ADVERTISEMENT

4th best conference in the country?

Not a big USC fan, but really hoping they make the CFP. They seem to be our best hope this year (and of course, much better to see them in the top four than the one there last year).

Media's keeping track of how many times each conference gets left out. OTOH, when they come to Pullman, screw SI.

The ACC has made great strides in recent years. Are they better top to bottom than the P12? Pretty much a toss up.

That's SI's opinion...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/21/conference-power-rankings-sec-acc-big-ten

I don't disagree. SEC not #1 in their opinion.

Well, it doesn't look good for the Pac-12 that WSU couldn't beat an FCS team, Boise State or a middling Minnesota team, but managed to go 7-0 in the conference to start with. If we hadn't choked against the Gophers, the B1G might not be at the top of that list. So, you could argue that we did everyone a favor by helping them get the SEC love tampered slightly.

It's a testament to how good the SEC was for years that they are still #2. That was a mediocre conference last year but salvaged some honor with a good performance in bowl games.

I agree that the ACC has done a tremendous job of improving their brand over the last few years. Of course, only time will tell if it's more of a confluence of good to great QB's at one time (Watson, Jackson, Kaaya, Francois et al) or if they really have built something.

The Pac-12 will get more love if UCLA doesn't suck this year and if teams like ASU don't melt down in the second half. Teams like WSU need to take care of business against teams from outside the conference. Looking back at last season, WSU could have been 10-0, ranked in the top 10 and holding a 17-14 lead against CU at halftime last year but failing to execute consistently saw us limp to an 8-5 finish. For the record, I'm not complaining about 8-5, that's just how far we've come.

One quibble about the article was their commentary on the Big 12. Anyone who thinks that a schedule with Oklahoma, O-State, Baylor, TCU, and KSU is an easy one to face every year is a fool. That list doesn't even include Texas, a team so loaded with underachieving all stars that even UCLA gets a little embarrassed at their performance. A solid, middle of the road program like Texas Tech gets eaten alive on an annual basis in that grinder. Just because they don't have 12 teams doesn't mean that it's a weak conference. It's too bad for them (but not us) that they don't realize that adding Memphis and Louisville when they had a chance would have been a smart move.

Have to pretty much agree with Flat, almost across the board.

PAC suckage against outside teams has to be viewed objectively, and that means that if we don't beat teams we should beat, then it reflects badly on the conference. The Cougs are certainly a piece of that, but far from the only ones.

The ACC has clearly upgraded, but they were so bad for so long, they could improve light years and still not be level with the rest of the group. I don't see them as being in the same breath with the traditional power conferences if considered from top to bottom, but an objective observer would have to admit that they have some stars from top to bottom, and they took care of business for the most part last year. SI appears to have rose tinted ACC glasses, but they are not being ridiculous. Let's see how the ACC does this year before drawing any conclusions, however.

I have to agree with Flat re: the B12. We could beat to death the role of Texas in both the weaknesses and strengths of the B12, but bottom line is that a mid-level PAC or B10 or SEC team would be hard put to dominate a mid-level B12 team. Probably the PAC, B10 or SEC (in most years) would end up winning more than 50% over time, but not way more than 50%. And the best team in the B12 in any given year would be a coin flip with the best team in the other 3 conferences.

I'm not sure the ACC can say the same, but I have to admit that they have come a long way in terms of getting themselves out of the hole that they had dug for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT