ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland....

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Puts their head coach and now strength coach and trainer on leave as they investigate the toxic, abusive environment that led to the death of a player in June.

Hmmm - wonder if they wish they had hired CML back in 2010(?) despite what they considered a bizarre interview?

And it makes WSU's Leach Beach, midnight maneuvers and alleged watering down of players look kind of tame, eh?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24351869/undefined

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-leave-amid-investigation-jordan-mcnair-death

In other paid admin leave news, nothing new on Urban Meyer, although the stories from the mothers of Smith and ex-wife are becoming more prominent. I expect Meyer to be back in a week.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/10/17674152/zach-smith-urban-meyer-ohio-state

And poor Rob Spear, Idaho's AD, continues to dangle in the wind after 4 1/2 months on leave in the investigation of his handling of a years-old case. Summary: Yes he did not do his job when informed of a FB players sexual-assault behavior (luckily for the victim no rape occurred). Is it s firing offense? Who knows, but there are no new facts 5 years later. How long does it take?

Hmmm - wonder if they wish they had hired CML back in 2010(?) despite what they considered a bizarre interview?
on

Thought the same thing. I like to dream about their under armor alum coming over to us to root for the coach he wanted.

And poor Rob Spear, Idaho's AD, continues to dangle in the wind after 4 1/2 months on leave in the investigation of his handling of a years-old case. Summary: Yes he did not do his job when informed of a FB players sexual-assault behavior (luckily for the victim no rape occurred). Is it s firing offense? Who knows, but there are no new facts 5 years later. How long does it take?

A few new items hit the Moscow-Pullman and Boise papers this past week regarding Spears. Unrelated to the issue that they put him on leave for, but it doesn't paint a very good picture of how he handled (or failed to handle) additional past issues for some U of I athletes. I'd be surprised if he's retained by the U of I.

A few new items hit the Moscow-Pullman and Boise papers this past week regarding Spears. Unrelated to the issue that they put him on leave for, but it doesn't paint a very good picture of how he handled (or failed to handle) additional past issues for some U of I athletes. I'd be surprised if he's retained by the U of I.

I started to respond but then went and read the recent Statesman article on Spear. Wow - a whole lot of new stuff that I did not know about. The apparent rape victim that was not supported, the Kiser transfer thing, etc.

I was going to post that they should just reinstate him and let him retire or move on (quickly). They can non-renew his contract and let him go away like they are with Staben.

BUT, know that I read the Boise article, I say out with that woman oppressor now. Serious on that.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article216332905.html

I'll say that after reading that article (which is obviously only one side of the story), it's hard to feel sorry for Idaho's fall from grace in football and I can't help but think that if they keep Spear around, they deserve anything that happens to them.

On the Maryland thing, it sounds like the head coach and SC guy were clueless fools with a little too much Uncle Rico rattling around in their heads.

I started to respond but then went and read the recent Statesman article on Spear. Wow - a whole lot of new stuff that I did not know about. The apparent rape victim that was not supported, the Kiser transfer thing, etc.

I was going to post that they should just reinstate him and let him retire or move on (quickly). They can non-renew his contract and let him go away like they are with Staben.

BUT, know that I read the Boise article, I say out with that woman oppressor now. Serious on that.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article216332905.html

In cases like this, Idaho and Maryland, the question is not whether the offender leaves but when and how. (Assuming that the reports are true and the school's authorities are not stupid enough to continue on their current track.) The targets of the investigations are effectively gone at this time. Now the issue is how to do it as cheaply as possible. It would scratch an itch to boot them now and make a strong moral point but at what cost? Millions of school dollars out the door over the next four or five years that could have been put to good use otherwise. Millions that go to a person who harmed the school's reputation. Maybe the Texas's. BYUs and USCs and the like can afford it but Maryland and Idaho cannot. If they cannot be fired for cause- and even that could entail an expensive and embarrassing lawsuit- then wait until it can be done for little or no monetary damage to the school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT