ADVERTISEMENT

5 seed, in Spokane!

Just released Bracketology

While a 5 sounds good, the 5-12 pairing is the second most common upset. 5s only win about 65%.
Don’t know anything about Samford, but getting by them would bring likely matchups with Baylor and Purdue….neither of which I feel good about.

The ESPN bracketology has us facing #12 Princeton in the first round and likely #3 Alabama in the second round. FWIW, Alabama has lost three out of their last four games. They have a great offense but a trash defense. I'd like our chances to get to the sweet 16 even though Princeton will be dangerous.

The ESPN bracketology has us facing #12 Princeton in the first round and likely #3 Alabama in the second round. FWIW, Alabama has lost three out of their last four games. They have a great offense but a trash defense. I'd like our chances to get to the sweet 16 even though Princeton will be dangerous.
Wouldn’t we play a 4/13 winner?

Reactions: Coug90
Just released: Joe Lunardi holding firm on Cougs as a #5 vs. #12 in Spokane!
Magic formula is win tomorrow and win one in the p12 tourney. If we do that I think we stand firm and end up a 5. If Arizona falters and/or we win the p12 tourney I think we climb to a 3 or 4. The outright conference win over zona will bump us imo.

Palm also has us against Princeton but as a 6-seed. Princeton is always scary. Knocked off UCLA all those years ago (96) and knocked off 2-seed Arizona last year in Round 1.

Princeton probably tops the list of likely lower seeds that I would not want to play. Probably followed by Richmond. Both have a history of some big upsets in the early rounds.

That slow-down, possession game that Princeton used to play (no idea if they still do) gave people fits. Would have been interesting to see our Bennett teams against them though...I can imagine a high school score, like 38-35.

Magic formula is win tomorrow and win one in the p12 tourney. If we do that I think we stand firm and end up a 5. If Arizona falters and/or we win the p12 tourney I think we climb to a 3 or 4. The outright conference win over zona will bump us imo.

Agree with this. As stupid as the NET ranking is, it's part of the evaluation and that may keep us lower than we might otherwise be. Beat the mutts tomorrow and get one win in the tourney and I think we are a solid 5. We probably have to beat Arizona to win the Pac-12 tournament to get to a 4 seed. I'm not sure that I can envision them giving us a 3 seed unless we start wrecking teams. So far, most of our games have been knife fights and I don't see close wins against a poorly regarded group of Pac-12 teams getting the committee excited.

Agree with this. As stupid as the NET ranking is, it's part of the evaluation and that may keep us lower than we might otherwise be. Beat the mutts tomorrow and get one win in the tourney and I think we are a solid 5. We probably have to beat Arizona to win the Pac-12 tournament to get to a 4 seed. I'm not sure that I can envision them giving us a 3 seed unless we start wrecking teams. So far, most of our games have been knife fights and I don't see close wins against a poorly regarded group of Pac-12 teams getting the committee excited.
My reasoning for a potential for a 3. If we win out and beat Arizona AGAIN we won’t be a lower seed than them. I think we’d both be 3 seeds, especially if they lose one in LA and we win both the outright p12 and tourney. The selection committee has plenty of darling bias but I don’t even think they could F that up.

Reactions: Glad Cougar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT