ADVERTISEMENT

This is getting ridiculous

It should absolutely be allowed.

If kids want better academics... they can transfer left and right.

If you have crappy teachers/admin, no harm no foul.

To think that a kid needs to stay at a school that has a shitty coach and can take away from what they deserve is moronic. And the family shouldn't have to sell a house and move to make it work.

I love seeing schools and coaches trying to make high school athletics year round + full speed.

Screw the schools that think coaches should only "babysit" for 3 month.

Open enrollment and kids switching schools has been prevalent for the last 15 years. Longer than that in Seattle.

The only difference now is that apparently coaches can be out in the open recruiting athletes instead of through back channels.

Reactions: Coug90
Open enrollment and kids switching schools has been prevalent for the last 15 years. Longer than that in Seattle.

The only difference now is that apparently coaches can be out in the open recruiting athletes instead of through back channels.
the problem with the transfer portal as it stands right now is it’s be becoming a mark of prestige. In my estimation a lot of kids are hitting the portal because it’s the cool thing to do and everyone’s doing it not m because there’s a better situation for them. It’s so cringe to see some kid in a good situation being productive on a good Coug team only to see him end up riding the pine somewhere else and ending up at a FCS school within 2 years.

I’ve seen enough bat flips and stare downs in high school to know these kids care about copying their college and pro hero’s first. A lot of kids are going to do dumb shit with this “transfer portal” label. A lot of kids also have dipshits for parents who think they are going pro.

More solid proof competitive athletics needs to completely separate from schools.
But no one cares to watch HS club sports except for parent's and an occasional scout/college coach. I’d hate to see the local HSs lose sports as a way to unify the students. A game like Rubber Chicken in Spokane (LC vs Ferris) gets 5-6k every year and a huge percentage of the students to attend. For the players and students, it’s a highlight of HS.

On the west side, crowds have fallen off a cliff.

Occasionally when Factory schools meet in the playoffs, you’ll see decent crowds but those are few and far between.

My smaller HS had a great FB coach from my 8th grade year through my Jr year. He was hired by a GSL school and we got a guy fresh out of the army (a ranger captain) as our coach in my Sr year. He had no clue how to coach high school kids...I could go on, but let's just say that our performance that season fell way short of where it should have been, and most of that was on our coach.

Having said that, I probably learned more about dealing with idiots in leadership positions from my Sr season in FB than from any two other experiences in my life. I think that is a common experience, from what I have seen in the many decades since that time. It certainly prepared me for things I ran into later. And unlike when you later run into it in your career, having that experience in HS sports is relatively no harm/no foul. I guess my point is that creating systems that give kids the idea that they can skip through their life without dealing with difficult situations is not doing them a favor.

More solid proof competitive athletics needs to completely separate from schools.
I mean men's basketball effectively has - AAU (or whatever version of year round travel ball) is more important than playing for your HS team. I feel like hs baseball might be this way too, as well as softball, maybe someone else can chime in?

This has been going on in club sports for eons where their parents can freely have them change teams every year. No surprise it would eventually bleed over to school teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT