ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another FB assistant coach leaving

Eric Scott at University of Nevada is a great recruiter well connected to LA area.
Proved to be a pretty good HC at that level. Well connected. Chance also for a greater connection between WR's and the QB. I thought Tyler would bring THAT this year...the ability to stay on the same page as the WR's currently on the roster. Perhaps a WR coach could bring THAT to the table

yeah I liked CML's response when asked about replacing assistants that have left (specifically re' Mastro)

he was matter of fact in his response and said "there are a lot of good ones out there"

he wasn't worried so neither should we be - always an opportunity to upgrade when somebody leaves and that apples to any profession

in fact I would often welcome that opportunity

Last edited:
Reactions: M-I-Coug
Maybe we should not be worried but I am getting tired of this turnover. The crimson glasses approach, "No big deal. We'll get a better one.", is eventually going to bite us in the butt.

Reactions: SDCoug
One wonders Is it the money or is it something else? The departure of so many coaches is a little disconcerting. i welcomed the departure of a couple, but why so many? One can say that it is because Leach knows how to hire good people. But staff cohesion and stability is important to the athletes who have formed relationships with the coaches.

One wonders Is it the money or is it something else? The departure of so many coaches is a little disconcerting. i welcomed the departure of a couple, but why so many? One can say that it is because Leach knows how to hire good people. But staff cohesion and stability is important to the athletes who have formed relationships with the coaches.

Schulz was screaming from the rooftops about wielding the budget axe, and we're seeing the affect. It started with Moos.

Doubt Sage was there long enough to form that great of relationships. It would be better to not have turnover however it does not seem like any of these moves were lateral moves just to go somewhere else. I would be bet all of departures got raises and some substantial.

When a program like WSU, that has been down so many years, has a run like the last three years the agents of the coaches will push them to check the market while their value is high. With Falk graduating there was going to be a quarterback change and with 19 seniors on the two deep, there is a chance for a down year. Check value while it is hot. Also, with colleges added a 10th assistant there were a lot more opportunities. Assuming WSU continues winning 7, 8, 9 wins a years, this great of a turnover should not happen again.

As far as Sage, he was moved from inside receiver to outside receiver. Was there a reason? There was complaints all season of the receivers not getting separation. His top two receivers left the program. Maybe none of this was his fault, but a change does not bother me here. Next man up.

Reactions: random soul
Sage was underwhelming. Especially as a recruiter.

I don't recall doing cartwheels when he was hired, but I don't wish to downplay such a large number of ACs leaving in one season. Certainly Chip Kelly's return to the Pac-12 is a factor, as is Oregon's Phil Knight bucks, and the NCAA's decision to allow a 10th AC per program. Of course, it took the NFL to lure Loscalzo away, and Grinch's ties to Ohio were significant. If we have any more departures, however, something is up in Pullman.

When a program like WSU, that has been down so many years, has a run like the last three years the agents of the coaches will push them to check the market while their value is high. With Falk graduating there was going to be a quarterback change and with 19 seniors on the two deep, there is a chance for a down year. Check value while it is hot. Also, with colleges added a 10th assistant there were a lot more opportunities. Assuming WSU continues winning 7, 8, 9 wins a years, this great of a turnover should not happen again.

As far as Sage, he was moved from inside receiver to outside receiver. Was there a reason? There was complaints all season of the receivers not getting separation. His top two receivers left the program. Maybe none of this was his fault, but a change does not bother me here. Next man up.

It's hard to say if they collectively believe the program will have a losing season. I believe it just very well might this year, particularly with the loss of the heir apparent at QB, and most of its d-line. Still, two of the departures (Loscalzo and Grinch) were unavoidable, and the deep pockets in Eugene and L.A. will continue to take ACs from WSU and others.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Can we just move Ernie Kent over to a football assistant spot and bring somebody else in for hoops?

Yeah- I’m aware he won last night. Woo hoo. Big deal.

I just read where Sage used to work with Chip Kelly .So that may be a solid reason. I was unaware of his being a poor recruiter?

Leach is partly to blame here. I am of the opinion that his flirting with Tennessee might be an indicator that he's not here for the long haul. Also, with Grinch leaving (who was rumor to be taking over if Leach left), I get the sense staff might be feeling if Leach leaves, they might not have a spot here at WSU.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
Of all the assistants that have left, the only ones that have really bothered me were Manning and Mastro. And I have to think we can get better results from our outside receivers than we did last year anyway.

Of all the assistants that have left, the only ones that have really bothered me were Manning and Mastro. And I have to think we can get better results from our outside receivers than we did last year anyway.
Why did those two bug you? Not badgering you or anything, just genuinely curious.

Leach is partly to blame here. I am of the opinion that his flirting with Tennessee might be an indicator that he's not here for the long haul. Also, with Grinch leaving (who was rumor to be taking over if Leach left), I get the sense staff might be feeling if Leach leaves, they might not have a spot here at WSU.

Meh.
Grinch was not going to be the Head Coach - here or anywhere. He is 3 years removed from being a nameless DB coach.
The guy (forgot his name already) going to Texas Tech, where he is likely to be jobless in a year, didn't find a stable, safe home.
The other guys left for money and/or other reasons unrelated to CML.
Whenever a HC leaves, the assistants might not have a spot. And usually don't.

Did you ever think he was looking because he knew if he could not get a job with higher pay particularly for assistants he was going to lose them anyway? If he had gotten the Tennessee job it would be harder for other programs to steal his assistants. That being said I do not fault assistants for leaving for what they perceive as better jobs for themselves and their families. I do fault them if they did not put in their best on recruiting for WSU while they were being paid by WSU.

That would make sense if they were jumping to Podunk U. But these jumps were to Ohio State, Oregon, UCLA and the Chicago Bears. Like it or not most would say those are name brand gigs.

All that said my money would still be on Leach continuing to more than holding his own in the Pac 12. He lost assistants along the way at Texas Tech > Dana Holgerson, Seth Littrell, and Robert Anae to name a few and Texas Tech did nothing but get better after their departure . And they were stronger coaches than these guys that have left WSU.

As an assistant coach you need to move around some. You need to be on different staffs and network with different guys and build your rolodex and resume. Very rarely can a guy stick with a program his entire career and then find work easily. That program would have to be blue blooded and you'd have to have been on a lot of winning teams so if your network wasn't strong at least your resume was.

We've seen a head coach at WSU that literally couldn't find a paying job once he was fired. He'd only been at 1 school prior to WSU. No wins at WSU, no resume, no network, no job.

I can't fault these position coaches taking other jobs. It's a chance to develop their career. Who know, they may make it back to WSU as a coordinator one day.

Now Grinch, if he left for money or prestige of Ohio State, fine. The fast track to being a head coach???? I dunno about that. He may have more $ in his bank account but he's starting all over with his reputation in the Big 10. A few more years of blowing up the WSU defense and he would probably be in position for a PAC 12 head job or at least interviewing for one. Now he's just another guy on the staff. He might make more money now, but ultimately the real dollars are as a head coach and I think he was on a faster track out of WSU. In 3 seasons at OSU where is he gonna be? 3 more years at WSU blowing up the defense where is he gonna be???

There are a lot of really great coaches out there. I don't buy into the idea that you need a guy with coaching ties to an area at the BCS level. The head coach at the high school isn't gonna sign the LOI. It'd be nice to have a recommendation from the head man to the recruit, but ultimately I don't think it's a deal breaker any more. Also, there really isn't as much digging for players as is made out to be. You either have the DNA and speed or you don't. If you're not scoring 20 touchdowns as a running back are you really a PAC 12 kid? If you didn't pass for 20 touchdowns are you really a legit BCS kid? Digging for kids at the BCS level isn't hard. You make your money as a recruiter by being able to make a great first impression and developing relationships as fast as possible.

We've seen a head coach at WSU that literally couldn't find a paying job once he was fired. He'd only been at 1 school prior to WSU. No wins at WSU, no resume, no network, no job.

That's just Football. Look at Basketball Or Baseball.
MBB: Paul Graham, coaching HS. Eastman.
WBB: Jenny P. Gardener.
BB: Donnie Marbut. Farrington.

They were two of our better recruiters. They will be missed.
Agree with you and Random. I believe that their replacements will do the coaching aspects of their responsibilities just as well as they did but as far as recruiting I am a bit concerned. Manning in particular was well established and doing a good job in the prime L.A. area. If Mele leaves you can find me on a ledge.

As an assistant coach you need to move around some. You need to be on different staffs and network with different guys and build your rolodex and resume. Very rarely can a guy stick with a program his entire career and then find work easily. That program would have to be blue blooded and you'd have to have been on a lot of winning teams so if your network wasn't strong at least your resume was.

I can't fault these position coaches taking other jobs. It's a chance to develop their career. Who know, they may make it back to WSU as a coordinator one day.

Now Grinch, if he left for money or prestige of Ohio State, fine. The fast track to being a head coach???? I dunno about that. He may have more $ in his bank account but he's starting all over with his reputation in the Big 10. A few more years of blowing up the WSU defense and he would probably be in position for a PAC 12 head job or at least interviewing for one. Now he's just another guy on the staff. He might make more money now, but ultimately the real dollars are as a head coach and I think he was on a faster track out of WSU. In 3 seasons at OSU where is he gonna be? 3 more years at WSU blowing up the defense where is he gonna be???

There are a lot of really great coaches out there. I don't buy into the idea that you need a guy with coaching ties to an area at the BCS level. The head coach at the high school isn't gonna sign the LOI. It'd be nice to have a recommendation from the head man to the recruit, but ultimately I don't think it's a deal breaker any more. Also, there really isn't as much digging for players as is made out to be. You either have the DNA and speed or you don't. If you're not scoring 20 touchdowns as a running back are you really a PAC 12 kid? If you didn't pass for 20 touchdowns are you really a legit BCS kid? Digging for kids at the BCS level isn't hard. You make your money as a recruiter by being able to make a great first impression and developing relationships as fast as possible.

He’s right.

Also the assistants have one, maybe two year contracts. Whereas Leach has the perpetual five year rollover deal.

If there’s even an inkling an assistant’s contract is not going to be renewed or the head guy is leaving, the assistant HAS to make a move. The risk of non-renewal or not going along with the head coach is too great.

Early Dennis Erickson is the only one I recall who took his entire band with him to each new stop. , Cozzetto and the boys all started at the Corner Club in Moscow and traveled all over the country together. It doesn’t happen that often.

Reactions: Whitworth-Coug
Why did those two bug you? Not badgering you or anything, just genuinely curious.
Manning because he was a high-energy social media presence and a good recruiter in an important area. Mastro because he was a good recruiter who got good results with his players. I'm not sure who his stars at Nevada may have been but look at what he did with Jamal Morrow from when he was a freshman. A lot of the credit for that transformation goes to Jamal of course, but Mastro got a lot of production out of his unit when it was utilized properly, and I give him a lot of credit for that.

He’s right.

Also the assistants have one, maybe two year contracts. Whereas Leach has the perpetual five year rollover deal.

If there’s even an inkling an assistant’s contract is not going to be renewed or the head guy is leaving, the assistant HAS to make a move. The risk of non-renewal or not going along with the head coach is too great.

Early Dennis Erickson is the only one I recall who took his entire band with him to each new stop. , Cozzetto and the boys all started at the Corner Club in Moscow and traveled all over the country together. It doesn’t happen that often.

Scott Frost took everyone with him from UCF. He came out publicly and said it was essentially BS to leave a guy behind so he can be fired by the next guy.

He's right. It is BS for a head coach to move on to greener pastures and leave guys behind. Loyalty isn't a one way street.

Scott Frost took everyone with him from UCF. He came out publicly and said it was essentially BS to leave a guy behind so he can be fired by the next guy.

He's right. It is BS for a head coach to move on to greener pastures and leave guys behind. Loyalty isn't a one way street.

Frost is a stand up guy.

Given the same set of circumstances, I'm not so sure Leach would have taken the entire coaching staff to Tennessee (save those who wanted to stay behind if Grinch was named coach - and even then, Grinch may have had his own ideas as to who was going to be on his staff).

We'll find out next year when Leach leaves. :)

Frost is a stand up guy.

Given the same set of circumstances, I'm not so sure Leach would have taken the entire coaching staff to Tennessee (save those who wanted to stay behind if Grinch was named coach - and even then, Grinch may have had his own ideas as to who was going to be on his staff).

We'll find out next year when Leach leaves. :)

One minute people are saying no one would hire Leach, the next minute he is leaving next year. Look at he assistants that left Leach has replaced them with quality as good or better. We lost two that were exceptional recruiters. Time will tell how well he did replacing them. When Leach first came to WSU it was not as attractive an offer for assistant as it is today. There should be more quality coaches willing to come. People need to relax. He will be a WSU for a while. His agent will check the market when it is in Leach's best interest to keep WSU honest. If someone offers him twice his salary and/or doubles his assistant salaries, he has to take it seriously.

Reactions: mister noon
Peach needs to win the Ac and a big bowl gme before any of the bigger schools come a knocking. If Mele leaves then the staff will become instantly better. He is a good recruiter though

Peach needs to win the Ac and a big bowl gme before any of the bigger schools come a knocking. If Mele leaves then the staff will become instantly better. He is a good recruiter though

Mele is a good coach and recruiter. He works hard. You will be glad we have him this season.

Leach has a real, honest-to-goodness network. He will know who is available and ready to try being a PAC assistant. He also has access to his new DC's network. He will find somebody. They might be a year or two away from what many might say is "ready", but he will get someone good. And Sage simply was not that impressive...

Reactions: Tx64
No, no, no. Mele is worth a spot on the staff if he does nothing more than recruit. After losing Manning and Mastro, we need him more than ever. If he is shifted to RB duties then it is CML's duty to teach him that position. Again, no. Bad idea.

Reactions: Tx64

You’ve overtaken Ed as worst typist on the board.

Reactions: mister noon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT