ADVERTISEMENT

Most overrated FB player

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
So, having a little discussion on the BB board about Bledsoe being a mediocre, Chad Davis level QB. It was suggested that we start an overrated player thread. Suppose we could do underrated as well.

FYI, women's BB on at 7 against highly ranked Colorado at Beasley. Pac-12 Mountain channel.

• Haha
Reactions: SaveFerris
So, having a little discussion on the BB board about Bledsoe being a mediocre, Chad Davis level QB. It was suggested that we start an overrated player thread. Suppose we could do underrated as well.

FYI, women's BB on at 7 against highly ranked Colorado at Beasley. Pac-12 Mountain channel.
Honestly never thought Bledsoe was that good. Got happy feet under pressure, had lead feet, and threw into coverage a lot. Was fortunate at both WSU and in New England that he had very good receivers.

But I’d never say he was in Chad Davis’ league.

Other candidates for overrated:
the obvious one - Cam Ward
Al Genatone
John Fullington

For consideration: Gardner Minshew. He put up good numbers and won games…but only for one year. He was also a hell of a lot of fun. Have we put him too high on a pedestal? (Personally, I say no. But…discuss)

I thought you might be the one to start this thread.

Reactions: Cougzz
I thought you might be the one to start this thread.
Who me? You were the one who suggested it.

For the record, I don't think Bledsoe was overrated. Pac-10 Offensive player of the year.

Torey Hunter maybe? Wasn't he the guy that was always getting burned and would say "that will never happen again.

Interesting take on Minshew. I'm neutral on this, but there is no doubt in my mind that he elevated the whole team with his leadership and overall presence. How about Bob Garman?

Honestly never thought Bledsoe was that good. Got happy feet under pressure, had lead feet, and threw into coverage a lot. Was fortunate at both WSU and in New England that he had very good receivers.

Al Genatone
John Fullington

For consideration: Gardner Minshew. He put up good numbers and won games…but only for one year. He was also a hell of a lot of fun. Have we put him too high on a pedestal? (Personally, I say no. But…discuss)
I think I'm in the minority on this, but I didn't think Bledsoe had "happy feet". I thought he held onto the ball too long and relied on his arm to "throw receivers open". That resulted in unnecessary hits, but he didn't stay down long.

Maybe Bledsoe is on the list. Probably some of that is due to huge expectations for one of the highest rated recruits in program history. "Stuart House"-itis.

Anyone who think Bledsoe was overrated/mediocre has taken dumb-shit to a whole new level.
Well my fellow Coug, take it up with Cougsocal. He is quite outspoken on how shitty Bledsoe was.

CougEd is a little wobbly too.

Hey, that pass to Bobo in the 1992 Snow Bowl was arguably the greatest play in WSU history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug1990
Anyone who think Bledsoe was overrated/mediocre has taken dumb-shit to a whole new level.
Preach!

Bledsoe was a product of his era and his stats aren't amazing because of that. Of course, I saw some morons on Facebook suggesting that Troy Aikman was a mediocre QB because of his stats. Bledsoe took his team to a Super Bowl and was a four time Pro Bowler. So yeah, anyone who talks sh!t on Bledsoe needs to turn in their football card.

From my era, the most over-rated player in my book was Butch Williams. Every year, he was selected all conference but from where I sat, he was just a decent player in an offense that liked to use the tight end. The dude had 1 one career reception in the NFL. One. Uno. Eins. Wahid. F'ing one.

Al Genatone
John Fullington

I agree that some people put Minshew on too high of a pedestal. He is/was an amazing guy who brought much needed positive energy to our program. He's doing well in the NFL and he's a great ambassador for WSU. In almost every way, he's one of the greatest Cougs ever.....even if it was only for a year. We were lucky to get him.

The only issue that I have with Minshew is that some people want to insist that he was our greatest QB ever and that the 2018 season was our greatest season. It ended with 11 wins and that is the biggest number ever, but frankly, only a moron thinks that 2018 team (and season) was anywhere near as amazing as our 1997 and 2002 seasons and teams. And anyone who thinks that Minshew was a better college QB than Leaf is a moron. So, the only thing that I have against Minshew is that fools suffering from recency bias trying elevate the guy too high.

Minshew is awesome and I want him to have success because he deserves it. The reason why he deserves because if you put him in a room and start trying to have a discussion of whether or not he was the greatest WSU QB all time....he's shut that shit down in a heartbeat and say that he just appreciated the opportunity to be at WSU and to even be in the discussion is an honor but it's a discussion that's not worth having. His humility and grace combined with his fierce competitiveness are what made him a great Coug.

Preach!

Bledsoe was a product of his era and his stats aren't amazing because of that. Of course, I saw some morons on Facebook suggesting that Troy Aikman was a mediocre QB because of his stats. Bledsoe took his team to a Super Bowl and was a four time Pro Bowler. So yeah, anyone who talks sh!t on Bledsoe needs to turn in their football card.

From my era, the most over-rated player in my book was Butch Williams. Every year, he was selected all conference but from where I sat, he was just a decent player in an offense that liked to use the tight end. The dude had 1 one career reception in the NFL. One. Uno. Eins. Wahid. F'ing one.
He came out of high school throwing for 300 yds a game before that was even a thing. Guess he had D1 WR at Walla Walla propping him up there too, right?

This is the dumbest thread ever.

None of that was directed at you, not sure why I hit reply to your post, but I'm too lazy to retype it now, so it stays. Sorry Flat

I think there’s only one answer and it’s Josh Swogger. Honorable mention candidates:

Marquis Wilson
Deon Burnett

Most underrated by a country mile:
Biggs: easily had 8 time all pro potential if they only knew how to utilize his talent

I think there’s only one answer and it’s Josh Swogger. Honorable mention candidates:

Marquis Wilson
Deon Burnett

Biggs: easily had 8 time all pro potential if they only knew how to utilize his talent

Three pretty strong candidates. Wilson should have been an all-timer but he was just a lazy entitled kid who didn't understand that you have to work hard to be great.

Swogger's biggest problem was playing at the same time as Brink. Brink was the better overall QB but had a noodle arm that was exploited a lot in his first two seasons. Swogger was the gun slinger with the big arm but lacked the "IT" factor that QB's need. Because of Brink's obvious flaws, people hyped up Swogger because they just hated to see ol' noodle arm after seeing a bunch of pick sixes in Brink's first couple years. The thing that I respect about Swogger is that he was always a good teammate even when things didn't go his way. Even when he got benched at Montana...he didn't make a scene.

Reactions: froropmkr72

Marquis Wilson
Deon Burnett

Swogger is a different category. He’s more of a “overrated recruit,” because he never even became a consistent starter. There was lots of hype around him, but as notes he just didn’t have “it.”

Wilson and Burnett are a little different too. There’s no denying they were both good players…when they felt like it. They were capable of big numbers that justified their hype, but they just weren’t mentally there.

He came out of high school throwing for 300 yds a game before that was even a thing. Guess he had D1 WR at Walla Walla propping him up there too, right?

This is the dumbest thread ever.

None of that was directed at you, not sure why I hit reply to your post, but I'm too lazy to retype it now, so it stays. Sorry Flat
Bledsoe wasn’t even the best QB in his conference in high school. The guy at Richland was. He went to Michigan to play linebacker and I don’t think ever cracked the starting lineup. As I recall, that kid was today’s prototype - he was a runner who could throw. Bledsoe was the 80s/90s prototype pocket passer with a cannon for an arm.

I stand by my opinion. Sure, Bledsoe was the #1 pick. He was a physical ideal at the time. But he didn’t read defenses well, he couldn’t escape pressure, and he turned it over a lot. He really only had one good season at WSU, and if you look at that season, we/he were not dominant. His numbers - big at the time - really only included a couple of good games - including the last 2 that everyone remembers. It also includes some stinkers that have been largely forgotten. Philip Bobo was right about that team - they underachieved.

And, one of my big measures for any star player is whether they make their team better. I think Bledsoe’s team made him better. Leaf, Gesser, and Minshew all made their teams better.

Bledsoe - at present - still fits on the Mt. Rushmore of WSU QBs. But he’s the Teddy Roosevelt - easiest to replace with someone else. And of the 4-5 guys who I’d put on that monument, if we’re down 5 with 2 minutes left, he’s my last choice to put on the field.

Reactions: Cougsocal
Have you ever bothered to actually look at Bledsoe's passing stats compared to his fellow "Jack Elway" based spread offense QBs at WSU, on bowl teams (apples vs apples)? Of course not! Put the rose color glasses down and explain how his numbers demonstrate great QB play. They weren't in the same zip code as the big 3, and were only marginally better than generally considered one of the worst QBs in WSU history.

What am I missing here? His play, stats wise, was downright mediocre.

Rosie 1988 23 TDs, 10 Ints, 66%completion, yards per attempt 9.2, 2791 yards, Pass efficiency rating 162.0

Leaf 1997 33 TDs 10 Ints 56% completion, yards per attempt 9.7, 3637 yards, Pass efficiency rating 161.2

Gesser 2002 28 TDs 13 Ints, 59% completion, yards per attempt 8.4, 3437 yards, Pass efficiency rating 146.4

Gesser 2001 25 TDs 10 Ints, 55% completion, yards per attempt 8.2, 2729 yards, Pass efficiency rating 142.0

Bledsoe 1992 18 TDs 14 Ints, 55% completion, yards per attempt 7.2, 2770 yards, Pass efficiency rating 123.1

Davis 1994 10 TDs 6 Ints, 56% completion, yards per attempt 6.6, 2013 yards, Pass efficiency rating 118.5

By the way "Flatland," Aikmans stats in 1987 and 1988 were Leaf and Gesser like, respectively, not Bledsoe like.

Last edited:
Reactions: wazzudrew
Have you ever bothered to actually look at Bledsoe's passing stats compared to his fellow "Jack Elway" based spread offense QBs at WSU, on bowl teams (apples vs apples)? Of course not! Put the rose color glasses down and explain how his numbers demonstrate great QB play. They weren't in the same zip code as the big 3, and were only marginally better than generally considered one of the worst QBs in WSU history.

What am I missing here? His play, stats wise, was downright mediocre.

Rosie 1988 23 TDs, 10 Ints, 66%completion, yards per attempt 9.2, 2791 yards, Pass efficiency rating 162.0

Leaf 1997 33 TDs 10 Ints 56% completion, yards per attempt 9.7, 3637 yards, Pass efficiency rating 161.2

Gesser 2002 28 TDs 13 Ints, 59% completion, yards per attempt 8.4, 3437 yards, Pass efficiency rating 146.4

Gesser 2001 25 TDs 10 Ints, 55% completion, yards per attempt 8.2, 2729 yards, Pass efficiency rating 142.0

Bledsoe 1992 18 TDs 14 Ints, 55% completion, yards per attempt 7.2, 2770 yards, Pass efficiency rating 123.1

Davis 1994 10 TDs 6 Ints, 56% completion, yards per attempt 6.6, 2013 yards, Pass efficiency rating 118.5

By the way "Flatland," Aikmans stats in 1987 and 1988 were Leaf and Gesser like, respectively, not Bledsoe like.
i think a little bit of both can be true. You can’t compare Bledsoe stats to leaf or Gesser stats. Game evolved. The Davis comparison is fair. Bledsoes stats and performances weren’t as overwhelming as his potential. Overrated is an interesting label to put on a guy who was a number one pick and had a long successful nfl career.

The most overrated Coug was Cody O'Connell -- 2 time 1st team all american, but the Pac-12 coaches clearly didn't think he was, neither did the pros.

Swogger is a different category. He’s more of a “overrated recruit,” because he never even became a consistent starter. There was lots of hype around him, but as notes he just didn’t have “it.”

Wilson and Burnett are a little different too. There’s no denying they were both good players…when they felt like it. They were capable of big numbers that justified their hype, but they just weren’t mentally there.
Another overrated recruit type was the kid out of Puget Sound area that was promoting how he and his two buddies were going to come in and tear it up. Called themselves the "Three Scorpions" or something like that. Think he was a DB, but not sure on that. Turns out the other two ended up committing elsewhere and he he never amounted to much. He actually came to one of the Recruiting dinners we put on (PCCC), I think it was at Emerald Downs. I wish I could remember his name or the nickname of the group, but Oldtimer's Disease is hitting me up today. Maybe Ed remembers, he used to make those functions.

i think a little bit of both can be true. You can’t compare Bledsoe stats to leaf or Gesser stats. Game evolved. The Davis comparison is fair. Bledsoes stats and performances weren’t as overwhelming as his potential. Overrated is an interesting label to put on a guy who was a number one pick and had a long successful nfl career.
Because he stopped playing like an average joe, the first 10 games of the year, and started to live up to all that potential, lighting it up big time against the UW and Utah to end the year. Fortunately for him, those two games are the only ones people remember. That is why people think you are crazy when you point out that he didn't play well, as two games do not a great career make. Against Utah his PER was 175.8. 143 against the UW, in utterly appalling conditions.

Another overrated recruit type was the kid out of Puget Sound area that was promoting how he and his two buddies were going to come in and tear it up. Called themselves the "Three Scorpions" or something like that. Think he was a DB, but not sure on that. Turns out the other two ended up committing elsewhere and he he never amounted to much. He actually came to one of the Recruiting dinners we put on (PCCC), I think it was at Emerald Downs. I wish I could remember his name or the nickname of the group, but Oldtimer's Disease is hitting me up today. Maybe Ed remembers, he used to make those functions.
Shelton Danzy.. he wasn’t overrated . He was position-less and the one position coaches thought he might be able to play was SS. He and family had a much higher opinion than those who watch and make money off recruiting .

Shelton Danzy?

Edit: Damn you beat me by seconds. I remember he had his own website and everything.

Last edited:
Shelton Danzy.. he wasn’t overrated . He was position-less and the one position coaches thought he might be able to play was SS. He and family had a much higher opinion than those who watch and make money off recruiting .
Bingo! Thanks Ed, and Loyal also. I have always been rather good at forgetting names, and I seem to be improving as time goes on. LOL

Just thought of another nominee, although not sure how highly he was rated coming in, and that is QBBigBack's Boy. Never cut it here at Wazzu, think he ended up transferring to Tulsa, where I think he was beaten out there also.

Bingo! Thanks Ed, and Loyal also. I have always been rather good at forgetting names, and I seem to be improving as time goes on. LOL

Just thought of another nominee, although not sure how highly he was rated coming in, and that is QBBigBack's Boy. Never cut it here at Wazzu, think he ended up transferring to Tulsa, where I think he was beaten out there also.
Oh Gawd what was his name - tip of my tongue. Ed will have to apply his photographic memory

Edit - HAH! Arkelon Hall. Beat ya ed.

Edit #2 - at least he played some at Memphis, after apparently a stop at a JC. 8th ranked QB in his class out of HS?

Last edited:

Arkelon Hall. He went to Memphis and spent a couple seasons in & out of their starting lineup. Think he made it to the arena league for a while. Couldn’t find the field consistently, probably because all of the coaches were racist. Nothing to do with his weed habit, bad grades, & poor work ethic.

Arkelon Hall...

That whole time period was what stopped WSU from being a non stop Top 25.

I know Leach brought us back, but it was just different back then.

Not sure who to get pissed at the most... Price for bailing? Officials in the 2002 Apple Cup? Coaching Staff of 2003-2005?

Maybe college football was always set to be screwed by the money/media. Not sure it was different with things like Title IX killing WSU boxing-wrestling-mens gymnastics.

I'm having an unhappy face right now

Bledsoe wasn’t even the best QB in his conference in high school. The guy at Richland was. He went to Michigan to play linebacker and I don’t think ever cracked the starting lineup. As I recall, that kid was today’s prototype - he was a runner who could throw. Bledsoe was the 80s/90s prototype pocket passer with a cannon for an arm.

I stand by my opinion. Sure, Bledsoe was the #1 pick. He was a physical ideal at the time. But he didn’t read defenses well, he couldn’t escape pressure, and he turned it over a lot. He really only had one good season at WSU, and if you look at that season, we/he were not dominant. His numbers - big at the time - really only included a couple of good games - including the last 2 that everyone remembers. It also includes some stinkers that have been largely forgotten. Philip Bobo was right about that team - they underachieved.

And, one of my big measures for any star player is whether they make their team better. I think Bledsoe’s team made him better. Leaf, Gesser, and Minshew all made their teams better.

Bledsoe - at present - still fits on the Mt. Rushmore of WSU QBs. But he’s the Teddy Roosevelt - easiest to replace with someone else. And of the 4-5 guys who I’d put on that monument, if we’re down 5 with 2 minutes left, he’s my last choice to put on the field.
The bottom line is Drew could make all the throw, and that is what everyone remembers -- talent galore. They forget that he seldom actually made those throws during games (until the last two). Like Rypien before him, he was supposed to take us to the promised land, the Rose Bowl, but didn't. However, he played at a time when many Cougs were convinced that the Rose Bowl wasn't attainable. Had Drew played after Leaf, people wouldn't be defending him and his mediocre play. Gesser is proof. Maligned constantly (because he didn't play at Leaf's level) he was still a much better college QB than Bledsoe was.

Some would say that the 2002 team was so talented. While that is true, people forget with Matt Kegel at the helm, they weren't very good. They were not, by any means, an anyone could QB them to 10 wins team. People also forget that the 1992 team may have been the most talented team, top to bottom, that Mike Price ever produced. But like 2003, what probably kept them from the Rose Bowl was not having a QB with a pass efficiency rating in the 140s, or greater, where it needed to be.

It's important to remember that the 1992 schedule was pretty tough. Only two teams with losing records on the schedule and a Top 25 schedule according to Massey's ratings. Bledsoe would not be as good of a QB in some of the systems today....but it wouldn't surprise me to see him kill it in the Air Raid. FWIW, here is a list showing the strength of schedule that our bowl eligible teams have faced since 1988 based on Massey's methodology:

1988: #11
1989: #10
1992: #24
1994: #7
1997: #8
2001: #57
2002: #22
2003: #22
2006: #11
2013: #6
2015: #30
2016: #35
2017: #45
2018: #37
2019: #40
2021: #51
2022: #48
2023: #45

What this list shows is that for all the fact that Leach did a lot of good things for us...he benefited from facing easy schedules compared to most of our better teams in the Price era. What that list shows us is that the 2001 Sun Bowl team was lucky to face a bunch of scrubs. It's pretty amazing that we made bowl game in 2013 and Leach deserves a ton of credit for that one happening.

Of note, the 1993 team that flopped after Pattinson went down faced the #6 schedule that year. That team deserved better than the fate it received.

The bottom line is Drew could make all the throw, and that is what everyone remembers -- talent galore. They forget that he seldom actually made those throws during games (until the last two). Like Rypien before him, he was supposed to take us to the promised land, the Rose Bowl, but didn't. However, he played at a time when many Cougs were convinced that the Rose Bowl wasn't attainable. Had Drew played after Leaf, people wouldn't be defending him and his mediocre play. Gesser is proof. Maligned constantly (because he didn't play at Leaf's level) he was still a much better college QB than Bledsoe was.

Some would say that the 2002 team was so talented. While that is true, people forget with Matt Kegel at the helm, they weren't very good. They were not, by any means, an anyone could QB them to 10 wins team. People also forget that the 1992 team may have been the most talented team, top to bottom, that Mike Price ever produced. But like 2003, what probably kept them from the Rose Bowl was not having a QB with a pass efficiency rating in the 140s, or greater, where it needed to be.
Ok now you are talking stupid talk, dishing on Matt Kegel. He was hurt all year, barely played in the 3 games before the Holiday Bowl due to his injuries. Forget who boffed the ND game away but it wasn't Kegel. We all know the 2002 Apple Cup ended on a travesty of a call. As a Freshman he beat USC at USC for the first time in a gazillion years.

Get off your stat sheets. They only tell part of the story. Grit, leadership, playing through pain and injury. The don't show up on a piece of paper.

It's important to remember that the 1992 schedule was pretty tough. Only two teams with losing records on the schedule and a Top 25 schedule according to Massey's ratings. Bledsoe would not be as good of a QB in some of the systems today....but it wouldn't surprise me to see him kill it in the Air Raid. FWIW, here is a list showing the strength of schedule that our bowl eligible teams have faced since 1988 based on Massey's methodology:

What this list shows is that for all the fact that Leach did a lot of good things for us...he benefited from facing easy schedules compared to most of our better teams in the Price era. What that list shows us is that the 2001 Sun Bowl team was lucky to face a bunch of scrubs. It's pretty amazing that we made bowl game in 2013 and Leach deserves a ton of credit for that one happening.

Of note, the 1993 team that flopped after Pattinson went down faced the #6 schedule that year. That team deserved better than the fate it received.
Shouldn't the 1993 team be on your list? As I recall they went 6-5.

Arkelon Hall...

That whole time period was what stopped WSU from being a non stop Top 25.

I know Leach brought us back, but it was just different back then.

Not sure who to get pissed at the most... Price for bailing? Officials in the 2002 Apple Cup? Coaching Staff of 2003-2005?

Maybe college football was always set to be screwed by the money/media. Not sure it was different with things like Title IX killing WSU boxing-wrestling-mens gymnastics.

I'm having an unhappy face right now
My memory doesn't go back that far. I only remember Dubi Lufi (gymnastics) because he had a funny name.

2003 was a great FB year. After that, as we know, Doba's wife got sick and his Cougar-laden staff of assistants really dropped the ball on him.

My memory doesn't go back that far. I only remember Dubi Lufi (gymnastics) because he had a funny name.

2003 was a great FB year. After that, as we know, Doba's wife got sick and his Cougar-laden staff of assistants really dropped the ball on him.
Hey! He was a frat bro. and a great guy.

He competed in the World Games 6 times. Olympics 1976, 1980. Glad he wasn’t there in ‘72.

WSU Hall of Fame 1989. Greatest gymnast ever at WSU.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the 1993 team be on your list? As I recall they went 6-5.

1993 team went 5-6. We were 5-2 after we thumped Cal 34-7 but we lost Pattinson because of a broken collarbone in that game. Went 0-4 on the way out with losses to Arizona, Oregon, UCLA and UW. If Pattinson stayed healthy, we may have won the conference. We almost beat Arizona without him and the team was playing with confidence. We'll never know of course.

Reactions: Cougini5591

Dubi Lufi was a real stud! I remember him, went to a few meets back then. Another gymnast I recall was Jim Holt. Very memorable guy because he only had one leg! That's right, only one leg. That guy sure had one heck of a strong upper body, that's for sure. He was a friend of one of my roommates, think he was in the honors program with Jim. I remember having beers with him at the Down Under bar. For you youngsters on the board, it was "down under the main campus entrance/Thunderbird Motel/Sellas, basically a converted warehouse. Had good Happy Hours there, and a kick ass jukebox with a bunch of great oldies like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Beach Boys, and so on, great stuff. Anyway, Jim Holt could tell you the name of every song, the artist, the record label, and the year it was released. He was amazing.

1993 team went 5-6. We were 5-2 after we thumped Cal 34-7 but we lost Pattinson because of a broken collarbone in that game. Went 0-4 on the way out with losses to Arizona, Oregon, UCLA and UW. If Pattinson stayed healthy, we may have won the conference. We almost beat Arizona without him and the team was playing with confidence. We'll never know of course.
Oops my bad.

Ok now you are talking stupid talk, dishing on Matt Kegel. He was hurt all year, barely played in the 3 games before the Holiday Bowl due to his injuries. Forget who boffed the ND game away but it wasn't Kegel. We all know the 2002 Apple Cup ended on a travesty of a call. As a Freshman he beat USC at USC for the first time in a gazillion years.

Get off your stat sheets. They only tell part of the story. Grit, leadership, playing through pain and injury. The don't show up on a piece of paper.

Injured or not, it is damn near impossible to win a championship when your QB's PER is in the 120's. What was Bledsoe's excuse for actually playing a little worse than a banged up Kegel? That said, Gesser played his entire career injured, beat UCLA on the road on one leg, hardly able to walk let alone run, that's just what "greats" are expected to do.

The way Matt Kegel came back in 2003 was super impressive, it showed real grit. I could never have bounced back like that. But if he can freely admit that he was out of his depth in the Apple Cup, and that he learned from it, and used it as fuel, why can't you? You are ignoring the fact Matt could have salted the game away numerous times in regulation with one solid play, it need not have been great. All we needed was a first down, or to punch it in from the goal line or just not throw a pic in our territory with 2:44 left, handing the UW a game tying FG. Just take a sack or throw the ball into the ground, let Basler punt the shit out of it and let the Posse loose, forcing the Dawgs to make plays would likely have been enough.

Dubi Lufi was a real stud! I remember him, went to a few meets back then. Another gymnast I recall was Jim Holt. Very memorable guy because he only had one leg! That's right, only one leg. That guy sure had one heck of a strong upper body, that's for sure. He was a friend of one of my roommates, think he was in the honors program with Jim. I remember having beers with him at the Down Under bar. For you youngsters on the board, it was "down under the main campus entrance/Thunderbird Motel/Sellas, basically a converted warehouse. Had good Happy Hours there, and a kick ass jukebox with a bunch of great oldies like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Beach Boys, and so on, great stuff. Anyway, Jim Holt could tell you the name of every song, the artist, the record label, and the year it was released. He was amazing.
Ahhh - Dime Beers at the Down Under. I think it was Tuesday nights. Might have been after your time. Live music too. Oh and the frequent walk throughs by the cops.

For you young punks - Dime beers - they were like 3 or 4 oz Dixie cup like things, they sold by the tray of 10. We'd usually buy 3 or 4 trays at a time. Then there was Happy hour at that upstairs lounge at the hptel up top by the viaduct. If I recall, 10-11PM, 2 wells for $1.25?

Injured or not, it is damn near impossible to win a championship when your QB's PER is in the 120's. What was Bledsoe's excuse for actually playing a little worse than a banged up Kegel? That said, Gesser played his entire career injured, beat UCLA on the road on one leg, hardly able to walk let alone run, that's just what "greats" are expected to do.

The way Matt Kegel came back in 2003 was super impressive, it showed real grit. I could never have bounced back like that. But if he can freely admit that he was out of his depth in the Apple Cup, and that he learned from it, and used it as fuel, why can't you? You are ignoring the fact Matt could have salted the game away numerous times in regulation with one solid play, it need not have been great. All we needed was a first down, or to punch it in from the goal line or just not throw a pic in our territory with 2:44 left, handing the UW a game tying FG. Just take a sack or throw the ball into the ground, let Basler punt the shit out of it and let the Posse loose, forcing the Dawgs to make plays would likely have been enough.
Geezus - the Palouse Posse was 1994, not '02 or '03 - whichever Apple Cup you are trying to recreate.

So what you are saying is Rosie and Ryan not only kicked arse, they did it despite super tough schedules, and Chad Davis had it even tougher, while Bledsoe had it the easiest schedule of the three, but his PER still was 40 pts lower than Ryan and Rosie and Chad's PER was only 5 pts lower than Drew. Wow!

Geezus - the Palouse Posse was 1994, not '02 or '03 - whichever Apple Cup you are trying to recreate.
Oops! You are right regarding the Posse, 1992- 1994. Screwed that up royal. But Matt wet the bed from the get go, he wasn't simply the victim of one bad call to end the game, it just put him out of his misery. You can't sugar coat that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT