ADVERTISEMENT

My realistic recruiting wish list...

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
Preferably HS kids, but the right transfer or 3 would be OK, too.

3 CB's
1 DT
2 LB's
1 WR

and a preferred walk on place kicker.

While I prefer HS kids for a variety of reasons, the positions noted above are probably the ones best suited to having a transfer able to play immediately, especially if they are here for spring ball. So I'm happy either way.

Now that everybody knows which kids signed early and which were frozen by not being able to predict who else their favorite team might sign, I expect a few kids to shake out right away. The rest will wait until the final signing day, though a lot of those will commit well before that. There are a lot of 3 stars in that group. There are already more kids heading toward the transfer portal, and many JC kids did not sign this week. Still up in the air.

Preferably HS kids, but the right transfer or 3 would be OK, too.

3 CB's
1 DT
2 LB's
1 WR

and a preferred walk on place kicker.

While I prefer HS kids for a variety of reasons, the positions noted above are probably the ones best suited to having a transfer able to play immediately, especially if they are here for spring ball. So I'm happy either way.

Now that everybody knows which kids signed early and which were frozen by not being able to predict who else their favorite team might sign, I expect a few kids to shake out right away. The rest will wait until the final signing day, though a lot of those will commit well before that. There are a lot of 3 stars in that group. There are already more kids heading toward the transfer portal, and many JC kids did not sign this week. Still up in the air.

They went heavy on JC kids last year. Took 15 HS kids. SC was on sanctions and could only sign 15, for perspective.

IMO, they need to sign 25 HS kids. Some of them will play and help balance out last years class.

For long term health of the roster, transfers prob arent the best solution.

Also, having seen how signing more OL has really helped... I think they need to do something similar with DBs. They prob need to sign 3 true corners and 3 safeties per class. Maybe one of the safeties grows into a linebacker. Right now, they need to put numbers into the DBs to make that position group compete and grow.

They went heavy on JC kids last year. Took 15 HS kids. SC was on sanctions and could only sign 15, for perspective.

IMO, they need to sign 25 HS kids. Some of them will play and help balance out last years class.

Also, having seen how signing more OL has really helped... I think they need to do something similar with DBs. They prob need to sign 3 true corners and 3 safeties per class. Maybe one of the safeties grows into a linebacker. Right now, they need to put numbers into the DBs to make that position group compete and grow.

I think they need 1 JC corner or transfer. They need immediate help in the back 4, but things could change now that they have bowl practices and spring ball to develop their talent. Last year they were planning on start Jalen Thompson until he went to the GNC in July and got himself banned for the season and they were left scrambling. Also, I think it'll depend on who the DC is and what they are looking. You're right that we need to really stay away from JC's. They went heavy last year and all were gone before Apple Cup except one. For the most part we've lucked out with the JC's we got. We are in the position because we missed a lot kids, the one's we signed didn't turnout to be anything and now we are trying to fill in the gaps. Wazzu isn't a school where you can miss on players. The last 7 need to be on the defensive side of the ball and maybe a receiver, but depth at receiver is pretty good. They need to build depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: royhobbs2
I read where staff said DB and DT were for remaining ships and also they want kids who are eligible to play next year, transfers included. They want immediate help at Db and DT

I read where staff said DB and DT were for remaining ships and also they want kids who are eligible to play next year, transfers included. They want immediate help at Db and DT
Yup they need it. Nathaniel James is going to be starting. I’d assume a JC or transfer at D tackle, corner, and MLB at least.

I think they need 1 JC corner or transfer. They need immediate help in the back 4, but things could change now that they have bowl practices and spring ball to develop their talent. Last year they were planning on start Jalen Thompson until he went to the GNC in July and got himself banned for the season and they were left scrambling. Also, I think it'll depend on who the DC is and what they are looking. You're right that we need to really stay away from JC's. They went heavy last year and all were gone before Apple Cup except one. For the most part we've lucked out with the JC's we got. We are in the position because we missed a lot kids, the one's we signed didn't turnout to be anything and now we are trying to fill in the gaps. Wazzu isn't a school where you can miss on players. The last 7 need to be on the defensive side of the ball and maybe a receiver, but depth at receiver is pretty good. They need to build depth on the defensive side of the ball.

They have too much attrition, too many missed evaluation, too much of kids not working out. They need to start stacking 11 defenders in every class consistently. You cant unbalance your roster but youve got to get kids into the backfield.

PWO offer for 290 lb bowling ball at Camas, WA. League lineman of the year (played center (smart), 1st team OLine and DTackle, state champ (winner). I’ll take kids like this all day, good depth at the least.

PWO offer for 290 lb bowling ball at Camas, WA. League lineman of the year (played center (smart), 1st team OLine and DTackle, state champ (winner). I’ll take kids like this all day, good depth at the least.

How tall?

How tall?

His twitter says 6'2 which means he is 5'12 with heel lifts.

9083421.png

His twitter says 6'2 which means he is 5'12 with heel lifts.
you sure hes not not 5-6 or 5-7 ? just kidding

he might turn into a good DT after a couple of years. Leach had a kid like that at Tech Colby Whitlock I think, bowling ball who big schools passed on, was real good as a senior

he might turn into a good DT after a couple of years. Leach had a kid like that at Tech Colby Whitlock I think, bowling ball who big schools passed on, was real good as a senior

A homegrown NG, with a boulder on his shoulder. Reminds me a bit of Taylor Comfort's situation. I hope he finds his way to Pullman.

Reactions: Coug90

He’s certainly the same shape McDougal and the kid from Indiana. As much as I like Mataafa, he was rare. Not going to find too many DT that can dominate at 245. Love a rotation of wrecking balls that can lean on an OLine a bit.

He’s certainly the same shape McDougal and the kid from Indiana. As much as I like Mataafa, he was rare. Not going to find too many DT that can dominate at 245. Love a rotation of wrecking balls that can lean on an OLine a bit.

It’s the scheme. They arent taking on blocks head up. Theyre using speed to run thru gaps. The prob this year was not enough speed to make a TFL and zero ability to disengage and make a TFL. So you get a DL that gets washed down the LOS and a RB that hits the second level.

The kid from Indiana is gonna be interesting to see develop. He runs well and is bullish strong.

It’s the scheme. They arent taking on blocks head up. Theyre using speed to run thru gaps. The prob this year was not enough speed to make a TFL and zero ability to disengage and make a TFL. So you get a DL that gets washed down the LOS and a RB that hits the second level.

The kid from Indiana is gonna be interesting to see develop. He runs well and is bullish strong.
I hope he’s been stretching

I get the scheme. And I agree there wasn’t anything close to that this year. If you can’t find that, get a couple of guys that are at least tough to put on roller skates.

Defense defense, defense defense. Get the best corners you can find. The ones that bulk up and relish contact can be moved to safety or, or play special teams. Get physical safeties and make them linebackers. We really only need one more defensive lineman in this class if there's no attrition, unless someone really great drops into our lap. The most important players on defense are corner, defensive tackle, and one guy that can rush the passer. Everyone else can be average and you'll survive, but if you're terrible in those three places you'll get chewed up.

I like the kid from Indiana but question if he can start as a frosh inside. He is six foot and 255-260. He’s going to need to put on some weight or he’s going to get swallowed up by 300 pound o lineman imo

I like the kid from Indiana but question if he can start as a frosh inside. He is six foot and 255-260. He’s going to need to put on some weight or he’s going to get swallowed up by 300 pound o lineman imo
Leverage

I get the scheme. And I agree there wasn’t anything close to that this year. If you can’t find that, get a couple of guys that are at least tough to put on roller skates.

That’s the issue. The kids youre talking about wont even step on campus to visit. There are no 4 star, 6’4” 320 DTs coming.

I don’t care how much he weighs, if a 6 ft 260 lb kid that can squat 750 and bench 400+ gets coached up on his technique, he’s going to be hell for a fat OLineman to deal with. Look at Donald, he’s small by NFL standards, but is insanely strong and quick. Adding 10 lbs muscle and 10 lbs of of fat on him would only hurt his effectiveness.

Reactions: ATACFD
All the o lineman bench over 4 I would imagine

it depends on where u line him up. If he’s a true nose size becomes more of an issue imo

I don’t care how much he weighs, if a 6 ft 260 lb kid that can squat 750 and bench 400+ gets coached up on his technique, he’s going to be hell for a fat OLineman to deal with. Look at Donald, he’s small by NFL standards, but is insanely strong and quick. Adding 10 lbs muscle and 10 lbs of of fat on him would only hurt his effectiveness.

Of all the kids that signed LOIs this week, this young man made a great choice. I mean, I am biased cause WSU is a friggin’ awesome school. But for what his skill set is and what he can do, he 150% chose the right scheme. A lot of kids pick schools because of things that dont matter. They get blinded by shiny things or other peoples opinions.

He has the tools to wreck shop in this scheme. This is exactly the right place for him.

Reactions: Coug90 and Wasichus
I would imagine most our Olinemen don’t bench over 400 lbs. The majority are 6’ 5” and up which with limbs that long 400 is like a short guy benching 500.

When you weigh 300 pounds+ a 400 bench is really not that great. I am pretty sure everyone of the O lineman that have been in the weight room for 4 years and weigh 300+ pounds can get 4 or darn close.

Im talking about O Line starters not true freshman tackles that are 6-5 and 240.

I would imagine most our Olinemen don’t bench over 400 lbs. The majority are 6’ 5” and up which with limbs that long 400 is like a short guy benching 500.

It takes a little longer to develop that kind of power on a taller frame. There is a reason why the world’s strongest man competitors are trending towards being tall.

The big OL from Finland is a JC player with interest.
A homegrown NG, with a boulder on his shoulder. Reminds me a bit of Taylor Comfort's situation. I hope he finds his way to Pullman.
He's way ahead of Taylor coming out of high school. He should begin to compete after a RS season.

Yeah not every big dude benches 400+. That’s an impressive number. There’s plenty of NFL Linemen that don’t hit that level. Most of the big guys coming OUT of college are in the 20-25 rep range on the pro-bench which is like 355-385 max. Yeah there’s the occasional guy that busts out 30+ but that’s rare.

Look at the nfl combine 225 numbers

20 reps is 365 which is pathetic for an nfl o lineman

if you can barely bench your body weight you are a tub of lard

Last edited:
Look at the nfl combine 225 numbers

20 reps is 365 which is pathetic for an nfl o lineman

if you can barely bench your body weight you are a tub of lard
Not disagreeing with your point but these are the numbers
https://www.pro-football-reference....T&pos[]=OG&pos[]=DT&show=all&order_by=year_id

Most guys aren’t benching over 400. Very few are. These are the elite players that are invited to the combine.

Nathanial is an exceptionally strong kid...Will be stronger as a freshman than 90% of the PAC-12 O-Linemen will be next year.

Now will that translate on the field...Who knows but he obviously works his ass off so wouldn’t doubt him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/nfl-combine-results.cgi?request=1&year_min=2019&year_max=2019&pos[]=OT&pos[]=OG&pos[]=DT&show=all&order_by=year_id

Most guys aren’t benching over 400. Very few are. These are the elite players that are invited to the combine.

Nathanial is an exceptionally strong kid...Will be stronger as a freshman than 90% of the PAC-12 O-Linemen will be next year.

Now will that translate on the field...Who knows but he obviously works his ass off so wouldn’t doubt him.

It isnt a long list of guys that can press that kind of weight. For starters, its a lot of weight. Also, the PAC 12 strength coaches are shit across the board. The entire conference is weak.

It isnt a long list of guys that can press that kind of weight. For starters, its a lot of weight. Also, the PAC 12 strength coaches are shit across the board. The entire conference is weak.
You don’t like Yosemite Sam from Oregon?

I may be overshooting by 20 pounds, 23 reps is 380 + or - 10 pounds 370-390 bench. O line play is more about lower body strength and technique anyway.

Its really besides the point. The point is the starting O lineman 4th/5th year seniors are massive strong guys. Do you think Fred Mauigoa 6-4 310 is going to have trouble with a 6 foot 255 pound guy across from him ? I think the freshman is going to need to put on 20-25 pounds to play right away , just my opinion.

I hope he will become a warren sapp type player. But we are getting off on a tangent and its not a bodybuilding or a bench contest.

Im also biased by what ive seen in the gym and when I was in college. Plenty of guys run cycles in the off season too.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/nfl-combine-results.cgi?request=1&year_min=2019&year_max=2019&pos[]=OT&pos[]=OG&pos[]=DT&show=all&order_by=year_id

The kid is stupid strong. He's got NFL lift numbers as a HS senior. He also should be tough for OL to get their hands on and slow down. The concern is that he's more of a power lifter than football player, but his strength and size are more than adequate.

Kids who want to develop and are willing to put in the effort still need guidance. A kid who will spend all the time you want in the weight room but won't run cannot maximize his potential, and the reverse is true also. I loved the Leach Beach for at least two reasons. One is sheer endurance conditioning. The other was the way that the infamous "high ankle sprain" disappeared. Get a kid who will take instruction, make an effort across a broad spectrum of exercise and stay disciplined and that kid will go somewhere unless his DNA simply will not do anything with all that effort. Leach has historically done a good job of identifying attitude in his recruiting efforts. That is no accident.

The big OL from Finland is a JC player with interest.

He's way ahead of Taylor coming out of high school. He should begin to compete after a RS season.

I didn't say he reminded me of TC, I said it reminds me of TC's situation. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog,

I didn't say he reminded me of TC, I said it reminds me of TC's situation. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog,
I guess I should of said "and" as if to add to what you were saying instead of subtracting from what you were saying:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT