ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan alcohol sales and ACC Spring Meeting

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
The Allmighty Loyal One multitasking again.

Michigan to allow alcohol sales in 2024. The ESPN article says that 55 of 69 Power 5 teams sold alcohol in public areas last season. So where is WSU and wunderchild Anne McCoy with this languishing move? And do the mutts sell alcohol?

CC's 3 day Spring meeting wrapped up, and topics (link below) included a robust discussion of expansion out West, including the West Coast Pod concept. Oops typo. Nothing of either topic was reported to have had any discussion whatsoever.

WSU's leadership has been pretty inept on the alcohol sales front. I honestly don't understand it.
From more on the inside...

Liability is everything and #1 concern.

1) You have students who are idiots and the higher-ups don't want to encourage them to drink more... act dumber. I laugh at this because we all know they are going to drink anyway and money goes to local businesses instead of WSU.

2) The number of people driving home after the game with some super late hours would also add to drunk drivers on the road. Again... stupid to me because you shouldn't blame the seller... blame the dumb ass buyer. Rule of thumb... don't be a dumb ass.

The 2nd level of concern is regarding image. WSU already is a "party school". Instead of accepting and showing that partying and education can go hand in hand... WSU strives to quiet/change the image. Alcohol sales at the games by the school to where everyone gets at it gives a bad image.

I don't care if we go Bud Light image for the next 10 years.

Get the damn money! (It's purchased/sold everywhere else anyway)

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
From more on the inside...

Liability is everything and #1 concern.

1) You have students who are idiots and the higher-ups don't want to encourage them to drink more... act dumber. I laugh at this because we all know they are going to drink anyway and money goes to local businesses instead of WSU.

2) The number of people driving home after the game with some super late hours would also add to drunk drivers on the road. Again... stupid to me because you shouldn't blame the seller... blame the dumb ass buyer. Rule of thumb... don't be a dumb ass.

The 2nd level of concern is regarding image. WSU already is a "party school". Instead of accepting and showing that partying and education can go hand in hand... WSU strives to quiet/change the image. Alcohol sales at the games by the school to where everyone gets at it gives a bad image.

I don't care if we go Bud Light image for the next 10 years.

Get the damn money! (It's purchased/sold everywhere else anyway)
Actually, WSU was really close to having this done, allowing beer & wine on the south side. I think it was just ahead of 2018. But, WSLCB shot it down at the 11th hour. My understanding is that they said there wasn’t sufficient control in place to prevent underage drinking…even though the control level would have exactly matched what happens at other sport venues.
WSU has swung more conservative & risk-averse since then, so maybe wouldn’t have continued beer sales anyway, but they came close.

I still think they’d make a small fortune selling ice cream in the stadium. They really don’t even need to ask permission for that, and at this point a couple of grabbers would probably make me just as happy as a couple beers would. Although, they’d probably jack the price of the grabbers to $8-10 each…which would reduce my enjoyment of them.

I was told they’ve asked for RFPs from vendors that would require the vendor to make major infrastructure investments into the stadium (presumably required by liquor control?) that would be in the $1M range and no one is overly intersted in doing that for 6 games per year.

I was told they’ve asked for RFPs from vendors that would require the vendor to make major infrastructure investments into the stadium (presumably required by liquor control?) that would be in the $1M range and no one is overly intersted in doing that for 6 games per year.
Technology must have really regressed in the last 35 or 40 years.

Fraternities could drain 25 kegs at a happy hour with a couple sets of gravity taps and hordes of sorority girls.

Reactions: ATACFD
Went to the game at Colorado State last year. Beer sales everywhere. Huge variety and they were making a killing. Selling out of a self serve kiosks even. I really don’t understand why WSU can’t do anything when the security is super loose at other schools.

Oh give me a break, sheesh. I'm not a alcohol drinker, etc, and don't encourage it, etc, but since drinking is going to be done anyway, and since there is money to be made off of drinking, then that money might as well goto WSU, instead of local businesses.

And it shouldn't be that hard to have the alcohol, beer, etc, vendor, etc, look at ID's, see if the person on ID card matches the person standing in front of them trying to buy alcohol, and if the card is either expired, or doesn't match the person in front of them, or if the card doesn't show that the person is 18 to 21 or whatever the minimum drinking age is, or if the person doesn't have, show ID card, etc, then turn them away, don't sell alcohol, beer to them, that person, etc.

And Liqour control shouldn't require more then that, and doing that either doesn't or shouldn't cost 1 mil.

Oh give me a break, sheesh. I'm not a alcohol drinker, etc, and don't encourage it, etc, but since drinking is going to be done anyway, and since there is money to be made off of drinking, then that money might as well goto WSU, instead of local businesses.

And it shouldn't be that hard to have the alcohol, beer, etc, vendor, etc, look at ID's, see if the person on ID card matches the person standing in front of them trying to buy alcohol, and if the card is either expired, or doesn't match the person in front of them, or if the card doesn't show that the person is 18 to 21 or whatever the minimum drinking age is, or if the person doesn't have, show ID card, etc, then turn them away, don't sell alcohol, beer to them, that person, etc.

And Liqour control shouldn't require more then that, and doing that either doesn't or shouldn't cost 1 mil.

And it shouldn't be too hard for a Vendor to say "Sorry I'm going to have to cut you off, not sell you any more beer, alcohol, etc, as you are SMASHED, Drunk, etc, and might either have your behavior affected, start behaving badly, might get alcohol poisoning, etc."

And if a drunk doesn't take no more alcohol for a answer, have security nearby the Vendor.

Just imagine selling the Cougar beer with girls in hooter tops bring you, the beer to your seat. We would make a killing for the collective group.

Reactions: Cougini5591
At say $15 a beer, students won't be drinking much. At Husky stadium, it hasn't seem to be an issue. They have the same set up with tailgating pre and post-game.

At say $15 a beer, students won't be drinking much. At Husky stadium, it hasn't seem to be an issue. They have the same set up with tailgating pre and post-game.
Yes, but when it comes to beer drinking, husky students are amateurs. We're talking about Pullman and WSU - this is the big leagues.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Technology must have really regressed in the last 35 or 40 years.

Fraternities could drain 25 kegs at a happy hour with a couple sets of gravity taps and hordes of sorority girls.

The infrastructure improvements would - I assume - mean making physical modifications to the stadium that would create a beer garden with a field view.

Went to the game at Colorado State last year. Beer sales everywhere. Huge variety and they were making a killing. Selling out of a self serve kiosks even. I really don’t understand why WSU can’t do anything when the security is super loose at other schools.
WSU is going to be increasing security overall, even without alcohol in the stadium.

Here's my suggestion to handle both issues:

Word has long been that when they made the upgrades to the east endzone and added concessions & bathrooms, those were built with the intention of supporting additional construction above them. So...do it. Only, don't make it seating. Build a patio beer garden that spans entire width north to south. Access from north or south, only from inside the stadium, with control points for ID checks to satisfy WSLCB. They could even build it with a terrace or two to maintain view of the field. Guarantee it would be packed for every home game.

And, they could rent the patio out for events on non-game weekends.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
The infrastructure improvements would - I assume - mean making physical modifications to the stadium that would create a beer garden with a field view.

WSU is going to be increasing security overall, even without alcohol in the stadium.

Here's my suggestion to handle both issues:

Word has long been that when they made the upgrades to the east endzone and added concessions & bathrooms, those were built with the intention of supporting additional construction above them. So...do it. Only, don't make it seating. Build a patio beer garden that spans entire width north to south. Access from north or south, only from inside the stadium, with control points for ID checks to satisfy WSLCB. They could even build it with a terrace or two to maintain view of the field. Guarantee it would be packed for every home game.

And, they could rent the patio out for events on non-game weekends.
95, Who the hell gave you permission to have good ideas? That is my purview. :)

And to another post - so the mutts DO sell alcohol in the stadium? For consumption in the actual seats or in a segregated area?

Back to 95's idea - remember when, not long before the FOB was built, the playfield drinking area stretched over to right above the endzone bleachers, in effect a beer garden with a view of the game? I remember drinking there one game. Might have been just for one season...

95, Who the hell gave you permission to have good ideas? That is my purview. :)

And to another post - so the mutts DO sell alcohol in the stadium? For consumption in the actual seats or in a segregated area?

Back to 95's idea - remember when, not long before the FOB was built, the playfield drinking area stretched over to right above the endzone bleachers, in effect a beer garden with a view of the game? I remember drinking there one game. Might have been just for one season...
All of my ideas are good. I’m just not appreciated in my lifetime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT