ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another big Florida WR may end up at WSU

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Per Rivals and others, Darnell Salomon, a 6-3, 210 pounder from Miami, is tripping to Pullman Jan. 29. He's rated the No. 15 WR in the nation by ESPN and has more than 25 offers, including Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Florida, Florida State and many others. He seems quite a bit faster than Isaiah Johnson, the former Floriday commit currently enrolled at WSU.
Two other WR commits have not scheduled official visits to WSU for whatever reason, so there appears to be room for Salomon in this class. He's currently a South Florida commit.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5143310/darnell-salomon

http://sports.yahoo.com/smu/football/recruiting/player-Darnell-Salomon-154045

Last edited:
A 5 star as a junior rated the #6 WR in the nation. Does come with baggage though.

A 5 star as a junior rated the #6 WR in the nation. Does come with baggage though.

As did Tavares Martin Jr. But there's no denying Salomon's physical talent. He's paid for the mistake he made a couple years ago. He seems to have his head on straight now.

Reactions: kougkurt

Dumb kid thing to do. Many of us or those we know, did stupid things too. Leach has stopped the turnstile to the police department. If Leach thinks he is worth the risk, then he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Dumb kid thing to do. Many of us or those we know, did stupid things too. Leach has stopped the turnstile to the police department. If Leach thinks he is worth the risk, then he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

He definitely sounds like he wants to play somewhere that will get him noticed. Not sure USF does that as much as the Pac-12 and the Air Raid.

While on an unofficial visit to Georgia he walked into a dorm room and stole a wallet and cell phone.

I've never done ANYTHING stupid :cool:

This should be a good get, and regards to stealing we all know that Leach has mostly likely already given him the talk about his three golden rules.

Like all the rest, I will accept Leach's judgment. That said, this kid concerns me. The tackle from Michigan did something stupid while drinking. Martin got into trouble while under the influence of peer pressure. This young man stole while apparently sober and alone. I see no extenuating circumstance here. Yes, we all did dumb things at his age but this behavior is a real red flag for me. Hope I'm wrong about this. I expect the staff to have a deep conversation about this and will accept their decision. They are in a better spot and have more and better information than we on the board.

Like all the rest, I will accept Leach's judgment. That said, this kid concerns me. The tackle from Michigan did something stupid while drinking. Martin got into trouble while under the influence of peer pressure. This young man stole while apparently sober and alone. I see no extenuating circumstance here. Yes, we all did dumb things at his age but this behavior is a real red flag for me. Hope I'm wrong about this. I expect the staff to have a deep conversation about this and will accept their decision. They are in a better spot and have more and better information than we on the board.

As I've stated before, I absolutely detest stealing and those who steal from others.

Was it just a "dumb" thing this kid did? That sounds like minimizing the issue to me. He made a decision to steal something with the intent of not getting caught. That is detestable and thus unacceptable. It isn't about being "dumb".

The question to me is whether he was genuinely sorry for what he did and has he said he is committed to never stealing again...and, of course, did he make amends? If no on any of those, I'd be concerned. I assume he did or Leach wouldn't have been willing to take him in.

He's committed to USF, so wonder if Wulff had a hand in his recruitment. If so, would love to get some comments from him on the kid's character and upbringing to be looking around after giving his word to USF. :p

As for his situation, I'd read he did send a hand written apology letter to Richt (as he was on a recruiting visit to UGA at the time). Show's he at least has the character to man up and apologize. It was also 1.5 years ago, and, as far as I can tell, he's kept his nose clean since then.

As I've stated before, I absolutely detest stealing and those who steal from others.

Was it just a "dumb" thing this kid did? That sounds like minimizing the issue to me. He made a decision to steal something with the intent of not getting caught. That is detestable and thus unacceptable. It isn't about being "dumb".

The question to me is whether he was genuinely sorry for what he did and has he said he is committed to never stealing again...and, of course, did he make amends? If no on any of those, I'd be concerned. I assume he did or Leach wouldn't have been willing to take him in.

For what it's worth, Salomon did say that he was sorry in an interview with Rivals.com last January, which came after he plead guilty to first degree burglary in June of last year.

"It was just a mistake, a really dumb mistake," said Salomon, who was a sophomore at the time of the crime. "Everyone makes mistakes, I learned, and will never do anything like that again."

As Fab noted above, he also sent then-Georgia head coach Mark Richt a hand-written apology, though as part of his punishment (five years probation and 320 hours of community service) he was banned from Athens.

As with Tavares Martin Jr. and Logan Tuley-Tillman, Bill Moos more than likely gave Mike Leach the OK to recruit Salomon, and in turn Leach clearly believes his past legal problems are no longer an issue.

A poster mentioned it on another site, but "after the program went 16 months in between arrests, I'm inclined to give Leach the benefit of the doubt" in these particular instances.

(via AL.com)

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Salomon did say that he was sorry in an interview with Rivals.com last January, which came after he plead guilty to first degree burglary in June of last year.

"It was just a mistake, a really dumb mistake," said Salomon, who was a sophomore at the time of the crime. "Everyone makes mistakes, I learned, and will never do anything like that again."

As Fab noted above, he also sent then-Georgia head coach Mark Richt a hand-written apology, though as part of his punishment (five years probation and 320 hours of community service) he was banned from Athens.

As with Tavares Martin Jr. and Logan Tuley-Tillman, Bill Moos more than likely gave Mike Leach the OK to recruit Salomon, and in turn Leach clearly believes his past legal problems are no longer an issue.

A poster mentioned it on another site, but "after the program went 16 months in between arrests, I'm inclined to give Leach the benefit of the doubt" in these particular instances.

(via AL.com)

Understood. My problem was using the word "dumb" as explained above.

Also, if I were to quibble with his words some more, the use of "everyone makes mistakes" is irrelevant I'd reply to him that we aren't talking about "everyone", the public is asking HIM to own up to stealing. It looks like he was trying to minimize his action with the "everyone does it" type of rationale.

If Leach/Moos are satisfied that he has told him what they need to hear, and that he's changed his behavior, that's all that matters. There is no doubt he's a big talent.

This guy was rated as the 3 rd rated WR in the country before the incident . His 40 time is rated as being from 4.4 to 4.64 and at 6'3 210 pds that is good to great.His videos are very impressive

This guy was rated as the 3 rd rated WR in the country before the incident . His 40 time is rated as being from 4.4 to 4.64 and at 6'3 210 pds that is good to great.His videos are very impressive

I find it funny in that the video Yaki embedded, the scout doing the report states he "is not the tallest receiver". Yes, there are taller receivers, but he is not short by any means at 6'3" (and yes, it could be embellished, but he still is not short).

I find it funny in that the video Yaki embedded, the scout doing the report states he "is not the tallest receiver". Yes, there are taller receivers, but he is not short by any means at 6'3" (and yes, it could be embellished, but he still is not short).

He's taller than Dom Williams, Vince Mayle, Kyrin Priester, and Tavares Martin, and definitely faster than Williams and Mayle. He'd be a talented addition to our roster and one who - knock on the wooden heads who are whining about him - hasn't been in trouble for 1 1/2 years.

Your point about whether his apology is genuine and whether he has learned his lesson is spot on. As others have mentioned he wrote an apology to Richt after the incident. But these expressions of remorse are almost pro forma. Johnny Football averages about one every other week or so. Ask the folks in Ohio how that is working out. The fact that there has been no reoccurrence in the last year and a half along with the fact that no other prior problems have been published gives me a bit of hope. Looking into someone's soul and determining sincerity is a rather nebulous and indistinct process. Hopefully the staff's decision is the right one.

Reactions: 79COUG
Your point about whether his apology is genuine and whether he has learned his lesson is spot on. As others have mentioned he wrote an apology to Richt after the incident. But these expressions of remorse are almost pro forma. Johnny Football averages about one every other week or so. Ask the folks in Ohio how that is working out. The fact that there has been no reoccurrence in the last year and a half along with the fact that no other prior problems have been published gives me a bit of hope. Looking into someone's soul and determining sincerity is a rather nebulous and indistinct process. Hopefully the staff's decision is the right one.

I still remember former WSU starting running back Michael Black who actually spent time in jail. If I remember, it was something like a year and a half. He was a model athlete and student at WSU.

There really are youthful indiscretions that really are one time events or are taken care of by coming to a more structured environment for the first time.

I still remember former WSU starting running back Michael Black who actually spent time in jail. If I remember, it was something like a year and a half. He was a model athlete and student at WSU.

There really are youthful indiscretions that really are one time events or are taken care of by coming to a more structured environment for the first time.
It's a fine line. I'm not a PC person. I'm just not. Grew up in a small community where we'd get into fights and we'd get a paddle (with holes drilled in it). And I'm OK with that. Many times wish there was corporal punishment. That would actually bond us after a fight, back in the day! I became friends with a guy I got into a nasty fight with. With technology, with our ADD mentality as a society, we tend to be knee-jerk'ish on stuff. "Don't know all the facts but I have a very hard and fast opinion about this or that!!!!" He stole. He paid dearly. He paid so much it potentially altered his life trajectory.

I'm with How_Did_This_Happen. I hate stealing. Truly hate it. Someone tries to come into my home to steal my belongings, they very well may have made a deadly bad choice. That's how much I hate stealing so I'm no pollyanna on this.

But as long as there are punishments handed out, everyone deserves a chance to prove they have learned how to be a standup citizen. The person they stole from probably won't (and honestly shouldn't if they don't want to) give that second chance but IMHO, others should always strive to have that ability of kindness and forgiveness.

It's a fine line. I'm not a PC person. I'm just not. Grew up in a small community where we'd get into fights and we'd get a paddle (with holes drilled in it). And I'm OK with that. Many times wish there was corporal punishment. That would actually bond us after a fight, back in the day! I became friends with a guy I got into a nasty fight with. With technology, with our ADD mentality as a society, we tend to be knee-jerk'ish on stuff. "Don't know all the facts but I have a very hard and fast opinion about this or that!!!!" He stole. He paid dearly. He paid so much it potentially altered his life trajectory.

I'm with How_Did_This_Happen. I hate stealing. Truly hate it. Someone tries to come into my home to steal my belongings, they very well may have made a deadly bad choice. That's how much I hate stealing so I'm no pollyanna on this.

But as long as there are punishments handed out, everyone deserves a chance to prove they have learned how to be a standup citizen. The person they stole from probably won't (and honestly shouldn't if they don't want to) give that second chance but IMHO, others should always strive to have that ability of kindness and forgiveness.

I think PC is good. But, it is also bad as well. It really is a case by case basis. The best course of action is to be a good person. That takes care of most things. Don't go around calling people names. Frankly, I do cringe when I am with people who made derogatory comments about a race of people. Again, be good and you don't have to be PC.

That being said, I can separate things that people do. I remember them and it affects on how I think of them, but I do not necessarily avoid them either. Again, it is a case by case basis.

I have actually had my home broken into and many (in the tens of thousands of dollars) things stolen. I probably think differently than many people, but to me it is just stuff. Stuff can be replaced. If someone were to endanger a loved one, friend or even a stranger, I would not hesitate to do damage on them. But, things are things to me.

Regarding this player, again it is a case by case basis. If he truly is remorseful and after talking to him and his teachers, etc., and Moos, Leach and his staff believe the incident was a one off, I am fine with giving him a chance.

I think PC is good. But, it is also bad as well. It really is a case by case basis. The best course of action is to be a good person. That takes care of most things. Don't go around calling people names. Frankly, I do cringe when I am with people who made derogatory comments about a race of people. Again, be good and you don't have to be PC.

That being said, I can separate things that people do. I remember them and it affects on how I think of them, but I do not necessarily avoid them either. Again, it is a case by case basis.

I have actually had my home broken into and many (in the tens of thousands of dollars) things stolen. I probably think differently than many people, but to me it is just stuff. Stuff can be replaced. If someone were to endanger a loved one, friend or even a stranger, I would not hesitate to do damage on them. But, things are things to me.

Regarding this player, again it is a case by case basis. If he truly is remorseful and after talking to him and his teachers, etc., and Moos, Leach and his staff believe the incident was a one off, I am fine with giving him a chance.

I'll jump in again...

First, I agree with your last paragraph as I've stated before.

Second, the point about being a victim of a thief is not really about the stuff so much, the point is that you've been violated. As you state, the stuff can be replaced, but it's much more about some jerk breaking and entering your property. That is very unsettling and very angering. I've only had one significant event where I've been a victim of theft, but I'll never forget it and I still want to physically hurt the person who stole from me about five years ago. To enforce my point about being violated is the key issue here, the stuff stolen actually belonged to my place of employment. They had to replace it at their cost.

I hope this kid has his life straightened out. He looks like a real talent.

I'll jump in again...

First, I agree with your last paragraph as I've stated before.

Second, the point about being a victim of a thief is not really about the stuff so much, the point is that you've been violated. As you state, the stuff can be replaced, but it's much more about some jerk breaking and entering your property. That is very unsettling and very angering. I've only had one significant event where I've been a victim of theft, but I'll never forget it and I still want to physically hurt the person who stole from me about five years ago. To enforce my point about being violated is the key issue here, the stuff stolen actually belonged to my place of employment. They had to replace it at their cost.

I hope this kid has his life straightened out. He looks like a real talent.

Again, this is just me and I do understand why people feel different. I never felt like I was violated because I refused to let my self feel like a victim. I have also had a car stolen. I felt the same way then as well.

Again, this is just me and I do understand why people feel different. I never felt like I was violated because I refused to let my self feel like a victim. I have also had a car stolen. I felt the same way then as well.
My mom alway said, "Isn't it great that we're all different. How boring would it be if we were all the same?!" And I truly do hope this kid proves that he's a great person.

But to crystalize my view on theft, in general, a bit more.

I get it that it's just "stuff" to you. And I respect that. And for me, it's hours of blood sweat and tears, and ultimately, time away from my family that the thief just stole from me. I worked to purchase these things and that means I'm NOT with my family. For me, that is my ultimate gauge in everything. My hourly rate, my price for goods, all of it. How long away from my family will this thing take? And whether I have to work more hours (away from my family) to replace it, whether it's an heirloom from 3 or 4 generations back that's irreplaceable or a Pez Dispenser my kid had. Whether insurance replaces the TV or not… It's mine. And I sacrifice my family in order to get enough money for whatever purchase. THAT is a major, major thing for me. It's a Top 2 thing in my life. Suffice it to say, I take very few things more seriously than my family and the time I have with them. Are the "things" replaceable? Oh yeah. Is my time that created the money for that purchase replaceable? No.

I don't like leaning on insurance. I lean on me.

He never did anything to me. I don't give a damn about an apology.

Is he currently legal?

Is he eligible?... pass admissions?

Does Leach believe he will mesh with the Team and become a student athlete in good standing and a good teammate while in Pullman?

Then as far as I'm concerned... Welcome to Pullman, son!

It wasn't about feeling like a victim. I was in fact objectively a victim of the crime. I was objectively violated because my property was entered illegally, just as you were. You see the difference?

I don't think about it anymore unless it (the subject of stealing) is brought up, but I'd still pop the guy(s) violently who did this if I had a chance.

Anyway, this is an important point to me as you can see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT