ADVERTISEMENT

Leach is #1!!!

Did Wulff see something the other coaches didn't? Or did he see the same things and he was the only coach who HAD to take them?

And again, when you recruit roughly 100 guys who 11 of 12 other Pac 12 coaches generally don't want, then throw those guys into starting roles early, a couple of them are bound to turn out. Hey, kudos to him for getting them, I just don't find it all that impressive a feat from a recruiting standpoint.

And no, WSU doesn't have a history of having OL drafted, and neither does Wulff, really. Roos was a 2nd rounder and Williams was a 6th. That's over 20 years of coaching. That's not impressive, regardless how pathetic WSU's history is in comparison.
How many oline for example did Doba recruit in his four years with a 10 win season in his rear view mirror. How many went on and got drafted or made an NFL roster?

Secondly, did he see something in them no one else did? Yeah, when they were offered early, yeah I think he and his staff did. Just like Asante Cleveland. No one else thought anything of him, yet he was offered by WSU. Then Miami came after the kid late in the season. He bolted and is now on the 49er roster.

In the whole PX? He was the only one? You realize there's not a WSU specific all-freshman team, right?
Yes Wulffui, he was the only freshman that started that entire year. A freshman at USC made the team and he barely played. Stanford the same case.

Here's the thing with Wulff's recruiting, and I've said this before. He recruited exactly as well as I would expect the worst coach in the conference to recruit. He brought in Bucannon, Williams, Long, Fullington, Tuel, Wilson, Halliday & Xavier Cooper. That the extend of his NFL resume at WSU?

Let's really take a look at what that actually is. Bucannon was an All American and a 1st rounder. He joins a very short list of WSU players with those accolades. Stud. Williams was a JC guy who made minimal impact, was a 6th rounder and did nothing in the league. Long, while a very good player at WSU was an UDFA and hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL. Fullington has bounced around from practice squad to practice squad. Tuel, to his benefit, has managed to stick on a roster, but is currently holding a clipboard in Buffalo. Wilson was a 7th round pick and has 19 career receptions to his name. Cooper is projected to be a late round draft pick. Halliday might be a 7th rounder, or an UDFA. Now look, I'd take any one of those guys (save for maybe Wilson) back on the team right now, but honestly, that is not really that impressive a resume for 4 recruiting classes. Look back at WSU's draft history and tell me how many 4 year periods we only had 5 players drafted and 3 UDFAs.

Now, as for how Wulff got these guys. I will agree with Ed that player acquisition is player acquisition, but let's not pretend Wulff beat out all comers for these guys, or even has some magic eye for talent. Wulff didn't "discover" Wilson, Bucannon & Cooper based on his savvy, or relentless effort. Every coach in the conference knew who those guys were. The knock on Wilson was that he was too thin and not fast enough, and everyone knew Bucannon could lay the lumber, but there was question if he had the speed to play safety at this level. The knock on Cooper was his grades.

Wulff landed those guys because he had little other choice. When you're the worst coach in the conference, by a mile, you are forced to take fringy Pac 12 players. And you know what happens when you take around 100 fringy Pac 12 players in 4 classes? By darn, a couple of them actually pan out. We've seen it for years. Heck, even Doba's staff, who took the same approach to recruiting as I take to flossing, managed to land Jason Hill, Brandon Gibson, Jed Collins & the Abdullah brothers.

So, did Wulff land a few talented players? Yes he did. But, I mean, how couldn't he? He was still offering a Pac 12 scholarship.

Bravo! Bravo!

How many oline for example did Doba recruit in his four years with a 10 win season in his rear view mirror. How many went on and got drafted or made an NFL roster?

Secondly, did he see something in them no one else did? Yeah, when they were offered early, yeah I think he and his staff did. Just like Asante Cleveland. No one else thought anything of him, yet he was offered by WSU. Then Miami came after the kid late in the season. He bolted and is now on the 49er roster.

I don't really care how many NFL linemen Doba recruited. Nor do I care how many Price recruited. Wulff's resume of recruiting NFL linemen is not that impressive to me.

And Wulff saw the same things the other coaches saw. The other coaches just didn't have to take a flier on an academic risk, or someone who was a step too slow or 25 lbs too light. Wulff did. They ended up being good. Big deal, happens all the time.

Yes Wulffui, he was the only freshman that started that entire year. A freshman at USC made the team and he barely played. Stanford the same case.

I will agree with you here though, Ed. Pac 12 All Freshman is a pretty flimsy honor. Usually goes to whichever freshman actually play, basically by default.

Heck, I think Chima Nwachukwu was Pac12 All Frosh team.

It doesn't go to the fact you cant have a great college career and yet not get drafted. It goes to the fact maybe a guy who got Roos drafted out of Eastern and is a pro bowler, and Williams out of WSU when that doesn't happen very often may know what a good lineman looks like and that they may have a very good reason for not playing Reed. It may be as simple as Reed being out of shape, not knowing the playbook, or not having the feet to play. While you praise Leach for playing three walkons and another man's trash, when Wulff plays Pencer you think someone else should have played. Now, if you told me you were at more than one practice, and you could tell me why he should play, then it is just BS that this is a criticism. Feel free to criticize the results, and we can each determine why they aren't getting them, but not playing a JC kid who quite frankly wasn't very good in the limited time I saw him seems a bit strange. You know, I may think the 2014 defense was bad, but did you ever once hear me go off about Monroe being yanked for Pelluer? The same Monroe that Leach took down to media day.

If Wulff was the OL genius you claim, it would have been nice of him to land a few more decent offensive linemen.

Here's the thing with Wulff's recruiting, and I've said this before. He recruited exactly as well as I would expect the worst coach in the conference to recruit. He brought in Bucannon, Williams, Long, Fullington, Tuel, Wilson, Halliday & Xavier Cooper. That the extend of his NFL resume at WSU?

Let's really take a look at what that actually is. Bucannon was an All American and a 1st rounder. He joins a very short list of WSU players with those accolades. Stud. Williams was a JC guy who made minimal impact, was a 6th rounder and did nothing in the league. Long, while a very good player at WSU was an UDFA and hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL. Fullington has bounced around from practice squad to practice squad. Tuel, to his benefit, has managed to stick on a roster, but is currently holding a clipboard in Buffalo. Wilson was a 7th round pick and has 19 career receptions to his name. Cooper is projected to be a late round draft pick. Halliday might be a 7th rounder, or an UDFA. Now look, I'd take any one of those guys (save for maybe Wilson) back on the team right now, but honestly, that is not really that impressive a resume for 4 recruiting classes. Look back at WSU's draft history and tell me how many 4 year periods we only had 5 players drafted and 3 UDFAs.

Now, as for how Wulff got these guys. I will agree with Ed that player acquisition is player acquisition, but let's not pretend Wulff beat out all comers for these guys, or even has some magic eye for talent. Wulff didn't "discover" Wilson, Bucannon & Cooper based on his savvy, or relentless effort. Every coach in the conference knew who those guys were. The knock on Wilson was that he was too thin and not fast enough, and everyone knew Bucannon could lay the lumber, but there was question if he had the speed to play safety at this level. The knock on Cooper was his grades.

Wulff landed those guys because he had little other choice. When you're the worst coach in the conference, by a mile, you are forced to take fringy Pac 12 players. And you know what happens when you take around 100 fringy Pac 12 players in 4 classes? By darn, a couple of them actually pan out. We've seen it for years. Heck, even Doba's staff, who took the same approach to recruiting as I take to flossing, managed to land Jason Hill, Brandon Gibson, Jed Collins & the Abdullah brothers.

So, did Wulff land a few talented players? Yes he did. But, I mean, how couldn't he? He was still offering a Pac 12 scholarship.

Wulff took a lot of borderline guys. Borderline on talent, borderline on grades and borderline on character. Some worked out, the vast majority didn't. That's how you go 9-40.

Wulff's problem on OL was the numbers. Taking 2 (at most) HS OL projects per year was doomed to fail, and his failure on the OL was epic.

I will agree with you here though, Ed. Pac 12 All Freshman is a pretty flimsy honor. Usually goes to whichever freshman actually play, basically by default.

Heck, I think Chima Nwachukwu was Pac12 All Frosh team.

Chima Nwachukwu and Micah Hammam actually made Freshman All-American lists. They were good when they had coaches that knew what they were doing. They are but two of almost the entire team that Wulff wrecked and played worse the very next season and beyond. Wulff was horrible. It is why he was fired after one year at USF. He cannot coach. He cannot recruit. He destroyed the program.

You know someone does not know what he thinks he knows and everything else he writes is suspect when he gets his very first sentence WRONG. Mike Riley left for the San Diego Chargers after TWO years.

Yes, Riley left after two years, but he left the framework of a BCS bowl team for Erickson, did he not? If you don't like the Riley analogy, try Erickson. He took the Beavs to a BCS bowl game and a 11-1 season after only two years, and their first winning season in 29 years in year one . I didn't use Erickson because I anticipate the retort, that he coached a team built by Riley, which is true.

If you have the guts, try to address the ultimate premise.

BTW the 5 wins OSU had in year two under Riley was the most they had since 1971.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Yes, Riley left after two years, but he left the framework of a BCS bowl team for Erickson, did he not? If you don't like the Riley analogy, try Erickson. He took the Beavs to a BCS bowl game and a 11-1 season after only two years, and their first winning season in 29 years in year one . I didn't use Erickson because I anticipate the retort, that he coached a team built by Riley, which is true.
If you have the guts, try to address the ultimate premise Biggs, you are a student of the game.
BTW the 5 wins OSU had in year two under Riley was the most they had since 1971.

After two years where he peaked at 5-6, no less. Too bad Leach didn't leave after last year, when he'd "turned it around"- by some standards, at least.

Here's my only issue with your premise. It's easy to find the programs that are successful, in some form. You've pointed out a few. But you ignore all the programs that try, and fail or are in the process. Look at just about any/all programs that are in the bottom tier of any conference. Look at the programs that are trying to battle Boise State and Colorado State. Look at us, look at Vandy. They/we are "trying" to be successful as well. And they are sucking at it. And will continue to suck at it but we don't know how they will look in 5 years. Look at Mississippi State! Talk about a dumpster fire and it didn't take 3 years. That coach might have been there for a short time but that stuff doesn't happen over night. Because this isn't something where there is a formula of success. This isn't easy, otherwise everyone would do it. No one want's to be bottom tier, even Sterk. I guess my point… I get what you are saying but you are looking at it very linear. You seem to actually be saying, if it doesn't happen within the first 3-5 years IT WON'T HAPPEN. Bull. Even if CML doesn't work out, he's building the foundation that will allow the next coach to be successful, just like you point out with Riley/Erickson. The time (3-5 years) is irrelevant. Because I can guarantee you, if CML doesn't work out, he'll still be here for 7 years total, IMHO. And if we are successful AFTER he leaves, you can place much of that success on his 7 years of building.

Last edited:
It was a wash at best. Doba left it on fire, Turd pushed the fire into a dumpster.

He is so bad I wouldn't trust him to wrap cheeseburgers at McDonald's.

He may not have left a good team but it was much better than the squad he inherited. Likewise, if Leach leaves tomorrow he will leave a better team than he inherited.

Reactions: chinookpirate
Let's not forget, Bill Moos picked Wulff because he felt at the time, Paul Wulff was the first, best option to rebuild the WSU football program on a D1-FCS coaching and recruiting budget.

If you have the guts, try to address the ultimate premise Biggs, you are a student of the game.

I have guts. What you don't have is knowledge. You do have a good backpedal though as you try to not look like you don't know what you're talking about.

How about this. I think it's fair to say that Harbaugh at Stanford is considered the gold standard for rebuilds. Harbaugh didn't get Stanford to a bowl game in year 2. Yes, Harbaugh's year 3 was better.

It was a wash at best. Doba left it on fire, Turd pushed the fire into a dumpster.

He is so bad I wouldn't trust him to wrap cheeseburgers at McDonald's.

Why would you trust him with that?

I kid. Mostly.

I don't really care how many NFL linemen Doba recruited. Nor do I care how many Price recruited. Wulff's resume of recruiting NFL linemen is not that impressive to me.

And Wulff saw the same things the other coaches saw. The other coaches just didn't have to take a flier on an academic risk, or someone who was a step too slow or 25 lbs too light. Wulff did. They ended up being good. Big deal, happens all the time.
When was the last time WSU had two draft choices from t the State of Washington?... personally, I think that IS a big deal. a really big deal.

He may not have left a good team but it was much better than the squad he inherited. Likewise, if Leach leaves tomorrow he will leave a better team than he inherited.

Can't agree with that either. Wulff created a lot of his own problems that were somehow imputed to Doba. Like the "drug culture" stuff. How many guys ran a growing operation at WSU before Wulff arrived? How many guys got popped for PEDs before Wulff arrived?

Let's not forget, Bill Moos picked Wulff because he felt at the time, Paul Wulff was the first, best option to rebuild the WSU football program on a D1-FCS coaching and recruiting budget.
I thought the AD hired coaches.

Bill Moos was on a committee that had the courtesy to not publicly undercut the choice Jim Sterk, the AD who hired Wulff made. In hindsight, he shouldn't have been so diplomatic. But Bill Moos didn't "pick" him.

Your "ultimate premise" was that "Leach-type contracts" should only go to Mike Riley types... who, in his first stint- plateaued after two seasons... with less success than Mike Leach.

So, in essence, your premise is that only Mike Leach type coaches deserve Mike Leach type contracts. Agreed.

Wulff was hired to clean up the drug culture... something every community in America struggles with... Drug busts and player suspensions abound... the D1-FCS funded staff fails to adequately recruit into that culture... Sterk bails for a raise and San Diego for his teenagers... hoping to leave behind the health problems caused by a contentious relationship between a successful coach who most (now) love and a Tyrant bent on using WSU to fulfill some personal fantasy grudge match he has with Universities and Major college sports in general... the guy who hired Wulff and his FCS staff is hired as his official Boss ... allows a few bucks for a few coaching upgrades on the Titanic while designing his Field of Dreams. Armed with the support of the regents, vision shared with and support of Dr. Floyd... new and re-newed financial commitment of donors, Moos makes his move finds and invests in a first class staff for the growth phase of his plan... he honors the financial commitment 100% to the man he hired to purge filth that results in drug busts, player arrests and suspensions.

Moos then turns his attention... and everybody else's who is willing to fly the flag... toward digging out of this hole. While the bowl game was nice, losing it in retrospect was fitting as nobody... from coach to player... was ready to put that game on their back and carry us over the finish line and win it.

Tomorrow, for the first time, we will get a sneak peek at Leach's 'first' team. From my view, the transition is now, finally, complete. In many spots, we will be very young, however, we will have athlete's for depth available and the next two-three recruiting classes for Leach to recruit into these starters as they are emerging/developing.

There have been comparisons between Price's W/L record his first three years and Leach's in his first three. As much as you can compare different era's, most of those comparisons are probably fair. Price it seemed would re-load a roster, make a run, lather rinse repeat.

It seems to me, Mike Leach has finally, reloaded the roster and is poised to make a run over the next three years. Tomorrow, we get a sneak peek.

You are delusional if you think what was left was "much better."
Biggs it is not even close. Start with the most important position on the field. He not only left with one qb, he left them with two. Plus Clements who played at UAB. And where is Apodoca?

Letf him with three DT's, one was suspened, and two played three years for him, and they were productive. How many DT's did Doba sign and leave to Wulff.

Wulff left them with a functional line. Again, read functional. Certainly got hammered against USC and Stanford, but held their own against bottom 2/3's.

Corners were average at best, except Simmons, but enough experience to bridge the gap. All of these players had at least two if not three years left to play.

How the hell are you going to win with Lopina and JT Levenseller at QB. You know, if any of those players had experience I might change my thinking a bit, but they didn't.

Fab what happens all the time. Being the first one to offer a kid then others catch on? You know, I would agree with you if these offers were made in the fall, and they had no where else to go. Geoff Meinken out of Lynnwood was first offered by WSU. Then Harbaugh offered after he saw him play in the fall.

I am not sure what would impress you. Taken at face value it wouldn't impress me until I compare it to what WSU has done in the past. It is at least above average in comparison.

Chima Nwachukwu and Micah Hammam actually made Freshman All-American lists. They were good when they had coaches that knew what they were doing. They are but two of almost the entire team that Wulff wrecked and played worse the very next season and beyond. Wulff was horrible. It is why he was fired after one year at USF. He cannot coach. He cannot recruit. He destroyed the program.
Love Chima...he certainly wasn't a corner, and he was slow by safety standards as well. Go back to the HAwaii game when he picked up a fumble at the two and started to run for a TD. Hawaii's offensive guard chased him down. That was alarming.

Biggs it is not even close. Start with the most important position on the field. He not only left with one qb, he left them with two. Plus Clements who played at UAB. And where is Apodoca?

Letf him with three DT's, one was suspened, and two played three years for him, and they were productive. How many DT's did Doba sign and leave to Wulff.

Wulff left them with a functional line. Again, read functional. Certainly got hammered against USC and Stanford, but held their own against bottom 2/3's.

Corners were average at best, except Simmons, but enough experience to bridge the gap. All of these players had at least two if not three years left to play.

How the hell are you going to win with Lopina and JT Levenseller at QB. You know, if any of those players had experience I might change my thinking a bit, but they didn't.

The OL was not functional. Not even close. QB was better, but that was the only position that was. Who are these three DTs you speak of? Pole and the guy that got suspended for stealing headphones is two. Cooper hadn't played a down.

How the hell are you going to win with a roster full of empty locker stalls?

Wulff was hired to clean up the drug culture... something every community in America struggles with... Drug busts and player suspensions abound... the D1-FCS funded staff fails to adequately recruit into that culture... Sterk bails for a raise and San Diego for his teenagers... hoping to leave behind the health problems caused by a contentious relationship between a successful coach who most (now) love and a Tyrant bent on using WSU to fulfill some personal fantasy grudge match he has with Universities and Major college sports in general... the guy who hired Wulff and his FCS staff is hired as his official Boss ... allows a few bucks for a few coaching upgrades on the Titanic while designing his Field of Dreams. Armed with the support of the regents, vision shared with and support of Dr. Floyd... new and re-newed financial commitment of donors, Moos makes his move finds and invests in a first class staff for the growth phase of his plan... he honors the financial commitment 100% to the man he hired to purge filth that results in drug busts, player arrests and suspensions.

Moos then turns his attention... and everybody else's who is willing to fly the flag... toward digging out of this hole. While the bowl game was nice, losing it in retrospect was fitting as nobody... from coach to player... was ready to put that game on their back and carry us over the finish line and win it.

Tomorrow, for the first time, we will get a sneak peek at Leach's 'first' team. From my view, the transition is now, finally, complete. In many spots, we will be very young, however, we will have athlete's for depth available and the next two-three recruiting classes for Leach to recruit into these starters as they are emerging/developing.

There have been comparisons between Price's W/L record his first three years and Leach's in his first three. As much as you can compare different era's, most of those comparisons are probably fair. Price it seemed would re-load a roster, make a run, lather rinse repeat.

It seems to me, Mike Leach has finally, reloaded the roster and is poised to make a run over the next three years. Tomorrow, we get a sneak peek.

Sure. The great stable mucker. Explain away the PEDs, if you dare.

Wulff was the worst coach in program history. That's the way it is.

Love Chima...he certainly wasn't a corner, and he was slow by safety standards as well. Go back to the HAwaii game when he picked up a fumble at the two and started to run for a TD. Hawaii's offensive guard chased him down. That was alarming.

Kind of like how Horton looked like he was going to pass out on his way to the endzone against Oregon in 2011? Should we talk about Tyree Toomer getting spun around like a top?

So disastrous to atrocious is leaving the program better off. Got it.

Spin, spin, spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Face it, you have no idea what you are talking about. You could not get something extremely fundamental correct. Now you are spinning out of control. The fact is that Erickson was the coach who got them to their greatest heights AFTER Riley left coaching only two years. He recruited several outstanding JC players that made immediate impacts.

All of you really do not understand that the biggest thing is teaching a team how to win. Not all coaches can do this. Especially when there has been a drought of success. Erickson got OSU over the hump, not Riley. Many of you keep on giving Wulff more credit than he deserved. The more I look back on his time in Pullman, the worse it gets. I look at other Air Raid coaches install the offense very quickly. TCU was bad two years ago, they hire a Leach disciple and they turn into a good offense. It was the same with Leach at every stop before Pullman.
Bull. Your blind too. This is the first time you have told this story. It used to be the ND TE caught him from behind. Next month it will be Pete Carroll's dead grandmother ran him down from the grave.

Like I wrote in the premium board where you laughed. Same old Ed is back en force. I was right again as usual.

Face it, you have no idea what you are talking about. You could not get something extremely fundamental correct. Now you are spinning out of control. The fact is that Erickson was the coach who got them to their greatest heights AFTER Riley left coaching only two years. He recruited several outstanding JC players that made immediate impacts.

All of you really do not understand that the biggest thing is teaching a team how to win. Not all coaches can do this. Especially when there has been a drought of success. Erickson got OSU over the hump, not Riley. Many of you keep on giving Wulff more credit than he deserved. The more I look back on his time in Pullman, the worse it gets. I look at other Air Raid coaches install the offense very quickly. TCU was bad two years ago, they hire a Leach disciple and they turn into a good offense. It was the same with Leach at every stop before Pullman.

Bull. Your blind too. This is the first time you have told this story. It used to be the ND TE caught him from behind. Next month it will be Pete Carroll's dead grandmother ran him down from the grave.

Like I wrote in the premium board where you laughed. Same old Ed is back en force. I was right again as usual.
Yes, when you wrote I was back enforce on the premium board I had actually had two posts on the freeloader board, and it was a simple question to BH, what should our expectations be. And if another person wants to jump in on the state of recruiting that was left by the staff in 2007 that person can feel free to do so. They heard the same thing I did and they post on this board. And 1990, even if the person who told me was dead wrong, the fact they had two kids committed and I think 5 kids that visited tells me what they were doing in recruiting.

This is the second time I heard about the TE running down Chima that has been attributed to me. Having a TE run down a DB isn't that eye opening. There are some very fast TE's out there. But watch the Hawaii replay, Chima was caught by an OG. Not an angle, chased down. That doesn't mean Chima was horrible, it means he was not a corner, and if that was his speed then you better have someone back there with him that is a blazer. Either that, or move him up a level, which I thought was his ideal position. And yes, I would make the same comment about Toomer. He would have been way more effective at LB.

But not sure how this got so far out of balance. I made a simple comment that last years defense was rival that to 2009. Yes, tongue in cheek, but after simply looking at the numbers it wasn't far off. raw number are 462 points given up, 2010 422, 2011 381, 2012 404, 2013 375 and 2014 463. You can interpret them however you want.

Sure. The great stable mucker. Explain away the PEDs, if you dare.

Wulff was the worst coach in program history. That's the way it is.[/QUOTE
Yeah he did...then recruited his own guys. That is how it is done.
Unsure why this salient point remains a mystery for some, seemingly.

Wulff didn't cut far enough, fast enough and he didn't get full classes, on campus, and in school. Had he landed 25 on campus in 2008, 2009 and 2010, he would have had greater raw material for the upgraded staff Moos allowed in the end. Wulff gave speeches early on about how he had to recruit, recruit, recruit. He failed at that and was justifiably fired.

1990, are you saying it didn't happen? Are you saying Chima picked up a fumble against Hawaii and was not caught by a lineman? This is not the first time I have told this story. It was at that point that I realized how slow WSU as a program had become. So no, not the first time I told the Chima story. But are you disputing that is what happened?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT