ADVERTISEMENT

MSU Article on Dickert

More conjecture. That said, it would really be disappointing for him to leave after we gave him this opportunity. As an aside, since he came to us after being the DC at Wyoming for 3 years, I wonder what he would think about my much-panned notion of a MT West merger. The PacWest conference may hold some appeal, and he's seen the whole conference.

Trying to think inventively, If we are going to stand pat maybe we should be negotiating some sort of "guest" scheduling with the Mtn West for 2024. It would be good for them, and we could toss them a few sheckles to help the effort. You know we are going to get Pac-12 money, just don't know how much. But we need games. I don't know how many Cougs went to the CSU game which even I tried to go to (anyone have a guesstimate?) but the way Cougs travel I doubt it would break any MW hearts to have us around for a year. That we could be negotiating NOW. Big-12 ends up wanting us? Fine, in 2025. And don't forget we have a few other sports that need someone to play. Like our #4 VB team and ranked Soccer team. And oh yeah, Basketball and Baseball. Rowing I'm not too worried about.

More conjecture. That said, it would really be disappointing for him to leave after we gave him this opportunity. As an aside, since he came to us after being the DC at Wyoming for 3 years, I wonder what he would think about my much-panned notion of a MT West merger. The PacWest conference may hold some appeal, and he's seen the whole conference.

Trying to think inventively, If we are going to stand pat maybe we should be negotiating some sort of "guest" scheduling with the Mtn West for 2024. It would be good for them, and we could toss them a few sheckles to help the effort. You know we are going to get Pac-12 money, just don't know how much. But we need games. I don't know how many Cougs went to the CSU game which even I tried to go to (anyone have a guesstimate?) but the way Cougs travel I doubt it would break any MW hearts to have us around for a year. That we could be negotiating NOW. Big-12 ends up wanting us? Fine, in 2025. And don't forget we have a few other sports that need someone to play. Like our #4 VB team and ranked Soccer team. And oh yeah, Basketball and Baseball. Rowing I'm not too worried about.
I have no expectation that the Big 12 is going to take us. If they were going to, they already would have.

We're going to win in court, because the contract language is pretty clear. Only question is exactly how much the assets are worth.

Whatever the cut is, we'll use it to help pave the way for an MWC merger - in whole or in part.

Dickert is gone if a P4 school comes calling unless WSU gets picked up by the Big 12.

There is no upside for him sticking around for potential down seasons while WSU transitions to the Pac/Mtn West. None. He’s a hot commodity now.

It’s like Denny cashing in and bailing after year 2.

Just learn to accept it. Big 12, he stays. Otherwise, gonzo.

Dickert is gone if a P4 school comes calling unless WSU gets picked up by the Big 12.

There is no upside for him sticking around for potential down seasons while WSU transitions to the Pac/Mtn West. None. He’s a hot commodity now.

It’s like Denny cashing in and bailing after year 2.

Just learn to accept it. Big 12, he stays. Otherwise, gonzo.

For the record, Dickert is cut from a different ethical cloth than Erickson. That said, money talks and if someone throws an appropriately large chunk of cash at Dickert, it would be hard to blame him.

This is a completely different set of circumstances than what any previous coach had to consider. We don’t have a conference or even a schedule next season. If Dickert stays and we lose 75% of our roster to the portal, he’ll be risking his future.

Reactions: HCoug
This is a completely different set of circumstances than what any previous coach had to consider. We don’t have a conference or even a schedule next season. If Dickert stays and we lose 75% of our roster to the portal, he’ll be risking his future.

That WE know of

Reactions: Coug90
Didn't we say the same things about Mike Leach. Pullman's a perfect fit, he owe's us, he ain't going anywhere. Isn't it best to be realistic? If Dickert doesn't perform we will kick him to the curb, that's a fact. And he is supposed to stay loyal, based on our conditional loyalty to him?

If he passes up a power 4 offer, it will be only because he puts his kids first, 3 of them, all school age, who for the first time in their lives haven't been living out of an assistant coach's suit case, have made friends and now consider Pullman home.

there’s also the long shot WSU ends up with a pile of cash and we throw a bunch of it at Dickert. Especially if it’s a one or 2 year stint in the PAC2 and we can build a decent schedule.

Basically all this article says is “Dickert didn’t say the exact words I will be In Pullman next year like Kleimann did”. It’s true, but neither did 9-10 other coaches rumored to be candidates. Can’t do anything but let it play out.

there’s also the long shot WSU ends up with a pile of cash and we throw a bunch of it at Dickert. Especially if it’s a one or 2 year stint in the PAC2 and we can build a decent schedule.
I don’t see it as a long shot. It’s a given, a near certainty one of two things will happen, and conceivably both. WSU invited to Big12, large sum of money split between Pac2.

If the worst case scenario unfolds and we end up merging with the mountain west with no money, people aren’t just going to forget what Dickert has done and cast him aside. He can still coach. These are circumstances beyond his control. He will still have suitors if he desires a new home and WSU can’t provide the financial security he’s looking for. He’s a smart guy and he knows all of this. Jumping at a dumpster fire like MSU because you think it’s your last chance to do so is a terrible move if you’re Dickert IMO.

I don’t see it as a long shot. It’s a given, a near certainty one of two things will happen, and conceivably both. WSU invited to Big12, large sum of money split between Pac2.

If the worst case scenario unfolds and we end up merging with the mountain west with no money, people aren’t just going to forget what Dickert has done and cast him aside. He can still coach. These are circumstances beyond his control. He will still have suitors if he desires a new home and WSU can’t provide the financial security he’s looking for. He’s a smart guy and he knows all of this. Jumping at a dumpster fire like MSU because you think it’s your last chance to do so is a terrible move if you’re Dickert IMO.
That would be the interesting part to hear him work through. Conceivably, if he can be what he’s been here year in and out, he could coach for another 20-30 years if he wanted here. I dunno what that looks like, but that many years*(3-6mil/year) is 60-180 million over a lifetime, in a lower pressure situation. Now you go somewhere like MSU, you get 3-5 years initially at 6-10 million? But you risk being shit on and run out of town while trying to beat tOSU, Penn St, Michigan, Oregon, UW, Iowa etc. 7-9 wins in that conference is a *good* year, but it may not be good enough for that fan base to have continually decent seasons. And you’re competing against the 4-5 of the best 20 teams out there annually.

His competitor gene he has knows which places offer a higher likelihood of NCAA championships. (Although it’s probably not much different when you start look ant relative %). And he works harder than most any coach out there. So he could bet on himself. But history says making that jump is a trajectory for failure for a greater percentage of coaches. These guys usually bet on themselves though.

I won’t fault him if he takes off but I would be interested to hear his process.

That would be the interesting part to hear him work through. Conceivably, if he can be what he’s been here year in and out, he could coach for another 20-30 years if he wanted here. I dunno what that looks like, but that many years*(3-6mil/year) is 60-180 million over a lifetime, in a lower pressure situation. Now you go somewhere like MSU, you get 3-5 years initially at 6-10 million? But you risk being shit on and run out of town while trying to beat tOSU, Penn St, Michigan, Oregon, UW, Iowa etc. 7-9 wins in that conference is a *good* year, but it may not be good enough for that fan base to have continually decent seasons. And you’re competing against the 4-5 of the best 20 teams out there annually.

His competitor gene he has knows which places offer a higher likelihood of NCAA championships. (Although it’s probably not much different when you start look ant relative %). And he works harder than most any coach out there. So he could bet on himself. But history says making that jump is a trajectory for failure for a greater percentage of coaches. These guys usually bet on themselves though.

I won’t fault him if he takes off but I would be interested to hear his process.
In the modern world of CFB, and even without the current fiasco, Michigan State’s likelihood of winning a title is only marginally higher than WSU’s. They’ll probably continue to stay in the “haves” category, but they’re at the lower end. They’ll always be second fiddle to Ohio state, Michigan, etc. They’ll have more media money, but it won’t let them close the gap with the “traditional powers.”

They may occasionally have a good season or two, maybe even land a playoff berth. But most likely, they’re going to remain as a decent team that makes mid-level bowl games most of the time.

In the modern world of CFB, and even without the current fiasco, Michigan State’s likelihood of winning a title is only marginally higher than WSU’s. They’ll probably continue to stay in the “haves” category, but they’re at the lower end. They’ll always be second fiddle to Ohio state, Michigan, etc. They’ll have more media money, but it won’t let them close the gap with the “traditional powers.”

They may occasionally have a good season or two, maybe even land a playoff berth. But most likely, they’re going to remain as a decent team that makes mid-level bowl games most of the time.
Exactly my thought. And does that mean you have tenure as a coach there or get passed off or run out? Big fish small pond, Or medium fish big pond thing. Just curious how he would view it.

MSU could double his salary giving him the same $ as WSU in half the time. Retire in the Caribbean before 50 years old. Steel drum bands, warm breezes, clear rum forever.

Depends what you are after too I guess. Obviously saw one of our own go down that path and got railroaded by Bama. Probably gonna work out ok for Bennett at Virginia.

But yeah when you have job security at 7 figures that’s nothing to sneeze at. There’s always a bigger carrot to chase but it doesn’t always work out.

Depends what you are after too I guess. Obviously saw one of our own go down that path and got railroaded by Bama. Probably gonna work out ok for Bennett at Virginia.

But yeah when you have job security at 7 figures that’s nothing to sneeze at. There’s always a bigger carrot to chase but it doesn’t always work out.

I think it all comes down to Frosty Westering's philosophy which is Make the Big Time Where You Are

There are countless coaches who had a good thing going...then decided to bolt for greener pastures only to be chewed up and spit out by the machine.

Dickert also has the opportunity to be an absolute legend at this school if he weathers the storm and see's it thru the other side. At MSU, he will probably just be another winning coach but I doubt he replicates what D'antonio did

Last edited:

The insane amounts of money thrown at coaches continues to blow me away. $10 million a year?

Anyway, for any rational human being, a few million a year for several to many years in Pullman, WA provides financial security. Shit if I could have made 2.7 million for one year I would have bought some acreage and retired.

MSU could double his salary giving him the same $ as WSU in half the time. Retire in the Caribbean before 50 years old. Steel drum bands, warm breezes, clear rum forever.
Yeah, or shit you out in three years because you’re failing to meet their standards against a stacked deck.

Yeah, or shit you out in three years because you’re failing to meet their standards against a stacked deck.

That’s fine. Take the $18,000,000 from your $6,000,000 per year salary. Take the buyout on the contract.

Wave your middle finger out the window as you drive away.

After $30,000,000+ in career earnings at WSU and MSU, who fcking cares?

That’s fine. Take the $18,000,000 from your $6,000,000 per year salary. Take the buyout on the contract.

Your great great great great great great grandkids?

Reactions: kougkurt

Well if that’s the case, why ever leave somewhere that won’t fire you and will pay 2-3 per year forever, and probably 4-6 soon.

Well if that’s the case, why ever leave somewhere that won’t fire you and will pay 2-3 per year forever, and probably 4-6 soon.

Same reason you win the powerball and take the lump sum over the payout over time.

Same reason you win the powerball and take the lump sum over the payout over time.
Last guy that tried that from MSU got terminated for cause for cranking one out over a phone call cause he sucked after 2 years.

It’s a short list of people that have the drive to get to that level that can turn off the competitive Juice and retire at 50.

Why would anyone want to retire if they love what they’re doing?

Especially just to throw it all away as a drunk on the beach at 50?

Why would anyone want to retire if they love what they’re doing?

Especially just to throw it all away as a drunk on the beach at 50?
This. My old man was in the navy for 30 years. They forced him out. Said he would have done it until the day he died. In retirement he opened a mechanic business (his second love) building engines for race cars and race boats, but doing generic repair on the side. Would have done that until the day he died if not for his 30yrs of smoking finally catching up to him. Died 3 years after selling the business. I’m convinced he died of boredom. I think doing nothing in retirement is a death sentence. I don’t plan on doing nothing when I retire, but going full speed into what I couldn’t afford to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT