have less issue with the D jumping and trying to get a false start than with this crap. The O line is only supposed to move on the right sound or on ball movement, so if they get faked out by a DL then its on them. When they are simulating the only thing the O has to communicate, I'm sorry thats just wrong.
Bingo. There's a fine line between looking for a competitive edge and cheating. If you have to ask yourself "Would the Patriots do it" it's probably something that shouldn't be done. But then again I don't think Mora is far from Belichek in the coaching morals category.

What's the penalty if this is called BTW? Should be unsportsmanlike 15 if it's being done.

do teams even use snap counts anymore? seems to me that the "snap count" is always the qb doing something w/ his leg or his arm that the center sees through his legs. or maybe clapping. i've seen that sometimes. does anyone go "down, set, hut" anymore?

Yes, although not the "down, set, hut" anymore. They regularly are changing or calling plays at the line of scrimmage. There is a rhythm and it is easy to learn some of the verbiage and to yell it out to try to confuse the offense.

some say "let's go" (which is sort of cool), others say "Yep," "Go," etc. They all seem to work more or less like the old baseball "indicator" that had to be given first before a signal would become valid. But there are also teams where the QB calls the count, the center then looks up, then counts one, then snaps the ball (shotgun)

Mora, like Carroll, will take advantage of the refs until they actually call something. They never called the snap count violation, so it continued throughout the game. Depending upon your view, you might say that is all on the refs. Or you might decide that Mora is a douche. Certainly he is on the hot seat, and that appears to increase his willingness to engage in douchebagism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT