Home games ~Mainly the CW.

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

I wouldn't call it a 'deal".​

WSU, Oregon State land TV deal for home football games in 2024 | Analysis​

Jon WilnerMay 14, 2024 at 11:47 am
A process that began last summer concluded Tuesday morning when Washington State and Oregon State announced a media rights agreement for their home games in 2024, when they will compete as a two-team football conference in the aftermath of the Pac-12’s demise.

Eleven of their 13 home games will be shown on The CW, with the other two on either Fox or FS1.

“It’s the best-case scenario,” said a source familiar with the negotiations. “It allows them to stay relevant.”

(No information about the teams’ road games in 2024 was made available; those matchups are controlled by the opponents’ media partners.)

WSU football home game schedule​

WSU football games will air nationally on The CW Network and Fox Sports in 2024
DateTimeOpponentTV
8/3112 p.m.Portland StateCW
9/7TBDTexas TechFOX or FS1
9/207 p.m.San Jose StateCW
10/1912:30 or 7 p.m.HawaiiCW
11/912:30 or 7 p.m.Utah StateCW
11/303:30 p.m.WyomingCW
Although the Pac-12 Networks will cease to exist as a media distribution company at the end of June, the conference has retained the Bay Area production facility and will use the infrastructure to produce The CW broadcasts.

Our four-part reaction to the news:

• 1. The financial terms were not disclosed, but the deal is expected to generate approximately $1 million per game for the Cougars and Beavers.
That’s a paltry amount compared to what the 10 departing universities will receive under the terms of their agreements with the Big Ten, Big 12 and ACC. But cash was a secondary consideration to exposure for the ‘Pac-2’ schools.

In that regard, the agreement with The CW and Fox represents a massive upgrade.

Most OSU and WSU games over the past decade were shown on the Pac-12 Networks, which reached roughly 15% of the TV homes nationally.

The CW and Fox are broadcast networks available in 99% of TV homes.

“Given the number of times in recent years they’ve been exiled to the (Pac-12 Networks),” a second industry source said, “it will be good for everyone in the country to have access to all their games.”

• 2. The CW, which owns the rights to LIV Golf and NASCAR’s Xfinity Series, is steadily adding to its college football inventory after years of standing on the sidelines.
Last summer, the network announced it would broadcast 13 ACC football games annually through the 2026 season via a sub-licensing agreement with ESPN, which owns the ACC’s media rights.

The CW is expected to promote its Pac-12 package during ACC broadcasts and use ACC games as a lead-in to WSU and OSU matchups.

Each school will have one game on Fox or FS1: Texas Tech at Washington State, and Oregon at Oregon State.

• 3. Another key piece for two schools that have played so many night games over the years: The CW kickoff times are favorable.
Two of WSU’s six home games are locked into afternoon windows, while three more could start in daylight. Only one, against San Jose State, is guaranteed to kick off after dinner.

Meanwhile, four Oregon State’s seven home games have been scheduled for afternoon or early evening starts; the others could kick in afternoon windows.

“Most of the windows are conducive to ticket sales,” a source said.

• 4. The windows are also conducive to network studio shows.
During all the uproar over the Pac-12 night games — and the extent to which they were inconvenient for fans — an important element was often overlooked: #Pac12AfterDark had no shelf life.

Because the night games typically ended at 11 p.m. on the West Coast, there were few chances for highlights to appear on the influential ESPN, Fox and CBS studio shows that are produced during peak viewing hours on the East Coast.

By the time football fans in the eastern half of the country rolled out of bed on Sunday morning, the networks had transitioned to NFL coverage.

But The CW has afternoon and prime time (East Coast) windows available for the ‘Pac-2’ games, giving studio shows numerous opportunities to show highlights of WSU and OSU and discuss whatever narratives develop in Pullman and Corvallis.

For the schools left behind in the realignment game, relevance is far more important than revenue.

The Cougars and Beavers have enough cash to navigate the next few years thanks to a settlement with the departing universities worth in excess of $200 million.

What they need now — what they cannot survive without — is exposure.

The deal with CW and Fox offers exactly that.

Jon Wilner: jwilner@bayareanewsgroup.com

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

I wouldn't call it a 'deal".​

WSU, Oregon State land TV deal for home football games in 2024 | Analysis​

Jon WilnerMay 14, 2024 at 11:47 am
A process that began last summer concluded Tuesday morning when Washington State and Oregon State announced a media rights agreement for their home games in 2024, when they will compete as a two-team football conference in the aftermath of the Pac-12’s demise.

Eleven of their 13 home games will be shown on The CW, with the other two on either Fox or FS1.

“It’s the best-case scenario,” said a source familiar with the negotiations. “It allows them to stay relevant.”

(No information about the teams’ road games in 2024 was made available; those matchups are controlled by the opponents’ media partners.)

WSU football home game schedule​

WSU football games will air nationally on The CW Network and Fox Sports in 2024
DateTimeOpponentTV
8/3112 p.m.Portland StateCW
9/7TBDTexas TechFOX or FS1
9/207 p.m.San Jose StateCW
10/1912:30 or 7 p.m.HawaiiCW
11/912:30 or 7 p.m.Utah StateCW
11/303:30 p.m.WyomingCW
Although the Pac-12 Networks will cease to exist as a media distribution company at the end of June, the conference has retained the Bay Area production facility and will use the infrastructure to produce The CW broadcasts.

Our four-part reaction to the news:

• 1. The financial terms were not disclosed, but the deal is expected to generate approximately $1 million per game for the Cougars and Beavers.
That’s a paltry amount compared to what the 10 departing universities will receive under the terms of their agreements with the Big Ten, Big 12 and ACC. But cash was a secondary consideration to exposure for the ‘Pac-2’ schools.

In that regard, the agreement with The CW and Fox represents a massive upgrade.

Most OSU and WSU games over the past decade were shown on the Pac-12 Networks, which reached roughly 15% of the TV homes nationally.

The CW and Fox are broadcast networks available in 99% of TV homes.

“Given the number of times in recent years they’ve been exiled to the (Pac-12 Networks),” a second industry source said, “it will be good for everyone in the country to have access to all their games.”

• 2. The CW, which owns the rights to LIV Golf and NASCAR’s Xfinity Series, is steadily adding to its college football inventory after years of standing on the sidelines.
Last summer, the network announced it would broadcast 13 ACC football games annually through the 2026 season via a sub-licensing agreement with ESPN, which owns the ACC’s media rights.

The CW is expected to promote its Pac-12 package during ACC broadcasts and use ACC games as a lead-in to WSU and OSU matchups.

Each school will have one game on Fox or FS1: Texas Tech at Washington State, and Oregon at Oregon State.

• 3. Another key piece for two schools that have played so many night games over the years: The CW kickoff times are favorable.
Two of WSU’s six home games are locked into afternoon windows, while three more could start in daylight. Only one, against San Jose State, is guaranteed to kick off after dinner.

Meanwhile, four Oregon State’s seven home games have been scheduled for afternoon or early evening starts; the others could kick in afternoon windows.

“Most of the windows are conducive to ticket sales,” a source said.

• 4. The windows are also conducive to network studio shows.
During all the uproar over the Pac-12 night games — and the extent to which they were inconvenient for fans — an important element was often overlooked: #Pac12AfterDark had no shelf life.

Because the night games typically ended at 11 p.m. on the West Coast, there were few chances for highlights to appear on the influential ESPN, Fox and CBS studio shows that are produced during peak viewing hours on the East Coast.

By the time football fans in the eastern half of the country rolled out of bed on Sunday morning, the networks had transitioned to NFL coverage.

But The CW has afternoon and prime time (East Coast) windows available for the ‘Pac-2’ games, giving studio shows numerous opportunities to show highlights of WSU and OSU and discuss whatever narratives develop in Pullman and Corvallis.

For the schools left behind in the realignment game, relevance is far more important than revenue.

The Cougars and Beavers have enough cash to navigate the next few years thanks to a settlement with the departing universities worth in excess of $200 million.

What they need now — what they cannot survive without — is exposure.

The deal with CW and Fox offers exactly that.

Jon Wilner: jwilner@bayareanewsgroup.com
Nice article but where does he get the estimated $1 million per game? And why did WSU budget -0- for media money if we have $4M for the uw game plus $1M for the others?

I'm going to break Board rules and link the latest from Brand X (below), which has more detail on game times.

Portland State - Noon
Texas Tech - TBD (bank on a late game)
mutts - TBD, out of our hands
SJSU - 7PM
Hawaii - 12:30 pr 7PM. Guess which one that will be?
Utah State Nov 9 - 12:30 or 7:30 - Guess which one that will be?
Wyoming Now 30 - 3:30. Not good but at least not 7:00

And a second article full of Mitch Straub double talk on Brand X FYI.

Edit - and yet another installment of Straub BS on Brand X, this one touting Anne McCoy with all of her "achievements" in the last 6 weeks as being the logical permanent AD. Was their anyone at that CougsFirst! event that could have shone some light on his complete BS at the event itself?

AND, I just realized that our 7PM game with SJSU is on FRIDAY!

Last edited:
Nice article but where does he get the estimated $1 million per game? And why did WSU budget -0- for media money if we have $4M for the uw game plus $1M for the others?

I'm going to break Board rules and link the latest from Brand X (below), which has more detail on game times.

Portland State - Noon
Texas Tech - TBD (bank on a late game)
mutts - TBD, out of our hands
SJSU - 7PM
Hawaii - 12:30 pr 7PM. Guess which one that will be?
Utah State Nov 9 - 12:30 or 7:30 - Guess which one that will be?
Wyoming Now 30 - 3:30. Not good but at least not 7:00

And a second article full of Mitch Straub double talk on Brand X FYI.
Good link. I found that the second article on the NIL beer interesting. I didn't know boise had a NIL beer as well.

It's not perfectly clear what "the deal is expected to generate approximately $1 million per game for the Cougars and Beavers" means, but it likely means $1m for the school hosting the game. That's pretty solid relative to expectations, based on how everything else has gone in the past couple years.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Good find M.I., thanks!

John Wilner says the Pac-12 settlement is "worth in excess of $200M" for the Cougs and Beavs ... but, unlike Loyal — who said the figure is about $125M each for the Cougs and Beavs — Wilner ain't an accountant.

The $6M here from CW-TV (Country & Western music-themed channel?) plus half of the TV money for the "not Apple Cup" should help

It's not perfectly clear what "the deal is expected to generate approximately $1 million per game for the Cougars and Beavers" means, but it likely means $1m for the school hosting the game. That's pretty solid relative to expectations, based on how everything else has gone in the past couple years.

Could you see Dr. Schultz agreeing to some one-and-done non-conference games next season with a Georgia or a Michigan or a Notre Dame, maybe even Oregon in order to get the big "appearance" checks?

The Pac-12 settlement was obviously a huge deal, but maybe Schultzie wants to help build a nice nest egg for his successor?

Last edited:

Could you see Dr. Schultz agreeing to some one-and-done non-conference games next season with a Georgia or a Michigan or a Notre Dame, maybe even Oregon in order to get the big "appearance" checks?

The Pac-12 settlement was obviously a huge deal, but maybe Schultzie wants to help build a nice nest egg for his successor?
Our TV deal is better than expected, but it still leaves WSU in a position where bodybag games are more desirable than they were in the (full) Pac-12 rev sharing environment. I don't like playing them, but from a pure $ perspective, I could see Schulz and the interim AD going for it.

They needed to get this year's schedule in place quickly, making that Mountain West scheduling deal make more sense than it otherwise would, but I could see some at WSU looking at it like this ... rather than paying Mountain West schools to play them, or something like that, they could get paid with a bodybag game.

Our current schedule for 2025 is this:

8/30 Idaho
9/6 SDSU
9/13 @ U. of North Texas
9/27 @ Virginia
TBA: UW (in Pullman, not Lumen)

I could see them adding a third road game like you describe, a game against Oregon State, and then adding 5 games in a lighter version of that Mountain West deal, assuming the broader landscape hasn't shifted again. It seems more likely next year than in 2026 and beyond; who knows what the conference situation will be in 2026, and they already have road games against Kansas State and UW scheduled in 2026. That said, most of these games are scheduled several years in advance, so it would need to be one of these schools needing to replace an opponent or something else unusual like that. Oregon is probably the most likely. Maybe Okie State buys out that 2025 trip to Autzen and the Ducks bring in WSU as a replacement. Unclear.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
8/30 Idaho
9/6 SDSU
9/13 @ U. of North Texas
9/27 @ Virginia
TBA: UW (in Pullman, not Lumen)

Definitely some available dates for Dr. Schultz and Anne McCoy to pull out the rolodex and call a few of their contacts at traditional Top 20 programs looking to complete their schedules

Definitely some available dates for Dr. Schultz and Anne McCoy to pull out the rolodex and call a few of their contacts at traditional Top 20 programs looking to complete their schedules
Geezus Pete - go get a PT job writing for Brand X. And you keep spelling Schulz name wrong. It's spelled like this: "I Know Nothing". And yes I'm sure Anne has a full rolodex of the Big-10 and SEC. WSU has a complete schedule, including non-con, for the next several years.

Kill the non-con "rival" game and give me a body-bag game in with any other B1G team or the SEC as its replacement, please.

Good find M.I., thanks!

John Wilner says the Pac-12 settlement is "worth in excess of $200M" for the Cougs and Beavs ... but, unlike Loyal — who said the figure is about $125M each for the Cougs and Beavs — Wilner ain't an accountant.

The $6M here from CW-TV (Country & Western music-themed channel?) plus half of the TV money for the "not Apple Cup" should help
I guess that CW was originally from CBS + Warner Bros, per Wikipedia.

Last edited:
I guess that CW is actually originated from CBS + Warner Bros, per Wikipedia.
Yeah, I think it was originally the WB (Warner bros) network, before some sort of unholy network shenanigans. the original home of a lot of the angsty teen shows on the 90s.

Geezus Pete - go get a PT job writing for Brand X.
Appreciate it Loyal, but writing for Brand X or Brand Z is probably above my pay grade. Those sites have thousands and thousands of subscribers and followers. They can afford to hire the best.

And you keep spelling Schulz name wrong. It's spelled like this: "I Know Nothing"

Apologies

For some crazy reason, when I see Pres. Schulz's name or picture, Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes immediately comes to mind.

But then I forget to correct the spelling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT