ADVERTISEMENT

Cal

wulffui

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Saw that they got turned down by Xavier's coach.

Why does Sandy Barbour hate basketball?!?

Interesting. The basketball board seems to be dead right about now. i wonder if there has been any word about a new assistant or any potential recruits? There are some good recruits left at both the high school and juco levels, These potential recruits had already been contacted by the previous regime . Now WSU can show a competent coach and assistants who can turn things around in Pullman to these recruits.

El...with a competent coach

what do you expect the record to be next year in conference? What about year two and three?
This post was edited on 4/14 10:27 AM by CougEd

Next years recruiting will tell a lot more than this year. Only one spot remaining, and possibly not even that depending on who you talk to. Ernie is going to do as good a job as can be done in Pullman. Next years team will be 3 to 6 wins better than this team, and will be more competitive even if losing. After that a lot will depend on how Que, Ike, and hopefully Isabell develop this coming season. I think Ernie will recruit well for the 5 man class coming up, but even he is likely to get kids who need at least one season before they contribute a lot.

Interesting, to forecast how much improvement the team will have under a new coach. It depends on the new recruits coming in. The PG position is of course of importance. I wish that Ernie would recruit a couple of more juco players especially at the "BIGS" and PG position. Isabell is a big question mark because of his inexperience at the college level. Isabell is the type of player who has to play smart and strong to compensate for his lack of outstanding speed ,quickness and hops. The big man position will have to rely on guys like Morgan,Canty and whomever else Kent can bring in. Longrus is a tad small and Hawkinson is still learning to chew gum and walk at the same time.Railey is perhaps capable of helping on defense if Kent can ignite a fire under the guy Morgan may be better than expected as he appears to be a competitor who plays with intensity.. So i guess Ed,that i will have to see how they perform at the preconference level before tying myself to a number.
I would say off hand that they should be able to win 4-5 conference games at home with just the known talent coming in right now.I would guess that the rebounding,defense and team play will be more spirited under Kent. That should allow them to win some home games. i would be happy if They break .500 next season.and be competitive in most games.

500 overall and 6-7 conference wins would be my prediction. Lacy is a stud to build on if we can develop some more consistent offense from some other returnees ( Que in particular ). Iroegbu will be improved too. If he can improve his shooting a bit he could be really good. Royce is the real wild card. His poor mechanics suggest we may not see a return to his soph form, and yet the idea of him once again using great body control to get to the hoop, and knocking down enough jumpers to keep people honest brings out the optimist in me. Assuming Isabell fully qualifies he will contribute right away. Someone else compared him to Bennie Seltzer, and I was thinking the same thing. Great shooter and a good passer trumps speed and hops ( see Derrick Low ). Also I remember everyone was disappointed with Lacys ball handling and quickness as a frosh. He turned out okay. Isabell appears to be able to create his own shot.

Why would you think not even the one open spot. That makes no sense at all. I would think at least 2 more recruits this year and perhaps even 3. And that doesn't include folks who may graduate and leave like Royce.

This staff will have a lot to do right away. I could see one Graduate Transfer and others.

Re: El...with a competent coach

Guess he is ducking your question, Ed. What do you think it should be ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT