ADVERTISEMENT

KSU vs WSU

Nice deflection. You can pretend that the 11th bowl appearance in school history doesn't matter all you want, but it still happened.

BTW, your boy Price lost a couple of big bowl games too, and went 3-11 against UW.
Until Leach posts a winning record, which I don't think he'll do this yr, Mike Price will always be "my boy."

But on your above comment… have you ever lifted weights? If you take 9 months off, you drop off quite a bit. So yes, 9 months can make quite a difference.

This is where I struggle to believe things. I can't imagine a coach or a staff no matter how bad they are would not have players lift for nine months. They must have done something and had a program. I am fairly certain you would assume that as well. Perhaps the sc program was worse, that is possible. But would it be so much worse as to make a competent p10 player a rag doll in nine months? It may have been a worse sc program, but perhaps the players weren't that strong to begin with.

This is where I struggle to believe things. I can't imagine a coach or a staff no matter how bad they are would not have players lift for nine months. They must have done something and had a program. I am fairly certain you would assume that as well. Perhaps the sc program was worse, that is possible. But would it be so much worse as to make a competent p10 player a rag doll in nine months? It may have been a worse sc program, but perhaps the players weren't that strong to begin with.
I wasn't clear. I'm not saying they just took 9 months off. My bad.

None of the following players played a single snap in 2012 and were dismissed because many didn't meet the character/team rules qualifications held by the new coach.

Offensively only 6 scholarship lineman were available to start the 2012 season. And no matter what offense you have if you are not healthy on the O-line.

While everyone talks about Tuel/Halliday

To quote Harbaugh (the super bowl ring/still coaching in the nfl harbaugh)
"The quarterback is obviously critically important but if you don't have an offensive line, you can forget about it"

We've seen many teams have less talented QBs than Tuel and Halliday do well, but without an offensive line..they don't mean much.

Buchanon and Long were excellent players, but long was only for 1 year.

The biggest issue we ran into was the lack of DB depth after Buchanon / Horton / Carpenter / Washington left.

That was a lot to lose and only Tailulu / Brown remained. Brown was dismissed and we were left with an extremely green and young secondary. Oh yeah and Tracy Clark.
Tron when you talk about returning starters in 2008, why do you include Rowlands as to having four starters on the oline?

I wasn't clear. I'm not saying they just took 9 months off. My bad.
Well, if truth be told when a guy like Graise comes in at 220 and leaves at virtually the same weight, not sure they had great commitment to the weight room. That was long rumored to be the case that the players took advantage of Doba and didn't work hard in the weight room.

None of the following players played a single snap in 2012 and were dismissed because many didn't meet the character/team rules qualifications held by the new coach.

Offensively only 6 scholarship lineman were available to start the 2012 season. And no matter what offense you have if you are not healthy on the O-line.

While everyone talks about Tuel/Halliday

To quote Harbaugh (the super bowl ring/still coaching in the nfl harbaugh)
"The quarterback is obviously critically important but if you don't have an offensive line, you can forget about it"

We've seen many teams have less talented QBs than Tuel and Halliday do well, but without an offensive line..they don't mean much.

Buchanon and Long were excellent players, but long was only for 1 year.

The biggest issue we ran into was the lack of DB depth after Buchanon / Horton / Carpenter / Washington left.

That was a lot to lose and only Tailulu / Brown remained. Brown was dismissed and we were left with an extremely green and young secondary. Oh yeah and Tracy Clark.
Tron, I like Harbaugh. But when has the formula been at WSU about the oline? You really think 1997 was a highly recruited line with three and four stars on it? It was patchwork, as almost every line that has graced the field for WSU. I hope Leach is changing that. His body count is up but you do get hi left side is walkons.

Sorry, you missed the second line where I said we put no consistent pass rush on the QB.

You wrote none. Top half is certainly some.

The pass rush improved once Pole started seeing less time.

That is way different than 3-9.

You're providing unintentional comedy. Anyone that was paying attention knows that Wulff's 2008 season was nothing like 2012 or 2014. Your brother can break it down with his eyeballs for you if you want to look beyond the stats.

Tron, I like Harbaugh. But when has the formula been at WSU about the oline? You really think 1997 was a highly recruited line with three and four stars on it? It was patchwork, as almost every line that has graced the field for WSU. I hope Leach is changing that. His body count is up but you do get hi left side is walkons.
Careful...dgibbons might think you are indirectly replying to him.

Not recruiting any certainly didn't work.

I mean really, he is fighting for Wulff? He seems to be a little concerned about two 3-9 seasons.
Hasn't he said as much? As I recall, his statement was that he fights for Wulff when people post things that are wrong. Most people aren't the Fighters for Truth on an internet discussion board, of people they don't care about.

You wrote none. Top half is certainly some.

The pass rush improved once Pole started seeing less time.
Yes, then clearly I clarified the thought, IE "they do not get a consistent pass rush"....

Hasn't he said as much? As I recall, his statement was that he fights for Wulff when people post things that are wrong. Most people aren't the Fighters for Truth on an internet discussion board, of people they don't care about.
Actually, no. I do get tired of people just piling on ad nauseum and saying goofy shit that just isn't true just to continue piling on.

Same as when this big dude kept on picking in this kid me and my brother befriended at Shakers in 2004. Nothing I despise more than someone who kicks another when they're down.

Yes, then clearly I clarified the thought, IE "they do not get a consistent pass rush"....

Since you struggle to understand your own words:

"The second concern is no real pass rush. None. We don't put the QB on his back consistently enough to protect the back four."

This is kind of like Cooper and Pole playing 70 snaps per game, right?

Since you struggle to understand your own words:

"The second concern is no real pass rush. None. We don't put the QB on his back consistently enough to protect the back four."

I don't struggle to understand them. What part of we don't put the QB on his back CONSISTENTLY enough do you not understand? See, when I write CONSISTENTLY enough it means they do at times do it, but not on a consistent basis.

You mean, like, denying the medical definition of the flu?
I think people who play the game would call it goofy that the flu in the first quarter and the players first series the flu did not impair his judgment to call the play, to read the play correctly, to diagnose he had no one open, to scramble out to the right and see if anyone broke open. The only time the flu impaired his mental capacity was when he was less than 6 inches from being out of bounds and he simply forgot to step out of bounds because of the flu.

Well, when you show me a study that proves that the flu makes qb's take on linebackers, then maybe I'll take you seriously.
And you show me a coach who's ever made the move Wulff did and I'll consider doing the same.

And you show me a coach who's ever made the move Wulff did and I'll consider doing the same.
Nope...no one can show you because you think players should be withheld after the score is 14-0 in the first quarter against a bad lower level team.

Well, when you show me a study that proves that the flu makes qb's take on linebackers, then maybe I'll take you seriously.
Come on, man. You are focusing on the act, instead of the medical issue that caused the act. The flu causes the following:
-A high fever of 100 degrees or higher
-Chills
-Severe aches in your joints and muscles
-Pain and tiredness around your eyes
-Weakness or extreme fatigue
-Warm flushed skin and red watery eyes
-Headache
-Dry Cough
-Sore throat and runny nose
-Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
-Pain or pressure in your chest or belly
-Sudden dizziness
-Confusion
-Vomiting that can become severe
-Spacial perspective issues

So you don't see how just one of these, maybe even 2 or 3, might cause the situation Tuel was in? I don't think ANYONE is saying it gave him some ill-placed courage to take on an LB, which is what you seem to imply. But if he was dizzy, don't you think that could have caused the situation? How about the Spacial Perspective issue? Now combine that with Confusion… You really still don't think the Flu has symptoms that could have placed Tuel in a bad situation?!

No, you can't show me because only Wulff.
Players have come in after leading 14-0, you personally think the game is over and thus you wouldn't have played him. Coaches don't disrespect their opponents that way.

Come on, man. You are focusing on the act, instead of the medical issue that caused the act. The flu causes the following:
-A high fever of 100 degrees or higher
-Chills
-Severe aches in your joints and muscles
-Pain and tiredness around your eyes
-Weakness or extreme fatigue
-Warm flushed skin and red watery eyes
-Headache
-Dry Cough
-Sore throat and runny nose
-Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
-Pain or pressure in your chest or belly
-Sudden dizziness
-Confusion
-Vomiting that can become severe
-Spacial perspective issues

So you don't see how just one of these, maybe even 2 or 3, might cause the situation Tuel was in? I don't think ANYONE is saying it gave him some ill-placed courage to take on an LB, which is what you seem to imply. But if he was dizzy, don't you think that could have caused the situation? How about the Spacial Perspective issue? Now combine that with Confusion… You really still don't think the Flu has symptoms that could have placed Tuel in a bad situation?!
Yes 95, if it wasn't the first series. If he lost his facilities and called the wrong play. If he wasn't mentally sharp to look down field after he was smart enough to escape the pocket. But he did everything right but when the adrenalin kicked in he didn't get out of bounds.

Again, he wasn't confused when he called the play, nor when he made the read and didn't throw it up for grabs. He didn't seem confused to run out of the pocket when in danger. The only time is when he was 6 inchs from the sideline he had the flu and it got the best of him.

Yet you can't remember a single one. Even though it's super common. You just don't know any.
Not against d-2. I said it is common for players to play sick all the time. They play shot up with a pain killer for crying out loud. They play with bruised and sometimes broken ribs. I even showed you an NFL Cb who played with the flu all game long in a meaningless game.

Yes 95, if it wasn't the first series. If he lost his facilities and called the wrong play. If he wasn't mentally sharp to look down field after he was smart enough to escape the pocket. But he did everything right but when the adrenalin kicked in he didn't get out of bounds.

Again, he wasn't confused when he called the play, nor when he made the read and didn't throw it up for grabs. He didn't seem confused to run out of the pocket when in danger. The only time is when he was 6 inchs from the sideline he had the flu and it got the best of him.
First, Show me how you know any of this. And if you give me, "The doctor cleared him so he was OKAY.", just an FYI, I'll come back to ask how HE knew if he was having spacial issues, dizziness or confusion DURING that play.

But my REAL point: NONE of this is "provable". You and Sponges perspective or mine. He very well could have been confused, you nor I would know. My only point is, the above symptoms can cause the situation he was in. The whole issue has been that Sponge has continued to say the flu couldn't have caused poor judgement. And that is completely wrong. If I'm confused, literally a symptom of the flu, I might not make the proper choice in any given situation. If I have visual spacial issues, I might not know exactly what's going on around me. If I'm dizzy, I might even make the proper choice but physically unable.

And the point that I think completely passes you and Sponge by, as we all know (at least those of us that have had the flu), these symptoms easily come and go. One moment, your fine. You get up off the coach or get out of bed, go to the kitchen and all the sudden your dizzy when you weren't a minute ago. I know this happens to me every time I have the flu. Yet Sponge, and it appears you as well, don't think this is even possible. As if you were in Tuels head, know exactly how he felt during that situation. And that is where you are wrong. I don't know if the flu affected him. I know it could have. It's you and Sponge that are saying it COULN'T have affected him. How you know that, I haven't the foggiest.

EDIT: And might I add, I do believe this is a prime example where you and your brother have gotten caught just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing. You're being contrarian strictly based on whom you are talking to. This is truly basic medical fact and you and Sponge are arguing against it. You are arguing science… basic science. Medical science of one of the most researched "bugs" that humans are affected by. But yeah, you and Sponge are right. The Medical Community are aaaaalllllll wrong.

Last edited:

Well, again, 6th in conference games would indicate a real pass rush. Not NONE.

First, Show me how you know any of this. And if you give me, "The doctor cleared him so he was OKAY.", just an FYI, I'll come back to ask how HE knew if he was having spacial issues, dizziness or confusion DURING that play.

But my REAL point: NONE of this is "provable". You and Sponges perspective or mine. He very well could have been confused, you nor I would know. My only point is, the above symptoms can cause the situation he was in. The whole issue has been that Sponge has continued to say the flu couldn't have caused poor judgement. And that is completely wrong. If I'm confused, literally a symptom of the flu, I might not make the proper choice in any given situation. If I have visual spacial issues, I might not know exactly what's going on around me. If I'm dizzy, I might even make the proper choice but physically unable.

And the point that I think completely passes you and Sponge by, as we all know (at least those of us that have had the flu), these symptoms easily come and go. One moment, your fine. You get up off the coach or get out of bed, go to the kitchen and all the sudden your dizzy when you weren't a minute ago. I know this happens to me every time I have the flu. Yet Sponge, and it appears you as well, don't think this is even possible. As if you were in Tuels head, know exactly how he felt during that situation. And that is where you are wrong. I don't know if the flu affected him. I know it could have. It's you and Sponge that are saying it COULN'T have affected him. How you know that, I haven't the foggiest.

EDIT: And might I add, I do believe this is a prime example where you and your brother have gotten caught just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing. You're being contrarian strictly based on whom you are talking to. This is truly basic medical fact and you and Sponge are arguing against it. You are arguing science… basic science. Medical science of one of the most researched "bugs" that humans are affected by. But yeah, you and Sponge are right. The Medical Community are aaaaalllllll wrong.
It is a medical fact that flu would make Jeff Tuel take on linebackers? Yes, I've had the flu, played sports with the flu, and it doesn't make you do the dumbest thing you can possibly do in a given situation.

"Hey Coach Bryant...I have the flu...and it might make me take on a linebacker instead of getting out of bounds. I'll just go ahead and sit this one out if its just the same with you"

It is a medical fact that flu would make Jeff Tuel take on linebackers? Yes, I've had the flu, played sports with the flu, and it doesn't make you do the dumbest thing you can possibly do in a given situation.

"Hey Coach Bryant...I have the flu...and it might make me take on a linebacker instead of getting out of bounds. I'll just go ahead and sit this one out if its just the same with you"
So you are saying you and Tuel are cut from the same cloth? Wow. Color me pink, I'm impressed with your manliness. Dare I say, I've got a man-crush on you… Tuel was on top of my list but now he's second… you are kinda handsome… (blush :rolleyes:) How You Doin'?

We've literally pulled scientific articles, we've outlined the symptoms and we've outlined, point by point, how it could have affected someone. But yeah… you're smarterer and your brains are workin' harderer than the scientific peoples that have those new fangled things that make small things really big… what are those called? Micro… mecro, macro… Microscopic thingies. They only went to school on these things. But you're a football player, so yeah. You're WAAAAAAAAY smarter than them smarty pants.

And when we bring up literal scientific fact, you bring up that you played football… Nice. I don't know what I was thinking. Of course you're smarter…. er….. er….. You're waaay smartererererer. That's how smart you are.

The funny thing, you keep thinking you are arguing me, or Wulffui or whomever. You are literally arguing with the CDC and the medical community… because you've played football.

It's always Bear Bryant or Bill Belichick as your Wulff comps, which, you know, none so blind... Why not be real and invoke your Holmoe's and Teevens and Marinelli's when discussing Wulff?

So you are saying you and Tuel are cut from the same cloth? Wow. Color me pink, I'm impressed with your manliness. Dare I say, I've got a man-crush on you… Tuel was on top of my list but now he's second… you are kinda handsome… (blush :rolleyes:) How You Doin'?

We've literally pulled scientific articles, we've outlined the symptoms and we've outlined, point by point, how it could have affected someone. But yeah… you're smarterer and your brains are workin' harderer than the scientific peoples that have those new fangled things that make small things really big… what are those called? Micro… mecro, macro… Microscopic thingies. They only went to school on these things. But you're a football player, so yeah. You're WAAAAAAAAY smarter than them smarty pants.

And when we bring up literal scientific fact, you bring up that you played football… Nice. I don't know what I was thinking. Of course you're smarter…. er….. er….. You're waaay smartererererer. That's how smart you are.

The funny thing, you keep thinking you are arguing me, or Wulffui or whomever. You are literally arguing with the CDC and the medical community… because you've played football.
Yuck...and creepy is about all I have to say about the mancrush part of your post.

The thing about science is..its an inexact science. One minute science says Butter is bad for you and margarine is good for you...the next minute vice versa.

And labcoat science fails all the time in the athletic community. Ask Biggs...he'll tell you about the plethora of failures of so called "scientific" weightlifting routines where real world results trump what "science" says.

And yes, I will say that if you have played football, you will know that while you may feel like crap, it doesn't make you take on linebackers, no matter what the ivory tower lab geeks say.

I really do wish Bear Bryant could listen in on this convo. I am sure he is smiling down and chuckling with his favorite glass of bourbon.

Last edited:
It's always Bear Bryant or Bill Belichick as your Wulff comps, which, you know, none so blind... Why not be real and invoke your Holmoe's and Teevens and Marinelli's when discussing Wulff?
I use them because they would laugh at you for saying Jeff Tuel shouldn't have played even though he was cleared...and that the flu would cause Jeff Tuel to take on a linebacker.

You act like players have never played in games with the flu. It happens all the time...and not just football.

The pussification of society is at work on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT