ADVERTISEMENT

12 Greatest Cougs

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Don't know if you watched it, but Pac-12 network had their "12 Greatest Cougs" special on the other night. The list:

21077680_10154964841331801_118112018017486220_n.jpg

Can't really argue with any of them. Mark Rypien, Steve Broussard, Marcus Trufant, and Lamont Thompson undoubtedly deserved consideration. Gleason deserves an honorable mention for his bravery in the face of ALS.

I take this from those who should know and they say Hein #1. Hein obviously goes way back but he's always talked about in somewhat of a class of his own.

I would be interested to know what other felt about the list. Some other names I thought of like Hugh Campbell, Keith Lincoln, and Clancy Williams not on the list.

I take this from those who should know and they say Hein #1. Hein obviously goes way back but he's always talked about in somewhat of a class of his own.

I would be interested to know what other felt about the list. Some other names I thought of like Hugh Campbell, Keith Lincoln, and Clancy Williams not on the list.
I think Mark Fields should be considered in there, and possibly Millard.

DeWayne Patterson deserves mention as well.

And I think Tru has to be on the list, probably in place of Goddard. I get Goddard's accolades, but I think 2 guys from pre 1950 is probably enough.

O'Connell should be on if he can garner AA accolades again. Not a lot of multi year AAs in program history (and yes, I know this contradicts my last post).

A guy on the NFL's all-century team probably deserves serious consideration for the #1 spot at his alma mater. On the other hand, reaching #2 as a center - beating out every QB ever - says quite a lot.

My chief criticism that this list seems to give a little too much weight to good seasons versus good careers. I'd rank both Leaf and Gesser ahead of Bledsoe, and probably Gesser ahead of Leaf. I'd drop Rien Long in favor of Trufant or Lamont Thompson, possibly Millard. As much as I loved watching The Ghost, I'd probably swap Harrison for Broussard.

Others who may be worthy of consideration: Brian Forde, Deone Buchanon

A guy on the NFL's all-century team probably deserves serious consideration for the #1 spot at his alma mater. On the other hand, reaching #2 as a center - beating out every QB ever - says quite a lot.

My chief criticism that this list seems to give a little too much weight to good seasons versus good careers. I'd rank both Leaf and Gesser ahead of Bledsoe, and probably Gesser ahead of Leaf. I'd drop Rien Long in favor of Trufant or Lamont Thompson, possibly Millard. As much as I loved watching The Ghost, I'd probably swap Harrison for Broussard.

Others who may be worthy of consideration: Brian Forde, Deone Buchanon

It was made very clear that being selected for an award was a heavy factor in this list. So, you are 100% correct that they are rewarding big seasons. I'd agree that in terms of their time at WSU, Gesser and Leaf should have been higher than Bledsoe. 10-3 & 10-2 with Rose Bowl appearances trump 9-3 and the Copper Bowl.

I think Mark Fields should be considered in there, and possibly Millard.

Mark Fields was a dominating linebacker. We've never had one like him since '94. I'd replace Long with Fields on this list. Long certainly was one of the greats, but he benefited from the rotation Doba had in place.

I agree with your list, except that Mel Hein, in my eyes, should be #1. Also, Jason Hanson should most likely be better than #7. It's all subjective, and most of the old timers are all gone, but from what I understand, Mel Hein is and was the greatest.

It was made very clear that being selected for an award was a heavy factor in this list. So, you are 100% correct that they are rewarding big seasons. I'd agree that in terms of their time at WSU, Gesser and Leaf should have been higher than Bledsoe. 10-3 & 10-2 with Rose Bowl appearances trump 9-3 and the Copper Bowl.
Didn't see the show, so I missed that criteria. I disagree with that approach. I'd I'm selecting the 12 best ever, I'm picking the ones who did it over the long haul. Trufant and Thompson beat Long, because while Rien had an outstanding season (underscored by a huge performance against USC), Marcus & Lamont impacted how offenses played us for 2-3 seasons each.

Didn't see the show, so I missed that criteria. I disagree with that approach. I'd I'm selecting the 12 best ever, I'm picking the ones who did it over the long haul. Trufant and Thompson beat Long, because while Rien had an outstanding season (underscored by a huge performance against USC), Marcus & Lamont impacted how offenses played us for 2-3 seasons each.

Agree that Trufant and Thompson deserve more respect based on their overall career. One name that hasn't been mentioned by anyone but was someone that was absolutely dominant before he injured his wrist and tore an ACL is a our favorite rancher........Will Derting. He was a phenomenal football PLAYER who didn't have the measurables but had a nose for the ball and incredible instincts. If he had been healthy his last two seasons, I think he would be a consideration for the list and perhaps still should be at least an honorable mention.

Reactions: kayak15 and 79COUG
Agree that Trufant and Thompson deserve more respect based on their overall career. One name that hasn't been mentioned by anyone but was someone that was absolutely dominant before he injured his wrist and tore an ACL is a our favorite rancher........Will Derting. He was a phenomenal football PLAYER who didn't have the measurables but had a nose for the ball and incredible instincts. If he had been healthy his last two seasons, I think he would be a consideration for the list and perhaps still should be at least an honorable mention.
Agree if he had been healthy. Great Coug but as it is I probably would put Darling over Derting in terms of career. Neither would be on a top 25 all-time to me though. Brian Forde tops both.

I think Robbie Tobeck should be in this conversation as well, Jason Hill perhaps? Leon Bender? Shoot, Jason David was great CB as well that had a decent NFL career.

I think Robbie Tobeck should be in this conversation as well, Jason Hill perhaps? Leon Bender? Shoot, Jason David was great CB as well that had a decent NFL career.
Tobeck? I didn't see the show so I am not sure what the criteria was? Was it about the NFL as well?

Tobeck? I didn't see the show so I am not sure what the criteria was? Was it about the NFL as well?

The show focused primarily on accolades that players received while in college. They didn't say that was the criteria to qualify, but awards and honors were the primary items mentioned when going over each player. Stats were important too, but single season stats were more important than career stats.

Tobeck had a nice, long NFL career, but at WSU, he was "only" a 2nd team All Conference selection. He wouldn't be a top 12 OL at WSU, let alone top 12 at any position.

Haven't seen Broussard talked about much. If we're talking WSU career, he is the all time leader in TDs and all purpose yards in WSU history.

Don't know if you watched it, but Pac-12 network had their "12 Greatest Cougs" special on the other night. The list:

21077680_10154964841331801_118112018017486220_n.jpg

Can't really argue with any of them. Mark Rypien, Steve Broussard, Marcus Trufant, and Lamont Thompson undoubtedly deserved consideration. Gleason deserves an honorable mention for his bravery in the face of ALS.

Bledsoe is clearly the most recognizable name on the list, and was a supreme QB talent, NFL first pick, the most gifted Coug ever, but what did he actually do playing for the Cougs to deserve to be on the 12 all time list? He played two amazing games to end his career, granted. However, in the first 10 games of the 1992 season he had thrown only 15 TDs and suffered 15 INTs, and his PER was a lowly 118. Had he played remotely like Rosie, Gesser, Leaf, Falk, Brink the 1992 team, the most talented, top to bottom, in school history, would have been Price's first Rose Bowl team.

Finally, any Cougar all time list that doesn't include, or even acknowledge, Keith Millard, demonstrates utter ignorance of Cougar football. A Morris Trophy winner (best DL voted on by P-10 OLs), 1st round draft pick, 170 tackles as a DL, 39.5 TFL -- in just two seasons, 12.5 sack in a season during an era QBs threw only 20 times a game. He went on to become NFL defensive player of the year and set an NFL sack record as a DT. He was, and remains, the greatest defender in school history. He was our Mark Fields of the 80s, but did it in back to back seasons. He was Rien Long, but who unlike Rien, never took a snap off and proved himself as an ultra elite player at the next level.

What the F more did Keith Millard need to do to be on that list -- it can only be ignorance that kept him off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT