ADVERTISEMENT

WCC and Cougs

You have got to be F-ing kidding me. If true, how many idiot decisions can we make?

Let's just say F it and move to the Big Sky.
No, my good buddy! This is awesome news!!!

It's official: Oregon State and Washington State are going to execute the 2 year stall tactic! YAHOO!!!!!!

The next two seasons, all sports but football will compete in the WCC.

2024 football competes in the MWC as part of the scheduling agreement.

2025 we still need to figure out a new football schedule.

Summer of 2026, when the MWC TV contract ends, we poach the best of their conference and form a new west coast PAC-X.

YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!!

(Just say "no" to relegating WSU and OSU to G5 status with this reverse merger non-sense.)

Reactions: LeachPack
You have got to be F-ing kidding me. If true, how many idiot decisions can we make?

Let's just say F it and move to the Big Sky.
You know what cracks me up about Cougs....they think everyone else at the bargaining table has our view and perspective. Yes...we should hold out for a better offer. Meanwhile lets get the 55k stadium built too. We have no money but we can make these things happen because we are Cougs....

How did you think this was going to play out. WE got screwed by Benedict (UW) and Arnold (Oregon)

have fun playing in Bloomington and W Lafeyette....

Nick Daschel part 1

Nick Daschel part 2

Nick Daschel's article in The Oregonian

Nick Daschel is the sports reporter for Portland's "The Oregonian" newspaper. He covers the Beavers. Before joining The Oregonian, he was a sports reporter for years for Vancouver's "The Columbian". This story is moving fast.

Regarding this from Daschel's article in The Oregonian:

>> Baseball is a possibility, and those discussions are continuing.

The Oregon State baseball team has won 3 national championships in the last 20 years. No one else in the NCAA, including LSU, can match that. We have, at minimum, the premier west coast baseball program. So it's good to read that scheduling for the baseball team is being handled very carefully.

Last edited:
You know what cracks me up about Cougs....they think everyone else at the bargaining table has our view and perspective. Yes...we should hold out for a better offer. Meanwhile lets get the 55k stadium built too. We have no money but we can make these things happen because we are Cougs....

How did you think this was going to play out. WE got screwed by Benedict (UW) and Arnold (Oregon)

have fun playing in Bloomington and W Lafeyette....
God, no kidding. This is great news for the Olympic sports. It might even move the needle towards something I've been pushing for since all of this realignment stuff happened which is a schedule alliance between the MWC, WCC, and Pac-2.

???

What's the impetus for this affiliation with the WCAC instead of extending the football partnership with the Mountain West to all sports?

Will a P-2 deal with the WCAC be better financially and exposure-wise due to Gonzaga's sweetheart deal with ESPN?

What are Schultz and the OSU president looking to accomplish with this manuever?

I don't get it, unless it's to prove we didn't leave for another conference to rake in more of the pac 12 money, and avoid claims by others. If it was to save money, just join the Big Sky and get it over with. Read something about Baseball at OSU being independent and possibly WSU baseball as well.

I don't get it, unless it's to prove we didn't leave for another conference to rake in more of the pac 12 money, and avoid claims by others. If it was to save money, just join the Big Sky and get it over with. Read something about Baseball at OSU being independent and possibly WSU baseball as well.
Only thing I can think of is that it’s otherwise financially burdensome to try and cobble together schedules for all of the other sports for two years, football is the only one that’s relatively manageable. So this is a temporary arrangement while realignment continues to be fluid, and doesn’t mean we are WCC come 2026. Otherwise this makes little sense to me.

When was the last basketball sellout at Beasley?

Gotta figure the place will be packed with 12,000-plus when the Zags come to town

Gotta figure the place will be packed with 12,000-plus when the Zags come to town
I don’t think so. It will draw. Should be a decent student showing. But the zags arena only seats like 5K, they aren’t all coming down. And Spokane thumbs their collective nose at Coug athletics anyways. You’ll get 6-7K would be my guess. Still way better than anything else.

"Hey (recruit), we're going to play in the WCC next season and then the following year, who knows!"

I'm OK with this, mainly because these other sports don't move the needle (still curious what is going on with baseball, though). It's a little disappointing with men's basketball ... I can't imagine recruiting guys to mostly play WCC games is that pleasant of a task, and there are some very good programs in the MWC. See my first sentence above, though ... doesn't really matter that much.

Some possible reasons for doing this instead of doing all sports with the MWC:

- Relative ease; the WCC is probably even happier than the MWC to schedule current/former P5 teams in other sports.
- Cost ... I have to assume this is easier and cheaper than doing these sports with the MWC.
- Showing our fans that WSU and Oregon State aren't just becoming de facto MWC members and paying for the privilege. If WSU just did an alliance with the MWC in all sports, that would be a pretty common sentiment.

I'm OK with this, mainly because these other sports don't move the needle (still curious what is going on with baseball, though). It's a little disappointing with men's basketball ... I can't imagine recruiting guys to mostly play WCC games is that pleasant of a task, and there are some very good programs in the MWC. See my first sentence above, though ... doesn't really matter that much.

Some possible reasons for doing this instead of doing all sports with the MWC:

- Relative ease; the WCC is probably even happier than the MWC to schedule current/former P5 teams in other sports.
- Cost ... I have to assume this is easier and cheaper than doing these sports with the MWC.
- Showing our fans that WSU and Oregon State aren't just becoming de facto MWC members and paying for the privilege. If WSU just did an alliance with the MWC in all sports, that would be a pretty common sentiment.
Will make the bus trips easier. On another note, I hat this $***

Reactions: 425cougfan
Both BB programs, soccer, and VB get hurt by this, methinks.
I really don't get this response. It solves the problem of scheduling in a whole variety of sports for the next two years. The WCC has several basketball programs that have consistently been better than us and every bit as good as the top of the now defunct Pac-12. Gonzaga and St. Mary's have consistently gone to the NCAA tourney and Santa Clara just beat us. As other posters have pointed out this move preserves options for the future while putting all sports into a good competitive environment that also reduces travel costs. Seems like a smart decision to me.

I really don't get this response. It solves the problem of scheduling in a whole variety of sports for the next two years. The WCC has several basketball programs that have consistently been better than us and every bit as good as the top of the now defunct Pac-12. Gonzaga and St. Mary's have consistently gone to the NCAA tourney and Santa Clara just beat us. As other posters have pointed out this move preserves options for the future while putting all sports into a good competitive environment that also reduces travel costs. Seems like a smart decision to me.
agree, traveling to Hawaii (MWC) in all sports just adds up.

WSU athletics is more than just football or men's basketball.

This hurts the reputations of WBB, soccer, and VB. The former Pac-12 was a gauntlet, and a coach could sell going up against those "elite" programs and beating them. Now, it's a massive drop off.

Sure, it's easier travel. Sure it might leave options on the table. But in the moment? Pretty brutal.

I was at the final WSU/GU game in Pullman. There were maybe 5k in the building, and most of them were Coug fans.

This is a temporary move while the bigger move takes shape. No other way to interpret this.

Reactions: Coug-Vandal

This hurts the reputations of WBB, soccer, and VB. The former Pac-12 was a gauntlet, and a coach could sell going up against those "elite" programs and beating them. Now, it's a massive drop off.

Sure, it's easier travel. Sure it might leave options on the table. But in the moment? Pretty brutal.
It’s not like they picked the WCC over the PAC12. WCC or mtn West both have warts but we needed a date.

I was at the final WSU/GU game in Pullman. There were maybe 5k in the building, and most of them were Coug fans.
No, wait. I was at that last final game, and the place was packed. I think we won it. There was some punk Gonzaga fan strolling down the concourse screaming shit and flipping us off..

Being the hothead that I am when drunk, I got out of my seat and was going down to punch the punk in the face. Thankfully Security got there first and ejected him.

I was there too. Actually 8k+. I remember their being a lot of zag fans but I don’t think you’ll see as many next year. In 2015 it was still hard to get zag tickets and this was the only way a lot of their fans could see them play. By now, it’s not as exclusive to get into the Kennel, especially with all their trashy non-conference games.

I don't disagree entirely, but on the other hand, where are the West coast recruits going to go apart from UW, Oregon, Cal, or Stanford? WSU campus environment for Women's athletics is better than most programs on the West coast.

I was there too. Actually 8k+. I remember their being a lot of zag fans but I don’t think you’ll see as many next year. In 2015 it was still hard to get zag tickets and this was the only way a lot of their fans could see them play. By now, it’s not as exclusive to get into the Kennel, especially with all their trashy non-conference games.

Oh I guess we lost, This dementia is killing me :)

Disagree in the sports that are not football. COUGS' MBB via Pac12 has not been that big of a boost in recruiting/retention. Zero NCAA bids since Bennett and just a few NIT bids. No nba current pros other than Thompson. How long ago was that?

Meanwhile, Gonzaga has placed over a handful of players in the association. Players that are either regular contributors or bonafide starters.

The attraction of the WCC is the potential for a bid to the tournament. The only tournament that matters. It's an easier path.

I say playing in the WCC just might help attract and keep better talent. That's all I have to say about that.

Disagree in the sports that are not football. COUGS' MBB via Pac12 has not been that big of a boost in recruiting/retention. Zero NCAA bids since Bennett and just a few NIT bids. No nba current pros other than Thompson. How long ago was that?

Meanwhile, Gonzaga has placed over a handful of players in the association. Players that are either regular contributors or bonafide starters.

The attraction of the WCC is the potential for a bid to the tournament. The only tournament that matters. It's an easier path.

I say playing in the WCC just might help attract and keep better talent. That's all I have to say about that.
F that. I'm so sick of this fixation with "making the tournament" in BB and FB or anything else.

This is a stepping stone. Two years can be a long or a short time. But time just the same to keep Athletics at WSU to forge ahead to find a solution. WSU/OSU are playing the cards they were dealt and they have IMHO are still at the table playing. Until they fold, I will hold out for the best

Sure more women's soccer, volleyball and basketball teams from the PAc-12 go to the tourney. So we have to win or place maybe 2nd in the WCC to go. That doesn't seem like a burden to me. Again, this seems to me to be a good short term option while we continue to consider all the other options. It isn't "brutal" and we don't really know the effect on recruiting. I've been a Pac fan ever since it was the Pacific Coast Conference --I hate all this but it is what we have to deal with.

Football drives revenue, but other teams do make up the entirety of WSU athletics.

I don't expect many to agree with me this isn't a great move for the majority of WSU's teams. If it leads to something bigger with significance (not just a reverse merger with the MWC or similar) in the next two years, then crow will be served and eaten. However, I contend athletes and staff alike may not want to stick around for two years while things are in flux or end up similar to the WCC/MWC agreements.

Although I cannot confirm whatsoever, it seems likely this type of move is why someone like Jen Greeny leaves. Do you think successful coaches Schulenberger or Ethridge are going to want to stick around if this continues?

So sure, if you're an athlete and want to play on the West Coast and you're not going to a "big" school now, WSU is an option. But is WSU going to beat out UCLA for soccer players anymore? WBB just won the P12 tournament and now their prize...shifting to the WCC.

Sure more women's soccer, volleyball and basketball teams from the PAc-12 go to the tourney. So we have to win or place maybe 2nd in the WCC to go. That doesn't seem like a burden to me. Again, this seems to me to be a good short term option while we continue to consider all the other options. It isn't "brutal" and we don't really know the effect on recruiting. I've been a Pac fan ever since it was the Pacific Coast Conference --I hate all this but it is what we have to deal with.
It's the reality, I recognize that.

Athletes are hungry to play against the best. Like it or not, the teams WSU used to play against was a recruiting chip WSU could use. Now they can't. There won't be any more Trinity Rodman's picking WSU over UCLA.

As I said earlier, I'm likely the minority here, but it's what I see as the reality.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I don't disagree entirely, but on the other hand, where are the West coast recruits going to go apart from UW, Oregon, Cal, or Stanford? WSU campus environment for Women's athletics is better than most programs on the West coast.
They'll may ask themselves if they want to stay on the West Coast. They may want to stay closer to home if they're out of state.

The landscape is changing. Time will tell if it's for the better or not.

While I agree with a lot of what you say.

Franks, Efe, Gueye, CJ, Klay are NBA.

That's about 4,5 players in NBA since the Klay, Bennet years.

And Chinyelu is projected by lots of sources as a future NBA prospect player

Last edited:
F that. I'm so sick of this fixation with "making the tournament" in BB and FB or anything else.

In Men's NCAA Div 1 college basketball, making either the NCAA tournament, or going to the NIT elite 8, final 4, is almost EVERYTHING.

And the NCAA tournament is still extremely POPULAR.

Actually WCC has been getting 3 bids to NCAA Tourny.

And 1 time, WCC has 4 bids, teams to NCAA tourny.

Gonzaga, St Mary's, Santa Clara, San Francisco, San Diego are USUALLY good teams, except for the exceptions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT