ADVERTISEMENT

Portal update and NIL

Good question, Chief. I like them both and I agree Logie would have the advantage of PNW connections, but WSU doesn't rely heavily on PNW recruiting. Henderson has 5 years of being a D-1 coach, Logie only has 1 year. Henderson has averaged 22 wins a year and that includes a 16-win team during Covid when the Jackrabbits only played 23 games. In short, Henderson has a longer track record of success at D-1. Nonetheless, as noted, Logie has been offered the job and I hope he takes it.

Glad Cougar

Which is why WSU, Schultz STUPIDLY turned that down in favor of Logie, only to maybe lose Logie due to more of his, Schultz's stupidity, and then be stuck with Riley or worse yet probably lose Riley as well due to even more stupidity.

I blame both the interim AD, the AD, Schultz as well, because in this kind of situation sometimes you have to overrule your temporary interim AD, and step in take over, and make the Smart, good hire, instead of your interim AD, burning your house down, etc

Which is why WSU, Schultz STUPIDLY turned that down in favor of Logie, only to maybe lose Logie due to more of his, Schultz's stupidity, and then be stuck with Riley or worse yet probably lose Riley as well due to even more stupidity.

I blame both the interim AD, the AD, Schultz as well, because in this kind of situation sometimes you have to overrule your temporary interim AD, and step in take over, and make the Smart, good hire, instead of your interim AD, burning your house down, etc
Is a coach from the Summit league really any better than one from the Big Sky? And how do we know WSU passed on Henderson and not the other way around or if he was ever really a top candidate. Sounds like after the interviews it was between Logie and Riley.

No surprise there as Yesufu said that he might could stay at WSU for another year because of his injury.

He waited a while. He was probably waiting to see what WSU would do.

After the current WSU HC hiring Debacle, he decided not to stay. I expect Watts, others except only Parker Gerrits to leave after this Debacle, as I got to be honest, that if I was in their shoes, I would leave WSU too, AFTER THIS DEBACLE.

Is a coach from the Summit league really any better than one from the Big Sky? And how do we know WSU passed on Henderson and not the other way around or if he was ever really a top candidate. Sounds like after the interviews it was between Logie and Riley.

It's more the program South Dakota, Henderson is to basketball, what NDSU, North Dakota St, was to football.

Back when Michigan lost to Appalachian St, NDSU could, would have not only beaten them, but probably semi Spanked Michigan, if they had played Michigan that year.

FCS level in football, bball almost always has at least, at most 1 college, that's light years ahead of the rest of the FCS, Soumit League, Big Sky, etc, and that should be in the MWC, AAC, etc, not FCS, etc, in football, bball.

NDSU, and South Dakota St are such colleges in both football, bball.

So yes they are that much better then Big Sky, Soumit League, etc.

It was only between Logie and Riley, after the interviews, because of the STUPIDITY of Schultz, and the interim AD, etc.

Henderson wouldn't have interviewed for the Job, if he wasn't sincerely interested, if he shouldn't have been a, the front runner, etc, for the job.

Only way Henderson would have turned down WSU after the interview with WSU, is if WSU made the type of SHITTY offer that WSU, Schultz, AD made to Logie.

WSU, Schultz, AD could, should have had Henderson, if they wanted, if they were smart enough, but they either stupidly turned him down after the interview, or stupidly offered him a Logie like SHIT deal that Henderson said no to just like Logie is considering doing.

In any case, they could have, should have gotten Henderson, and at about a price that they could probably afford(900k to 1.4 mil)

Bottom line WSU, Schultz, the AD has stupidly made a mess, Debacle out of this.

It was only between Logie and Riley, after the interviews, because of the STUPIDITY of Schultz, and the interim AD, etc.

Henderson wouldn't have interviewed for the Job, if he wasn't sincerely interested, if he shouldn't have been a, the front runner, etc, for the job.

Only way Henderson would have turned down WSU after the interview with WSU, is if WSU made the type of SHITTY offer that WSU, Schultz, AD made to Logie.

WSU, Schultz, AD could, should have had Henderson, if they wanted, if they were smart enough, but they either stupidly turned him down after the interview, or stupidly offered him a Logie like SHIT deal that Henderson said no to just like Logie is considering doing.

In any case, they could have, should have gotten Henderson, and at about a price that they could probably afford(900k to 1.4 mil)

Bottom line WSU, Schultz, the AD has stupidly made a mess, Debacle out of this.
All you people and your conspiracy theories. We know maybe 5% of what is going on. It is ridiculous at this point to blame anyone for things we do not know much about.

It's more the program South Dakota, Henderson is to basketball, what NDSU, North Dakota St, was to football.

Back when Michigan lost to Appalachian St, NDSU could, would have not only beaten them, but probably semi Spanked Michigan, if they had played Michigan that year.

FCS level in football, bball almost always has at least, at most 1 college, that's light years ahead of the rest of the FCS, Soumit League, Big Sky, etc, and that should be in the MWC, AAC, etc, not FCS, etc, in football, bball.

NDSU, and South Dakota St are such colleges in both football, bball.

So yes they are that much better then Big Sky, Soumit League, etc.
Actually SDSU is 500 vs Big Sky opponents under Henderson. And David Riley’s EWU team beat SDSU by 14 last year.

On top of that he lost two years ago to 9-22 Idaho team that WSU beat by 48 points.
He is a solid coach but certainly not a world beater.

Last edited:
I live in the Dakotas and Mik is correct about NDSU & SDSU being powerhouse programs in football at the FCS level. But the Big Sky is usually not far behind in football. Every year, it has been NDSU/SDSU in the semifinals against either Montana or Montana State. When it comes to basketball, however, SDSU might be the best program in the Summit League right now, but it's still a one bid conference for the NCAA Tournament, just like the Big Sky. I rate the two conferences as equal when it comes to basketball.

Henderson, who would be my choice for WSU, is a good coach but he was an assistant who inherited an excellent program from his boss, Otzelberger and has been able to keep it going. Logie inherited an empty cupboard from Sprinkle and still somehow got MSU into the NCAA Tournament.

I won't speculate on how things went and whether Henderson was stiffed by WSU. For all I know, he might have pulled his name out of the running based on the uncertainties surrounding WSU at this time (He doesn't know who his AD will be, what conference WSU will be in a couple of years, etc.). Remember that interviews are a two way street....the prospective employee is also "interviewing" the employer and making an assessment of whether that's a place they want to work and the kind of people they want to work for & with. Too much unknown to get upset at this time....at least for me.

Glad Cougar

Sorry, couldn't cut and past it...similar info but also states that one of MSU main players, Eddie Turner, put his name in the portal just a couple hours after the offer was made to Logie.

I'm not saying that Kyle Smith, current roster, and the last 10 years OOC record vs WCC, etc, is going up against WCC. And a trash WSU team would not rip thru WCC.

But that best case scenario, in your words of Henderson, and the core I mentioned, and assuming good recruits, etc, that PROBABLY would at least semi rip thru at least most of the WCC, except Gonzaga, St Mary's, and would probably be about 14-6, 13-7 vs the WCC, and would probably go about 10-10, 9-11, 8-12, vs the PAC 12, before the 10 left.

I'm not talking about, and we should not be talking about what Kyle Smith, and his WSU team, and what the past 10 years of WSU teams would either do or not do to WCC.

I'm only talking about WHAT THAT BEST CASE SCENARIO WOULD LIKELY DO TO WCC, and that is that that best case scenario would probably rip thru WCC.
Sorry Mik, last 15 years is a lot more relevant to this discussion than whatever happened in the 80s and 90s. Right now with the AD in uncertainty and the bball program looking for a new coach, we are middle of the pac in the WCC. Just reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT